I have a series and need to post a story that is in between two existing stories

NewGuy2022

Learning
Hello,

I'm working on story 12 in a series but accidentally forgot to post the story between 7 and 8. If I name it 7.5 will it be placed inbetween 7 and 8?

I'd re-number 8 to 9 so the new one can be 8.

I don't know whether 7.5 would "go between" 7 and 8 or not. Maybe, just based on alphabetical order? I assume you're adding the story to the series manually rather than expecting the automation to work, you know, that feature where I hear identically titled stories with sequential numbers at the end somehow automatically get seriesed together. I don't think this automation would know what to do with "7.5."

As far as manually adding the story to the series goes, I don't know if the order will be determined alphabetically, or by the sequential digits, or by order of publication. Without any further information, this is why I'd publish the new story as 8 and re-title the old #8 as 9. At least it's a reliable approach where you know what'll happen.

Hello,

I'm working on story 12 in a series but accidentally forgot to post the story between 7 and 8. If I name it 7.5 will it be placed inbetween 7 and 8?
The autosequencing algorithm sorts on an alphanumeric basis, so no, 7.5 wouldn't follow 7 and come before 8.

The best solution, I think, would be to submit a 7A chapter title. That should automatically sort like this:
Ch. 07
Ch. 07A
Ch. 08

If it doesn't automatically sort correctly, use the Manual Series function to slot 7A into the right place, once that chapter is live.

I'd re-number 8 to 9 so the new one can be 8.

I don't know whether 7.5 would "go between" 7 and 8 or not. Maybe, just based on alphabetical order? I assume you're adding the story to the series manually rather than expecting the automation to work, you know, that feature where I hear identically titled stories with sequential numbers at the end somehow automatically get seriesed together. I don't think this automation would know what to do with "7.5."

As far as manually adding the story to the series goes, I don't know if the order will be determined alphabetically, or by the sequential digits, or by order of publication. Without any further information, this is why I'd publish the new story as 8 and re-title the old #8 as 9. At least it's a reliable approach where you know what'll happen.
Thanks - How do I renumber them without resubmitting them?

Thanks - How do I renumber them without resubmitting them?
That's how you do it - follow the "edit a story" procedure.

As described at the link above, the "edit a story" procedure requires you to submit a new story with the original title and the word EDITED at the end to signal the admin that it's supposed to replace the published version of that story.

The only wrinkle which that page doesn't spell out is that if the title is the part you want to change, then you explain that in the "notes to the admin" field when you submit the edited story. That's where you would put the instruction to the admin to change the title, and what to change it to. The process assumes you're changing the text of the story, but if you fill in the note to the admin, then the process can accommodate a title change too.

The admin will update the originally published story, so, your views and score won't get erased.

Thanks - I appreciate it. I'll try the 7a method first but eventually submit edits. Last time I tried an edit was a long time ago under another name and it never got posted. I can't blame them - it is my fault I messed up and they aren't getting paid so whatever the editors have time for is appreciated.

Thanks - I appreciate it. I'll try the 7a method first but eventually submit edits. Last time I tried an edit was a long time ago under another name and it never got posted. I can't blame them - it is my fault I messed up and they aren't getting paid so whatever the editors have time for is appreciated.
If the 7A approach works, I'd leave it. Doing another go-around to tidy up the chapter numbering would mean at least two edits, which wastes your time and the site's time.

Readers are clever, they'll figure it out.

Numbering it 7.x will work. I had the same issue, I wanted to add a chapter between 12 and 13. I numbered it 12.1 and it's in proper order.

It might be easier to simply edit the existing #7 and put the missing text into #7. That would be a pretty normal edit and shouldn't cause any problems with it getting done.

Back