How to learn Spanish.

Jada59

Literotica Guru
I took a year of Spanish, a year of French and was married to an Italian. If anything, I know more Spanish than the other two but not very much. I am trying to learn it now. I really don't want to spend money on learning though.

I did a kid's program online. That taught me some words. Most of the words I'm not likely to use. Unless I visit a farm. It was a fun way to learn though.

Then I tried the free trial portion of another program. It was good when it started out, then rapidly went over my head! But between that and the other program, I'm pretty sure I can pronounce things well and know how to write or type sentences.

I tried some Youtube videos with varying degrees of success. The best seems to be a series by Paul. I started with the hour long one. I whipped through about 11 minutes of it easily. And then my head hurt, Paul was giving me too many words at once and expecting me to string them together into long sentences. Sometimes I just could not. And I am stuck on some words and phrases such as: Hacer(lo), algo, ahora, aqui, estar and some others. No matter how many times Paul tells me what those words mean, I can't remember them.

The good thing is when I was washing my mask, I remembered the word for "bubbles". Didn't think I would ever remember that!

At the rate I am going, I wonder how I ever learned English! My new guy is from El Salvador and I think he speaks English very well, but he wants to practice with me because he mostly speaks Spanish at work. I figure since I am locked down until I don't know when, I would learn some Spanish.

Where am I going wrong? Am I trying to do too much at once? Trying too many different things? I tried many purchased things in the past with my daughter and we both gave up because aside from remembering a few select words, we failed repeatedly! Are there any tricks to learning a new language?

You want to find someone who either has fluent or comparable knowledge of the other language, whichever it is. then start speaking to them in only that language. Have a scenario where you can casually talk with the person in a relaxed setting, like having coffee, and chit-chatting with them like you would if you were talking with them in english.

Watch a TV program with your friend/chat partner, but don't watch a program in the language you are trying to learn. It's too much, too quickly. Instead, ask questions about the movie/tv show.

You should first learn "How do you say..." this way, you can continue in the same reference, and be able to ask about a word you aren't sure how to say, or point to that which you want to learn how to say. Your friend/chat partner should review certain phrases you asked from the previous time. Write down words you had to ask about, and don't write it in english, ask them to spell the word in the foreign language (so you learn the alphabet).

In time, after you have gotten key phrases down, try to go to restaurant where they are bilingual. Go during the off hours so the order taker isn't frazzled. Ask how dishes are served, etc. Anything that you normally would say in english. Go with the person you've been reviewing with so they can help if you get stuck. Don't sweat it if you do get stuck. You have to actively use the language to learn it, otherwise you'll get rusty, quickly.

Put flash cards around your house, with the foreign word spelled on it. Get into the habit of saying that word in the other language instead of english.

The best way to memorize something is to hear it, read it, then repeat it.

And don't use those foreign language programs. It might help you become familiar with the vocabulary and what they mean, but the only way to get over the nervousness of speaking in a foreign language is to use it with someone.

Spanish is tricky because it's not just foreign words, but also the sentence structure that is different.

My new guy is from El Salvador and I think he speaks English very well, but he wants to practice with me because he mostly speaks Spanish at work. I figure since I am locked down until I don't know when, I would learn some Spanish.

A possible compromise for you two. What some mixed-language couples have done is to agree to speak nothing but one language one day. The next day, nothing is said but in the other language. PRN. And no cheating with television or radio programmes - I'm sure you can find Spanish ones.

Oh, Braille is exempt. :D

Good luck, whatever your solution.

The Spanish Dulolingo course is good. And free. It doesn't cover everything, but it gets you to a basic conversational level, and practising with native speakers will help boost you further. I'm currently learning German and it's almost fun.

That is one language that everyone in high school took... well except me and several others. I took German. I wanted to know what they German soldiers were really saying on Combat.

I also learned Korean from native speakers. The ROC guards we were paired with when I was stationed there helped and I helped them improve their English.

Neither of them are very useful today. Go figure. Now I wished I had taken Spanish in high school. I live in Texas and everyone, well not everyone, speaks Spanish. Go figure.:eek:

I second Duolingo, and recommend watching shows in Spanish with English subtitles. It's a slow way to build vocabulary unless you really go back and watch over and over again, but it helps a lot with pronunciation.

The only issue is you eventually get to a point where you understand what the person said literally, but the translated subtitles are different from what the words actually mean, either because it "sounds better" in English or it's a slang usage or something.

You want to find someone who either has fluent or comparable knowledge of the other language, whichever it is. then start speaking to them in only that language. Have a scenario where you can casually talk with the person in a relaxed setting, like having coffee, and chit-chatting with them like you would if you were talking with them in english.

Watch a TV program with your friend/chat partner, but don't watch a program in the language you are trying to learn. It's too much, too quickly. Instead, ask questions about the movie/tv show.

You should first learn "How do you say..." this way, you can continue in the same reference, and be able to ask about a word you aren't sure how to say, or point to that which you want to learn how to say. Your friend/chat partner should review certain phrases you asked from the previous time. Write down words you had to ask about, and don't write it in english, ask them to spell the word in the foreign language (so you learn the alphabet).

In time, after you have gotten key phrases down, try to go to restaurant where they are bilingual. Go during the off hours so the order taker isn't frazzled. Ask how dishes are served, etc. Anything that you normally would say in english. Go with the person you've been reviewing with so they can help if you get stuck. Don't sweat it if you do get stuck. You have to actively use the language to learn it, otherwise you'll get rusty, quickly.

Put flash cards around your house, with the foreign word spelled on it. Get into the habit of saying that word in the other language instead of english.

The best way to memorize something is to hear it, read it, then repeat it.

And don't use those foreign language programs. It might help you become familiar with the vocabulary and what they mean, but the only way to get over the nervousness of speaking in a foreign language is to use it with someone.

Spanish is tricky because it's not just foreign words, but also the sentence structure that is different.

I know all the cooking and restaurant stuff. I was even able to translate recipes from Spanish to English. I know how to ask how to say things. Don't watch TV so maybe he will have one. He did mention watching a movie.

He and I are working together. He was doing really well until he got really horny and then... Well? I guess the language goes right out of everyone when they get horny. Ha!

Thanks!

A possible compromise for you two. What some mixed-language couples have done is to agree to speak nothing but one language one day. The next day, nothing is said but in the other language. PRN. And no cheating with television or radio programmes - I'm sure you can find Spanish ones.

Oh, Braille is exempt. :D

Good luck, whatever your solution.

Thanks! Since I don't have a TV (okay I do but it's not hooked up), I can't watch that. He seems more focused on learning the English, but I will work with him.

The Spanish Dulolingo course is good. And free. It doesn't cover everything, but it gets you to a basic conversational level, and practising with native speakers will help boost you further. I'm currently learning German and it's almost fun.

Ah... That's the one I didn't look into. I looked into two others that claimed to be free, but they weren't.

I second Duolingo, and recommend watching shows in Spanish with English subtitles. It's a slow way to build vocabulary unless you really go back and watch over and over again, but it helps a lot with pronunciation.

The only issue is you eventually get to a point where you understand what the person said literally, but the translated subtitles are different from what the words actually mean, either because it "sounds better" in English or it's a slang usage or something.

I see. I did pick up some slang from Carlos. I will look up that program later tonight. Thanks!

I took a year of Spanish, a year of French and was married to an Italian. If anything, I know more Spanish than the other two but not very much. I am trying to learn it now. I really don't want to spend money on learning though.

I did a kid's program online. That taught me some words. Most of the words I'm not likely to use. Unless I visit a farm. It was a fun way to learn though.

Then I tried the free trial portion of another program. It was good when it started out, then rapidly went over my head! But between that and the other program, I'm pretty sure I can pronounce things well and know how to write or type sentences.

I tried some Youtube videos with varying degrees of success. The best seems to be a series by Paul. I started with the hour long one. I whipped through about 11 minutes of it easily. And then my head hurt, Paul was giving me too many words at once and expecting me to string them together into long sentences. Sometimes I just could not. And I am stuck on some words and phrases such as: Hacer(lo), algo, ahora, aqui, estar and some others. No matter how many times Paul tells me what those words mean, I can't remember them.

The good thing is when I was washing my mask, I remembered the word for "bubbles". Didn't think I would ever remember that!

At the rate I am going, I wonder how I ever learned English! My new guy is from El Salvador and I think he speaks English very well, but he wants to practice with me because he mostly speaks Spanish at work. I figure since I am locked down until I don't know when, I would learn some Spanish.

Where am I going wrong? Am I trying to do too much at once? Trying too many different things? I tried many purchased things in the past with my daughter and we both gave up because aside from remembering a few select words, we failed repeatedly! Are there any tricks to learning a new language?
First & most importantly, I'm pleased that Senor El Salvador is working out well !

As far as language goes, I simply suggest that, while he is practicing his English with you, that you, in turn should practice Spanish with him! You will have a built-in incentive to learn acqui & ahora in no time !
But when things heat up to Caliente!, just go with the flow & enjoy!

I feel your pain. When I asked my wife why she doesn't converse with me in her native tongue any more, she (half jokingly) replied "because I don't like having to repeat myself all of the time". She was a teacher in a community foreign language school, and I still couldn't get it to stick. I think it's because I wasn't using the language for critical thinking or evaluating concepts. I only used it in class and everything was rote memorization. Maybe I should try again.

First & most importantly, I'm pleased that Senor El Salvador is working out well !

As far as language goes, I simply suggest that, while he is practicing his English with you, that you, in turn should practice Spanish with him! You will have a built-in incentive to learn acqui & ahora in no time !
But when things heat up to Caliente!, just go with the flow & enjoy!

I'll try that. Thanks! I reviewed Paul's mini lesson again. Still botched a few words but got most right. Went on to the 2nd one. Whipped through the first half, even with new words thrown in, buy then kinda tanked. Paul wants me to say super long sentences like... I would love to do that with you tomorrow, but I can't because I have to work. There's no way I would say that in English. I'd just say something like... I can't. I have work.

I'm going to rest on it, review the vocabulary at the end of the first one again and maybe the end of the second one, then go through the second one again.

I also have the feeling that I'm being taught the formal way of speaking. I'm sure the native speakers use slang and such.

I feel your pain. When I asked my wife why she doesn't converse with me in her native tongue any more, she (half jokingly) replied "because I don't like having to repeat myself all of the time". She was a teacher in a community foreign language school, and I still couldn't get it to stick. I think it's because I wasn't using the language for critical thinking or evaluating concepts. I only used it in class and everything was rote memorization. Maybe I should try again.

I think that's why I tanked in French. We were taught such things as... Where is the book? There is the book! And... My uncle Fred wants to buy a pencil. I actually did have an uncle Fred but AFAIK, he never wanted to buy a pencil, much less a French pencil.

Haha yeah, I have the same issue. My girlfriend wants me to learn her native language, but won't talk to me in it because it's too frustrating for me not to understand her. A bit of a catch-22.

I've picked up some basics from being around her family, but you can't learn a language without more exposure.

I think that's why I tanked in French. We were taught such things as... Where is the book? There is the book! And... My uncle Fred wants to buy a pencil. I actually did have an uncle Fred but AFAIK, he never wanted to buy a pencil, much less a French pencil.

This is something that frustrated me about Duolingo. Instead of teaching you the conversation basics you actually need first, they teach you all these words that don't exactly seem high priority (do I really need to learn "the elephant is blue" or "the spider is hungry" before I learn "hi, how are you? where's the bathroom? can I get a coffee?").

The only program I've tried that jumped straight into useful sentences was Pimsleur, but that you have to pay for.

Haha yeah, I have the same issue. My girlfriend wants me to learn her native language, but won't talk to me in it because it's too frustrating for me not to understand her. A bit of a catch-22.

I've picked up some basics from being around her family, but you can't learn a language without more exposure.

This is something that frustrated me about Duolingo. Instead of teaching you the conversation basics you actually need first, they teach you all these words that don't exactly seem high priority (do I really need to learn "the elephant is blue" or "the spider is hungry" before I learn "hi, how are you? where's the bathroom? can I get a coffee?").

The only program I've tried that jumped straight into useful sentences was Pimsleur, but that you have to pay for.

Thanks!

I'll try that. Thanks! I reviewed Paul's mini lesson again. Still botched a few words but got most right. Went on to the 2nd one. Whipped through the first half, even with new words thrown in, buy then kinda tanked. Paul wants me to say super long sentences like... I would love to do that with you tomorrow, but I can't because I have to work. There's no way I would say that in English. I'd just say something like... I can't. I have work.

I'm going to rest on it, review the vocabulary at the end of the first one again and maybe the end of the second one, then go through the second one again.

I also have the feeling that I'm being taught the formal way of speaking. I'm sure the native speakers use slang and such.

Beware native speakers. Vernacular is one thing, functional illiteracy, something else.

My ex taught hs Spanish, and she always had a few native speakers that had never learned their own language.

I know all the cooking and restaurant stuff. I was even able to translate recipes from Spanish to English. I know how to ask how to say things. Don't watch TV so maybe he will have one. He did mention watching a movie.

He and I are working together. He was doing really well until he got really horny and then... Well? I guess the language goes right out of everyone when they get horny. Ha! ...

I'm sorry I glossed over that you have a new guy that speaks spanish. The rest of my advice is solid. It sounds like you have a fairly good vocabulary, so what you need to do is practice conversation. That is not something you can do with a program. Programs are passingly good at teaching vocabulary, and conjugation.

Spanish, by and large, doesn't have slang. They have different dialects, and sometimes, especially in Central/South America, they have a blending of different languages. There are three primary languages in South America. Spanish, portuguese, and the native language. I forget what the native language is called, but it predates the other two as it was spoken before the other two settled in the area.

Quecha, I think, is the South American native language, Nawat is the native language from El Salvador. No program will be able to help you out there. Depending on how much of the native language is in an area of a country, they might have a blending of vocabulary.

There are different spanish dialects, with their own vocabulary. Castilian is the form that is spoken on TV shows and news programs. Most Spaniards understand Castilian but very few use it in conversation. Then there are accents. They may use the same language as a neighboring country, but they pronounce the words differently. For instance, in Chile' they tend to emphasize the CH sounds in words.

edit: different countries have a different perspective of the world. This too is something programs can't teach. For instance, to South Americans, there is no such thing as "Central America," it's all South America. Everybody "knows" there are 7 seas, right? Wrong. In spanish speaking countries, there are 5 seas. These are (some of) cultural perspectives which can't be learned from a program.

Last edited:
Beware native speakers. Vernacular is one thing, functional illiteracy, something else.

My ex taught hs Spanish, and she always had a few native speakers that had never learned their own language.

Oh wow. At this point, I am just hoping to pick up a few new words.

I'm sorry I glossed over that you have a new guy that speaks spanish. The rest of my advice is solid. It sounds like you have a fairly good vocabulary, so what you need to do is practice conversation. That is not something you can do with a program. Programs are passingly good at teaching vocabulary, and conjugation.

Spanish, by and large, doesn't have slang. They have different dialects, and sometimes, especially in Central/South America, they have a blending of different languages. There are three primary languages in South America. Spanish, portuguese, and the native language. I forget what the native language is called, but it predates the other two as it was spoken before the other two settled in the area.

Quecha, I think, is the South American native language, Nawat is the native language from El Salvador. No program will be able to help you out there. Depending on how much of the native language is in an area of a country, they might have a blending of vocabulary.

There are different spanish dialects, with their own vocabulary. Castilian is the form that is spoken on TV shows and news programs. Most Spaniards understand Castilian but very few use it in conversation. Then there are accents. They may use the same language as a neighboring country, but they pronounce the words differently. For instance, in Chile' they tend to emphasize the CH sounds in words.

edit: different countries have a different perspective of the world. This too is something programs can't teach. For instance, to South Americans, there is no such thing as "Central America," it's all South America. Everybody "knows" there are 7 seas, right? Wrong. In spanish speaking countries, there are 5 seas. These are (some of) cultural perspectives which can't be learned from a program.

I can't remember what the word or words were now, but when I showed some pics of snow to a guy from Mexico, he said something that meant "Hells yeah!" So I think that is slang.

Back