HBO "Paradise Lost" Documentary - comments?

Laurel

Kitty Mama
Hey all... watched the second part of HBO's documentary on the "West Memphis Three", and the whole case breaks my heart. Wanted to know if anyone here had seen it or were familiar with the case, and what your opinions on it might be.

Here's a website with info: http://www.wm3.org/

It's basically a case where three teenagers were tried and convicted on no evidence of the murder and mutilation of 3 children. The supposed "motive" was Satanism, though none of the kids were into Satanism. There was absolutely no physical or circumstantial evidence pointing to the 3 as the killers, but since the 3 looked different and one of them was into the occult (how many moody teenagers don't go through that phase?), the jury sentenced them all to life imprision, except for the supposed "leader" who was sentenced to death.

Since they were convicted, a great deal of evidence has been found ruling them out as the killers, including bite marks found on the victims that do not match any of the 3 suspected killers. There's so much more that I can't go into it here, but all evidence points toward the father of one of the boys being the killer. Absolutely nothing points toward these 3 boys. It's ridiculous - corrupt, small-town cops trying to find a killer to pacify everyone. It's unbelievable.

Yes, I had seen the first documentary and I had meant to tape the one that came on wednesday but I forgot. Damn. Anyway, that just seemed such a shame how those little boys were killed. They were just babies practically. I know someone that is from that area and way before this documentary cam out he said that one of the boy's stepfather probably did it because he was crazy, and that he was also responsible for his wife's death. It really is a shame about what happened to the boys convicted of the crime. One of them is legally retarded I think.
Laurel did they say whether or not they would retry this case of not? I hope this comes on again so I can tape it.

I don't think it's gonna be retried as of yet, though it will be... Big names like Barry Scheck and Brett Turvin are getting involved. With the new evidence (the bite marks, etc.) I don't see how their convictions won't be overturned. But who knows? They did lose their first appeal, but that was before the same judge that allowed their conviction to begin with. I'd hope that if they took the appeal to a high court (and a judge with half a brain), they'd have to let them free.

You have to go to that site - www.wm3.org - and read about the case. It's shocking.

I live a couple hundred miles from West Memphis, so I remember all the headlines when the case first broke. And it is some scary, scary shit. Scary that the hillbilly justice down there could get away with some of the things they have gotten away with. Scary that none of the prosecutors, defense attorneys - anyone with a pulse - couldn't see that something is horribly wrong with the father of one of the dead children; that man just seems so evil! He makes a case for anyone who is unsure about their religious beliefs to go running as far from religion as is humanly possible. But one thing about the second part - I missed the first hour (had to watch the Sopranos, you know?)... who were the two guys and the girl from California, and what did they have to do with the case?

EOD

Laurel this show totally creaped me out that father is one sick bastard. There is no way those 3 boys should be in jail NO WAY!! because the supposed leader had teenage agnst we are to belive that he did those crimes, bullshit.
I have to say if I were a person in that community I would be real careful because it is only a matter of time before that funky freak does something else along the same lines. Then how will the procecuters react.

ya those three guys are innocent they were put in jail because of the way they acted the father is a guilty bastard

hi laurel...i just caught the replay of the show...i can't believe the things i saw...was the judge & jury of the trial deaf & blind? that is the only way i figure something as grossly unjust as this could happen....the stepfather is as guilty as can be..he tells more stories than the bible he waves..i hope for everyones sake that the courts make him release his dental records so they can compare it to the bite...and send his ass to the chair...what a world we live in..
cp

Back