Have I "made it?"

AmberSolis

Virgin
Reading a story on Literotica by another author, and at the end, where the site lists other, similar stories, what do I see? One of my stories listed!

Yes, it's a little thing, won't even pay for a cup of coffee, sure. But I'm over the moon about it!

Congrats, I guess. It is not clear how similar stories are selected (I’ve looked at tags and they don’t necessarily match.) but you may experience an uptick in views on that story.

Congrats, I guess. It is not clear how similar stories are selected (I’ve looked at tags and they don’t necessarily match.) but you may experience an uptick in views on that story.

I believe it's based on common favorites, i.e., the number of readers who favorited your story and also favorited story X. The stories that appear on the lists tend to be the most popular (in views and favorites) of the stories of their particular categories and types.

Reading a story on Literotica by another author, and at the end, where the site lists other, similar stories, what do I see? One of my stories listed!

Yes, it's a little thing, won't even pay for a cup of coffee, sure. But I'm over the moon about it!

It's a cool thing because it means your stories (that story, anyway) will get more attention and more readers, and therefore favorites, and it will move up the similar stories lists, and the process grows on itself. It's a good way to build readership.

Congratulations Amber! Your stories are hugely arousing to me, and many other Lit members I'm sure. It is a big thing, and let that thrill roll around in your mind for a couple of weeks! Glad this made you very happy, I'm an author too, and when readers say good things about your work it makes me want to keep writing erotica if others enjoy it.

Not everyone can write well, or be creative in forging a story from empty sheets of paper. Your very good at both, look forward to your future works also.

Mine got rejected

I believe it's based on common favorites, i.e., the number of readers who favorited your story and also favorited story X. The stories that appear on the lists tend to be the most popular (in views and favorites) of the stories of their particular categories and types.
This could be one explanation but then how could the moderators choose 'similar' stories on a brand new story that has just been published? No one has had the time to favorite it when it is just published. The algorithm is probably more complicated than that.

This could be one explanation but then how could the moderators choose 'similar' stories on a brand new story that has just been published? No one has had the time to favorite it when it is just published. The algorithm is probably more complicated than that.

I think you are right. I think it starts off being one thing and evolves into another. In the beginning it must be based on similarity of tags -- what else could it be without more data? Over time it becomes based on common favorites. I know that's true because when I look at similar stories lists for some of my older stories tags don't seem to have much to do with it.

Mine got rejected
If what I am about to say is stuff you already know, please forgive me.

Do you mean to say that a story you submitted was rejected for publication by the Literotica Admins? If so, that's not the end of the world. I've had stories get rejected initially on this site for unintentionally violating submission guidelines, like not making it super clear that both persons are of the age of majority. And honestly, I usually "cheat" a bit and just make the youngest characters 19. Stories can also be rejected for formatting issues, like using unusual fonts, that sort of thing.

There aren't many rules here on what you can't put in a story, but they're serious about the few restrictions they do have.. They have to be, otherwise, they (the Literotica site, in general) get in trouble with the authorities. Nobody wants that!

Back