George Will Writes Good Arguments and Bad Arguments, by John Engelman

JohnEngelman

Virgin
Because I enjoy investigating different points of view, I am always willing to read a good argument, and frequently willing to read a bad argument. In The Leveling Wind, which is an anthology of George Will’s columns and speeches from 1990 to 1994 I had the opportunity to read both.

In February 28, 1994 Will made a speech in the Reagan Library. He made three assertions that merit scrutiny. First, “By the time President Reagan left office the deficit, as a percentage of [Gross Domestic Product] GDP had been declining for six years.”

If you click on the following website:

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/national-debt-by-year-compared-to-gdp-and-major-events-3306287

You will find a chart compiled by The Balance that shows how the national debt in dollars, and as a percentage of GDP, has fluctuated from 1929 to 2022. The Balance got its data from ten sources, including three from the United States Department of the Treasury, one from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, and one from The World Bank Group.

1980 was the last full year Jimmy Carter was president. During that year the national debt was $908 billion. The national debt as a percentage of GDP was 32%.

The last six years Reagan was president were 1983 to 1988. In 1983 the national debt was $1,377 billion. The national debt as a percentage of GDP was 37%. In 1988 the national debt was $2,802 billion. The national debt as a percentage of GDP was 50%.

Second Will wrote, “The key to America’s success has been job creation – 19 million in the Reagan years.”

According to a Wall Street Journal article that appeared Jan 9, 2009, during the Carter administration an average of approximately 2,600,000 jobs were created every year. During the Reagan administration that declined to approximately 2,000,000 jobs created every year.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/01/09/bush-on-jobs-the-worst-track-record-on-record/

Correct my arithmetic if you need to, but according to my calculations: 2,000,000 x 8 = 16 million. Moreover, President Carter had better numbers on job creation. Don’t argue with me about that. Argue with The Wall Street Journal.

Finally Will wrote, “Nowadays, economic distress moves America to the right, not the left.”

Economic distress still hurts the party that occupies the White House. During the campaign of 1976 Carter invented the term “misery index.” The misery index is computed by adding the inflation rate to the unemployment rate. Carter was able to show that during the eight years Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford had been president the misery index rose. Unfortunately for Carter, the misery index continued to rise during the Carter administration. Reagan was elected in 1980.

During the 1992 campaign between President George H.W.Bush and Bill Clinton there was a recession. Clinton said, “It’s the economy, stupid,” and was elected.

Another factor, which Will hints at, is that when class is the issue, as it certainly was during the Great Depression, Democrats win. When race is the issue, as it was in 1988, and has been periodically since then, Republicans win.

Will makes his best arguments when he points out how the good intentions of President Johnson’s Great Society have usually yielded bad results. After the assassination of President Kennedy there were five years of increasingly destructive black ghetto riots. There were more enduring increases in crime and illegitimacy among blacks and whites.

George Will is a man of impressive intelligence and learning. This is obvious from reading “The Leveling Wind.” Unfortunately, and like most people, he occasionally allows his likes and dislikes to distort his judgment of what is true and false. I do that too, but I try not to.

It's amazing to me that no matter the discussion topic, you find a way to make it about race.

It's amazing to me that no matter the discussion topic, you find a way to make it about race.
Race wrecked liberalism. It destroyed the New Deal Coalition that had dominated the United States from the elections of 1932 to 1964. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the War on Poverty that was declared the same year were followed by a black ghetto riot in Harlem. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 was followed by a bigger black ghetto riot in Watts, Los Angeles. The Open Housing Act of 1968 was followed by black ghetto riots throughout the United States.

These black ghetto riots contributed to the election of Richard Nixon as president in 1968, and to the rise of George Wallace as a national politician. There were no black ghetto riots of any significance during Nixon's first term. This was not because President Nixon ended poverty and racial inequality. It was because potential black ghetto rioters knew that Nixon would be quite a bit harsher on them than President Johnson had been. Because of Nixon's tough policy Whites rewarded Nixon with a landslide victory over George McGovern in 1972, although the War in Vietnam was becoming unpopular.

Race wrecked liberalism. It destroyed the New Deal Coalition that had dominated the United States from the elections of 1932 to 1964. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the War on Poverty that was declared the same year were followed by a black ghetto riot in Harlem. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 was followed by a bigger black ghetto riot in Watts, Los Angeles. The Open Housing Act of 1968 was followed by black ghetto riots throughout the United States.

These black ghetto riots contributed to the election of Richard Nixon as president in 1968, and to the rise of George Wallace as a national politician. There were no black ghetto riots of any significance during Nixon's first term. This was not because President Nixon ended poverty and racial inequality. It was because potential black ghetto rioters knew that Nixon would be quite a bit harsher on them than President Johnson had been. Because of Nixon's tough policy Whites rewarded Nixon with a landslide victory over George McGovern in 1972, although the War in Vietnam was becoming unpopular.
Yes, your entire worldview revolves around race. There is literally not a single topic that you don't blame blacks for ruining.

You continue to think this is a debate.

Why do black people piss you off so much?
You deflect to avoid answering my question. That question once again: What did I say that is not true?

This is a debate I win hands down, because everyone knows that what I say is true.

Lol....tell us more about how blacks are inferior and Asians are superior and how that's not racist.
It should be obvious to you that I do not care if anyone calls me a racist or not. My racism consists of saying what nearly everyone privately knows is true.

I have never said "blacks are inferior and Asians (I would say Orientals) are superior." I do not think and speak in terms of absolute categories, but in terms of averages and tendencies. What I have said and now repeat is that blacks tend to lack characteristics that are important to civilization, and Orientals and whites tend to have them. These characteristics are intelligence, obedience to the law, and monogamy.

It should be obvious to you that I do not care if anyone calls me a racist or not. My racism consists of saying what nearly everyone privately knows is true.

I have never said "blacks are inferior and Asians (I would say Orientals) are superior." I do not think and speak in terms of absolute categories, but in terms of averages and tendencies. What I have said and now repeat is that blacks tend to lack characteristics that are important to civilization, and Orientals and whites tend to have them. These characteristics are intelligence, obedience to the law, and monogamy.
Yes and it should be obvious to you that I'll continually call out and mock your inability to live your life without the focus on blacks and race.

You've never said the words "blacks are inferior" yet that is what you continue to argue. Whether you admit it or not is not my issue.

Yes and it should be obvious to you that I'll continually call out and mock your inability to live your life without the focus on blacks and race.

You've never said the words "blacks are inferior" yet that is what you continue to argue. Whether you admit it or not is not my issue.
Insults, name calling, and obscene words are all you have.

I am aware that there are intelligent, monogamous Negroes, and that there are stupid, promiscuous white criminals.

Blacks look good on the basketball court. There may be two or three Negroes in the United States who have less basketball talent than I have. They were never in my gym class in high school.

Insults, name calling, and obscene words are all you have.

I am aware that there are intelligent, monogamous Negroes, and that there are stupid, promiscuous white criminals.

Blacks look good on the basketball court. There may be two or three Negroes in the United States who have less basketball talent than I have. They were never in my gym class in high school.
Yes, I get that you don't like insults. If you werent a racist asshole, you'd get less of them from everyone.

Back