Disney screams, No Mas

Tampa Bay Free Press

Disney Drops Lawsuits Against Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, Concedes Last-Minute Deal Void​

Governor DeSantis will hold a press conference on Wednesday at 12:15 p.m. in Orlando. This story will be updated after the press conference.

https://www.tampafp.com/disney-drop...ight-district-concedes-last-minute-deal-void/

"We are glad that Disney has dropped its lawsuits against the new Central Florida Tourism Oversight District and conceded that their last-minute development agreements are null, void, and unenforceable.”

DeSantis Communications Director Bryan Griffin

"The Mouse says 'No mas'" or "'No mas' for The Mouse" are far better thread titles.

And there isn't one Deplorable regular here who would've been clever enough to come up with them - which speaks volumes. 😎

DeSantis settled (caved), and Disney’s federal case against DeSantis is still going forward.

👍

“Separately, in January a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit Disney filed accusing DeSantis of weaponizing his political power to punish the company for exercising its right to free speech. Disney quickly filed an appeal, but it will now put that on hold “pending negotiations” on a new development deal, among other matters, with the district.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/business/desantis-disney-fight-reaches-settlement/index.html

Tampa Bay Free Press

Disney Drops Lawsuits Against Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, Concedes Last-Minute Deal Void​

Governor DeSantis will hold a press conference on Wednesday at 12:15 p.m. in Orlando. This story will be updated after the press conference.

https://www.tampafp.com/disney-drop...ight-district-concedes-last-minute-deal-void/

"We are glad that Disney has dropped its lawsuits against the new Central Florida Tourism Oversight District and conceded that their last-minute development agreements are null, void, and unenforceable.”

DeSantis Communications Director Bryan Griffin
Yep, but Disney's development plan from 2020 moves forward. That is not a loss for Disney, and DeSantis keeps his board, so that isn't a loss for him. Seems the losers are the Lawyers on both side, and that's a win for us all!!

Yep, but Disney's development plan from 2020 moves forward. That is not a loss for Disney, and DeSantis keeps his board, so that isn't a loss for him. Seems the losers are the Lawyers on both side, and that's a win for us all!!

And, as mentioned, Disney has NOT dropped their federal lawsuit against DeSantis. Disney has DeSantis by the balls, and how hard they squeeze will likely depend on how favorable of a deal the get from the state.

If Disney gets a sweetheart deal, will they drop their federal lawsuit against DeSantis???

🤔

Definitely something to watch.

👍

And, as mentioned, Disney has NOT dropped their federal lawsuit against DeSantis. Disney has DeSantis by the balls, and how hard they squeeze will likely depend on how favorable of a deal the get from the state.

If Disney gets a sweetheart deal, will they drop their federal lawsuit against DeSantis???

🤔

Definitely something to watch.

👍
Not to mention the Board chair resigned as part of the deal. Of course the Federal case is on going, but given this settlement, I'm sure that case to will be resolved without going to trial.

I'm sure that case to will be resolved without going to trial.

Only with a development deal that is heavily in Disney’s favor, imho.

That deal definitely bears watching.

👍

Disney has officially come out and stated that they are pushing back their lawsuit while the deal is being negotiated. - Sounds like a classic example of leveraging, no???

🤔

Only with a development deal that is heavily in Disney’s favor, imho.

That deal definitely bears watching.

👍

Disney has officially come out and stated that they are pushing back their lawsuit while the deal is being negotiated. - Sounds like a classic example of leveraging, no???

🤔
Disney got it's development deal, the Florida settlement wiped out the last minute "fuck you" from Disney to DeSantis, but the approved 2020 development plan of Disney will now move forward. Which I suspect is what Disney wanted to ensure. Disney invested many millions in that plan, and were in no way about to watch DeSantis fuck it up.

Disney got it's development deal, the Florida settlement wiped out the last minute "fuck you" from Disney to DeSantis, but the approved 2020 development plan of Disney will now move forward. Which I suspect is what Disney wanted to ensure. Disney invested many millions in that plan, and were in no way about to watch DeSantis fuck it up.

From what I understand, there are continuing negotiations going on, no???

🤔

From what I understand, there are continuing negotiations going on, no???

🤔
Yes, there is some negotiations, but the settlement article I read stated a couple items agreed upon. One was the removal of two RCDB members, and that the original plan from 2020 was to be approved and implemented.

I really don't know what they are negotiating, but I suspect it's about all the shit the board was saying it was going to do. IE building a prison on the land, yada yada yada. When it's done I'm pretty sure things will be back to Disney driving the bus. DeSantis gets to look tough, and the name and people on the board change.

Yes, there is some negotiations, but the settlement article I read stated a couple items agreed upon. One was the removal of two RCDB members, and that the original plan from 2020 was to be approved and implemented.

I really don't know what they are negotiating, but I suspect it's about all the shit the board was saying it was going to do. IE building a prison on the land, yada yada yada. When it's done I'm pretty sure things will be back to Disney driving the bus. DeSantis gets to look tough, and the name and people on the board change.

I guess what I’m suggesting, is that Disney is keeping that federal lawsuit card in their back pocket to ensure those continuing negotiations yield results to their liking.

👍

That federal lawsuit hanging over DeSantis' head already served as additional motivation for the state to reach a settlement with Disney, imho,

👍

I truly believe Disney is going to milk that threat of a federal lawsuit for all its worth.

👍

Yes. It’s a win-win. Disney has come to the realization that the Central Florida Tourism Oversight Board is here to stay and they need to focus on their more pressing challenges. The company continues to invest heavily in the state.

Yes. It’s a win-win. Disney has come to the realization that the Central Florida Tourism Oversight Board is here to stay and they need to focus on their more pressing challenges. The company continues to invest heavily in the state.
I never said it was win for either side. I said it was not a loss for either side. As to Disney's investments, so far the investments go, we will have to wait and see how much of the 2020 plan Disney decides to implement, CFTOB is now no longer irrelevant. Hell the chair and district administrator (both DeSantis appointees) had to resign, that is not a sign the Governor walked away a winner....

Turley points out that Disney isn’t the only loser. The media missed the mark as well.

“The problem is that Disney was never winning, but viewers were not told that. The company was gushing money while losing in court. In the end, the Florida’s Parental Rights in Education Act continued to garner overwhelming support in the state. DeSantis wrestled control away from Disney’s handpicked board and now Disney has dropped its challenge after suffering a series of losses in court.”

https://jonathanturley.org/2024/04/...gainst-florida-collapses-as-the-media-shrugs/

Turley points out that Disney isn’t the only loser. The media missed the mark as well.

“The problem is that Disney was never winning, but viewers were not told that. The company was gushing money while losing in court. In the end, the Florida’s Parental Rights in Education Act continued to garner overwhelming support in the state. DeSantis wrestled control away from Disney’s handpicked board and now Disney has dropped its challenge after suffering a series of losses in court.”

https://jonathanturley.org/2024/04/...gainst-florida-collapses-as-the-media-shrugs/
Nice, an opinion piece, does he explain why the Chair and the Administrative Executive had to resign, and why Disney gets to pick their replacements?

Nice, an opinion piece, does he explain why the Chair and the Administrative Executive had to resign, and why Disney gets to pick their replacements?
No, Turley’s piece focuses on Disney’s folly and the media’s inability to see the writing on the wall. However, the Associated Press does mention the two departures and their replacements.

“In their place, DeSantis on Tuesday appointed Orlando businessman Craig Mateer to the board and board members on Wednesday approved former DeSantis advisor Stephanie Kopelousos to be the district’s new administrator.”
https://apnews.com/article/disney-florida-ron-desantis-settlement-91040178ad4708939e621dd57bc5e494

No, Turley’s piece focuses on Disney’s folly and the media’s inability to see the writing on the wall. However, the Associated Press does mention the two departures and their replacements.

“In their place, DeSantis on Tuesday appointed Orlando businessman Craig Mateer to the board and board members on Wednesday approved former DeSantis advisor Stephanie Kopelousos to be the district’s new administrator.”
https://apnews.com/article/disney-florida-ron-desantis-settlement-91040178ad4708939e621dd57bc5e494
DeSantis took a giant L on this one.
There’s a reason his POTUS run was very short.

No, Turley’s piece focuses on Disney’s folly and the media’s inability to see the writing on the wall.
I'm not sure what Disney's folly is? Speaking out against "don't say Gay"?
However, the Associated Press does mention the two departures and their replacements.

Yes the resignations, not departures, were part of the settlement. I may have misread this, but it wasmy understanding Disney gets to approve who DeSantis replaces them with. I could be wrong on the later, and would have to go back and try and find where I read that.

Back