Conversion therapy - UK

stickygirl

All the witches
The UK govt has finally started a consultation process to set out proposals for new laws to ban conversion therapy in England and Wales ( I'm still not sure why N.Ireland and Scotland do things differently but probably James 1 ). So a consultation to a proposal to a debate to a referral... yet the chancellor can cut taxes on short haul flights during the Cop26 conference with a tick of his pen.

So be warned it's a lengthy document but reading it, I can see why it does merit proper consideration rather than some well-meaning knee-jerk against cranks coercing teens into believing they're not gay or trans. If laws have the intention of targeting abusers, they should avoid including legitimate practitioners offering counselling. I don't understand why licensing isn't the obvious solution.... but then there's nothing to stop a licensed psychotherapist turning religious and going rogue.

I don't enjoy wading through the complexities of legal jargon, so I hope you appreciate my time! I'll report back when I reach the end. My expectation is that that, like the review of transgender rights, it'll be watered down by the Rees Mutton Mouths to be another waste of time and a backward slide on government commitments and promises... just like short haul flights :rolleyes:

Phew, well that was a long document. On the face of it, the areas set out for consideration and how the law could be changed to remove the problem of conversion therapy ( along with associated coercions ) looks good... but so did the two year review into trans rights that the govt subsequently ignored.

It'll work so long as no MP loses money or influence as a result and the catholics keep a get-out clause for religious freedom.

Nice idea, some good intentions... don't hold your breath. It's not like the Conservatives want us to join the 21st century just yet.

This is back in the news, unfortunately.

The EHRC has called for gender identity to be removed from the proposed ban on conversion therapy legislation to allow for further 'scrutiny'. At the same time they have requested the Scottish government delay its update to the Gender Recognition Act ( Scotland has its own legislative process ).

These delays are being pushed by a vocal minority seeking to stall the new law with the erroneous idea that sex based rights and trans rights are at odds with each other. At the moment the minority are winning and its frustrating the the Commission has not recognised the tactics for what they are.

Still rumbling along

In the UK news today
"The 19-page submission outlines substantial evidence that reveals the numerous ways the EHRC now finds itself falling short of international standards.

"The submission is prompted by the EHRC’s recent, and significant, change in stance on the issue of trans rights. Their recent statements on GRA reform in Scotland, and the conversion therapy ban in England and Wales, not only reverse their long-held positions, but are in stark contrast to international human rights standards. The EHRC’s stance seeks to strip trans people of legal protections, and pose a grave threat to the ability of trans people to participate in daily life with dignity and respect."

There's also a petition to drive this message of failings to a change

Baroness Falkner, the current chair of the EHRC and was appointed by Liz Truss (Con)
stated in interview that
1. 'White privilege' is a divisive and unhelpful term
2. She didn't know what transphobe meant

but she apparently does know what 'gender critical' means, so she's got me there.

Meanwhile in "her" commission
"Employees are quitting Britain’s equalities and human rights watchdog because they say it has become “transphobic” and “the enemy of human rights”, VICE World News has learned.

Some staff members have left the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) without having new jobs lined up, and morale among many employees still there is described as extremely poor. Some staff are considering strike action.
Staff described board members changing their work – making the documents “transphobic and seriously inaccurate”. When some employees complained, they were locked out of laptops and disciplinary action was taken against them.

One ex-employee said: “I was seeing our upcoming publications and guidance pushing for trans rights being changed – or completely scrapped and shelved permanently – meanwhile the Board was building links to anti-trans groups. It was awful.”

Some good news on this...
A petition was started to force the government to debate this issue in parliament - over 150,000 people signed and wrote to their MP. The question needs to be answered - why has the conservative government back-tracked on its commitment to ban all conversion therapy but omitting trans folk? The debate is tabled for June, but frankly who knows what will come of it?
We will not go quietly into the night...

Do not go quietly. Scream and fight and shout. The current bunch of liars , self serving mental pygmies 'will not do anything for those they think are the other. Ie not rich white "straight" males

Like drowning people clutching at anything to save themselves, the Conservatives continue to circle the plughole. Here's our latest prime idiot, Sunak, and his smart ass transphobic comments to his remaining conservative chums...

“Over the same period of time, you might have noticed Ed Davey has been very busy,” Sunak continues.
“Like me, you can probably see that he was trying to convince everybody that women clearly had penises.
You’ll all know that I’m a big fan of everybody studying maths to 18, but it turns out that we need to focus on biology.” ... laughter...

However this thread is about Conversion Therapy laws in the UK
It’s understood that the bill contains a loophole for “consenting adults”, despite experts and advocates warning the government that such a loophole could render the legislation useless.

ITV News reported on Wednesday (21 June 2023) that the bill was sent to Sunak earlier this week, and that it will cover conversion therapy which attempts to change both a person’s sexuality and gender identity.

However, those who conduct conversion practices on adults deemed to have “consented” would not be prosecuted under the ban.

Conversion therapy survivor and activist Jayne Ozanne, a former advisor to the government, said: “Allowing people to consent to these abusive practices renders a bill all but meaningless.

“It shows government has prioritised listening to perpetrators over survivors and has ignored advice of international human rights lawyers.”

Back