Approached about writing your characters?

I've gotten a couple requests along these lines from people over the years regarding my Duchess of Lust stories. People had some pretty wild ideas for what should have happened with the main character (to include basically becoming a rape victim), but I always said no.

Reminds me of this Seanan McGuire story about a reader wanting to know "when" (not "if") she was going to write a rape scene for some of her series' heroines :-/

As loath as I am to kick this particular hornet's next, I'm left wondering something. Based on the frequency with which we see the "abandoned stories" questions brought up here, how many of you, especially the Lit veterans, have actually been approached by someone who wants to continue your character's adventures in their stories?
This is the other way round, me borrowing three of @Djmac1031 ’s characters. He’ll be borrowing some of mine in the near future.

The Undoing Of Emma

Emily

I have been approached, and each time I've said yes. It leads to interesting crossovers, a metacanon, and maybe one too many Lilys.

But really, my attitude is this: if I've gone to the far end of a fart building out every detail of a world, then isn't it a waste to finish the story, shut it up in its little box and say that no-one can touch? If you want to come along and lean on the backstory as a springboard to creating something new, then attribute it, link the original for context, and then have at it.

Back