Any Polish people want to review a short snippet of dialogue?

joy_of_cooking

Literotica Guru
"I can't take this," I said. "How much did this cost?"

"I don't know." She turned to Wladek. "Do you?"

He shrugged. "This fancy stuff? I have no idea. Half million zlotych? Don't worry about it, kid. Baker owed boss favors."

I choked. "Half a million dollars?"

"Half million zlotych. Just guess."

"The fuck is a zlotych?" I demanded, hearing the shrill edge of hysteria in my voice.

Wladek spared me a sharp look. "Zero zlotych, one zloty, two zlote. Polish currency, hamburger boy."

My eyes bugged out as the implications sank in. "You brought these from Poland?" I whispered.

Two questions:

1. Would 500k be zlotych? I know in English we mostly don't bother, but I figure if Wladek would get it right.

2. Does it make sense for him to call the narrator "hamburger boy"? I want Wladek to be a little irritated at this clueless American, and apparently Polish people call Americans hamburgers. The narrator is also Mexican, if that suggests any other dismissive epithets.

Oh, I guess a third question:

This is late 70s, early 80s, before the zloty got redenominated. Is 500k a plausible price for a dozen gorgeously decorated little mazurek cakes? (Does it even make sense to have gangsters buying fancy cakes in Poland at that point?)

This is late 70s, early 80s, before the zloty got redenominated. Is 500k a plausible price for a dozen gorgeously decorated little mazurek cakes? (Does it even make sense to have gangsters buying fancy cakes in Poland at that point?)
It's good that you're trying to get this right, as the vast numbers of Polish readers who remember the early 80s would ridicule you mercilessly for any lapse of verisimilitude. :LOL:
Wish I could help, but I mostly emit sarcasm, puns, and gifs. My normal approach is useless here.

Are they left handed gangsters? Freckled? Gluten intolerant? C'mon gimme something to work with.

Back