Before the Fallen Empire (closed for summergal21)

TheAntiRebel

is still a threat
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Posts
2,163
The Roman Empire has been at a constant state of war for many years. The Emperor was losing political power. One night, two foreigners manage to sneak past his guards and assassinate him. Rome is thrown into chaos as various political and military factions attempt to seize power. One man, General Marcus Tiberius, the youngest general in the history of the Empire, has his men 'capture' the Imperial Palace for the safety of the Imperial Family, and declares martial law on Rome, bringing the fighting to a standstill.

General Marcus Tiberius
Age 32
6'1", 185 pounds, Brown Hair, Brown Eyes, Muscular Build

It had been three says since the Emperor was assassinated, and for Marcus, they had turned out to be three very action filled days. About 12 hours into the first day, various small-time Senators and Generals realized that there was a power gap and it was theirs to take. Fighting had broken out across Rome, the greatest city in the known world. The Roman Forum, the seat of the Senate, had turned into a bloodbath as petty factions attempted to declare themselves the new rulers of Rome.

Marcus, and Legion XVI, the men under his command, had seized control of the Forum and declared martial law on Rome. His soldiers marched on the street and, through persistence, managed to subdue to the fighting for the time being. Bringing a ceasefire to the chaos had distracted Marcus from his real goal, which lay in the Imperial Palace.

Wearing his polished, gold-plated armor and a red cape, Marcus rode his white stallion to the Imperial Palace, where the front gates were surrounded by his men. They saluted him and opened the gates for him, and he rode up to the front doors of the massive palace where the late Emperor had called home.

The general had been escorted by two guards, plus Martin, a short boy of 17 that was a distant cousin of his. Martin had no mind for politics or war, but his mother's sister had dreamt that the boy would rise to greatness from a minor family of wealth like he had, so Martin served as his aide. As Marcus climbed off his horse, Martin approached, carrying two items, and handed them to the general. One was a paper scroll, and the other was a small bottle.

"Thank you, Martin. That will be all," Marcus told his aide.

"Yes, General," the boy said, before nodding.

"I am going to meet with the Emperor's daughter. Don't bother me unless it's that messenger from Legate Vitallion."

"Yes, General," the aide repeated himself.

With his two gifts under his shoulder, Marcus entered the Imperial Palace and headed up the stairs to the bedroom of the late Emperor's eldest unwed daughter. His longsword, hanging in its sheath, clanged against his gold plated armor as he climbed the marble steps. He arrived at her bed chamber and knocked on the doorway.

He almost blushed at her beauty. She was slender and athletic, the body of a goddess.

He dropped to one knee. "My lady, my apologies about the death of the Caesar, your father," he said before standing. He held the scroll and the bottle out to her. "Some small gifts for you. Some Greek poetry, by their scholar Homer. And some Chinese bath soaps, in the bottle. It cost a small fortune to import them from such a far away land."
 
Aquilina The Daughter of Emperor Caesar
Age 19
5'6", light brown hair borders the line of dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, slender, athletic figure

Aquilina stood in front of the man she saw as responsible to her father's death. Although she didn't see her father as the noble, law-abiding man who he painted himself to be, she still loved him and knew that he loved his family dearly. Wearing a simple purple colored tunic which her mother earlier protested as it loudly represented her family's stature in society she studied General Marcus with her tear stained eyes. Her wrists were decorated with gold bracelets and large pearls hung on her ears. Her hair in a braid as she was unable to take the time nor the care of her long hair.

Her eyes quickly glanced at the gifts the man had brought her, although she was thankful and intrigued by them she had no desire to receive the gifts. She refused to stare at him any longer and moved her head to the side, only allowing him to study her tear stained cheeks, painted red with the help of one of her servants tasked to prepare her meeting with the man who was now to become the ruler of their country and which everyone assumed her future husband.

The gifts still being held in General Marcus' hand and with the lack of any movement from Aquilina to receive them, one of her servants quickly accepts them by first bowing to you and keeping their head low to the floor. They take the gifts and quickly leave the couple's side.

"Thank you." Aquilina quickly mumbles with her red stained lips, knowing that the last thing she needed to do was to anger General Marcus but she was unable to ignore her hatred towards him.
 
Last edited:
Marcus frowned when he saw her face and reaction. She had been crying, and the compassionate part of his heart felt something tugging on it. He considered himself the ultimate patriot to the Roman Empire, going as far to kill the Caesar, the Emperor to prevent the Empire from continuing on its self-destructive course. But, he hadn't considered the effect it would have on his family, including his plans to wed Aqualina. He could prevent civil war by marrying her, combing his military allies with those in the Senate still loyal to the Caesar’s bloodline would create a rock solid establishment for him to be the new Emperor.

He took a step closer towards her so that just a foot stood between. “I know there rumors that my allies and I were behind the death of your father,” he said softly. His whole plan, and perhaps 60 years of civil war rested on what he said to her in the next five minutes. “If I tell you the truth, will you forgive me?”
 
Aqualina wanted to take a step back when Marcus decreased the step between them. Her left heel had gone up, ready for her to again open the space between them. But her body froze when his lips moved and the way he spoke softly directly to her.

She had gotten used to the harsh and violent words of the soldiers that had occupied and guarded her and her family. It was the first time in what seemed like years a man had spoken to Aqualina with a sweet and delicate voice with no frustration, no irritation, no malice.

She repeated the words he had said to her in her mind,

“I know there rumors that my allies and I were behind the death of your father,”


“If I tell you the truth, will you forgive me?”


The servant that had taken the gifts from Marcus's hand was only several feet away, pretending to be occupied by cleaning what was Aqualina's vanity area. Her eye was on another servant, a male servant who was busy taking down any insignia from Aqualina's family, trying to see if he would attack General Marcus in the case of any violence towards Aqualina.

Aqualina turned her face back to Marcus and looked up into his eyes with her red tear drained eyes.

"Why do you want my forgiveness?" She asked, her aristocratic accent quickly falling from her lips. It made no sense to him that a man, who she believed a ruthless killer, would desire the forgiveness of a woman he only intended to have as a plaything.
 
Marcus looked intently in her eyes. “I’ll be direct, with you, my lady. I will be the next Emperor of Rome. Probably one of many. Through my men and my alliances with other generals, I have the allegence of most of the military. The Senate remains fractured. A large number of Senators are loyal to the Caesar bloodline. Without a strong Senate and military in unison, the various distance provinces and their governors will attempt to break away from the Empire or declare themselves heirs to the Empire your family has built. We’ll probably have five men claiming to be Emperor with in a month, and outright civil war.”

He took her hand in his gently. Her hand felt so soft and smooth under his coarse, calloused big hands. “If you marry me, and I declare myself Emperor, we will unite most of the Roman Legion and your father’s supporters in the Senate. It will be enough to discourage most of the rabble rousers and the ones that don’t will be quickly dealt with.”

He took a step towards her, his gold-plated armored chest almost touching her body. He could felt his heart practically beating out of the armor plate. She was young, beautiful and fit, yes, but there was something savy and intelligent in her eyes. She wasn’t a wallflower, a simple trophy wife to be married off to a Senator or banker. He leaned in and whispered into her ear. “This union will save lives, Aqualina. I don’t want a whore. I want a partner and an Emperor’s wife.”
 
Aquilina felt queasy as Marcus kept on talking, she wasn't sure if it was due to his assertion that he would be then next Emperor of Rome, or if it was his marriage proposal or if it was the lack of nourishment she had taken since her father's death.

General Marcus' words made sense and she knew they were true. He was well liked by the people of Rome, not just by the soldiers but also by the commoners as well. The Senators weren't all in love with her father, but many were still loyal and talks about coup of the military faction was not unheard of around the palace.

She wanted to feel repulse when he took her hand, but instead she was comforted by it and as he kept on moving closer all she wanted to do was feel his warmth against her exhausted body.

I don’t want a whore. I want a partner and an Emperor’s wife

His words echoed through her head and it was the last thing she heard when all she saw was black, her head spinning from nausea, her body quickly losing all strength as she collapsed in the arms of the man that she still wasn't sure if he was a foe or friend.
 
Last edited:
The General was shocked when Aqualina seemed to collapse into his arms. He quickly grabbed her, and his first thoughts were pure terror. He assumed she had died, poisoned by one of his political rivals. Those powerful enough to know that he was planning on marrying her would assume she had refused and he had killed her. The rest would be shocked that he would allow something to happen to the Imperial Family while he had his men “protecting” them. Either way, it would end his plans and credibility.

He leaned in and held an ear to her chest, she was softly breathing, and he was infinitely relieved. He looked up, and her servants seemed partly shocked. Some of the men (probably still sworn to protect the Caesar’s family to the death) looked ready to fight. She and him had been standing so close, and it wasn’t like stabbing by small knifes were uncommon in the Roman Empire.

“She fainted! When is the last time she ate something?” The general barked out. He got a few answers from the female servants. It had apparently been a while. “Bring a jug of water and some broth from the kitchens,” he commanded, and some of the servants shuffled out of the room.

He hoisted her limp body into her arms and carried her to her lavish bed and set her down carefully. He ordered a stool be brought to him and sat, watching her carefully and also watching out the window at Rome. Stories of the beauty of the Caesar’s daughter were legendary, but Marcus had never really believed them. Since he was a boy, he had heard about 50 women that were supposedly the most beautiful in the world, but this time, he thought, he had really found her. He thought about telling her these things as the food and drink he ordered for her arrived. He sat by her side for a few hours, but she continued to rest.

Marcus was interrupted by a knocking on the doorframe. It was Martin. “General!” he said in attention..

“Word from Legate Vitallion, sir. He says men loyal to Senator Fenix have broken martial law and are heading to the Garment District, burning everything down on their way.”

Marcus clenched his fist. His family were wealthy fabric merchants. Fenix was sending a not-so-subtle message.

“Damn him! He intends to burn down our family’s warehouse,” Marcus said scowling to his cousin as he stood up. “Send 300 spearmen from the border to the Garment District. Give the attackers one chance to surrender before they start getting spears through chests. And tell Legate Vitallion I’ll be there to lead the charge personally.”

“Yes, General!” Martin said before running out.

“You, when she wakes up, make sure she eats something and drinks water,” Marcus said to a servant on the way out, who nodded in acknowledgement.
 
Last edited:
"It is your job, your duty to your country to keep an eye on that girl!"

A loud, painful distinctive sound of a hand slapping across the soft skin of a human's cheek echoed in bedroom of Aquilina.

Aquilina knew that shrieking voice was her mother's as she shifted in her warm, comfortable bed wanting to wake up from her bed-ridden state as she felt responsible for the violence her mother just enacted on her servant. But the last thing Aquilina wanted to hear was her mother's voice shrieking at her.

Ever since the downfall of her father's Empire, Aquilina's mother kept herself in her bedroom complaining of a throbbing head and an unwell stomach. Many believed the death of the Emperor would bring about her death but it seemed as though the Empress was nowhere near her deathbed.

"She is the key, she is the only one that can save this family. She's not suited for it, but from what I've heard that bastard Marcus desires to have my Aquilina's hand in marriage. If she's seen as unfit then we will all have to slit our throats." The Empress continued to speak in a shrilling voice.

The servant kept her head down knowing that arguing with the Empress and informing her that it was her daughter's wishes not to eat despite the servant begging for her to take proper care of her body would only result in the prompt release of the servant and possibly death.

Aquilina kept her eyes closed, drifting back to a place where her worries her mother's shrieking voice couldn't reach her. The next time Aquilina became conscious was with the whispers she heard from her servants.

"So, is it true that General Marcus asked for her hand in marriage?" A servant from the kitchen asked Aquilina's main attendant.

"Yes, yes it is…I know I shouldn't say this but…" The girl, with a handprint from the Empress on her cheek nodded her head.

"He might have toppled the Emperor but he is…" Another maid from Aquilina's bedchamber whispered quietly.

"Please don't say that…if the Empress heard us." Aquilina's main attendant quickly replied.

"I was just going to say that he's handsome, he's tall, he's muscular and…his brown eyes are full of love for her…" The second maid from Aquilina's quarter said with a jealous smile.

"The way he held Aquilina with his strong hands and those muscles on his arms…" Aquilina's main servant said, wondering what it felt like to be held by General Marcus.

"I think she did it on purpose." The servant from the kitchen said annoyed as she knew that food was being sent to Aquilina.

"No, it wasn't. She hadn't properly ate nor drank in days nor has she slept…" Aquilina's main attendant said forcefully.

"Do you think she'll marry him, I mean if she doesn't we'll all be forced to…" The servant from the kitchen quickly stammered, not wanting to anger anyone.

"I think she will, I mean she cares about her family…" The second maid from Aquilina's bedchamber spoke.

"But I've heard she's rejected a handful of marriage proposals already and not just from any men but from foreign princes too." The kitchen servant said worriedly.

The three servants glanced at Aquilina who had her eyes closed, but when Aquilina heard the whispers stop she gently stretched her legs from under the covers. Anyone else would have ignored such a slight movement, but not Porcia, Aquilina's main servant.

"Aquilina." Porcia said as she swiftly went to the side of her master's bed.

Aquilina opened her eyes, almost tearful as she remembered her mother's action earlier to the poor servant girl.

"Are you alright? I'm so sorry, I should have…" Porcia quickly replied, applying a damp cloth soaked in peppermint water to Aquilina's brows and temple.

The peppermint soothed and tingled the tired skin of Aquilina and a faint smile appeared on her face.

"I'm fine, it was my fault..you told me too…" Aquilina said as Porcia quickly place a cup of water to her dry lips.

Aquilina wanted to reject the cup of water but she wetted her lips with it.

"I'll have some broth…" Porcia started to say as the kitchen servant departed the room knowing what Porcia would request.

Aquilina sighed, she had no stomach for water or broth but as her mother said as of now she was the key in keeping her family's safety.

Aquilina scanned her room, looking to see if anyone had told General Marcus that was okay as Aquilina assumed he would have been wanted to be informed about her condition.

"He's gone…" Porcia quickly told her master, seeing with her eyes that she was looking for someone.

A relieved smile appeared from Aquilina's lips, hoping that he was gone for good, but that smile quickly turned back to unemotional lips when Porcia finished her sentence.
"Something was going on in the Garment District…something about his family and…" Porcia said trying to recall General Marcus' words.

His family…Porcia closed her eyes again as she pictured General Marcus' family.

She had no true desire to marry General Marcus. To her she was just another general, a power hungry soldier who despised the royal family as they were "too rich for their own good." She wanted to reject his marriage proposal, she wished she could leave the palace and live a quiet life up in the country side away from all the responsibilities that came being the Emperor's daughter.

By the time the kitchen servant arrived back with the heated broth, Porcia was dreaming of a quiet life, away form the palace, away from the city, away from her mother's shrieking voice and away from General Marcus.
 
Last edited:
((OOC: Sorry for the mega post. I got carried away again. :eek: ))

The fighting in the Garment District had been fierce, worse than Marcus had expected. His political rival, Senator Fenix, had sent more men than expected. The battle was short, and violent. Marcus had lost 75 of his 300 spearmen, but almost all of Fenix’ 200 men had been maimed or killed. Marcus wiped the dirt and blood from his brow. His golden armor was scuffed from sword and spear, and covered in dried dirt and blood. His hair was damp and amess and his whole body was soaked in sweat. Most Generals in the Roman Legion rarely fought with their men. But Fenix had sent a message by going after the Tiberius family goods warehouse and Marcus sent a message by personally slaying seven of his men.

Legate Anthony Vitallion was nearly twice Marcus’ age, but he was his most trusted commander, and had served with Marcus almost for the entirety of his military service. The older man had attached his fate to the younger, rising star and the two had become close friends. Vitallion was a mentor and advisor to the General. He ran up next to the General from behind as he headed back to his horse.

“General,” Anthony said. “We control the Garment District once again, but I fear Fenix will only start more fights. He doesn’t respect your authority, nor your martial law.”

“He will, soon enough.” Marcus said in a grim tone.

“How is your plan coming, General? Senator Crassus is Fenix’ biggest ally. And Crassus was The Caesar’s best friend. If you wed the girl and Crassus withdrew his support-…”

“I know, Anthony,” Marcus replied curtly. “We would quickly silence all of our opponents with this marriage. The girl is upset about the death of the Emperor. We did kill her father after all. She’s very intelligent, too.” Marcus explained as they reached his horse. He stopped and held on to the reigns as he kept talking to his friend.

“Part of me expected a simply girl who would be grateful to get attention from a powerful man. But, she’s no whore that craves to lie in an Emperor’s bed. She’s more intelligent than that. I fear she may already hate me already.” And with good reason, Marcus thought to himself.

“If I may say, General. You wouldn’t be the first Emperor to spread a woman’s legs by force if you chose not to give her an option in the matter.”

Marcus scowled at his friend. “I put this plan in motion because I thought I’d do a better job at serving Rome than the old Emperor. I will not start my reign by forcing a woman – a girl, practically - to marry me against her will and then pump a baby into her by force.” He climbed up onto his horse with an angry flair.

Vitallion smiled at his old friend. He was too honorable to be a politician. Even when they ransacked the Greek isles together, and the Greek girls would get themselves wet and throw themselves at them thinking about spending a night with a young handsome Roman military commander, Marcus would turn themselves away. He always wanted the ones that played hard-to-get.

“Then, I wish you luck in your hunt, my General.” Vitallion said with a smirk.

“I’ll be back at the Imperial Palace, trying to court the girl and get her to accept my plan. If not for me…” he trailed off and sounded hurt for a moment. He was already infatuated with Aqualina, and even for a General-becoming-Emperor, rejection hurt. “… then for the betterment of all the Empire.”

The horse started trotting off. Anthony yelled after Marcus, “I’ll keep you up to date on the Tuscany situation.”

Marcus sighed and raised a hand as he headed off. According to their spies, the provincial governor of Tuscany was raising his legions, probably preparing to either declare himself Emperor and march on Rome, or break away from the Empire and form his own Republic. Either way, it wasn’t good for Marcus. To make matters worse, the governor of Tuscany had no relations or loyalties to the Emperor and Marcus didn’t know if wedding Aqualina would dissipate his treason.

Marcus arrived at the Imperial Palace and was once again greeted by his soldiers. As he headed up the stairs to Aqualina’s bedroom, he passed the Empress, the late wife of the Emperor. He bowed his head, “Good evening, my Empress.”

((OOC: Regardless of her reply, he keeps going.))

Marcus headed up to Aqualina’s door and knocked softly on the door frame and saw her awake and moving. “Good evening, my love. I’m glad to see you awake and somewhat recovered from your condition. You are more beautiful now that color has returned to your cheeks,” he gestured towards his dirty, scuffed armor. “I apologize for my appearance, we had some troublemakers that needed dealing with. I am not dressed for meeting with a stunning woman like you.”

He took another step towards her. “I wanted to be here when you woke. I thought we should talk more about current affairs and my proposal.”
 
The candles in Aquilina's room flickered as Marcus entered the room. The scent of rose wafted in the air, attempting to drown out the smell of sweat, blood and dirt Marcus brought in, but they failed.

Aquilina instinctively placed the wet towel soaked in peppermint water which rested on her forehead quickly to her nose, trying to not revolt too much from Marcus's stench.

The swelling of her eyes from her drained tear ducts had subsided and her brown eyes, open wide studied Marcus as he stood in front of her.

He was a handsome man, broad muscular shoulders, a chest she just wanted to lay her head on, legs where each were about the size of her waist, warm brown eyes that soothed her pain. Dressed in his uniform and armor, he looked loyal and even noble, if he had come to her palace under any other circumstance, she would have be keen to entertain him.

She had her back against her headboard, the scroll of poetry he had brought for her sitting next to her on her bed. She was embarrassed with her ungrateful attitude and was pleasantly surprised with the contents of his gifts.

She was used to the jewelry men would send her in hopes to please the Emperor's daughter and foolishly hope for her hand in marriage. She was never ungrateful for the luxurious gifts hopeful suitors brought her but they were all just pretty objects, nothing that actually stimulated her mind or her heart.

Marcus's gift was the first time a man had brought her something other than shiny objects. She thought the lack of gold as a gift from Marcus was because he lacked a noble tittle but after being in his presence she realized it was because he was a thoughtful man, a man who saw her more than just "the Emperor's daughter."

She stared in his eyes, the wet towel still against her nose as she continued to block out his odor, "I understand your desire to speak with me about the current affairs and the proposal…" Aquilina breathed heavily, attempting to change the subject as she was not yet ready to properly accept his proposal.

She knew she had no choice for this marriage proposal, she had to take it. In the past she had the luxury of rejecting marriage proposals as she was her father's favorite.

Despite her distaste in how he ran the country and his philandering ways, she earned his respect by being studious and taking interest in things other than beauty care. It was her father that taught her how to properly ride a horse, to shoot an arrow, to hold a sword. Of course all these skills he hadn't used in close to a decade near his death, but skills nevertheless his daughter mastered in.

Her mother was furious each time Aquilina rejected a marriage proposal. The Empress feared that Aquilina would never marry and the daughter, many regarded as the most beautiful woman in the Empire would lose out on her prime marriage years and end up unable to marry when she finally agreed to a proposal.

"But…" Aquilina started to say as she glanced at the blood stains on Marcus' armor. "I'm sure you haven't ate and…" She said as she studied the dirt he had tract in her meticulously kept room. The peppermint soaked towel starting to lose its soothing scent, "If I may, I urge you to bathe. You can use the…"

Aquilina bit the inside of her cheeks, trying to hide from the rest of the world her inability to be decisive.

"You can use…" She wished to say the servants' bath area but she knew that would be rude. She had no desire to offer hers and her mother's was not even a possibility. She knew that her father's would be the only one that would suit him, not just his size but also his desire.

"Use my father's…the Emperor's." Aquilina said finishing her sentence.

To this Porcia who had kept her eye on the two and was at the moment sweeping the dirt Marcus had tracked in looked wide eyed at Aqualina.

Aquilina nodded her head, "Porcia, go get one of the chambermaids to get my father's bath ready for General Marcus and to make sure dinner would be ready for him after his bath."

Porcia was surprised at Aquilina's request, the last time she had seen him she refused to look into his eyes anymore than several seconds.

But now she was offering him her father's bath and worried about his appetite, she sensed something had changed in Aquilina's heart. Porcia nodded her head and left Aquilina's chambers to get ready for her master's requests.
 
Last edited:
Marcus was embarrassed when she asked him to bathe. It was rather uncouth, and perhaps he was putting the cart before the horse. Maybe his own bullheaded courtship, not the fact that he had her father killed, would set her off marriage forever. “I apologize, Lady Aqualina. You know us men barely worry about such things. I am a soldier at heart, you know,” he said, bowing softly.

He felt like something punched him in the chest when she suggested he use the Emperor’s bath chambers. He had sort of indirectly assumed that when he became Emperor, he would live here, but had never imagined himself bathing or sleeping the same place every Emperor since the beginning of the Empire had.

“I…” he stuttered for words to say. “The Emperor’s bath will be fine, thank you, my lady.” He again, offered a slight bow before turning and leaving. A servant showed him to the Emperor’s bathroom, which meant passing through the bedroom. As a General, Marcus made a better living than most Romans, and kept a small estate in the city, but he marveled at the expansive bedroom, lined with marble where the Emperor had slept. The large, luscious bed looked like it could sleep six, and Marcus’ mind wondered to three nights ago, when the foreign slaves, disguised like Dicans, snuck in here, sneaking past the Imperial Guard with his help, and plunged a knife into Aqualina’s father’s chest. He immediately regretted thinking about it.

Once inside the bath chamber, he saw two female servants pouring jugs of hot water into a marble bath. It was rather big, and could easily fit two or three people itself. As they finished pouring the water in, he sat down on a small stool near the bath and took off his boots. “That’s enough, ladies, thank you,” he said, dismissing the servants. Once they were out of the room, he drew his broadsword from its sheath and put it on the ground next to his boots, before unbuckling his golden breastplate and setting it on the ground. After that, he stripped off the red tunic he worn under his armor, leaving him in his loin cloth, which he took off as well. Slowly, he submerged his naked body into the warm bath water and let out a long sigh.

With all that had happened, it had been days since he had time to bathe. He took a small wash cloth left folded near the bath and started rubbing his skin down gently, including a large scar on his chest (left over from the second campaign of Greece). After rubbing himself down, he slowly submerged himself under the water, another benefit of the large sub, and held himself under the water for one or two minutes. Since he was a boy, it was a game he played with himself to see how long he could stay under the water, whether it was the bath or the river. Finally, when he couldn't take it anymore, he came up for air, and with both hands, brushed his brown hair back on his head and leaned against the marble wall of the tub.
 
With Marcus's exit from her room, Aquilina breathed a sigh of relief. She was able to push back her inevitable acceptance to Marcus's proposal. She quickly took away the now warm towel soaked in peppermint water away from her nostrils and grabbed the glass bottle of rosewater sitting on her night stand.

She carefully applied the rosewater on her nose and just right above her lips. The sweet floral scent of roses eased Aquilina's anxieties. Gold bracelets decorated with colorful jewels stacked on her right wrist made a slight jingle as she quickly reached for the poetry that she was in the middle of reading prior to Marcus' return.

Her left middle finger was decorated with a large ruby ring gifted from her father. The ruby glittered in the candlelight as Aquilina smiled, remembering her father's gift when she turned 18. He joked that since she had not yet been given an engagement ring and subsequently a wedding ring, it was his duty to keep his daughter safe and happy.

"What on earth were you thinking when you had that vile man showed to the baths your father used…you do know that every single Roman Empire before your father bathed there as well?! And you let the vile, evil man who has come to claim your father's throne use it?!" The shrilling voice of the Empress was heard as quickly as the doors opened for Aquilina's mother.

Aquilina's eyes grew large as her moment of solitude was interrupted by her angry mother.

"I was…" Aquilina quickly muttered, her hand laying flat on the open scrolls.

"How foolish can you be? He hasn't even yet declared to the Senate that you two are marrying and you allow him to bathe in your father's bath? He lacks a title, he has no family in the Senate or any other nobility, he is a nothing and you…"

The Empress screamed as she is now on the side of Aquilina's bed, their eyes staring at each other, Aquilina begging for forgiveness while the Empress' filled with rage and anger.

The Empress then took her right hand and slapped Aquilina's left cheek forcefully, ensuring that Aquilina's left cheek would be left with not only a red mark from her mother's hand but also from all the rings decorated on her hand.

Tears formed in Aquilina's eyes from the unexpected pain but she refrained from allowing them to drop, even though they filled her eyes as she refused to look weak in front of her mother.

"You have no choice now but to marry that bastard. You know he has your father's blood all over his hands. He's the one man, the one man I wish to the gods you wouldn't have to marry." The Empress said in a whisper, "Why didn't you agree to the proposal from the governor in Tuscany? Hmmm? If you did then your father would still be alive and we wouldn't have some dirty solider bathing in the tub reserved for just the Emperor."

The Empress was livid as she kept on speaking, her mind was on her former husband's almost daily entertainment of several women at a time in the bath she once used to share with her said husband. Her anger wasn't at Aquilina nor on Marcus, but on her deceased husband, the Emperor and his death but she could only direct at Aquilina.

The tears Aquilina had attempted stop heavily fell from her cheeks. "I'm sorry, I just thought…he had just gotten back from battle and he said he wanted to talk, but I…" Aquilina replied, trying to keep her composure and refrain from sobbing in tears.

"He only wants to hear a yes for his marriage proposal, you're lucky that man hasn't yet forced himself onto you." The Empress said trying to calm herself down as she knew her anger was misdirected and she needed Aquilina to agreeably accept General Marcus proposal.

The Empress huffed as she breathed heavily, "Go keep him company in his bath, I was hoping he would take comfort in the servants but he requested to be alone. But I'm sure he wouldnt mind you there…" The Empress had an inkling that despite the gruesome death of her husband and the outlandish actions from Marcus, he had a soft spot for Aquilina and she planned on using that as a way to secure her longevity.

Aquilina's eyes grew large in dismay, but she didn't actively protest her mother's orders. She knew she wouldn't have to listen to her mother's shrilling voice nor her condescending words if she was in the company of General Marcus.

Despite the Empress' harsh words toward General Marcus she was well aware that General Marcus was going to be the next Emperor and Aquilina the next Empress. The only thing the Empress was worried about was Aquilina's willingness to become Empress.

Aquilina would agree to become Empress out of duty, but if she felt reluctance, too cornered and did it solely out of duty to her country, Aquilina wouldn't be able to keep her position as Empress.

To ensure a united empire as well as the continuous luxurious living arrangements of everyone in her family, Aquilina's mother needed to have Marcus fall in love with Aquilina and for this to happen Aquilina needed to have some genuine interest in him.

Porcia had heard the Empress' words and had made her way towards Aquilina's bed. Porcia extended her hand, allowing the long legged Aquilina to leave her bed. The Empress quickly grabbed the ribbon that was keeping her daughter's hair in a braid and allowed her gently curled long dirty blonde hair to frame the face of Aquilina.

"Put some color on your face and smell nicely for him…and if he.." The Empress hesitated in finishing her sentence but she needed to say it, "if he tries to touch you, tries to force himself on you…allow him to, he is going to be next Emperor and you are going to be the next Empress…"

Aquilina wanted to refute her mother's words but she just accepted them as she knew that arguing with her mother would only end in Aquilina's cheeks to be raw tear stained cheeks.

Aquilina's mother left Aquilina's bedchamber and allowed Porcia along with another servant to beautify the naturally beautiful Aquilina. Porcia carefully outlined Aquilina's brown eyes with kohl while the second servant placed rose perfume along Porcia's neck and tidied her long hair that ended just right above her buttocks.

Aquilina longed for her palla to cover her head, especially as she was going to be in the bath alone with General Marcus. It was as if Porcia knew her master's thoughts and reached for the purple palla embroidered in gold silk. Aquilina nodded her head and with Porcia's assistance wrapped the palla around her body already covered in a stola and a tunic underneath. Aquilina took comfort in the soft cloth being wrapped around her and it at least allowed her head to be covered and an extra layer of cloth wrapped on the bottom part of her body.

"Would you like me to accompany you?" Porcia asked as the two walked toward the bath currently occupied by General Marcus.

Aquilina shook her head, "No, I'll be fine."

"I'll be right outside the door, if you need anything, please." Porcia quickly told Aquilina. Porcia feared for Aquilina's safety, she didnt think Marcus would violently force himself onto Aquilina but then he was a man, a very powerful man.

Aquilina nodded her head as two guards opened the door for Aquilina and allowed her entrance into the Emperor's bath chamber.

Aquilina kept her head down as she entered the room, "General Marcus…" Aquilina said making sure all she can see was the bathroom tiles.
 
Last edited:
((OOC: Assuming she comes somewhat near the bath to setup the you-know-what we talked about.))

Marcus stretched out in the bath and felt a proverbial weight on his shoulders. He expected to announce his wedding immediately after the death of the old Emperor became public knowledge. Tomorrow would mark the 4th night, and he was nowhere close to resolving the issue. Fenix was the most aggressive in trying to seize the city by force. He apparently assumed whoever held the Roman Senate and declared themselves Emperor was Emperor.

Other factions were in the Senate and military, but none had shown any initiative. Without leadership in Rome, the provincial governments were free to do whatever they wanted for the time being, including the fool governor in Tuscany who was organizing his legions for some kind of military action. And Aqualina had elder sisters, married off to powerful men around the globe. They had as much of a shaky claim to the Empire as he did.

His whole plan was disintegrating in front of him. He didn't crave the title of Empire for the power or title. He saw himself as a true Son of Rome and the highest patriot in the Empire. He killed the Emperor because he knew he could do better. But now, he started to doubt his plans. Marcus Tiberus had never been a religious man. Becoming a member of the Legion and moving up the various ranks had required various oaths to the Caesar and Jupiter and all the gods above, but he never really believed any of it. He had no idea what caused the tides, the moon or lighting, but he was pretty sure if there was a Parthenon of the Gods far above in the sky, they didn't care about the affairs of man. Still, Marcus felt things were slipping out of his control, so he quietly prayed in his mind.

Lord Jupiter, I have never asked for your help or guidance before, but I killed the old Emperor because I thought I could do a better job. Now, everything is falling apart, and I don't know if I can keep the Empire together. If you could just give me a sign that I was doing the right thing-....

"General Marcus…" he heard a soft voice behind him and practically jumped out of the bath.

"Ah, you startled me," Marcus said with an undeniable smirk. Maybe I should go to the temples more often. "It's always a pleasure to see you." He had hoped she came to join him in the bath, but way she stood and the way she had her palla wrapped, she didn't seem to come to be in the mood for lovemaking. Still, Marcus wasn't ashamed of his body, especially his manhood, so he felt no reason to try to cover himself in the warm, clear waters of the bath.

"I'm glad you came, my love. I know we have only met today, but I enjoy your company," he said. "I know you probably hate me, and you have a right to. But, I want to you know, whatever happens, whether you refuse or not, you and your family are safe. I have no intention of pinning you up on crucifixes outside the Palace."

He looked up at her, trying to make eye contact with her. "And, while I do need your hand for political reasons, I also have love for you. I have no cravings for other women other than you. You are the only woman I want from now until the end of time." He decided to repeat something he had thought earlier. "From when I was a boy, to joining the legion as a junior officer, to parties with generals and bankers, I've heard a hundred stories about the most beautiful woman in the world. Whether it be Helen of Troy or some mysterious Persian woman a trader encountered halfway across the world. But, I think for the first time, I've actually found her, and she's standing right in front of me."

And without further warning, he stood up out of the bath, letting the water drip off every inch of his body, and stepped towards her. He leaned into her, putting one of his big wet hands on her neck, holding her carefully, feeling her soft skin under his wet hands, and then leaned face in, pressing his lips gently against hers. He felt a thrill inside himself, touching her.

He let the kiss linger for a moment before gently pulling away from her. "I am smitten with you, Aqualina, and I want you to be my wife."
 
Aqualina's eyes grew large, her left hand quickly finding the dagger hidden under the several layers of fabrics she had on her body. Her left hand felt the coldness of the metal handle, she wanted to take it out as soon as he had felt his wet calloused hands on her covered neck as she had feared for her life.

Despite the fact that she knew he would never actually endanger her life as he desired to marry her, not kill her.

Her eyes stayed open for a second as she debated whether or not she should stab him, but rage was soon overrun by fear and she closed her eyes allowing whatever he would do, to happen.

She felt his lips touch her moist lips. It was the first time she felt the lips of another person embrace hers. She was unsure of what to do, she allowed her lips to slowly pucker, feeling his moist lips embrace hers strongly and passionately.

She wanted to turn her head away, she wanted to reject his embrace, she should have turned her head away but the hold he had on her neck was too strong.

And by the time his lips had left hers, her eyes were still closed, unsure of what was to come next. She feared that the worst was to come, that he was going to claim his control over her by forcing himself inside of her.

But when only silence filled the bath chamber and the smell sandalwood candles mixed with Aqualina's rose perfume calmed her nerves she opened her eyes and met General Marcus' warm chestnut brown eyes along with his naked body.

His chest was carefully constructed with his abdomen muscles carefully outlined, the full strength of his arm muscles visible, he had several scars littering his body along with a large one on his chest which intrigued Aqualina. But her eyes were most curious about the organ between his strong legs, something she made sure not to stare at.

Finding strength back in her throat, her hand still clutching onto the dagger she opened her lips still moist and tangled with his scent.

"You aren't the first man to flatter me with words of compliments, they are no use to me." Aqualina said flatly, allowing her posh accent to be mixed in her speech.

"I am well aware of my beauty." Aqualina added, hoping that her own assertion of her confidence will turn into strength as she spoke to Marcus.

"Also don't fool me or yourself by telling me that I will be the only woman you want to be with…you're going to the be the Emperor" Aqualina said in a monotone voice, "I'm sure you'll have a harem, just like the previous Emperor."

"I hate being lied to and I'm not naive enough to believe words from a man that killed my father." Aqualina added, for a girl who dreamed to be whisked off to the remote country side & dreamed of fairytales she was a cynic when it came to her relations with people.

"You only want me because you think thats the proper thing to do after your men murdered my father…which is fine." Aqualina added.

"So stop with the flowery words." She said keeping her gaze onto Marcus, her tone was harsh and she made sure her aristocratic accent flowed strongly with her words.

"Now, if you're going to keep on talking, I would appreciate it if you at least went back inside the tub." She raised her eyebrows, again making sure her eyes stayed on his and not feasting on his chiseled body.
 
Marcus was intrigued by her. He thought he felt something with her, yet she wouldn't let herself give in. She seemed dedicated to hating him. In some ways, they both were chiseled from the same stone. He was loyal to Rome above all, even its former Emperor. And she was loyal to her father, even (it seemed) above her future Emperor.

"Does my body make you uncomfortable, my lady?" he said in a low, guttural tone. He took another small step towards her, just inches stood between her and his naked wet body. He wanted baldy to wrap a strong arm around her, pull her to him and make their bodies touch, but he resisted the urge. She smelled so enchanting, part of him wanted to put his nose to her neck and kiss her again.

"I'm sorry, it's not very couth of me," the General said, finally breaking off and returning to the tub. As he climbed back into the tub, he lingered for a minute, wondering if her pride would let her get a glimpse of his chiseled back and backside. He sat back down in the tub and settled back into the warm water.

"I have no intention, or desire for a harem, my love. I'm a man of my word, any one will tell you that. And I'd rather have one woman a thousand times than a thousand women one time," he looked up into her eyes again, "and besides, how could I be unfaithful to a woman who smells so good?" he said.
 
When Marcus took another step toward Aqualina, prior to returning into the tub, she held her dagger again tightly and if he had made any more sudden movements toward her she was ready to use the dagger on him.

She had no intention of killing him, but she felt the need of asserting her strength as she felt as just a puppet being used by her family and soon by him. But the dagger would be unnecessary as he retreated back into the tub. Aqualina still kept her left hand on the dagger, but it wasn't because she thought she would need it, but more as an object that calmed her nerves.

He lingered a second longer than she expected which made her eyes curious to see his backside, but she refused to let her eyes feast on his manly body and kept her eyes on the door of the bath chamber. It wasn't until she heard the splash of the water as it touched Marcus' skin she turned back to face him, well not his face but at least the back of his head.

"My name is Aqualina, daughter of Emperor Caeasar, not love." Aqualina said correcting Marcus, her posh accent refuting the affectionate name he had given his future bride.

"I would actually prefer you to have a harem, I will only agree to conjugal visits that are necessary for the empire, nothing more." Aqualina stated matter of factly. She had no intention of being in love with the man in front of her and had no intention of enjoying any marital relations with him both in the bedroom and outside of the bedroom.

Although his promise, his declaration of not sleeping with any woman other than Aqualina made her smile, she knew better than to believe the words of a man as she had seen her mother as well as other noble women, including her sisters, disappointed with the false promises the men in their lives made.

"And as I said, stop flattering me with compliments. I have no intention of taking them to heart." Her voice cold and unwavering.
 
Marcus watched her and frowned. His actions had destroyed her soul, it seemed. She would never love him, he feared. For some reason, that scared him worse than losing control of the empire. He scratched his bare chest as he considered her words.

"So, conjugal visits? I assume that means you'll accept my proposal, then? You'll let me wed you?" he said in a dry tone. He should be happier, but he didn't feel like being happy if she was going to treat it like a political arrangement.

"If you'll be happier with out me, Aqualina, I could arrange for you and your family to be moved to the Imperial retreat in Sicily, under my protection of course. I'd rather fight ever last man in Rome alone than have peace and see your beautiful face unhappy," he said softly. "And I won't break your heart. I promise. I may have broken it once when I took your father's life, but I swear I won't break it again."
 
Aqualina's face lit up when Marcus mentioned her family's retreat in Siciliy. It wasn't the county side escape she dreamed of, but it would at least get her out of the palace and the city. Her cheeks flushed with excitement, her brown eyes wide with joy.

"You're telling me that you would allow my family and I to move to our home in Sicily and just let us live there?" But her joy was quickly gone as she furrowed her eyebrows.

"But how can I trust your protection?" Aqualina quickly asked, realizing that this out from marrying Marcus was full of holes.

"I mean, you're going to be here not with us…your men could turn on us, your men…they don't always have to follow your orders nor do they." Aqualina added.

"I mean if soldiers did as they were told all the time then we wouldn't have dead Emperors." Aqualina said with a defeated sigh.

If it was only her she had to worry about then this idea of living in the Imperial retreat in Sicily enticed her, but having to worry about her mother and her younger siblings she knew there was a greater risk of placing them in danger.

At least if they were kept in the palace, they would be near Marcus and she was sure that his men would obey the Emperor at all times if they were in the same building as him.

"If you really plan on becoming the Emperor, you shouldn't worry too much about my beautiful face being unhappy. Just your presence here in the first place makes me unhappy, so unless you can undo my father's death, you shall get used to it." She was bold with her words, a trait she knew she should keep in check as Marcus was in charge. If she upset him, with just one of his commands and her life would be gone.

She could simply smile and open her legs for him, that would make everyone's life easier. But if she was to open her legs for a man, it wouldn't be for a man that killed her father, it would be for a man she loved. And at this point she would rather die than open her legs for General Marcus. But her suicide would leave the rest of her family's life in danger and leave her Empire in dismay.

She carefully licked her lips, trying to find her words again and she tasted General Marcus' sweaty lips on hers. And surprisingly it wasn't as awful as she expected it to be.
 
"I mean if soldiers did as they were told all the time then we wouldn't have dead Emperors," she said, and for the first time, Marcus was annoyed with her and gave her a sideways snarl. Not that her comment was untrue, it just hit close to home.

When she was done speaking, Marcus turned to her again. With some disappointment and a little resentment, he said "Very well. We will have our political marriage and you can despise me for it, like half the wives in Rome feel about their husbands. Tomorrow, I will address the Senate at the Forum and announce my intention to marry you. I would appreciate it if you were there, looking-..." he almost gave her another compliments, but decided against it, "-presentable."

"Afterwards," he continued in a monotone voice, "I'll give you a week to plan a wedding ceremony somewhere her on the Palace grounds. All the Senators as well as top generals and businessmen and other nobles will be invited. At the feast, after the ceremony, I will declare my self Emperor. I hope that is an acceptable plan for you," he said. "And we can spend the rest of our lives in this palace, in separate bedrooms, miserable and alone. Craving the touch of another."

((OOC: Leaving room for her reply))

"Then, if that is all, I no longer need your attention for the moment," he said, looking away from her. "The bath waters grow cold and I plan on spending the nights until our marriage at my estate. I had hoped to... get to know you a little better, but since you despise me, I guess I'll have to spend time with you in my dreams," he said. He sensed she hated when he praised her or made his feelings for her known, but he wanted to remind her that he was infatuated with the her.
 
Aqualina bit her lip hard, to the point the raw taste of blood had started to tease her tongue. General Marcus' words were blunt and harsh and due to her continuous rejection of his kind words. She should have expected the change in Marcus's attitude with her cold and unwelcoming words but hearing them for a man she just shared her first kiss placed a hollow feeling in her stomach and it wasn't because she hadnt properly ate a meal in days.

She allowed his words to sink in her head.

We will have our political marriage and you can despise me for it.

And we can spend the rest of our lives in this palace, in separate bedrooms, miserable and alone.

In a way it was what she expected, the two would marry out of necessity of the empire. Although he said she would plan the wedding she knew that, that task would be handled by her mother. He would retreat to his own estate to the time being and they would live separately in the palace once they are officially married and he becomes emperor.

She had thought this was the most favorable plan for her as she despised the man she was to marry. But he hinted at his desire, more than once, to be more than just the man sitting next to her on the throne, he wanted to love her.

The pause in his speech alerted her it was her turn to speak. She carefully opened her lips, "If that is what you wish…" Her voice trailed as she knew that wasn't his original plan.

She then sighed and placed her eyes on the bath water as he continued talking. The water was murky from his unclean skin from being on the battlefield but it also had streaks of red blood that was of concern to her eyes. She had earlier assumed that the blood was from the casualties on the battlefield but her eyes told her the new streaks in the water was from the man in the bath.

Without paying any attention to his last words her eyes looked at him, for the first time in worry. Despite her cold words to him, the last thing she wanted was for him to be injured and unwell.

"You're bleeding." She stated bluntly. Before he could say anything, Aqualina opened the door, knowing that Porcia would be nearby. She quickly told her to fetch her the tonics and herbal blends used to clean wounds and to fetch clean cloths to cover the wound. Porcia was fast as Aqualina waited for her at the entrance of the bath chamber.
 
Marcus looked down at the bath water in slight shock and did see, infact, the blotty darkish red did seem to be spreading. He ran his hand down his thigh and felt a shallow gash. He knew exactly where in the battle he got it, although he hadn't felt any pain from it. There was a minute where he was cornered by two of Fenix' men, and one of them took a swing at his legs. He thought he had jumped out of the way of the blade, but apparently, not far enough.

He saw Aqualina call over the servant and he held up a hand to protest. "I am fine, Aqualina. It isn't the first time I've been scuffed by a blade," he said. They still seemed concerned, and he was tired from fighting and being turned away by her, so he finally gave in. "Very well."

He climbed from the tub, which had cooled anyway. His muscles and bones didn't ache as much as before, but he still felt a soreness in his legs and arms from the battle. Still not bothering to cover himself, he headed over to a small stool near the bath and sat down, and stretched out his leg with the wound. "See ladies? It's nothing but a paper cut," he said with a rogue smirk and sense of bravado.
 
Both Porcia's and Aqualina's face turned beet red when Marcus sat on the stool, unashamed of his naked body. Porcia's eyes grew wide attempting to keep her attention on just his face.

Aqualina was steadfast, showing no surprise and made sure her eyes were only on his eyes as this was not the first time she was seeing him nude. Although previously there was little space between them that her eyes could only take in one part of his body.

Porcia held the tonic of willow, a paste made out of plants, and a wad of clean linen to maintain the wound to be protected from the environments. Porcia glanced at Aqualina, unsure of who should be the one to care for Marcus.

Aqualina, whose hands were carefully by her sides glanced at the remedies Porcia held, her right hand left her side as if to reach for the bottle of willow but she quickly retreated it as she glanced back at Marcus.

Despite her strong-cold words toward General Marcus, her true character was warm and caring. She took great pride in caring for her younger siblings and took a great interest in the study of medicine.

Nevertheless her heart could not let go of the fact that he was responsible for her father's death.

Porcia waited Aqualina's command but she knew from her master's lack of quick action that Aqualina would not be the one tending to Marcus.

Porcia placed her lips together, preparing herself to tend to a naked man, who she found as the most handsomest man she had ever seen, even from all the many noble and royal suitors that have begged for Aqualina's hand in marriage.

"If I may." Porcia said as she glanced at Aqualina. Aqualina gave her a quick nod and Porcia went up to Marcus.

She met his eyes and then carefully kneeled in front of him. Making sure her any of her limbs had significant distance from his manhood. The room was silent as Porcia cared for Marcus. Aqualina wanted to leave but she dare not leave her most faithful servant alone in a room with a naked man.

Once Porcia had finished wrapping the linen cloth around his thigh and stood up. Aqualina opened her lips again.

"Well..I hope you have a safe journey to your estate and I'll make an attempt to be present at the Forum tomorrow." She didn't want to tell him flat out that she would be there as she wanted him to worry. And without waiting for any response from General Marcus she left the bath chamber along with Porcia.

Aqualina quickly retired to her bed chamber with Porcia by her side. The kitchen servant brought a full meal to her room but she refused to eat anything other than the fish soup and the plate of fruits that wetted her dry mouth. She often peered through the curtain in her window and glanced outside. Not to desire fresh air, but to watch the departure of her future husband. She would often lick her moist lips, recalling the kiss she shared with him. She should be disgusted by his embrace, but she craved for more despite the hatred she had for him.
 
Marcus sat on the stool and watched Aqualina go. He couldn't tell if he was getting anywhere with her, but he was done pleading with her for the day. Ae started putting his clothes back on and strapping on his armor, he imagined that a regular woman by now would either meld and give into his advances or completely leave in disgust. Aqualina had done neither, stood there taking his hints and prods at a romantic relationship. He couldn't tell if she endured it because he was going to be the future Emperor or if she secretly wanted to give in.

Once he was dressed, he strutted out of the Palace where in the courtyard, Martin was waiting his his horse. Martin stood at attention and gave a Roman salute. "General!"

"Send word to Legate Vitallion. Tomorrow, we partially lift the martial law and call the Senate to order in the Forum. Tell him the marriage announcement is a go."

"Yes, sir. Congratulations, sir?" Martin said with a slight smirk. His cousin-turned-aide seemed to be developing a sly sense of humor.

"We'll see, Martin. And, arrange for a full wing of men to escort Aqualina and her part from the Palace to the Forum, tomorrow."

"Yes, General."

Marcus climbed upon his horse and rode her to the gates of the Palace grounds, where his men saluted and opened them for him. He rode through the city streets towards his home. The streets were quiet, even outside pubs, brothels and inn. Occasionally, he passed a patrol of his guards. It was unusual, he was able to travel across the biggest city in the known world at night and all he heard was the sound of the stone tile road underneath his horse's feet.

He arrived at his estate. Compared to the Palace where he had spent most of his day, it was tiny. It had high stone walls and a solid wooden gate, along with a small modest house and a small yard, including a corner where he had experimented growing grapes. A single guard outside the gate opened the it and let him in, and Marcus took his horse to the single-stall stable area, where he poured some oats and fresh water from a jug himself for the horse.

Heading into the house, his servant had left for the day, or perhaps never arrived due to the martial law, and Marcus prepared his own supper. He grabbed an empty cup and jug of wine from the cellar as well as a small plate of grapes and dried and cured beef from the kitchen. After his modest dinner, he shed his dirty clothes and armor again and collapsed into bed.

The next day, he woke. With his men now allowing very limited travel throughout the city, his servant had made it and prepared breakfast for Marcus. Marcus dressed in a dark red toga - good authoritarian color, he thought, and did a few sit ups and pull ups in his bedroom to keep himself fit before he departed for the Forum.

The Roman Forum was the heart of power of the Empire and an open-air plaza where the Senate met to decide laws. In the era of the Emperors, the Senate usually advised (and bickered with) the Emperor and rubbed-stamped his decisions, but they still were an important part of the Roman political process. When the Senate wasn't in session, the Forum was used for judicial proceedings, and even trading and dealmaking by merchants or, in some special events, hosted small gladiatorial battles that weren't hosted in the Coliseum for whatever reason.

But, today, the Senate was in session and his men were everywhere on the outskirts, providing security. Most of the Senators were there, milling about, standing in groups of their little cliches, chatting with one another about the situation. Senator Fenix, Marcus' contender for the Emperorship was there, bending the ear of Senator Crassus. Crassus was the former best friend of the Emperor, and the biggest supporter of the new Emperor having some claim to the Caesar bloodline. Marcus had to hope that the announcement of this marriage would appease Crassus and have him pull his tacit support for Fenix, or civil war really would be unavoidable.

There was murmurs among the crowd as Marcus arrived. He exchanged a few discreet waves with the few allies he had in the Senate. A small-time Senator came up to him to complain about the martial law. He couldn't visit his favorite brothel last night and had to look to his bath boy for satisfaction. Marcus apologized, listened to the man complain a bit more, before making a polite out of the conversation. He saw Legate Vitallion standing near the dais in the center of the Forum, and made his way over there.

"Has Aqualina made it here yet?"

"She should be here any minute, General," Anthony said.

Marcus nodded. He told himself he was sure she would arrive, but in reality, he wasn't so sure. He looked around for her, scanning the edges of the Forum.
 
"Aqualina, it is time for you to wake up." Porcia gently told her as she peeled away the curtains of her glass window.

Aqualina gently stretched her legs, her eyes still closed. She didn't want to wake, she refused to wake, she didn't want to make her way to the Forum and have General Marcus announce to the Senate that she would marry him.

This was not the way she wanted to announce her engagement.

This was not the man she wanted to marry.

This was not the how she envisioned her life to be.

Growing up as the Emperor's daughter she watched her older sisters be married off to wealthy noble men, some of them with royal titles. Although her sisters never audibly complained to her parents nor to Aqualina, she knew the marriages were never out of love. Thus when she was younger, Aqualina made a promise to herself that she would never marry unless she loved the man. Luckily as being her father's favorite as well as the third daughter out of seven children in the family she had the luxury of truly believing such a thing would come to fruition.

But now that all her elder sisters were married and her two elder brothers deceased Aqualina lost the luxury to choose her husband.

Aqualina slowly opened her heavy eyelids that lacked the rest of a deep slumber. Porcia smiled at her with welcoming eyes, trying her best to keep Aqualina happy.

"I have breakfast ready for you here, we'll first have you bathed, we'll then do your hair and then get you dressed." The servant said as she watched Aqualina sit up in her bed.

Aqualina nodded her head, she wanted to scream from the top of her lungs that she would not accept General Marcus's proposal but she knew that would be unproductive. No matter how loudly Aqualina protested the engagement it was to happen and she had to appear in front of the Senate to assure the people of Rome.

Aqualina drank the fresh grape juice that her kitchen staff made and nibbled on the piece of bread and cheese as her bath was made. She had no appetite for food, but she didn't want to faint like she did the day before on such an important day. She wouldn't want Marcus to think that she was physically weak nor would she want anyone in the Senate to believe that Marcus and his men had poisoned her in order to wipeout the eligible bachelorette.

Once the bath was ready Porcia led Aqualina to her warm rose water bath, to which Aqualina would have enjoyed in any other circumstance. Aqualina was surprised to see the bottles of soap General Marcus had brought to her on their first meeting. She wanted to refuse them and request her usual soap but it seemed that she had lacked the will to make a fuss about her soap. Also, even for an emperor's daughter soap from China was a treat.

While Aqualina cleaned and soothed her emotionally drained body in the bathtub, Porcia and another servant who was employed due to her knowledge in beauty care, carefully combed Aqualina's long golden colored hair. Her hair was braided into six braids and then placed on her head similarity to the Vestal Virgins. Aqualina found this fitting, not just because many Roman woman had their hair in a similar fashion on their wedding day, but because the Vestal Virgins were seen as the backbone of Roman religion and thus belonged to all of the Roman Empire.

Once her hair was finished, Aqualina left her bath chamber and made her way to her dressing room. She was dressed into her undergarments and into a pure white silk stola. She looked angelic in her white stole and she blushed when she saw herself in the mirror.

Several gold bracelets depicted as snakes wrapped around Aqualina's wrist. Her ruby ring gifted by her father laid on her left middle finger. She wore her father's signet ring as a remembrance to him on her right thumb, despite the fact that it was too big for her. A gold necklace, decorated with a single emerald laid around her neck. Her ears pierced with heavy pearls.

A purple silk palla was given to her and was wrapped around her body and made into a veil to cover her head. A jeweled brooch with with her father's portrait was used to pin her palla. Since she was leaving the palace, she was to be fitted with a cloak to cover her dressed body. A red cloak with an eagle embroidered on it was picked by Aqualina as her name originated from the Roman word, aquila; eagle. She took great pride in being named after a strong bird and a bird that was tied to the Roman military.

Once she was dressed, she was escorted out of her palace and into her carriage. Although her mother never formally showed herself to her, she caught a glimpse of her when she left the palace walls. The carriage, made of wood, had a curtain that allowed Aqualina to travel in solitude. Aqualina sat on her fur covered seat while Porcia sat across from her. Guards walked by her carriage to ensure her protection and soon the horses on her carriage trotted away from the palace and to the Forum. Despite the martial law, citizens of the city stood outside their houses in hopes to catch a glimpse of the Emperor's daughter.

"Is the next Empress really in there?" Aqualina heard a young girl ask her mother in the streets.

"It hasn't been formally announced yet, but that is what we all hope. Empress Aqualina, her father was the Emperor." A woman who Aqualina assumed was the mother answered the young girl.

"Empress Aqualina…if I ever have a daughter I'm going to name her Aqualina!" The young girl said in joy.

Aqualina smiled to herself and even carefully peeled the curtain away so she could catch a glimpse of the young girl.

The carriage came to a stop and Aqualina was escorted out of the carriage and into the Forum. She had visited the Forum on several occasions and no nerves plagued her body, but at this time she felt her stomach heavy. She breathed heavily as she made her way to the room occupied by the Senate and the man requesting her hand for marriage, General Marcus.

As soon as she entered, the Senators quieted and she met the eye of General Marcus and with her guards, walking in front of her and behind her, she made her way to where Marcus was standing, waiting for her so he could announce their engagement. Her steps were heavy and loud along the hard floor. She wanted it to be known to everyone in the Forum that she was had arrived and she was doing this not out of weakness but out of strength.
 
Last edited:
Marcus smiled when Aqualina finally entered the Forum. A silence fell upon the room when she entered. Her footsteps rang out on the marble floor like a battering ram on a wooden door. She took a place near Marcus and the dais. With a grin, he approached her, put a hand on her waist, and leaned in and kissed her softly on the cheek. A few small groups of Senators started murmuring. Those not smart enough or connecting enough to know what was going to happen would be shocked.

Marcus leaned into her ear and whispered, “Thank you for coming.” He stepped away from her, leaving his hand lingering on her waist as long as he could, then took his place on the dais, raised up in the center of the room.

“Gentlemen of the Senate, if I may have your attention. I have long wanted to address the Senate, but as you know, current events are tumultuous and our Empire has been in danger. Four days ago, our Caesar was struck down in his own bed by foreign assassins,” Marcus said. More murmurs broke out. Most of the Senators knew the dark secret that Marcus had hired the assassins and arranged their entry into the Palace.

“As a General of the Roman Legion and loyal Son of Rome, I assumed the position of Protector of Rome, and declared martial law on the city and assumed protection of the Imperial Family, since the dissolution of the Imperial Guard.” Fenix scowled at him from the audience. “I know not all of you believe this is right, but as a General, it is my right to command my Legion as I see fit, and without a Caesar, I followed what I believe is the course the Emperor would want. I protected his capital city and his family.” A few more scoffs and murmurs.

“With the Caesar’s sons dead in our pointless expansionary wars and border skirmishes, there is no clear heir to the Empire. I’m sure, in time, a loyal and righteous man will declare himself the next Emperor, heir to the Caesar bloodline, whether by birthright or marriage, and I expect this Senate to recognize his authority to the full extent. The next Emperor, like the Caesar’s before him, will be the Gods’ chosen representative on this world. A living god-king. He will have the authority over Rome, the Senate, the Legions and all the Sons of Rome.”

There was a scattered light applause from some Senators. Praising the sanctity of the Emperor was an easy way to get some cheap applause from an audience of loyal Romans.

“I am a patriot, a Son of Rome, and the protector of the Roman empire. Seeing as how the Caesar bloodline must be protected at all costs, I have a very special announcement to make,” Marcus said. He swallowed, feeling a lump in his throat. Still, he cleared his throat briefly and still managed to sound confident and proud.

“In my time caring for the Emperor’s family, both his eldest unwed daughter, Aqualina, and I were struck by the goddess Juno. We have fallen in love, and I have asked for her hand in marriage. She has accepted, and we will be wed in seven days. An important announcement will be made there about the future of Rome, and I ask that all Senators assembled attend the-….”

Before he could finish, the proverbial shoe dropped. Anybody who didn’t know General Marcus Tiberius’ plan before did now. Those who did know, were shocked he had the gaul to go through with it. His supporters were proud that it was coming together. The Forum erupted in shouting. Some Senators were shouting support for Marcus. Some were shouting horrible things. Some were just shocked, standing there with an open mouth.

“He plans to be Emperor? Everybody knows the right to be Emperor pass through the Caesar’s sons. Can this girl’s child even be considered an Emperor?” One Senator was heard asking.

“Even if, does it make Tiberius an Emperor?”

“Tiberius is a righteous man and a good patriot. He will make a fine emperor.”

Senator Fenix stormed the dais. “You lie, Tiberius! You think sleeping with the Emperor’s daughter will make you a Caesar? You will be hung from a crucifix for laying a hand on the Emperor’s virgin daughter when the true friends of Caesar gain power.”

Marcus took another step towards Fenix and got right in his face. “Then I’ll see you in the Underworld when I get there.” He turned heel and walked down the dais and back towards Aqualina. He glanced over and looked to the face of Senator Crassus. Crassus was standing, confused. He didn’t know what to think. When Marcus turned back, a rather nasty looking Senator named Pamprepius was approaching Aqualina.

“You’re a whore, girl. Your father will spite your soul for spreading your legs before marriage. And to his murderer, no less. You’re no better than a brothel-…”

Before he could say another word, Marcus wrapped his hand around his neck and stiff-armed him away from Aqualina.

The powerful soldier held his grip tighter on the skinny politician’s neck. He could still breathe, but just barely.

“Unhand me…” he gasped.

“If you have anything to say to my future wife, you say it to me,” Marcus said in a low, guttural tone. It was his soldier voice. It was the voice he used when he commanded legions of men to go to war. It was the voice he used before he took a life.

Marcus unhanded Pamprepius and the skinny awful man fell to the floor. He crawled away from Marcus, holding his neck. “How dare you lay hands on a Senator! I would take your military commission if you weren’t the self-appointed King of Rome!”

Marcus laid a hand on his sword. “Perhaps you wish to duel, then. We can leave this matter up to the Gods and settle this by sword.”

Pamprepius said nothing. He rose to his feet and quickly disappeared into the crowd. Fenix, watching from the dais, laughed.

“You sure have made a lot of friends today, Marcus,” Fenix mocked. A few laughs came from the assembled Senators.

“If you were a real man, you’d do the same for your wife,” Marcus replied. More laughs from other Senators.

With the show over, Marcus turned back to Aqualina and took her hand. “Please, let me escort you to your carriage, my love.” He led her out of the Forum chambers and started heading back towards the outside of the building. The Senators erupted in conversation after they left the room.

“I’m sorry you had to hear that vile talk from Pamprepius,” he said to her. “Roman politics at its finest, usually nothing more than harsh words and insults. A little Legion muscle and nobody will dare lift their tongue against you again. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that, he has a few friends, but I can’t tolerate anybody speaking down on women. Especially the one I love. I hope that displace of violence didn’t bother you.”

As they approached the front doors of the Forum and the waiting carriage, Marcus again put his hand on her waist and again kissed her on the cheek. “I have to meet with my allies in the Senate to discuss what just happened. If you don’t bother, may I join you for dinner tonight?”
 
Back
Top