Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
JackLuis
Literotica Guru

If the rumours about Gore Vidal are true,

I put this question here because it is probably a 'non-judgmental' crowd.

Gore Vidal aged 21. The writer stated in his memoir Palimpsest that he was 'attracted to adolescent males'. Photograph: Jerry Cooke/Time & Life Pictures/Getty Image

Quote:
In connection with a new book about Vidal, his half-sister and a nephew have hinted that he may have had a secret passion for underage boys. And Vidal more or less admitted it himself, writing in his memoir Palimpsest that he was "attracted to adolescent males".

Given this context, an incident in 1977 will also now bring literary cops running. Martin Amis, interviewing Vidal for the Observer, was required to give him copy approval, and was asked to change Amis's description of "homosexual" to "pansexual". Vidal was prissily fastidious about the meaning of words and his suggested substitution can be taken as a confession that nothing and no one was erotically off-limits.
So he was a little queer, I'll not cast the first stone.

But what about Wagner?
He was an anti-Semite, but few seem to shun his music? Can music be racial?

Here My Stories

The Horny Springs Saga continues.

My New Best Friend, for our VE's

Fiction writers are just liars with typing skills.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
PayDay
unlabelable

This is something that has been bothering me about continuing to write.

Out of context for my writing is correct for another.

What it would take is an investigation into whom the man was as a whole and a reading of his writing.

Should his Moral Compass be set to neutral then it could go either way.

This is purely theory as I do not know the man personally nor am I a fan.

I am going to go read some and check back to this thread for posterity as the concept holds premise.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )

Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLuis View Post
So he was a little queer, I'll not cast the first stone.

But what about Wagner?
He was an anti-Semite, but few seem to shun his music? Can music be racial?
There's a disconnect between what you cite and what you write. You write that he was "a little queer." Well, Duh. Have you been under a rock?

What you cite is suggesting he was a pedophile for underage boys.

"A little queer" and a "pedophile for underage boys" aren't the same thing.

I think pansexual was pretty much on, so, no I'm not surprised about what you cited. I'm just not sure that you understand what you cited.

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 11-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Zeb_Carter

Quote:
I put this question here because it is probably a 'non-judgmental' crowd.
Got that right...don't even care about him or anything associated to him. That non-judgmental enough?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

What, if any, is the difference between being 'bi-sexual' and 'pansexual'? I mean, both mean a switch hitter don't they? Of course Pan was half goat and liked to fuck both women and goats which would lead one to surmise if Vidal was pansexual he liked to fuck guys, girls and goats?

Just wondering.

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE999 View Post
What, if any, is the difference between being 'bi-sexual' and 'pansexual'? I mean, both mean a switch hitter don't they? Of course Pan was half goat and liked to fuck both women and goats which would lead one to surmise if Vidal was pansexual he liked to fuck guys, girls and goats?

Just wondering.
Something like that, yes. And knotholes in fences. And cross-dressing and transvestite. The whole nine yards.

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
PayDay
unlabelable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
This is something that has been bothering me about continuing to write.

Out of context for my writing is correct for another.

What it would take is an investigation into whom the man was as a whole and a reading of his writing.

Should his Moral Compass be set to neutral then it could go either way.

This is purely theory as I do not know the man personally nor am I a fan.

I am going to go read some and check back to this thread for posterity as the concept holds premise.
"Congress no longer declares war or makes budgets. So that's the end of the constitution as a working machine."

I could see how people get Vidal wrong.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )

Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
JackLuis
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
There's a disconnect between what you cite and what you write. You write that he was "a little queer." Well, Duh. Have you been under a rock?

What you cite is suggesting he was a pedophile for underage boys.

"A little queer" and a "pedophile for underage boys" aren't the same thing.

I think pansexual was pretty much on, so, no I'm not surprised about what you cited. I'm just not sure that you understand what you cited.
Actually the allegations, implied, are consistent with his general reputation, but his attraction to adolescent males, may have been Platonic with the underaged. He did not strike me as a slavering beast, but I'll bet he was attracted by college boys.

However that does not answer the question, should we disregard the artistic output simply because he sucked a few dicks? Should we burn his works?

Here My Stories

The Horny Springs Saga continues.

My New Best Friend, for our VE's

Fiction writers are just liars with typing skills.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
ishtat
Literotica Guru

A few things we know for certain about Gore Vidal:

He was a brilliant intellect.
A brilliant wit.
A master of words.

And I suspect he knew, firstly, exactly what he was saying, secondly the indignation it would cause for certain people, and thirdly he would have walked away laughing at their expense.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
mikoli5763
Really Experienced

If you start

with his works, can you stop or do you have to start banning Truman Capote's or any other non-straight author or authoress?
Because he stated he had "an attraction" to adolescent males doesn't mean he had sexual relations with any.
I have attractions to women of all ages, types, and races, but I'm not having sex with any of them. I love one woman and she loves me and I can live with the thoughts without actually acting upon them.
He was human like the rest of us with all the good and bad that are in all of us.
I have a gay nephew who I love as much as my two straight ones and I try and treat him the same although I must admit I don't always succeed.
Once you start down the road of censorship, you can't ever go back.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

Quote:
Actually the allegations, implied, are consistent with his general reputation, but his attraction to adolescent males, may have been Platonic with the underaged. He did not strike me as a slavering beast, but I'll bet he was attracted by college boys.

However that does not answer the question, should we disregard the artistic output simply because he sucked a few dicks? Should we burn his works?
Well, according to sr, Vidal also fucked knotholes, goats and anything else that moved and some that didn't. He was also a cross dressing transvestite that didn't
wash his hands after taking a poop.

Disregard him, I say!

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Of course not. Who is this weak-brained "we" you refer to?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
desertslave
Amateur Painslut

<shrug>

I liked some of his books, disliked a few, didn't read others.

I don't tend to delve into authors' (or musicians' or artists') personal lives on my own. Some of them have that thrust into my cognizance by the press, themselves, or my next door neighbor. Whatever...creative people are often quirky in one or several ways (I could look in the mirror to tell you that!). I'm generally much more interested in the product than the producer.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
carlieplum
Really Really Experienced

"In connection with a new book about Vidal, his half-sister and a nephew have hinted that he may have had a secret passion for underage boys. And Vidal more or less admitted it himself, writing in his memoir Palimpsest that he was "attracted to adolescent males"."

So basically, his relatives, to cash in on his legacy are making sure the most salacious details of his life are trotted to the fore to they can sell as many books as possible.

For myself, I draw a line between what you think about and what you do. Vidal thought about it? None of my business. If he had acted on it, e.g., Roman Polanski drugging and raping an underage girl in a hot tub, well, that's something different. I do make a policy not to give my dollars to purchase the works of a child rapist.

As far as the analogy to Wagner goes, there's ample evidence that Gore Vidal was far more anti-Semitic than Wagner every thought of being. (We should of course take into account that people aren't always careful to bifurcate Wagner's own anti-Semitic writings with the uses to which his music was put by the Nazis. It is, I think, unfair to blame him for the latter, what with him being dead at the time and all.)

Old 11-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

Given how many things Vidal was against, being anti-Semitic was just a footnote. Near as I can tell, the only thing he really did like was Gore Vidal.

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

"Soldiers are citizens of Death's grey land, drawing no dividends from time's tomorrow. They deposit their life blood, their hopes and aspirations into the cauldron of war so that others might draw on that exchange and have lives they could only dream of having."--Siegfried Sassoon

Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
lovecraft68
Not one of the cool kids

People's personal lives and their art are usually separate. I try to keep it that way. I think Tom Cruise is a tool, but if one of his movies looks good, I'll go see it.

But...

When you start talking about molesting children, that's a hard disconnect.

Probably going to be less backlash on his work because he's dead.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

The Best 3 minutes of news I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdmtJCEWPA

Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
horrorotica
Really Experienced

Gore Vidal may have been attracted to underage teen boys but that doesn't mean he did anything about it. There's a big difference between being homosexual and being a paedophile. Homosexuality is a mutually consenting relationship of equals, paedophilia is about grooming, control, & power.

On the question of whether a fall from grace by an artist can turn you off their work, in my experience the answer is yes. However, it depends on what is the reason. As someone said above Tom Cruise's nutbag Scientology antics don't turn me off his movies. Yet once I first learnt that Michael Jackson was paedophile I shunned him and his music completely.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

In Gore Vidal's case, you could have shunned him and still have read his many excellent books (especially those on American history, I thought) by checking them out of the library rather than buying them.

Besides finding him a brilliant writer, both as Vidal and Edgar Box (except I thought Creation was just plain weird), he always made me laugh by being the "bad boy" of the extended Kennedy clan. His chorus girl mother was married to Jackie's stepfather at one time and the Gores (Tennessee politics) and the Kennedys mingled a lot. For many years they'd invite Gore Vidal to family gatherings and while they were all being tight-assed (think Al Gore) and pretending that they weren't just second generation crooks and con men, he'd lay a turd in the middle of the dining room table with an outrageous (but telling) balloon-popping comment or two.

He was a pretty boy sent to boy's prep schools, and I'd bet my old Mercedes that he was on the other end of pedophilia before he ever left that life. He wasn't just gay, though. Anis Nin wrote of an affair they had and he was engaged to and living with Joanne Woodward before she slipped off with Paul Newman (and then slipped back, Newman in tow, to Vidal's house, where they all lived together for a while--which would make a nifty celebrity MFM story here, I'll bet).

Last edited by sr71plt : 11-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:

As controversies go, this looks like a tepid non-starter to me. Slow day at the office or something?

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

Oh, probably. I mean, how long has this guy been dead?

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

"Soldiers are citizens of Death's grey land, drawing no dividends from time's tomorrow. They deposit their life blood, their hopes and aspirations into the cauldron of war so that others might draw on that exchange and have lives they could only dream of having."--Siegfried Sassoon