Sailor's Cove, A New Achorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakesailer_mi

Sailing
Sailor's Cove, A New Anchorage

As the sun's light sneaks over Eastern the horizon, I can just make out a dark patch against the shimmering waves off my port side. With practiced maneuvers, I tack the boat and set the sails so that I am nicely making way toward the shadow.

The morning is bright and a stiff wind raises rolling waves, but my vessel, the Sloop John B slides seemingly effortlessly through them. The island, now green against the deep blue of the surrounding sea slowly, gradually comes closer. I keep feeling that I should be there by now, and my excitement at making landfall again has me constantly checking the nav station.

As I close with the island, I can just make out what appears to be an opening into a sheltered cove. I short tack the boat along the shore, until the angle is right to make a final approach into the cove.

The approach to the cove is somewhat narrow, but my angle was perfect and I slide safely into the opening. The cove itself opens up into a calm sheltered place, lined by white sand beaches and low groves of lush foliage. About 20 meters off the shore, I turn into the wind and rush forward, releasing the anchor as the momentum of the John B dissipates against the breeze. The anchor makes a satisfying "splunch" into the water and the chain rattles as I watch it drop into the clear blue depths. I can feel the tines bite deep into the sandy bottom, and I rest easily, knowing that I am safely anchored yet again.

I start coffee brewing in the galley and then tend to the sails, carefully stowing them for my next adventure. I can smell the coffee as I coil and make up the last of the lines.

I sit in the cockpit, surveying my new anchorage, coffee - barnacle cleaner - warming my hands. This place, I think, will do nicely. A safe haven from the storms that buffet the high seas. A place where your anchor sets nicely, and the sun warms blue water.

Welcome, one and all, to Sailor's Cove...A New Anchorage.

Last edited:
Welcome back!! :)

but you spelled it wrong!! :caning::caning:

where did you sail in Michigan?

https://encrypted-tbn1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZGFWzzX5jeQCJ9LnscbN8YoY_dmJ0gZGIXKF85iJst4Mzvwoz

Welcome folks...

Welcome back!! :)

but you spelled it wrong!! :caning::caning:

where did you sail in Michigan?

LMAO....

Yeah, this has been my dilemma...:rolleyes:
(I suck at spelling!)

I grew up in the Detroit area, mostly sailing on Lake St. Clair.
I also sailed on Huron and Erie with some regularity and occasionally on Lake Michigan.

I also sailed on smaller lakes both close to home and further away. When I left home, and moved away, I've tried to sail wherever I lived. Some places have been great. Others, well, I was sailing.

LMAO....

(I suck at spelling!)

I also sailed on Huron and Erie with some regularity and occasionally on Lake Michigan.

I also sailed on smaller lakes both close to home and further away. When I left home, and moved away, I've tried to sail wherever I lived. Some places have been great. Others, well, I was sailing.

I was raised in Madison Heights...and we had a 32 foot Pacemaker that we kept over behind Metro for years. We used to go to either Gull Island or The Hole in The Wall till they closed up the hole and Gull got too crowded and crazy to take the kids.. then Little Muscamoot became our place of refuge.

I remember coming home one day in July. It was Thursday morning. I told the old lady that me and the kids were heading to the boat for the 4th of July weekend. It was mid 90s and sunny the whole time and we had 19 boats all rafted together... we swung in a long slow lazy arc for all those days drinking and eating like kings. Such a great memory..

I've been to Port Huron on the boat a few times.. and we went across the lake to Put In Bay, Kelleys Island and Cedar Point a few times too.. great times..

I was raised in Madison Heights...and we had a 32 foot Pacemaker that we kept over behind Metro for years. We used to go to either Gull Island or The Hole in The Wall till they closed up the hole and Gull got too crowded and crazy to take the kids.. then Little Muscamoot became our place of refuge.

I remember coming home one day in July. It was Thursday morning. I told the old lady that me and the kids were heading to the boat for the 4th of July weekend. It was mid 90s and sunny the whole time and we had 19 boats all rafted together... we swung in a long slow lazy arc for all those days drinking and eating like kings. Such a great memory..

I've been to Port Huron on the boat a few times.. and we went across the lake to Put In Bay, Kelleys Island and Cedar Point a few times too.. great times..

No kidding! I didn't know we hailed from the same area (or did I and I forgot?).

That sounds like great times.

We used to go to Put In Bay sometimes. It was the finish line for the Mills cup, an overnight race starting off Toledo. If I recall right, the course took us past Cedar Point then across to the Canadian shore then back to Put In Bay.

I used to race the Port Huron to Mac, and I've cruised up in the North Channel a little (cruising is actually not my thing).

No kidding! I didn't know we hailed from the same area (or did I and I forgot?).

That sounds like great times.

We used to go to Put In Bay sometimes. It was the finish line for the Mills cup, an overnight race starting off Toledo. If I recall right, the course took us past Cedar Point then across to the Canadian shore then back to Put In Bay.

I used to race the Port Huron to Mac, and I've cruised up in the North Channel a little (cruising is actually not my thing).

----------------

i don't remember either, so its all good. :)

We never went up the north channel unless we were going somewhere.. The south end was a lot better IMO. The Basset Cut was always a great place to ski and tube and we did it with our small boat.. that pic is us going down the Detroit River near Crystal Bay, heading to Put In Bay for the first time.. it got pretty wild after the pic. We waiting in Crystal Bay for the lake to settle down.. and finally left around midnight. It was sooooo dark and a storm came up. I was up on the flybridge driving and we ended up with 12-14 footers.. my feet were 12 feet off the water and I had waves crashing into the bow rail and going over my head.. I was never so happy to see Perrys Monument.. I did see a streak of lighting go horizontal from one end of the sky to the other...I wish I had a pic of that image.. Amazing..

I'd kill for some of that chicken right outside the Roundhouse Bar after drinking draft beer out of pails all day. That has GOT to be the best food evah!

Attachments

• scan0041.jpg
    scan0041.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 68
----------------

i don't remember either, so its all good. :)

We never went up the north channel unless we were going somewhere.. The south end was a lot better IMO. The Basset Cut was always a great place to ski and tube and we did it with our small boat.. that pic is us going down the Detroit River near Crystal Bay, heading to Put In Bay for the first time.. it got pretty wild after the pic. We waiting in Crystal Bay for the lake to settle down.. and finally left around midnight. It was sooooo dark and a storm came up. I was up on the flybridge driving and we ended up with 12-14 footers.. my feet were 12 feet off the water and I had waves crashing into the bow rail and going over my head.. I was never so happy to see Perrys Monument.. I did see a streak of lighting go horizontal from one end of the sky to the other...I wish I had a pic of that image.. Amazing..

I'd kill for some of that chicken right outside the Roundhouse Bar after drinking draft beer out of pails all day. That has GOT to be the best food evah!

WOW! 12 -14 would be a hell of a ride!

Good food around there!

Unfortunately, I've got to head out.

I'll be back later...

Tell sailing stories and what ever else you can think of...just leave me a donut or two.

Requesting permission to board sir! I come baring a gift. So very glad you opened back up!!!!! I just read I am close to where you grew up!
tumblr_mweu0oYwWS1scrb3go1_500.jpg

LMAO....

(I suck at spelling!)

I laughed so hard when I saw your thread! I thought you spelled it wrong, on purpose, considering your name. Goof.

:D

Last edited:
Just peeking in so I can find my way back in a storm.

Hope you're having a good weekend, darling Sailer. :kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back