Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
patientlee
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLife View Post
Sometimes I need to talk to somebody who truly loves, respecs and understands me

The dog is always willing to listen of course, but I suspect he's mainly in it for the food...
I suspect that you're right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw

Christmas in July: Sam's in denial, but not for long.

Lactation Is Sexy as Hell: How to make your fetish story sound realistic.

My Stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
horrorotica
Really Experienced

I think my biggest improvement as a writer so far is the grammatical stuff, rather than the ideas. I always had good ideas for stories. But when I read some of my earlier work and see how bad my grammar really was, and how clumsily I structured sentences at times; it does confound me.

Not that I'm perfect at it now but I think I have gotten better. Which fills me with hope that it will get even better still. At least I hope so.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
sensualwhispers
Experienced

Smile then and now

The first ever story i wrote and put on here was "view from a ladder.
Looking back on it i still think its pretty good, although others may disagree, but it is different to my later writing. With me i never seem to have a style it all depends on how i feel at the time of writing. sometimes i write in first person and at others third. whichever one i choose normally dictates the way the story comes out. the one im always most surprised with is "Food for thought." it took 3 hours to write maximum and yet it was the easiest. whether its the best i will let the readers decide.
At the moment i'm writing my first novel and i'm finding it very frustrating. i posted the first 2 chapters on here and reading them back i actually cringe at how bad they are. when i say i'm writing it i have completed it and sent it off but the manuscript got rejected. My pc now as 3 different versions of the same story and i have very frayed nerves. it will get finished and it will be better than my first attempt.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
jomar
chillin

Nothing new for artists looking back and cringing.

I like my progress as a writer. even it it is not as popular here as it goes on. I've said this before, many of my stories are style experiments and others are category experiments. Is fun.

Last edited by jomar : 11-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #30
patientlee
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorotica View Post
I think my biggest improvement as a writer so far is the grammatical stuff, rather than the ideas. I always had good ideas for stories. But when I read some of my earlier work and see how bad my grammar really was, and how clumsily I structured sentences at times; it does confound me.

Not that I'm perfect at it now but I think I have gotten better. Which fills me with hope that it will get even better still. At least I hope so.

Has anyone else gone through this?
I'm the opposite. Grammar and spelling are what I do. It's the storytelling that needs work. I'm getting there, I guess.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
patientlee
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
Nothing new for artists looking back and cringing.

I like my progress as a writer. even it it is not as popular here as it goes on. I've said this before, many of my stories are style experiments and others are category experiments. Is fun.
I love that iceberg avatar. Beautiful.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #32
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by patientlee View Post
I suspect that you're right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw
LOL

That was spot on

My stories on Literotica.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #33
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

My first story here was 'My Tree Hugger' in the Lesbian Sex category. http://www.literotica.com/s/my-tree-hugger

Alex the Cat (a top notch author) helped me reconstruct it after it was rejected twice because, frankly, it was Christawful in terms of punctuation, paragraph breaks and sentence construction. Much to my surprise, when it finally was posted, it bagged an immediate H which pleased me no end.

I've learned a helluva lot about writing since then from practice, experience and, most importantly, from some terrific authors around here; many of whom are since gone.

To quote Jerry Garcia "What a long and strange trip it's been."

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #34
jomar
chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patientlee View Post
I love that iceberg avatar. Beautiful.
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #35
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru

I'm editing part of my previous post.

Three Lit authors took time from their lives to teach me dialogue, plot, editing, and more. Two no longer post on the AH. Slyc is the third. I am forever thankful to him for all he taught me about writing. Without his support, I wouldn't be here today.

My Page
My Blog
FAWC 2 Winner

Kink Bingo
Romance Bingo

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #36
RoyceConnors
Gentleman Badass

Location: In a land beyond, beyond, in a world past hope and fear
I think my greatest improvement since I started, is in story construct and flow. I remember the first stories I did and I was, if lucky, getting a 3.0 > 4.0 on a good day. I'm averaging scores around 4.70 > 4.9 now and getting a couple of 5 votes, so I feel I made the improvements needed to bring up the quality of construct and flow that people enjoy reading.

It was finding my own style of writing that was hardest to discover and not a mish-mash of other authors. Once I did that, that was my defining moment in improving.

Have a Nice Day! Mother f**ker

Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
patientlee
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLife View Post
LOL

That was spot on
On the other hand, I have cats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQwJOLfr1k

Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #38
Trinique_Fire
Mommy's Girl

I generally didn't write a lot of stories at first, but my attempts basically made me look exactly like what I was: a naive, sex starved, practically virginal 18 year old.

Some of my poetry was pretty decent, but the rest of it was like abstract blabbering I thought made me seem deep and mysterious.

I like me better now. I'm working on a post-apocalyptic novel and a few other projects.

AmeriCorps Service Member 2009-2010

...there are times I'm not the woman you imagine me to be...when I'm just a girl who needs...and my need is deep, profound, and overpowering to the point of confusion and insecurity and all I know is the girl I am touching and all I want is to touch more and all I can do is give in...is surrender...~Vail

"Part of being a minority is living with the majorities will no matter how it may be imposed on you. With that comes having to 'take what you can get' in order to make any advancement. Advancement to the exact same rights and personal freedoms you've had since birth and which are still to this day denied to us because we love differently."

Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #39
DwellerDark
Virgin

My first story in this style was "End of the Road, Nebraska," about a guy who runs away from his crumbling life and finds peace with a late-shift diner waitress halfway across the country. I wrote it back in 2009 and posted it in the Romance category. It got a nice response (some very kind comments and email feedback) and I was really happy with it at the time, but looking back on it I find the writing a bit embarrassing. My worst infraction, I feel, was trying to give the female character an "accent," which I later learned is something you should avoid unless you're really good at what you do. The story itself I still like. It's simple, sexy, sweet. I would probably change the ending and maybe expand on it or make it stronger in some way.

I've written a few stories in the interim, though I only successfully posted one, a short novella called "Faith Falls," just a few weeks ago. It's not my newest (I wrote it mainly around 2011 and 2012) but I feel like it's my strongest and I can detect more confidence and less inhibition in my writing, though I still edited it quite a bit before submitting it and there are many other things I would change if I were to ever really publish it. In the past few years I've been reading more and trying to write in a more straightforward manner. However, I sometimes feel like I don't have the spirit for it anymore, and that maybe I hit my peak a few years ago.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #40
drteetho
Really Experienced

The first story I posted here was Ashley's Angelic. It's not terrible (at least I don't think so) but it does feel strained and forced. Plus that story and a second one I wrote a few months later with a pregnancy theme were part of a storyline I've since abandoned and may never pick up again. So there are dangling unfinished threads all over the place, and on the few times I re-read those two stories I'm painfully reminded of that problem.

I definitely think I'm a better writer now, and that's mostly due to more practice and repetition. I'm not a professional writer, and I have no delusions that I'm good enough to be one. This is a fun hobby and release for me. While I believe I'm good with the grammar and spelling, and getting better with generating interesting and sexy storylines and ideas, I'm not very disciplined as a writer. Sometimes I wonder how I'd do if I was more disciplined and applied myself better.

If there's one person I need to thank it's probably an author on this site who goes under the name Mostera1. I know he doesn't post to the AH, I'm not sure if he posts to any of the other forums because this is the only one on Lit that I frequent. But he's been very supportive and encouraging of my writing and comes up with interesting ideas that sometimes find their way in my stories. It feels good to know I've made that connection with someone.