Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > GLBT Chatter

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
How Straight Men Who Have Sex With Gay Men Explain Their Encounters

They interpret that they are exclusively or primarily attracted to women, and many also conclude that they have no sexual attraction to men in spite of their desire to have sex with men. They define sexual attraction as a combination of physical and emotional attraction, and they assess that their interest in women includes both, while their interest in men is purely or mainly sexual, not romantic or emotional. Moreover, some perceive that they are not drawn toward male bodies in the same way as they are drawn to female bodies, and some observe that the only physical part of a man that interests them is his penis. Men in the latter group do not find men handsome or attractive, but they do find penises attractive, and they thus see penises as Ďliving dildosí or, in other words, disembodied objects of desire that provide a source of sexual pleasure. Finally, as a management strategy for judging that their sexual interest in women is greater and more intense than their interest in men, they sometimes limit their repertoires of same-sex sexual practices or interpret them as less important than their sexual practices with women. That way, they can tell themselves that their sexual interest in women is unbounded, while their sexual interest in men is not. What are your thoughts on this?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
All this contributes to their sense that they qualify as being called straight or heterosexual, even when some also recognize that their sexualities do indeed differ from exclusive heterosexuality, which in turn leads them to adopt secondary descriptors of their sexual identities. As indicated by the variety of terms that they used, those descriptors often reinforce a perception that, as a sexual orientation category, heterosexuality is elastic instead of rigid ó that some degree of samesex desire and behaviour need not automatically push an individual out of the heterosexual category. And while some men are willing to recognize that their sexual behaviours might qualify their being called bisexual ó and they may privately identify with that label ó they feel that there is no contradiction between holding a private awareness of being bisexual and a public persona as straight or heterosexual. Again, this conclusion is strengthened by a lack of social incentives to adopt bisexual identities.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
My personal thoughts maybe a little controversial:
I think everybody is a little bi. Isnít that what this research is about? Thereís the Kinsey scale Ö Itís not like Bush saying youíre either with us or with the terrorists. I think Iím probably bi but what I present to the world is a heterosexual man. Internally Iím bi, but thatís not something most people know. Iím not ashamed, but the majority of people are ignorant and close-minded.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
gailwright
Experienced
 
gailwright is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Freud Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidude9 View Post
My personal thoughts maybe a little controversial:
I think everybody is a little bi. Isnít that what this research is about? Thereís the Kinsey scale Ö Itís not like Bush saying youíre either with us or with the terrorists. I think Iím probably bi but what I present to the world is a heterosexual man. Internally Iím bi, but thatís not something most people know. Iím not ashamed, but the majority of people are ignorant and close-minded.
Freud said that people are constitutionally (from birth) bisexual.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
719Jonny
Virgin
 
719Jonny is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidude9 View Post
My personal thoughts maybe a little controversial:
I think everybody is a little bi. Isnít that what this research is about? Thereís the Kinsey scale Ö Itís not like Bush saying youíre either with us or with the terrorists. I think Iím probably bi but what I present to the world is a heterosexual man. Internally Iím bi, but thatís not something most people know. Iím not ashamed, but the majority of people are ignorant and close-minded.
I think you raise a very valid point there. The idea of simple black and white choices around sexuality can be so restrictive when there are 50 shades of grey to explore....
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
briacon429
Virgin
 
briacon429 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 17
I do agree most people are somewhere in the middle, but Iím not sure I agree with Freud that everyone is bisexual at birth. The Kinsey scale is a step in the right direction, though itís still a little simplistic (albeit groundbreaking for its time).

I donít think my sexuality has ever really changed, but what did change is how I identified myself.

Back when I was in the closet, I told myself I was straight, and I just thought of men as the forbidden fruit. So thatís how I rationalized the gay porn stash on my computer (which was always more extensive than my straight porn) and the fact that I caught myself checking out guys on the street (though I never took it further at the time).

Eventually I admitted that I really did like guys, so I started identifying as bi, and I started dating men. Eventually, after a few years of this, I realized I had no desire to ever go back to women. So now I identify as gay.

At the same time, I donít agree with people who say that being bi is just a steppingstone to being gay (or however they choose to put it). I have plenty of bi friends who really do like both, so sometimes they date men and sometimes women. To each his own; the main thing is that you go for whatever youíre into, and whatever makes you happy.
__________________
Gay and loving it! Read my Literotica stories here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
SuperSissy
Really Experienced
 
SuperSissy's Avatar
 
SuperSissy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 187
I don't think of myself with reference to a label (despite my user name). I'm not all gay or sissy or bi or straight, but sometimes I am. Without a label, I can be what I feel on any particular day. But, if I wanted to have a label, I would without hesitation, and if you have a label for yourself I think that's great too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Briacon429 - First of all, Congrats! Iím glad youíve overcame the acceptance within yourself and be the man you were to be. It is unfortunate that men and women have to go through this still till this day. Though it is getting better but not nearly there yet.
I still believe that society has there negative opinions on LGBTQ community and most likely will.
And due to that, parents will teach this to there children as a negative thing as I was taught that it was a bad thing ..
I agree with you about the titles I think some men use the bi title but in reality there gay but for if themselves or others the use it because GAY just is the lowest in there mind.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
SuperSissy - I totally agree with about the label reference. I myself donít like to label myself either.
As you mentioned despite my username,..
All the best man
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
txfuncouple
Literotica Guru
 
txfuncouple is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 768
You make some valid points and observations. I'm hetero, attracted to women, and always have been. I don't find any attraction to men outside of being a member of "the straight guy attracted to cock" club. We incorporated varying levels of play in our fantasy life and extended that to include the real M/M play. We actually look at it as a real life sex toy we occasionally use for mutual pleasure and nothing more. Our position is why limit your personal pleasure by what others tell you is acceptable. The only caveat to that in our book is illegal activity with children or other forms of abuse.

My contribution is that we each have to accept what we feel is normal to each of us and as individuals realize that another person's sexual identity is their business and respect that. Lots of people we know would disapprove of our kinks and preferences, but we keep our business to ourselves and don't advertise it on social media or to others.

I think given the removal of societial labels and hang ups, most normal people would indulge in same sex pleasure given the opportunity as a way to push their own boundaries of pleasure and experience the variety. Men being into watching women but afraid of M/M contact under the same premise is such an antiquated view of sexuality that it just doesn't make sense to me at all.
__________________
Married couple with more than a casual interest in M/M/F. Wife isn't bi but enjoys M/M. Always happy to PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
This same dynamic ó the idea that men ďgetĒ something about sex that women donít, and that because thereís a fully mutual understanding that whatís going on is just sex, same-sex experiences can be set off safely away from the rest of oneís (heterosexual) identity. You can be a ďgood father,Ē which many men imply to mean being a strong, straight man, while still messing around with men on the side. From these menís perspective, they can have it both ways ó the privileges of identifying as straight and the pleasure and excitement of same-sex relationships on the side ó without their identity being threatened. Thoughts?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Txfuncouple - completely agree with you on removing labels, however as well know which is very unfortunate playing devils advocate (whoís normal?)are we because we donít tolerate ignorance or bigotry from hatred groups as themselves or them?
Your absolutely right it doesnít make any sense to me either trust me man, just opening I dialogue here..
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
briacon429
Virgin
 
briacon429 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 17
Thanks BiDude!

As far as what society expects, I think a lot depends on the environment youíre in. I was lucky because my family and friends were always accepting. But even then, I wanted to play the part of the ďperfect guyĒ which meant I was supposed to get a good job and be with a beautiful woman, among other things. So that was the hurdle I had to get overó it was more of an internal struggle than anything else. I can only imagine what itís like for people with homophobic families, or in cultures that donít accept it.

Youíre absolutely right that guys know what guys want! Thatís one of my favorite things about gay sex. That, and getting my prostate hit (which is a joy that a lot of straight guys donít even know aboutó and man, are they missing out!)
__________________
Gay and loving it! Read my Literotica stories here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Briacon429- sounds like we had pretty similar paths, I always ďassumed ď my family wanted me to to become this Perfect Jock, Educated, Married, Family.. and they still do, but whoís to say that I canít still have that...
My family/friends are pretty incredible and Iím blessed to have them .. yah and your right, itís unfortunate because thereís so many others that have it worse living religious, homophobia, or cultural differences as you mentioned.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #15
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
The subject of straight-identifying men who have sex with other men is a fascinating one, in that it shines a light on some extremely potent, personal concepts pertaining to identity and sexuality and oneís place in society. Thatís why some sociologists and other researchers have been very eager to seek out such men and hear them explain how they fit same-sex sexual activity into their conception of heterosexuality.
Some of us men do think that our behavior possibly qualifies us as bisexual, but didnít quite want to take the step of identifying as such:
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
ericrodman101
Literotica Guru
 
ericrodman101's Avatar
 
ericrodman101 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,257
I am bi, always have been. I am straight acting but not at the jock end of the spectrum, just a run of the mill office guy who doesn't stand out in the crowd for any reason. I go through stages where I swing (ha!) more gay or more straight. Going through a gay stage ATM. I think everyone is probably bi, but cultural pressure is strong as is the obligation some people feel to their partners to be monogamous whether straight or gay ie some people don't go looking for alternative fucks. I have had longer term relationships (up to a year) with men and women, and I feel attracted to men and women all the time. Sometimes it's opportunity that pushes me one way or another. I am looking at guys ATM but if the right gal came along that would be fine too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrodman101 View Post
I am bi, always have been. I am straight acting but not at the jock end of the spectrum, just a run of the mill office guy who doesn't stand out in the crowd for any reason. I go through stages where I swing (ha!) more gay or more straight. Going through a gay stage ATM. I think everyone is probably bi, but cultural pressure is strong as is the obligation some people feel to their partners to be monogamous whether straight or gay ie some people don't go looking for alternative fucks. I have had longer term relationships (up to a year) with men and women, and I feel attracted to men and women all the time. Sometimes it's opportunity that pushes me one way or another. I am looking at guys ATM but if the right gal came along that would be fine too.
Ericrodman101- Thatís interesting analogy. While some men/women are willing to recognize that their sexual behaviours might qualify their being called bisexual, they may privately identify with that ďlabelĒ they feel that there is no contradiction between holding a private awareness of being bisexual and a public persona as straight or heterosexual. Again, this conclusion is strengthened by a lack of social incentives to accept bisexual identities.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
ericrodman101
Literotica Guru
 
ericrodman101's Avatar
 
ericrodman101 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidude9 View Post
Ericrodman101- Thatís interesting analogy. While some men/women are willing to recognize that their sexual behaviours might qualify their being called bisexual, they may privately identify with that ďlabelĒ they feel that there is no contradiction between holding a private awareness of being bisexual and a public persona as straight or heterosexual. Again, this conclusion is strengthened by a lack of social incentives to accept bisexual identities.
To explain, I don't identify at all. If I had to tick a box I would tick bi. That is simply the objective description. In my post I called my persona straight acting. By that I don't mean I try to be straighter than I am. It means I don't stand out. I'm not even sure what bi acting means. And some people who act extremely straight, are as gay as it comes. This is often a concerted attempt not only to hide their sexuality but repress and defeat it, sometimes because they are afraid and sometimes because they have to to get by in a misapprehending world. Like many people I was raised to be scared of sexuality, indeed ashamed, not because my upbringing was evil, but it conformed like most people's did, to social norms - wife, kids, mortgage, career, keep your head down, retirement, heaven or hell, don't rock the boat. You don't have to look very far to see a world of alternatives to this course. The great thing about living in the west in the twenty first century is that thinking people have thrown off the need for labels, and we have the economic capacity and the social liberality to live the way we want so long as we don't hurt others. I only wish everyone in the world was as free as we are to pursue self fulfilment.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #19
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrodman101 View Post
To explain, I don't identify at all. If I had to tick a box I would tick bi. That is simply the objective description. In my post I called my persona straight acting. By that I don't mean I try to be straighter than I am. It means I don't stand out. I'm not even sure what bi acting means. And some people who act extremely straight, are as gay as it comes. This is often a concerted attempt not only to hide their sexuality but repress and defeat it, sometimes because they are afraid and sometimes because they have to to get by in a misapprehending world. Like many people I was raised to be scared of sexuality, indeed ashamed, not because my upbringing was evil, but it conformed like most people's did, to social norms - wife, kids, mortgage, career, keep your head down, retirement, heaven or hell, don't rock the boat. You don't have to look very far to see a world of alternatives to this course. The great thing about living in the west in the twenty first century is that thinking people have thrown off the need for labels, and we have the economic capacity and the social liberality to live the way we want so long as we don't hurt others. I only wish everyone in the world was as free as we are to pursue self fulfilment.
Well stated man, I couldnít agree with you anymore.. I identify as Bi, because thatís what society whatís me to do, and for the simple understanding for those who donít have the knowledge I state Bi. But itís pretty common with even ďstraight menĒ living ďstraight lives having sex with gay guys
All because society doesnít except them.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Men interpret that they are exclusively or primarily attracted to women, and many also conclude that they have no sexual attraction to men in spite of their desire to have sex with men. They define sexual attraction as a combination of physical and emotional attraction, and they assess that their interest in women includes both, while their interest in men is purely or mainly sexual, not romantic or emotional. Moreover, some perceive that they are not drawn toward male bodies in the same way as they are drawn to female bodies, and some observe that the only physical part of a man that interests them is his penis. Men in the latter group do not find men handsome or attractive, but they do find penises attractive, and they thus see penises as Ďliving dildosí or, in other words, disembodied objects of desire that provide a source of sexual pleasure. Finally, as a management strategy for judging that their sexual interest in women is greater and more intense than their interest in men, they sometimes limit their repertoires of same-sex sexual practices or interpret them as less important than their sexual practices with women. That way, they can tell themselves that their sexual interest in women is unbounded, while their sexual interest in men is not. What are your thoughts on this?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
load69
Really Really Experienced
 
load69 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 492
I am bicurious....I would love to get a hard cock in my mouth and ass as well as bury my tongue in a hot tight ass. I am willing to share my cock any way a guy wants. Once I finally do find that cock, I will be thrilled to call myself bi.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #22
Bidude9
Virgin
 
Bidude9 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
All this contributes to their sense that they qualify as being called straight or heterosexual, even when some also recognize that their sexualities do indeed differ from exclusive heterosexuality, which in turn leads them to adopt secondary descriptors of their sexual identities. As indicated by the variety of terms that they used, those descriptors often reinforce a perception that, as a sexual orientation category, heterosexuality is elastic instead of rigid ó that some degree of samesex desire and behaviour need not automatically push an individual out of the heterosexual category. And while some men are willing to recognize that their sexual behaviours might qualify their being called bisexual ó and they may privately identify with that label ó they feel that there is no contradiction between holding a private awareness of being bisexual and a public persona as straight or heterosexual. Again, this conclusion is strengthened by a lack of social incentives to adopt bisexual identities.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
UnderMyKilt
Literotica Guru
 
UnderMyKilt's Avatar
 
UnderMyKilt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidude9 View Post
They interpret that they are exclusively or primarily attracted to women, and many also conclude that they have no sexual attraction to men in spite of their desire to have sex with men. They define sexual attraction as a combination of physical and emotional attraction, and they assess that their interest in women includes both, while their interest in men is purely or mainly sexual, not romantic or emotional. Moreover, some perceive that they are not drawn toward male bodies in the same way as they are drawn to female bodies, and some observe that the only physical part of a man that interests them is his penis. Men in the latter group do not find men handsome or attractive, but they do find penises attractive, and they thus see penises as Ďliving dildosí or, in other words, disembodied objects of desire that provide a source of sexual pleasure. Finally, as a management strategy for judging that their sexual interest in women is greater and more intense than their interest in men, they sometimes limit their repertoires of same-sex sexual practices or interpret them as less important than their sexual practices with women. That way, they can tell themselves that their sexual interest in women is unbounded, while their sexual interest in men is not. What are your thoughts on this?
Hmmm. Interesting, but where's the credit to the original article and study by Carrillo and Hoffman from which most of this commentary, and further discussion and "opinion" is taken...verbatim?

The Cut, "How Straight Men Who Have Sex With Men Explain Their Encounters" February 18, 2018. https://www.thecut.com/2017/02/how-s...ncounters.html
__________________
"Pleasure is the blossoming of your desires. Your body knows its heritage and its rightful need and will not be deceived." - Kahlil Gibran

True stories of my youthful follies.

What can I say? After all these years, and a diverse variety of sexual experiences, kinks, and fetishes, I'm still trying to figure out this "nature vs nurture" thing.

In any event, I yam what I yam and dat's all what I yam .

Last edited by UnderMyKilt : 04-01-2018 at 01:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
yukonnights
Literotica Guru
 
yukonnights's Avatar
 
yukonnights is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: alaska
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderMyKilt View Post
Hmmm. So where's the credit to the original article and study by Carrillo and Hoffman from which most of this commentary, and further discussion and "opinion" is taken?

The Cut, "How Straight Men Who Have Sex With Men Explain Their Encounters" February 18, 2018. https://www.thecut.com/2017/02/how-s...ncounters.html
Thanks I thought it sounded a little pretentious and scripted for an informal Lit thread
__________________
My LGBT Stories:
https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #25
HeywoodJablome2
Virgin
 
HeywoodJablome2 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by load69 View Post
I am bicurious....I would love to get a hard cock in my mouth and ass as well as bury my tongue in a hot tight ass. I am willing to share my cock any way a guy wants. Once I finally do find that cock, I will be thrilled to call myself bi.
This describes me as well.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.