Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > General Board

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
BobDownSouth
Uplifting

Thumbs up New Stephen King time-travel book due out November 1st

Stephen King's publisher said today that he will have a 1000+ page time travel book, tentatively entitled "11/22/1963" in bookstores on November 1st.

The story will be about a guy who travels in time back to the late 1950s and has his life intertwined with Lee Harvey Oswald.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
SleepingWarrior
Egocentric Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDownSouth View Post
Stephen King's publisher said today that he will have a 1000+ page time travel book, tentatively entitled "11/22/1963" in bookstores on November 1st.

The story will be about a guy who travels in time back to the late 1950s and has his life intertwined with Lee Harvey Oswald.
Interesting concept. Just hope it doesn't blow like Under The Dome did. Usually I tear through King's books but that one was tedious.

The actions determine when one becomes a man. My inaction means I have not become a man yet.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
KRCummings
Uh...

He's usually good when he takes his time telling a story. I've liked all his long books. On the other hand he's not what he used to be.

"Attempted murder, I ask you, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?"
-Sideshow Bob

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change"

"An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site"

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Autism Speaks. Are you listening?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Killswitch
Still pissed at Yoko

1000 pages?

Sometimes King doesn't know when to shut up.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
KRCummings
Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
1000 pages?

Sometimes King doesn't know when to shut up.
The Stand is a modern classic and the uncut version is about 1500 pages.
It is widely considered to be one of the great horror novels and is around 1200 pages.

"Attempted murder, I ask you, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?"
-Sideshow Bob

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change"

"An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site"

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Killswitch
Still pissed at Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRCummings View Post
It is widely considered to be one of the great horror novels and is around 1200 pages.
Yeah I suppose.

Kings just fucking weird.

I don't even think he's human.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
KRCummings
Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Yeah I suppose.

Kings just fucking weird.

I don't even think he's human.
Most writers are weird. It's comes with the territory. Horror writers are probably the most normal though.

-Sideshow Bob

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
SleepingWarrior
Egocentric Sociopath

Quote:
He's usually good when he takes his time telling a story. I've liked all his long books. On the other hand he's not what he used to be.
Even Under the Dome? He could have easily cut 250-300 pages off that bore to speed the story along.

The actions determine when one becomes a man. My inaction means I have not become a man yet.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
SleepingWarrior
Egocentric Sociopath

Quote:
If they ever get The Gunslinger movie and series off the ground and up and running maybe that series will be able to finally take its rightful spot as his best work alongside The Stand.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
KRCummings
Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingWarrior View Post
Even Under the Dome? He could have easily cut 250-300 pages off that bore to speed the story along.
I liked Under the Dome.

-Sideshow Bob

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Songcatcher
Stud Muffin

Will George Bush Snr be in it?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
KRCummings
Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingWarrior View Post
If they ever get The Gunslinger movie and series off the ground and up and running maybe that series will be able to finally take its rightful spot as his best work alongside The Stand.
It definitely needs more exposure. As it is it's mostly just King fans that know the series. Anyone who's read the series though already has it ranked among his best work. Except for a couple books in the middle of course. Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass weren't very good.

-Sideshow Bob

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
SleepingWarrior
Egocentric Sociopath

Quote:
It definitely needs more exposure. As it is it's mostly just King fans that know the series. Anyone who's read the series though already has it ranked among his best work. Except for a couple books in the middle of course. Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass weren't very good.
Wizard and Glass was ho-hum for sure but I suppose it was a necessary evil since Roland was severely lacking in a comprehensive backstory. Though I wish King would have went more with Roland's 1st ka-tet's fighting against the Good Man (Like a complete telling of the lead up to the Battle of Jericho Hill) instead of the love story with a scant look back into what started Roland's quest for the Tower.

I have high hopes it'll get its due with Ron Howard at the help and seemingly serious about getting this work put to film

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #14
Debbie
Persnickety slattern

Location: New Zealand. Aotearoa - Land of the Long White Cloud.
Quote:
I totally agree - that he's not writing like he used to.

Thanks for the heads up, RobDownSouth.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/11-22-63/announcement/

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
BobDownSouth
Uplifting

J.J. Abrams options Stephen King's 11/22/63 to develop as a TV series

This would be awesome.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
rosco rathbone
the immaterial being

I got interested in that era reading Nixonland but I haven't had time to follow up on it. A lot of today's skullduggery seems to have begun there.

i hate you gringo sex perverts. you scums are not welcome in our country

Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
kotori
Fool of Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco rathbone View Post
I got interested in that era reading Nixonland but I haven't had time to follow up on it. A lot of today's skullduggery seems to have begun there.
I got interested in that era living through it.
"Öthe secret of the Great Stories is they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They donít deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They donít surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your loverís skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as though you donít. In the way that although you know that one day you will die, you live as though you wonít. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesnít. And yet you want to know again."
óArundhati Roy, The God of Small Things, (1997)

Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
BobDownSouth
Uplifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco rathbone View Post
Nixonland was a fascinating book. The degree of "controlling the message" exercised by Haldeman and the Nixon gang in the pre-Internet era was nothing short of amazing.

No detail was too small...I mean, making sure if that if there was an elephant at a Nixon rally, it had to have had an enema one day previously?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Fata Morgana
Deckel Edged

This was the best book I read last year. I hope whatever they do, they do it justice.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
butters
Harry's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Fata Morgana~ View Post
This was the best book I read last year. I hope whatever they do, they do it justice.
they've really ruined some of his books in the process, though Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption worked well imo - maybe because i saw the films before reading the books

What strange machinery lies between her ears
HarryHill

'tender hearted...