Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
LaRascasse
I dream, therefore I am
 
LaRascasse's Avatar
 
LaRascasse is online now
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: World of Midnight and Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,161
Gimme your thoughts

Just dropped in to get your input on this new idea pricking at me.

I wanted to explore the idea of an erotic story where the main character is a virgin and doesn't have sex throughout the story.

This story is about a guy, 18 years old, barely out of high school. He is a nice, kind guy with an innocuous, bordering on precocious, face. He is a virgin and has no intention of changing that soon. His family is entirely different. His father is the founder and CEO of a huge BDSM based social network (a fictional version of Fetlife). His mother is owns a large company which makes all sorts of erotic devices (from sex toys to BDSM implements) in addition to being the owner of a chain of bondage themed clubs all over New York. His elder sister is an acclaimed erotic author (think EL James but actually good). And then there is poor innocent him, the odd one out. Ditto for most of their family friends. Everyone in his life is brazenly open about sex and unabashedly kinky. The story is a light hearted take on how he exists in the middle of this cornucopia of forbidden pleasures and keeps his sanity and virginity intact.

I wanted to try a funny role reversal. Usually the kinky ones are the odd ones out and the black sheeps in the family. Here, the fact that he is not kinky is what separates him in his world.
__________________
My stories in case you are interested. Offbeat, unconventional and just a bit dark. Just a bit, I swear


In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,815
Think it can be done. I've done similar things, sort of the Forest Gump approach. I have one e-book out that I really like where the central character is a bit dim, but in a lovable way, and remains essentially mentally pure to sex, while all those around him can't keep their hands off him. In that case the book is full of sex, but he's just taking it naturally like they are friends and they are just brushing their teeth together.

Someone walking through life as a virgin, oblivious to all of the sex going on around them would seem to be a good premise to work from.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
MatthewVett
Jahansuz
 
MatthewVett is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRascasse View Post
Just dropped in to get your input on this new idea pricking at me.

I wanted to explore the idea of an erotic story where the main character is a virgin and doesn't have sex throughout the story.

This story is about a guy, 18 years old, barely out of high school. He is a nice, kind guy with an innocuous, bordering on precocious, face. He is a virgin and has no intention of changing that soon. His family is entirely different. His father is the founder and CEO of a huge BDSM based social network (a fictional version of Fetlife). His mother is owns a large company which makes all sorts of erotic devices (from sex toys to BDSM implements) in addition to being the owner of a chain of bondage themed clubs all over New York. His elder sister is an acclaimed erotic author (think EL James but actually good). And then there is poor innocent him, the odd one out. Ditto for most of their family friends. Everyone in his life is brazenly open about sex and unabashedly kinky. The story is a light hearted take on how he exists in the middle of this cornucopia of forbidden pleasures and keeps his sanity and virginity intact.

I wanted to try a funny role reversal. Usually the kinky ones are the odd ones out and the black sheeps in the family. Here, the fact that he is not kinky is what separates him in his world.
I like it. Does he just passively avoid it, or does he need to actively dissuade others from trying to deflower him? Does he want to be a virgin, or is he just disinterested?
__________________
My Stories
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
 
Stella_Omega's Avatar
 
Stella_Omega is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shaken, not stirred
Posts: 38,941
A bit like "Candide" perhaps

Remember there's a difference between being innocent and being a virgin.... Your guy sounds like he's an 'Ace'-- asexual. He would have to be aware of that, or become aware of it in the course of the story, if he wants to keep, as you say, his sanity intact...

But however you play it, I think it could be an excellent story.
__________________
"Oh woe, these be perilous times! Children no longer obey their elders, and everybody is writing a book!"
--Pliny the Elder, AD76

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
hoo_hoo_boo
Really Really Experienced
 
hoo_hoo_boo is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRascasse View Post
Just dropped in to get your input on this new idea pricking at me.

I wanted to explore the idea of an erotic story where the main character is a virgin and doesn't have sex throughout the story.

This story is about a guy, 18 years old, barely out of high school. He is a nice, kind guy with an innocuous, bordering on precocious, face. He is a virgin and has no intention of changing that soon. His family is entirely different. His father is the founder and CEO of a huge BDSM based social network (a fictional version of Fetlife). His mother is owns a large company which makes all sorts of erotic devices (from sex toys to BDSM implements) in addition to being the owner of a chain of bondage themed clubs all over New York. His elder sister is an acclaimed erotic author (think EL James but actually good). And then there is poor innocent him, the odd one out. Ditto for most of their family friends. Everyone in his life is brazenly open about sex and unabashedly kinky. The story is a light hearted take on how he exists in the middle of this cornucopia of forbidden pleasures and keeps his sanity and virginity intact.

I wanted to try a funny role reversal. Usually the kinky ones are the odd ones out and the black sheeps in the family. Here, the fact that he is not kinky is what separates him in his world.

I think the family aspect of it detracts from the story and provides the story with a competing idea. I've known situations like this in work places. To me it's a lot more plausible and, I think, more effective if you focus on the one idea. I suspect it would be more easily written if there were only two others. Too many and the story will bog its self in explanation and will take too long to get into the point of the story.
Perhaps you have ideas that are well removed from my imaginings. Hope you do it well.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
LaRascasse
I dream, therefore I am
 
LaRascasse's Avatar
 
LaRascasse is online now
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: World of Midnight and Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_Omega View Post
A bit like "Candide" perhaps

Remember there's a difference between being innocent and being a virgin.... Your guy sounds like he's an 'Ace'-- asexual. He would have to be aware of that, or become aware of it in the course of the story, if he wants to keep, as you say, his sanity intact...

But however you play it, I think it could be an excellent story.
You're right in that this guy is a very informed virgin, but a virgin nevertheless. He is the odd one out in a crowd of kinky. Everyone in his world loves him - friends, family etc. There are also those who want him sexually, but all kinky. Maybe there could be a part where any "normal" friends of his are scared away.
__________________
My stories in case you are interested. Offbeat, unconventional and just a bit dark. Just a bit, I swear


In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,871
I think my first question is: does he want to have sex?

I'm unsure about the premise, but I think it's always worth trying new ideas, and this does sound like it has potential. But I do think you'd have to answer the question of does he want to have sex. Is it yes, but on his own terms and not feeling like he's being pressured by his family? Is it no out of spite? Is it no, because he's asexual, as Stella suggested?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru
 
Handley_Page's Avatar
 
Handley_Page is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 31,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
I think my first question is: does he want to have sex?

I'm unsure about the premise, but I think it's always worth trying new ideas, and this does sound like it has potential. But I do think you'd have to answer the question of does he want to have sex.
Is it yes, but on his own terms and not feeling like he's being pressured by his family? Is it no out of spite? Is it no, because he's asexual, as Stella suggested?
The opportunity for some serious humour is vast.
Please go for it. You could have the world in hysterical laughter.
__________________
.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
I think my first question is: does he want to have sex?

I'm unsure about the premise, but I think it's always worth trying new ideas, and this does sound like it has potential. But I do think you'd have to answer the question of does he want to have sex. Is it yes, but on his own terms and not feeling like he's being pressured by his family? Is it no out of spite? Is it no, because he's asexual, as Stella suggested?
I don't see why it would matter whether he wanted sex or not. I could see both an amusing and erotic story written of him as a foil, wandering through a hotbed of sex going on all around him, and not, physically being touched by it. Again, the "was there/everywhere yet not there" feel of Forest Gump.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I don't see why it would matter whether he wanted sex or not. I could see both an amusing and erotic story written of him as a foil, wandering through a hotbed of sex going on all around him, and not, physically being touched by it. Again, the "was there/everywhere yet not there" feel of Forest Gump.
I'm not sure it matters, it was just one of the first, if not the first, question that came to mind for me. LaRascasse asked for thoughts on the story. That was mine.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Tyro999
Really Really Experienced
 
Tyro999 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 331
Go for it, LaRascasse, and be sure to post a link here when it has appeared. Great story concept.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,109
Sounds like a fish out of water story...and those can be hysterically witty stories. One of my favorite TV shows was Northern Exposure. The main character, Joel, was a foil character for all of the wacky people surrounding him.

I think Stella has made an excellent point about Candide and the concept of innocence vs. ignorance. The poet William Blake believed that ignorance was not synonymous with innocence. Innocence was a state that had to be achieved with the full awareness of the darkness in human nature.

Your story idea reminds of me of bawdy English novels like Tom Jones, which examined social hypocrisy and sexual excesses.

Since sex is no longer mysterious to most young people (I think a recent statistic stated that 8 out 10 boys had porn apps on their phones), so creating a character that was looking for an emotional connection along with a physical one could be an interesting concept to explore.

There is an old Bob Welch song called “Sentimental Lady” that could express your theme: “'Cause we live in a time/ When paintings have no color, words don't rhyme.”

I think your main character may be a romantic living among unromantic people.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
LaRascasse
I dream, therefore I am
 
LaRascasse's Avatar
 
LaRascasse is online now
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: World of Midnight and Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
I think my first question is: does he want to have sex?

I'm unsure about the premise, but I think it's always worth trying new ideas, and this does sound like it has potential. But I do think you'd have to answer the question of does he want to have sex. Is it yes, but on his own terms and not feeling like he's being pressured by his family? Is it no out of spite? Is it no, because he's asexual, as Stella suggested?
He's not biologically asexual, it is just that he, for some reason, is not as flagrant about sex like everyone around him. He wants to meet a nice girl, fall in love and start a relationship, maybe eventually leading to sex.

As for his family - his parents treat him like a kid, while his sister oscillates from believing he is far inside the closet and setting him up with her friends (mostly with funny results). The friends he attracts end up being all overtly sexual so he keeps to himself. At heart, he is mostly introverted.

Do I have to explicitly give a reason for his behaviour? Something like he was molested in the past, or can I leave it at - it is just the way he is?
__________________
My stories in case you are interested. Offbeat, unconventional and just a bit dark. Just a bit, I swear


In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
soflabbwlvr
Prescription Strength
 
soflabbwlvr's Avatar
 
soflabbwlvr is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twenty minutes away
Posts: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRascasse View Post
He's not biologically asexual, it is just that he, for some reason, is not as flagrant about sex like everyone around him. He wants to meet a nice girl, fall in love and start a relationship, maybe eventually leading to sex.

As for his family - his parents treat him like a kid, while his sister oscillates from believing he is far inside the closet and setting him up with her friends (mostly with funny results). The friends he attracts end up being all overtly sexual so he keeps to himself. At heart, he is mostly introverted.

Do I have to explicitly give a reason for his behaviour? Something like he was molested in the past, or can I leave it at - it is just the way he is?
You do need a reason, but it doesn't have to be dark. It could just be his values--that he equates love with sex and is not interested in one without the other.

I think for the story to work as erotica, however, there does need to be some sex going on around him. Not just him getting out of sexual situations, but some actual sex.

It's a clever premise, and one that lends itself particularly well to humor. Good luck pulling it off.
__________________
Too much is still not enough

Deep Undercover

Pussy Rules
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,815
I'm thinking "just go ahead and write it" rather than discussing it to death--mushing it around this much with what other people think without knowing much about it is likely to result in mush.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby
 
TE999's Avatar
 
TE999 is online now
Join Date: May 2006
Location: www.blindate.com
Posts: 30,055
Your character could be both innocent and idealistic. He believes in finding 'the One True Love', courtship, a slow build up in the relationship, that sort of thing. He's bemused by all the sex going on around him, but not unduly bothered by it. It's just not his way.

He's wandering innocently among all the sex and perversions going on around him and shrugs off all attempts to seduce him. Hilarity ensues.
__________________
I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRascasse View Post
Do I have to explicitly give a reason for his behaviour? Something like he was molested in the past, or can I leave it at - it is just the way he is?
I think, like sofla says, a reason would be good but it certainly doesn't have to be a result of abuse or anything. Plenty of people shy away from things others in their family do and not because of dark reasons.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
 
Stella_Omega's Avatar
 
Stella_Omega is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shaken, not stirred
Posts: 38,941
There is zero need for him to have been molested in the past. How he is is perfectly normal.

There doesn't need to be any particular reason, in fact-- simply watching the shenanigans going on around him might have made him decide to be this way. He doesn't see that anyone is any happier one way or the other, and this is what's comfortable for him.
__________________
"Oh woe, these be perilous times! Children no longer obey their elders, and everybody is writing a book!"
--Pliny the Elder, AD76

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!

Last edited by Stella_Omega : 04-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
LaRascasse
I dream, therefore I am
 
LaRascasse's Avatar
 
LaRascasse is online now
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: World of Midnight and Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,161
Progress report

Okay so I have written most of what I envisioned as part of chapter 1. There are two main scenes here, one is a breakfast where I introduce his dynamic with his parents and his sister and then there is a social event turned orgy in the evening where he has a near miss on walking in on his parents swinging with their friends.

The one thing which I wrote, but had not initially thought about, is how he feels. While writing it, I thought about putting a bit of resentment against his family's hedonism in him because of how he is treated because of it in school (the nice girls he wants to date stay far away from him because of his family name). There are a couple of instances in the dialogue where he is snarky with his parents.

As it stands, he is slightly bitter, but much more exasperated with his family's lifestyle. How's that?
__________________
My stories in case you are interested. Offbeat, unconventional and just a bit dark. Just a bit, I swear


In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.