Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
PayDay
unlabelable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetWitch View Post
My understanding is (and there's no research in this, just what I remember from living on the farm) that ammonium nitrate is essentially only volatile in liquid form. When you throw water on it you get a discharge of dangerous gas and a huge kaboom. My concern is whether the volunteer firemen were given the proper training to deal with the incident in Texas. Without proper education, disaster can happen. I feel for them and I believe lessons can be learned here.
Agreed. I would have faith in fire officials to not want to run into any situation unprepared
+They should get the big thanks here(os).

But what I am reiterating is that adding water to fertilizer and/with a high ammonium nitrate concentration is not enough, not to mention temperature variations.

There are many things needed to make the combination explosive, THAT explosive doesn't just happen naturally:
Asin: Not a volcano.

There is something suspicious in this bang

"Ammonium nitrate is used in survival kits mixed with zinc dust and ammonium chloride because it will ignite on contact with water."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...monium_nitrate

I dunno nada about bombs, but my chemistry grades were awesome. There are too many missing ingredients for a reaction of that magnitude.
"Audacity is a virtue that should always be practiced with caution." -Walter Slovatsky
"When dealing with the Law of Averages, it's best to be a habitual offender."

Last edited by PayDay : 12-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
SweetWitch
Green Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
Agreed. I would have faith in Fire officials to not want to run into any situation unprepared
+They should get the big thanks here(os).

But what I am reiterating is that adding water to fertilizer and/with a high ammonium nitrate concentration is not enough, not to me tion temperature variations.

There are many things needed tonmake the combination explosive, THAT explosive doesn't just happen naturally:
Asin: Not a volcano.
==There is something suspicious in this bang

"Ammonium nitrate is used in survival kits mixed with*zinc*dust and ammonium chloride because it will ignite on contact with water."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...monium_nitrate

I dunno nada about bombs, but my chemistry grades were awesome. There are too many missing ingredients for a reaction of that magnitude.
I'm not jumping to conclusions here. There's nothing cut and dry about this one, so I'll wait for the investigation. We're all pretty raw after Boston. It's easy to get caught up in it.

Out now, on eXcessica and in print on Amazon: Shelter From The Storm and Spell of Appalachia.

~~~~

SweetWitch is my best friend in all of LitDom, notwithstanding our CURRENT FEUD, and she can post in any thread of mine any time the mood strikes her.
~Marsh Alien
Welcome to a world of unbridled sensuality, where the only restrictions are from insufficient imagination. A world of fantastic sexual delights and overwhelming passions.
You're about to enter--The Naked Party Zone.
~TE999

Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
PayDay
unlabelable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetWitch View Post
I'm not jumping to conclusions here. There's nothing cut and dry about this one, so I'll wait for the investigation. We're all pretty raw after Boston. It's easy to get caught up in it.
me neither
"Audacity is a virtue that should always be practiced with caution." -Walter Slovatsky

Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #29
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

The problem at a fertilizer plant s the same one they have at grain silos. Grain doesn't explode but the dust does. Ultra fine dust is highly explosive if mixed with enough oxygen. The slightest spark can set it off.

That is what happened in Texas City, back in the late 40's.

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
PayDay
unlabelable

Um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
The problem at a fertilizer plant s the same one they have at grain silos. Grain doesn't explode but the dust does. Ultra fine dust is highly explosive if mixed with enough oxygen. The slightest spark can set it off.

That is what happened in Texas City, back in the late 40's.
No mention of that ...

http://www.local1259iaff.org/disaster.html

In fact, from what I deciphered, all things point to ammunition there as well.

But no ammo on the ship?
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...-581-in-texas?

Last edited by PayDay : 12-05-2013 at 11:03 PM.