Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Iain (M) Banks

Sad news for Banks' friends and fans. I've only read "The Wasp Factory" so far but from all accounts, Banks is a lovely guy.

http://www.iain-banks.net/

Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

What a beautifully phrased message. He does seem like a lovely man.

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
steve44uk
Baleful

I was gutted when I heard this yesterday. He has written some of my all-time favourite books - I highly commend The Crow Road (best opening line ever: "It was the day my grandmother exploded.") or Consider Phlebas, the book that turned SF on its head for me.

I've had the good fortune to meet Iain several times (have I mentioned I love my job?), and can honestly say he's one of the few authors I respect and admire who hasn't been a disappointment when I met them. Whip-smart, witty, profane, generous - a genuine good guy.

Go. Buy his books. From your local bookstore, not Amazon.

That way you'll be doing three good turns: for his partner, your hard-working local bookseller and yourself.

My AH Directory entry.

Dianthus: "You're incorrigible. I like that in a friend..."

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve44uk View Post
I was gutted when I heard this yesterday. He has written some of my all-time favourite books - I highly commend The Crow Road (best opening line ever: "It was the day my grandmother exploded.") or Consider Phlebas, the book that turned SF on its head for me.
I've heard good things about those, too. Is Consider Phlebas a good place to start on the Culture?

I was given 'The Wasp Factory' by a trans man friend. He had been given it by somebody who just told him "I think you'll find this interesting" without any further explanation... um, yeah. Interesting book but not for everybody!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
steve44uk
Baleful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
I've heard good things about those, too. Is Consider Phlebas a good place to start on the Culture?

I was given 'The Wasp Factory' by a trans man friend. He had been given it by somebody who just told him "I think you'll find this interesting" without any further explanation... um, yeah. Interesting book but not for everybody!
Consider Phlebas is as good a place to start. They all pretty much stand alone.

And yeah, The Wasps Factory's strong meat, but that's true of many if his mainstream novels. Complicity especially...

My AH Directory entry.

Dianthus: "You're incorrigible. I like that in a friend..."

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Laurel
Kitty Mama

Very sad news. Read and enjoyed The Wasp Factory when I was younger. Made a deep impression. Wonderful writer.