Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Writers Block & Hypnosis

I learned hypnosis back in 1985. When I got started I thought it would be a challenge to learn. It isnt. Its about the easiest thing I know to do, and no harder to master than slow dancing. The challenge comes with oppositional/defiant subjects who resist change with all their heart and mind.

Anyway, I use hypnosis for all kinds of tasks, including writers block. I used it last night when I was stumped in the middle of writing a tale about a homeless wretch who was sleeping in her car. So I slept on it.

SLEPT ON IT means I tossed the problem to The Wizard Behind the Curtain and let him deal with it while I dreamed of wanton wicked women. And this morning the rest of the story popped into my noodle like toast pops up from the toaster. Thats it, thats all there is to hypnosis.

That said, dont bet the farm on getting OVERNITE DELIVERY SERVICE. A good result can take years if the task is complex. But 95% of the time I get results within the same day.

The drama associated with hypnosis is unnecessary, mostly what youre after is quiet time without distractions and interruptions, so your brain can focus on the task rather than everything else. And natural sleep is the optimal time for tuning the world out.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
JonB1969
Really Experienced
 
JonB1969 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: First star on the right, straight on till morning.
Posts: 194
Cool

Dude I would try meditation recordings, seriously.

There's this excellent website called www.theguidedmeditationsite.com and they have all sorts of meditation recordings that are reasonably priced.

A particularly useful one is full of nothing but meditation bells that I use to focus on my writing and stay in the moment.

Hope this helps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
I learned hypnosis back in 1985. When I got started I thought it would be a challenge to learn. It isnt. Its about the easiest thing I know to do, and no harder to master than slow dancing. The challenge comes with oppositional/defiant subjects who resist change with all their heart and mind.

Anyway, I use hypnosis for all kinds of tasks, including writers block. I used it last night when I was stumped in the middle of writing a tale about a homeless wretch who was sleeping in her car. So I slept on it.

SLEPT ON IT means I tossed the problem to The Wizard Behind the Curtain and let him deal with it while I dreamed of wanton wicked women. And this morning the rest of the story popped into my noodle like toast pops up from the toaster. Thats it, thats all there is to hypnosis.

That said, dont bet the farm on getting OVERNITE DELIVERY SERVICE. A good result can take years if the task is complex. But 95% of the time I get results within the same day.

The drama associated with hypnosis is unnecessary, mostly what youre after is quiet time without distractions and interruptions, so your brain can focus on the task rather than everything else. And natural sleep is the optimal time for tuning the world out.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB1969 View Post
Dude I would try meditation recordings, seriously.

There's this excellent website called www.theguidedmeditationsite.com and they have all sorts of meditation recordings that are reasonably priced.

A particularly useful one is full of nothing but meditation bells that I use to focus on my writing and stay in the moment.

Hope this helps.
My way works fine.

Meditation is a distraction eliminator, kinda like white noise.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
MattblackUK
Experienced
 
MattblackUK is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 41
I find that writer's block vanishes if

I have 20 minutes to write a 500 word news article!
__________________
My stories are here http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
i_would
Really Experienced
 
i_would is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattblackUK View Post
I have 20 minutes to write a 500 word news article!
Then what you doing here? Time to get to work, no?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 20,445
I dabbled in the occult a little too much when I was younger to go for this.

The last thing I will ever do is leave my mind wide open through either hypnosis or even meditation. You never know what's out there looking for an opening.
__________________
Something "real men" should know.

The queen is the most powerful piece in the game of chess and frequently has to protect the rather weak king.

Just like in real life.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,787
That's not hypnosis. That's simply letting the problem simmer in the back burner while you get on with things, including sleeping, and letting the solution percolate and rise to the top. It does work, but it ain't hypnosis.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
That's not hypnosis. That's simply letting the problem simmer in the back burner while you get on with things, including sleeping, and letting the solution percolate and rise to the top. It does work, but it ain't hypnosis.
Its hypnosis.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 20,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
That's not hypnosis. That's simply letting the problem simmer in the back burner while you get on with things, including sleeping, and letting the solution percolate and rise to the top. It does work, but it ain't hypnosis.
My best time for ideas is when I first wake up in the morning. I usually beat the alrm by about twenty minutes and as I lay there in that still partially asleep state I get great visuals for my stories.

The mind is fertile at that point and also very relaxed because the day has not "hit" you yet. You're not thinking about work, or the significant other or bills, you're just cruising.
__________________
Something "real men" should know.

The queen is the most powerful piece in the game of chess and frequently has to protect the rather weak king.

Just like in real life.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,787
Describe your process and maybe. Otherwise, your just letting it simmer.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
My best time for ideas is when I first wake up in the morning. I usually beat the alrm by about twenty minutes and as I lay there in that still partially asleep state I get great visuals for my stories.

The mind is fertile at that point and also very relaxed because the day has not "hit" you yet. You're not thinking about work, or the significant other or bills, you're just cruising.
You pretty much described the hypnotic state, minus the distractions and internal conflicts that get in the way of creativity.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
Describe your process and maybe. Otherwise, your just letting it simmer.
JOMAR the process is simple. Clear away all the distractions and internal conflicts so that your mind can sort thru all your experiences and knowledge, and create a solution to your problem.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
JOMAR the process is simple. Clear away all the distractions and internal conflicts so that your mind can sort thru all your experiences and knowledge, and create a solution to your problem.
This contradicts your op, where you dreamed of wanton wicked women. You seem to be equating sleep with hypnosis. A natural rather than induced state.

But yeah, I think letting the the problem sort itself out without actively thinking on it definitely works...done it myself.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
This contradicts your op, where you dreamed of wanton wicked women. You seem to be equating sleep with hypnosis. A natural rather than induced state.

But yeah, I think letting the the problem sort itself out without actively thinking on it definitely works...done it myself.
People think when they sleep and operate machinery when they dream.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BAD SIDE OF TOWN
Posts: 46,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
This contradicts your op, where you dreamed of wanton wicked women. You seem to be equating sleep with hypnosis. A natural rather than induced state.

But yeah, I think letting the the problem sort itself out without actively thinking on it definitely works...done it myself.
Everyone does it. I laugh my ass off at all the BS stage hypnotists do.

Old Erickson told a tale on himself about his legendary gift for observation. He said that we miss so much of what goes on, and his example of it was a test of his skill against a competent pick pocket. Erickson never missed anything! But he says that he stood there watching the pick-pocket, and the guy kept handing him shit from his pockets...keys, wallet, pens, coins. He said he never saw the man move his hands, once.
__________________
Soft bigotry; its not what we like but its what we want.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.