Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > BDSM Talk

Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliajax View Post
Does anyone know for how long the Triskele has been a "universal" symbol of BDSM? Is it just since the "The Story of O"?

I recently got a tattoo of a triskele, but it obviously has much older meanings. In the Celtic tradition, as well as others. To me it is symbolic of the mother goddess -- it's a moon symbol. The three spirals represent the three phases of the moon, waxing, full and waning, which in turn symbolize the maiden, mother and crone.

I find it interesting that this symbol that spoke so strongly to me is also the symbol submissives wear, at least in a book. Since I lean that way myself.

Intriguing ...
Just since the book, as far as I know-- just an author's whim. Nothing more.

'O' isn't a Bible or anything, it's just a meagrely decent novel-- albeit with a ground-breaking theme.

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_Omega View Post
'O' isn't a Bible or anything, it's just a meagrely decent novel-- albeit with a ground-breaking theme.
A meagerly written novel received as water in the desert, the resonance of that receptions grants it an almost biblical status even still...

I don't know whether to be in awe or annoyed, but it's a fascinating social phenomena that the internet has not entirely quashed.

Look at twilight.

How long before that garbage is accepted as a legitimate part of "vampire mythology?" All because there wasn't quite enough bodice bleeder romances out there to suit the unknown demand, or mainstream enough to titillate those who did not yet know that fangs got them hot.

Last edited by Stag of Oberon : 02-11-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Quote:
Just since the book, as far as I know-- just an author's whim. Nothing more.

Oh, sure, I get that. I wonder what inspired the author to use that symbol? It does have many meanings in different cultures, and there are many different ways to depict the symbol.

And I think "meagrely decent" is an excellent way to describe that book! I thought it was ok, but read it a long time ago. Maybe I'll give it another look sometime.

Hmmm ... that gives me an idea of another thread I wanted to start!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
VegasBornWolf
Experienced

Discrete symbol

My pet wears a steel cable collar from Wyrd Slave with the owned slave symbol shown here: (http://www.wyredslave.com/ownershiptags.html)

Hope that helps.

VegasBornWolf

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #30
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag of Oberon View Post
A meagerly written novel received as water in the desert, the resonance of that receptions grants it an almost biblical status even still...

I don't know whether to be in awe or annoyed, but it's a fascinating social phenomena that the internet has not entirely quashed.

Look at twilight.

How long before that garbage is accepted as a legitimate part of "vampire mythology?" All because there wasn't quite enough bodice bleeder romances out there to suit the unknown demand, or mainstream enough to titillate those who did not yet know that fangs got them hot.
Absolutely. But Twilight probably will never be accepted as vampire canon-- only as Twilight canon. You forget how accessible the common discussion is. Any girl-child who googles "Vampire" will come across Angel and Spike fan fic-- and learn what a REAL vamp can do.

Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Quote:
Absolutely. But Twilight probably will never be accepted as vampire canon-- only as Twilight canon. You forget how accessible the common discussion is. Any girl-child who googles "Vampire" will come across Angel and Spike fan fic-- and learn what a REAL vamp can do.
Oh god, Stella, let that be true! Angel and Spike ... sigh.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
Oh god, Stella, let that be true! Angel and Spike ... sigh.
Angel, ick. Spike-- problem child that he is-- Role model.

Stella's stories on lit

Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Quote:
Angel, ick. Spike-- problem child that he is-- Role model.
Ok, how about Angel in Buffy season 1-2 and Angel season 1, and Spike any time at all? (except in flashbacks when he wears that horrendous wig. When they all wear the horrendous wigs.)

How about this: Darla or Dru?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #34
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

I'm a little more partial to Bram Stoker and White Wolf, Malkovich's Count Orlock in Shadow of the vampire... Anne Rice is ok I guess, Buffy not so much.

If someone had told me in advance that Firefly was directed by the same guy as Buffy... I might have missed out on some awesome sci-fi.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #35
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Quote:
I'm a little more partial to Bram Stoker and White Wolf, Malkovich's Count Orlock in Shadow of the vampire... Anne Rice is ok I guess, Buffy not so much.

If someone had told me in advance that Firefly was directed by the same guy as Buffy... I might have missed out on some awesome sci-fi.

Bram Stoker and White Wolf, sure. And Malkovich in Shadow of the vampire was BRILLIANT! I liked Anne Rice's vampires a lot when I was younger, until I just wanted to stake them all and put them out of their misery. I like her witches better.

But comparing Buffy is ... different. It's not really about vampires. I just love Joss Whedon's humor.

Firefly is one of my favorites of all time. I'm writing a screenplay (about vampires, incidentally) and whenever I get stuck, I imagine I'm writing an episode of Firefly. WWJD? What would Joss do???

Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

I suppose Vampire the Masquerade (white wolf) is a role playing game, so those vampires can be twisted just about any which way you like, with a great deal of variety between the "clans" no less, but the writers do go out of their way to create a particular modern gothic setting, and white wolf did include (somewhat clunky) game mechanics when it comes to encouraging/ governing the internal conflict that the wanted to portray.

There is a lot of contention in that community as to whether vampires desire or can even have sex.

heh... it's fiction. leave it up to the storyteller, but I prefer the pseudo-romantic vampire for whom blood IS sex.

back to the topic of symbols, there are a great many symbols (and paraphernalia to go with them) in the Vampire larping scene... there may or may not be one for "thrall."

Last edited by Stag of Oberon : 02-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #37
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
Ok, how about Angel in Buffy season 1-2 and Angel season 1, and Spike any time at all? (except in flashbacks when he wears that horrendous wig.When they all wear the horrendous wigs.)
You don't understaaand... I am totally partial to hyperactive little punksters, and not at all partial to brooding overbearing hunks.
Quote:
How about this: Darla or Dru?
oh, yessss.

Wait-- you mean I gotta choose?

oh, noooo...

Stella's stories on lit

Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #38
ameliajax
Really Experienced

back to the topic of symbols, there are a great many symbols (and paraphernalia to go with them) in the Vampire larping scene... there may or may not be one for "thrall."[/quote]

Thrall. I like that.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #39
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Quote:
You don't understaaand... I am totally partial to hyperactive little punksters, and not at all partial to brooding overbearing hunks.
oh, yessss.

Wait-- you mean I gotta choose?

oh, noooo...
Okaaaaay, I get it! I was just thinking that Angel was a lot hotter before he got all ... square. And whiny.

And what am I thinking? We're talking about Darla and Dru. Of course you don't have to choose.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #40
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

Quote:
Thrall. I like that.
ok i did a little searching and... actually i'm pretty disappointed. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places (i've never had 1337 internet searching skilz)...

So... that led me to go look into the actual books (yeah I'm a huge nerd; My library of out of print gaming books is embarrassingly large).

so as far as I can tell, their symbol for "thrall" is either the clan symbol of the vampire you're all hopeless over, or the generic gothic cross/ ankh thingy that is Vampire's generic symbol; encircled by a chain (in both cases).

Quote:
(ok fine the ankh/cross is the symbol for a greater sect called the camarilla... it's been a while, and most people here wouldn't get that or care) [/edit]
Armed with that knowledge i went looking for those thrall symbols specifically and STILL FOUND NOTHING....

sorry.

Last edited by Stag of Oberon : 02-12-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
Etoile

I like how this thread has gone in the direction of Firefly and V:tM.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

yeah sorry.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #43
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
Okaaaaay, I get it! I was just thinking that Angel was a lot hotter before he got all ... square. And whiny.

And what am I thinking? We're talking about Darla and Dru. Of course you don't have to choose.
I want them to fight over me. And then, kiss and make up-- all over me.

Stella's stories on lit

Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #44
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Quote:
I want them to fight over me. And then, kiss and make up-- all over me.
Yeah, me too. And I'm not even into girls!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #45
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
Yeah, me too. And I'm not even into girls!
You say that now, but we'll lead you down that garden path yet .

Hehe

Stag Of Oberon;"Anne Rice is ok I guess, Buffy not so much."
Really? Anne Rice is okay -- but Joss's vamps knock hers right out of the ballpark.

Of course I'm talking about the fan fiction, which has built on Joss's notions. Rice said "No Fanfic!" and people don't-- which means they don't talk much about her-- which leaves her presence-less on the interwebs.

I'm attempting what, the third hijack?

Stella's stories on lit

Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #46
ameliajax
Really Experienced

Stelllaaa! You're going to get us in trouble!!!

Back to the topic at hand ... I like the idea very much of wearing some sort of ... identification. Or some sign that I belonged to my Master. I actually got a tattoo ... which I later had to change, so I don't know if I recommend that. But that's maybe a story for another time. I should have told him to just get me a bracelet.

I also like the idea of bells. Here kitty! I read a book when I was young and impressionable called "Slave Girl of Tor" or something. I think there were bells. Very appealing ...

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #47
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

Quote:
I also like the idea of bells. Here kitty! I read a book when I was young and impressionable called "Slave Girl of Tor" or something. I think there were bells. Very appealing ...
"Tor" is a book publisher... would that be "Slave girls of Gor" perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Norman

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #48
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

Quote:
"Tor" is a book publisher... would that be "Slave girls of Gor" perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Norman
The most overtly smexy book of the whole series.

SO many women started talking about themselves and their partners in the third person... "This slave begs Master to let her suck his dick." After awhile, you start feeling embarrassed for them.

Stella's stories on lit

Last edited by Stella_Omega : 02-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #49
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:

SO many women started talking about themselves and their partners in the third person... "This slave begs Master to let her suck his dick." After awhile, you start feeling embarrassed for them.
Ever seen Houseplants Of Gor?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #50
Stag of Oberon
confabulous

Quote:

It takes you a while?

You heartless bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Ever seen Houseplants Of Gor?
Horribly funny.

ok maybe not that Horrible... but funny.

(it's hard to believe that's so old...)

Last edited by Stag of Oberon : 02-13-2013 at 04:22 AM.