Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Story Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
Question Thoughts on a certain genre

There are several genres here at lit, and it's good to be able to change things up and read something different from time to time. Of course, we all have our favorites, whether you're one who likes the gentle caress of a romantic story or if you prefer to throw your fantasies through the gauntlet of a BDSM or group sex story. All genres have their place it seems, and each has its own loyal following of readers and authors alike. While I experiment with both reading and writing in many different genres, I have found that one of my favorites doesn't draw very much attention from the users on this site.

Horror. I know, I know, no one comes here to read about people being hacked to pieces or having a sexual encounter forced upon them by some psycho killer. That stuff isn't hot, right? No matter what your preferred category is, we all come to Lit for similar reasons, usually to get off or experience our fantasies through the eyes of another. The horror genre seemingly doesn't do this well for many people, probably because of the conflicting emotions involved in many of the stories. How can you be turned on, have sex, or experience your wildest fantasy if there's zombies or serial killers around to terrify you? And why would you want to read about those things? That stuff is crazy, right?

The truth is that everyone on some level enjoys the thrill of being scared. Its the reason we ride roller coasters or watch horror movies. I'm sure everyone bere has read a horror novel at night and felt how gripping and terrifying a good piece of horror fiction can be. But can horror coexist with the erotic? I know that some erotic horror stories do nothing for us because they are honestly just bad stories. I would like to say that as horror is my favorite genre of fiction in general, I am striving to change this. I've begun to intertwine my love of horror with our deepest fantasies, and I plan to write plenty of erotic horror. I'd like to think that if done right, the thrill of such stories would be incredible. My only concern is that no one at lit would care much to read any of them.

And so my question is, is there a place for the erotic horror genre here at Lit? I'd like to know everyone else's thoughts on the matter. Trust me when I say that all comments or criticisms are welcome.

But do know, that in the throes of a lusty encounter, we are blind to danger. Love, and it's predecessor lust, are powerful intoxicating emotions. Who knows what chaos could crawl from the dark?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
GinaeEvans
Literotica Guru
 
GinaeEvans's Avatar
 
GinaeEvans is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: It varies throughout the day.
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCircle View Post
There are several genres here at lit, and it's good to be able to change things up and read something different from time to time. Of course, we all have our favorites, whether you're one who likes the gentle caress of a romantic story or if you prefer to throw your fantasies through the gauntlet of a BDSM or group sex story. All genres have their place it seems, and each has its own loyal following of readers and authors alike. While I experiment with both reading and writing in many different genres, I have found that one of my favorites doesn't draw very much attention from the users on this site.

Horror. I know, I know, no one comes here to read about people being hacked to pieces or having a sexual encounter forced upon them by some psycho killer. That stuff isn't hot, right? No matter what your preferred category is, we all come to Lit for similar reasons, usually to get off or experience our fantasies through the eyes of another. The horror genre seemingly doesn't do this well for many people, probably because of the conflicting emotions involved in many of the stories. How can you be turned on, have sex, or experience your wildest fantasy if there's zombies or serial killers around to terrify you? And why would you want to read about those things? That stuff is crazy, right?

The truth is that everyone on some level enjoys the thrill of being scared. Its the reason we ride roller coasters or watch horror movies. I'm sure everyone bere has read a horror novel at night and felt how gripping and terrifying a good piece of horror fiction can be. But can horror coexist with the erotic? I know that some erotic horror stories do nothing for us because they are honestly just bad stories. I would like to say that as horror is my favorite genre of fiction in general, I am striving to change this. I've begun to intertwine my love of horror with our deepest fantasies, and I plan to write plenty of erotic horror. I'd like to think that if done right, the thrill of such stories would be incredible. My only concern is that no one at lit would care much to read any of them.

And so my question is, is there a place for the erotic horror genre here at Lit? I'd like to know everyone else's thoughts on the matter. Trust me when I say that all comments or criticisms are welcome.

But do know, that in the throes of a lusty encounter, we are blind to danger. Love, and it's predecessor lust, are powerful intoxicating emotions. Who knows what chaos could crawl from the dark?
Sure. I like them, yes.

But I've seen too many scary movies to know that the ones who end up having sex always die first. Maybe there's a correlation?
__________________
I don't cyber, guys. I'm here to write and socialize. Sorry.

I don't dislike you. I nothing you.

I am a cunning linguist.

"Will you step into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
ChrissieLecker
Experienced
 
ChrissieLecker is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 76
I guess that is one category on Lit that cries out for plot-driven stories. I have to admit that I haven't read many stories in it, but that might have to do with those stories not often showing up when I search for tags that tickle my fanny. I do enjoy a bit of horror, in a pre-eighties, pentagrams-and-witches-sabbath, surprise-I'll-pull-you-into-the-daemons'-lair kind of way, though I was never one to watch Freddy & Co. and get some enjoyment out of it. I once stumbled upon an erotic horror comic when I was in Belgium and I enjoyed it very much, even though it took me hours to translate the bubbles with my French dictionary in hand, so yes, I do think there's a place for that kind of stories.
__________________
My Stories:
Casual Acquaintances - A story about female love, control, devotion, pain and pleasure. *)
Becoming Lisa's Pet - An all-girls college coed's willing descent.

*) Übersetzt ins Deutsche: Zufallsbekanntschaft - Eine Geschichte über Frauenliebe, Kontrolle, Hingabe, Schmerz und Lust
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaeEvans View Post
Sure. I like them, yes.

But I've seen too many scary movies to know that the ones who end up having sex always die first. Maybe there's a correlation?
Kind of like la petite mort, "the little death," a euphemism for the orgasam? I've used this in several of my stores--and a poem--here.

I dabble in erotic horror from time to time and enjoy writing it--in limited quantities.
__________________
______________________



Last edited by sr71plt : 01-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 18,828
I'm a huge horror fan and obviously a fa of erotica, however erotic horror does nothing for me personally.

I guess I like to keep my vices separate. I used to write quite a few horror stories in my younger days, but it got boring.

I mentioned that to someone here I correspond with all the time and they said that perhaps I just wasn't that "edgy" anymore and that's why I never tried mixing my horror roots with my new found love of erotica.

So I took him up on the challenge and went "old school" The results was 2 of the 5 chapters of a series being banned for excessive violence and gore as well as borderline snuff and torture.

But that was an experiment to prove a point. All in all I like my horror scary and my sex sexy and the two never meet well in my eyes.

My opinion of course, so no offense to those that write and enjoy reading it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
The idea of plot driven stories is absolutely correct. It's something I want to bring to the genre. Too many horror stories are exactly like many horror films. They've become torture porn, or Slasher infested cliche parties where cell phones always die and sex becomes just an added perk of watching the movie or reading the book. These stories always seem to consist of young people that are out to party and something terrible goes wrong, though the audience isn't really terrified. They are just waiting to see someone cut up with a machete or tossed into a woodchipper. I want to offer true terror to Lit, the way our predecessors envisioned it. True horror hits you when you're walking through the house at night and your mind starts to see all kinds of frightening things in the dark, whether you're a teenage girl or famous mixed martial arts fighter. Fear and horror are still alive, they're just portrayed the wrong way. Weaving a good story in which your audience bonds with your characters is still the most important factor, because when you relate to a character, you're there with them. And in a horror story, this is paramount. You not only relate to the character's fear, you feel it in your bones.

Furthermore, erotica is much the same. If you're right there with the character, then you're not only being drawn into a good sensual story, you're feeling it as well. Now imagine the two emotions, fear and lust, were present in the same story. It would be nothing short of a wild ride. You would have experienced a wide range of feelings reading such a story, from the thrill of experiencing a lusty fantasy become reality to your worst nightmare floating into your room and shattering that fantasy. Joy, lust, love, and wild sex, to nervousness, fear, terror, and impending doom. I want to excite everyone, to thrill you, but I want to disturb you, and scare the shit out of you at the same time.

Would it be something you guys would be willing to read? To be turned on and immediately looking over your shoulder from your computer screen? Or should Lit be simply erotica?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
I only ask these things because my favorite stories to write are horror, but I enjoy erotica as a hobby. I've experimented with blending the two, and found that both can be done while still achieving their sole purpose, (and not in a Slasher kills teens while sexually engaged kinda way.)

No, horror is not the monsters we know and are familiar with. It's not gore or serial killers, (though these are good ingredients if utilized correctly), but rather the opposite. It's those unknown things that twist and writhe in the recesses of our minds. Horror is what makes you still pull the covers up, squeeze your eyes shut, and ignore the sounds you're hearing in the house while you're trying to go to sleep, whether you're five years old, twenty five, or sixty five. This fear can still be found when we are at our most vulnerable, I.e. while drunk with lust.

It's not for everyone, I get that.

But if your favorite horror writer wrote erotica as well, wouldn't that make for an interesting story?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
GinaeEvans
Literotica Guru
 
GinaeEvans's Avatar
 
GinaeEvans is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: It varies throughout the day.
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCircle View Post
I only ask these things because my favorite stories to write are horror, but I enjoy erotica as a hobby. I've experimented with blending the two, and found that both can be done while still achieving their sole purpose, (and not in a Slasher kills teens while sexually engaged kinda way.)

No, horror is not the monsters we know and are familiar with. It's not gore or serial killers, (though these are good ingredients if utilized correctly), but rather the opposite. It's those unknown things that twist and writhe in the recesses of our minds. Horror is what makes you still pull the covers up, squeeze your eyes shut, and ignore the sounds you're hearing in the house while you're trying to go to sleep, whether you're five years old, twenty five, or sixty five. This fear can still be found when we are at our most vulnerable, I.e. while drunk with lust.

It's not for everyone, I get that.

But if your favorite horror writer wrote erotica as well, wouldn't that make for an interesting story?
H.P. Lovecraft erotica? "The Cumming of Cthulhu?" The very notion gives me chills. The creepy ones, not the tingly ones.
__________________
I don't cyber, guys. I'm here to write and socialize. Sorry.

I don't dislike you. I nothing you.

I am a cunning linguist.

"Will you step into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 18,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCircle View Post
I only ask these things because my favorite stories to write are horror, but I enjoy erotica as a hobby. I've experimented with blending the two, and found that both can be done while still achieving their sole purpose, (and not in a Slasher kills teens while sexually engaged kinda way.)

No, horror is not the monsters we know and are familiar with. It's not gore or serial killers, (though these are good ingredients if utilized correctly), but rather the opposite. It's those unknown things that twist and writhe in the recesses of our minds. Horror is what makes you still pull the covers up, squeeze your eyes shut, and ignore the sounds you're hearing in the house while you're trying to go to sleep, whether you're five years old, twenty five, or sixty five. This fear can still be found when we are at our most vulnerable, I.e. while drunk with lust.

It's not for everyone, I get that.

But if your favorite horror writer wrote erotica as well, wouldn't that make for an interesting story?
Anne Rice comes to mind. But I thought her erotica was better than her horror because I hate her wussy vampires.

Stephen King used to write dirty stories for Caviler magazine before he broke it big. He has a few dirty little scenes in his books but nothing really drawn out.

Your point that horror has become almost nothing but stupid torture porn is spot on. They have even tried remaking damn remakes Last House on the left the rape seen was so over the top and sadistic I walked out of the theater. All that is is masking the fact you have no talent to show a story.

For the record though? Get out there and see "Mama" goddamn creepy!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaeEvans View Post
H.P. Lovecraft erotica? "The Cumming of Cthulhu?" The very notion gives me chills. The creepy ones, not the tingly ones.
Now there's an interesting direction to take. Headed in my direction actually. Maybe you would like the stories I may try to bring to the site, though they'd have far less tentacles I assure you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
GinaeEvans
Literotica Guru
 
GinaeEvans's Avatar
 
GinaeEvans is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: It varies throughout the day.
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCircle View Post
Now there's an interesting direction to take. Headed in my direction actually. Maybe you would like the stories I may try to bring to the site, though they'd have far less tentacles I assure you.

I don't have an aversion to tentacles, per se. Nor against anyone who may enjoy such a thing.

They're just not my chosen ...uh... anything.

And, I might. When you post a story, add the link in the "New Story Adverts" forum so anyone who wants to check it out, can.
__________________
I don't cyber, guys. I'm here to write and socialize. Sorry.

I don't dislike you. I nothing you.

I am a cunning linguist.

"Will you step into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
Anne Rice comes to mind. But I thought her erotica was better than her horror because I hate her wussy vampires.

Stephen King used to write dirty stories for Caviler magazine before he broke it big. He has a few dirty little scenes in his books but nothing really drawn out.

Your point that horror has become almost nothing but stupid torture porn is spot on. They have even tried remaking damn remakes Last House on the left the rape seen was so over the top and sadistic I walked out of the theater. All that is is masking the fact you have no talent to show a story.

For the record though? Get out there and see "Mama" goddamn creepy!
Damn good film.

http://www.literotica.com/s/sideshow-sylvie

The only horror story I've posted to this site as of yet. Wanted to start this thread before posting more. It might be something you'd like, though it's a bit odd.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,832
Since we're sharing stories, here's one of mine that got good mileage for years (for some reason the comments got stripped out recently--but I've noticed that with other older stories).

http://www.literotica.com/s/snaked
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 18,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaeEvans View Post
I don't have an aversion to tentacles, per se. Nor against anyone who may enjoy such a thing.

They're just not my chosen ...uh... anything.

And, I might. When you post a story, add the link in the "New Story Adverts" forum so anyone who wants to check it out, can.
Tentacle sex is Stella Omega's big thing! She wrote a pretty cool one here recently

http://www.literotica.com/s/an-inter...-despina-jones

It's under sci-fi though
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
ClockworkBanana
Virgin
 
ClockworkBanana is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
I think Horror is hurt a lot by the Nonhuman section (especially regarding Horror creatures like werewolves and vampires and whatnot). People tend to contribute to nonhuman much more even if the story could be considered horror and has horror characters/elements because submitting to Horror is a daunting task - it's made clear by the guidelines that Horror stories are supposed to be scary - and that is a very difficult emotion to pull off, much more so than getting the reader turned on (to say nothing of having to do both at the same time!) Thus, I think a lot of stories that could be easily put into Horror are instead put into Nonhuman because the author is worried that the story isn't "scary" enough - and similarly, while writing, authors may tend to move towards the nonhuman category because they don't want to even try to scare the reader since its so difficult to do.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia (occasionally USA)
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaeEvans View Post
H.P. Lovecraft erotica? "The Cumming of Cthulhu?" The very notion gives me chills. The creepy ones, not the tingly ones.
It's implied in a lot of his stories - HPL had a horror of miscegenation, and especially "Shadow over Innsmouth" and "Dunwich Horror" revolve around monsters breeding with humans.

IIRC the Spanish film of "Shadow over Innsmouth" (which they called "Dagon" to confuse HPL fans) had enough to keep the tentacle fetishists happy...
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
GinaeEvans
Literotica Guru
 
GinaeEvans's Avatar
 
GinaeEvans is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: It varies throughout the day.
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
It's implied in a lot of his stories - HPL had a horror of miscegenation, and especially "Shadow over Innsmouth" and "Dunwich Horror" revolve around monsters breeding with humans.

IIRC the Spanish film of "Shadow over Innsmouth" (which they called "Dagon" to confuse HPL fans) had enough to keep the tentacle fetishists happy...

Yeah, and when Cthulhu awakens, it's going to be a tentacle sex-frenzy from here to there. -chuckle-
__________________
I don't cyber, guys. I'm here to write and socialize. Sorry.

I don't dislike you. I nothing you.

I am a cunning linguist.

"Will you step into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
Just wanted to get a feel for what users thought of the genre, and what your idea of horror is. It seems as though many readers on this site find the content strange. Or as clockwork pointed out, many themes found in erotic horror could also be placed in other genres. Actually, a few of my stories could belong to one genre or another, bit I don't think that we should worry about labels so much. So what if a story involves anal, incest, and group sex, if the main theme is romance or horror, that's where it belongs. The genre should simply be a generalized category to help readers find stories suited to them, but honestly it shouldn't define every event that takes place in a story.

Love or lust can find characters in many different situations. Horror, too, can lurk around any corner, hiding and watching you. You may very well be in the middle of a wild sexual encounter, but horror doesn't care. That's when it likes to strike, when your gaurd (and possibly your pants) are down.

On another note, are vampires, werewolves, and zombies the best we can do for horror nowadays? These mythical creatures terrified the masses a long time ago, but honestly we have made the one mistake you cannot make when crafting horror. We embraced them, related to them, hell nowadays we love them. As a result, we no longer fear them. We know them too well.

I thank you, GinaeEvans, for mentioning H.P. Lovecraft, because it was he that pointed out that humans fear what we don't understand. We fear the unknown. How can we predict the unknown? Or survive it? No, we don't fear our beloved pet monsters that have made their way to the main stage of pop culture. They're too cool, and we don't fear cool. I'm not saying that we should include the ancient old ones in erotic horror, but I think being wooed by a dangerous vampire has been done... a lot. I simply propose that we at Lit wait until the sun goes down and the house is silent. Then, enter the erotic horror section and seek out the stories that turn you on enough to drop your gaurd... before you start hearing things.

Could this work? Or should I keep my genres separated as stated earlier?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCircle View Post
On another note, are vampires, werewolves, and zombies the best we can do for horror nowadays?
No, of course not. I don't know how you extraploted to there. The example I indexed, at least, has nothing to do with vampires, werewolves, or zombies. I think of those as in another category altogether (because they are so compartmented in content. Horror doesn't need to be that limited.)
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
No, of course not. I don't know how you extraploted to there. The example I indexed, at least, has nothing to do with vampires, werewolves, or zombies. I think of those as in another category altogether (because they are so compartmented in content. Horror doesn't need to be that limited.)
Snaked was a story I liked. I actually read the story a long time ago and found it pretty interesting and different, though, no offense, didn't quite scare me or give me that sort of thrill. Snaked is a good example of a story that many people (myself excluded) think is odd or strange.

Of course, it's easy to watch a horror movie in the comfort of your own home with the heat turned up and loved ones around you, and make comments on how the terrified girl shouldn't have tripped in the dark woods, or that you would have just kicked that ghost in the face if it were you in that situation.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 18,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaeEvans View Post
H.P. Lovecraft erotica? "The Cumming of Cthulhu?" The very notion gives me chills. The creepy ones, not the tingly ones.
Lovecraft also flirted with incest themes in The Lurking Fear
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
SecondCircle
Literotica Guru
 
SecondCircle is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Below
Posts: 1,105
I should mention that I often speak in pretty general terms. I know great horror stories are still being written, as well as erotic horror stories.

I rant a lot, too.

Just wanted your opinions on the matter.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.