Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Another - FREE - word processor

Some while ago, there was a bit of a discussion about what sort of word processor was used. Apart from the usual Microsoft Word (and several curses at it), mention was given of 'yWriter' and "Open Office" [which is very good, and nearly the same as Word, which files it will read and write].

I have found another [it takes me ages to catch up these days] . It's called "Libre Office" and it can be found HERE. This one seems to be able to output a PDF which is going to make distribution of the resulting documents a great deal easier.

I reckon it's worth a try.

PS. This is not spam; I have no involvement with the firm at all.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Oh bother. I was hoping this would be spam leading to me finding out whether the widow escaped her bindngs and what happened then.

Does this have a track changes tool?

Submission. I mean my submissions.

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other nine hundred and ninety-nine follow women. - Groucho Marx.
You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog
My blog reviewing erotica: Feminist Erotica

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
autoplot
Really Really Experienced

Yes, LibreOffice tracks changes.

It's basically OpenOffice with much better support. The project forked a while back. LibreOffice is much better, and if you're currently using OpenOffice, I would suggest trading up.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoplot View Post
Yes, LibreOffice tracks changes.

It's basically OpenOffice with much better support. The project forked a while back. LibreOffice is much better, and if you're currently using OpenOffice, I would suggest trading up.
Now that is very useful advice. Many thanks

Handley Page

"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

What happens when you try to send a file to anyone? Is it compatible with Word?

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
What happens when you try to send a file to anyone? Is it compatible with Word?
If it is a better version of OpenOffice, then there should not be a problem. Just save in the proper format

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
If it is a better version of OpenOffice, then there should not be a problem. Just save in the proper format
Thanks, then it should be OK. Love it or hate it, Word is the world of connections in the publishing world, and it will be up to the writer to connect with any files they are sending outside their own computer.

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Thanks, then it should be OK. Love it or hate it, Word is the world of connections in the publishing world, and it will be up to the writer to connect with any files they are sending outside their own computer.
I have an old ragged eared copy of office 2000 that I do all my writing on. I've had no problems with anything until this last version of Word came out. One small publishing company I deal with bought it. It doesn't like my 2000 so I run the file through OpenOffice with the xdoc format and everyone is happy.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
I have an old ragged eared copy of office 2000 that I do all my writing on. I've had no problems with anything until this last version of Word came out. One small publishing company I deal with bought it. It doesn't like my 2000 so I run the file through OpenOffice with the xdoc format and everyone is happy.
Yeah, my work shifted from OpenOffice to MS Office a couple of years back; I'm happy to work in MS Office for most stuff, but OpenOffice can be useful for transmogrifying file formats.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Yeah, my work shifted from OpenOffice to MS Office a couple of years back; I'm happy to work in MS Office for most stuff, but OpenOffice can be useful for transmogrifying file formats.
I have this old ThinkPad that's has two huge batteries in it. When I go somewhere on my motorcycle, I take it. The batteries take up a lot of case so the harddrive is small. I have Linux on it and OpenOffice Word to write on. All my stories are on a thumb drive so that is no problem.

I have a 12volt port on my bike but the battery on it is small, so I have to charge as I ride. I have a route around the lake I live on and another around another lake with parks along the way with good views for writing spots. A good way to get out of the house and write also.

If I drop the old IBM off the bike, I haven't lost much but the screen is easier to read in bright sunlight than the newer models. Not nearly the glare problems.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaokoSmith View Post
Oh bother. I was hoping this would be spam leading to me finding out whether the widow escaped her bindings and what happened then.

Does this have a track changes tool?

Oh no problem. The coasters did it first I think but :
Along came Jones.

Handley Page

"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "

Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
lovecraft68
Not one of the cool kids

The first story I wrote I did it in notepad, then I used open office for awhile.

I currently use word 2007. My wife has the latest/greatest version of word, but I think 2007 is better and its "in the middle" its not so old as to have issues like 2000, but new enough to have a few better features.

While we're discussing this. I have a question about "google docs" an editor is trying to get me to use it because the doc can be made "live" and we can work on it together.

My question is does that mean others can access the doc? Meaning your work is literally up there for grabs?

Sorry, if this is a lame question, but I'm pretty tech impaired.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

The Best 3 minutes of news I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdmtJCEWPA

Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
The first story I wrote I did it in notepad, then I used open office for awhile.

I currently use word 2007. My wife has the latest/greatest version of word, but I think 2007 is better and its "in the middle" its not so old as to have issues like 2000, but new enough to have a few better features.

While we're discussing this. I have a question about "google docs" an editor is trying to get me to use it because the doc can be made "live" and we can work on it together.

My question is does that mean others can access the doc? Meaning your work is literally up there for grabs?

Sorry, if this is a lame question, but I'm pretty tech impaired.
I have used Google Docs live to write with another author. It works great. I also use it to do quick changes and rewrites with my editor. I've never had any security problems or heard of any for that matter.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post

You should be able to restrict access to yourself and your editor. Since Google is hosting it, obviously some of Google's staff would be able to access it if they decided that was an acceptable thing to do.

So you'll want to consider whether you trust Google with that. OTOH, if you've been swapping Word files by email up till now, then that's equally vulnerable to the staff at your ISP and your editor's (unless you're encrypting email).

Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #16
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
Oh no problem. The coasters did it first I think but :
Along came Jones.
Phew, thank goodness for Jones!
And what a tasty blonde that was in the right hand bottom corner.

Submission. I mean my submissions.

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other nine hundred and ninety-nine follow women. - Groucho Marx.
You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog
My blog reviewing erotica: Feminist Erotica

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #17
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaokoSmith View Post
Phew, thank goodness for Jones!
And what a tasty blonde that was in the right hand bottom corner.

Yeah, she was a taste treat back in the day but she's older than I am.

A note of interest, the heavy set guy in the yellow t-shirt is Junior Samples. He owns CMT. If you ever saw him on HeeHaw, the show that clip was from, you wouldn't think he had a brain in his head.

All Stories By TxRad