Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
theDragnet
Virgin

iPad art tools?

Hi there. I'm new on this board but I thought I'd dive in and start a thread. I hope that's appropriate.

Do any of you use art tools on the iPad or other touch devices? I wonder what works for you and why? I've been using Brushes to doodle a little bit and I like a lot of aspects - layers, the ability to export at high res, the fact that you can make marks directly on the "canvas". But I find the actual brushes themselves are a bit meh. Anyone have any tips?

Here's a little self portrait I did while I was in bed sick with th eflu a couple of weeks ago, using Brushes on the iPad

http://thedragnet.tumblr.com/post/39...f-portrait-dec

I'd be grateful for your opinions

My photography: 500px.com/draGnet
My band Deathline: deathline.co.uk
My Tumblr: thedragnet.tumblr.com
My blog: thedragnet.org

Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Pussy_Patrol
Really Experienced

Nice pic.

I use the app too. In settings you can change the bristle density. Have you tried that?

PP

Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
theDragnet
Virgin

No, I'll give that a go. Thanks! Have you tried any other drawing/painting apps?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
Pussy_Patrol
Really Experienced

Only that one.

Is it me or does it seem time consuming doing such on the iPad?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
theDragnet
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussy_Patrol View Post
Only that one.

Is it me or does it seem time consuming doing such on the iPad?
I find any for of drawing time consuming, so a yes on that one

I like the iPad but I find it hard using my finger for a long time on the glass. And I find the styluses available not really sensitive enough.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Pussy_Patrol
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDragnet View Post
I find any for of drawing time consuming, so a yes on that one

I like the iPad but I find it hard using my finger for a long time on the glass. And I find the styluses available not really sensitive enough.
An iPad is a compromise and your finger does get sore after a while. How long did it take to draw the above pic?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
2hoi
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDragnet View Post
Hi there. I'm new on this board but I thought I'd dive in and start a thread. I hope that's appropriate.

Do any of you use art tools on the iPad or other touch devices? I wonder what works for you and why? I've been using Brushes to doodle a little bit and I like a lot of aspects - layers, the ability to export at high res, the fact that you can make marks directly on the "canvas". But I find the actual brushes themselves are a bit meh. Anyone have any tips?

http://thedragnet.tumblr.com/post/39...f-portrait-dec

I'd be grateful for your opinions
Awesome job, I use my iPad allot for art. I have not ever used Brushes but I use a similar app called Procreate. Here you can see my ipad made stuff here

http://pinterest.com/jsaundersstudio/my-artwork/

Lots of options like layers and layer styles and the brushes are really good and customizable with options to buy art packs of really well developed brushes. I also use photoshop touch to do photo editing after its done and I used Pixlromantic for fun to see what would happen, like throwing paint on a finished piece.

I also had fun with autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Sketch book ink also looks real good for line art, but I have not tried it.

As for fingers, I don't use them, always used a stylus and now I have the Pogo Conect, wich is awesome, not as good as Wacom for the computer, but being mobile helps off set that restriction. I look forward to the death of computers and working lounged on a couch.
Keep showing us your stuff, and I promise to start a few projects that I can post hear.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Pussy_Patrol
Really Experienced

WOW! Top work, so I take it you edit on a mac or pc afterwards?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
2hoi
Virgin

Quote:
WOW! Top work, so I take it you edit on a mac or pc afterwards?
I can and I do (PC, I can work with both, but I prefer PC for at home): these illustrations however were all done on the iPad using the apps I mentioned. A few started out as paper and pencil sketches, but I wanted to try and see if I could do some serious work on my iPad, and I can

Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
FloridaSmoothie
Literotica Guru

I use ArtRage. Even though not a professional artist, it is fun to use. Have no idea how it stacks up to the other apps mentioned above.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
shininstarr
Experienced

I use sketch club

Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
theDragnet
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hoi View Post
Awesome job, I use my iPad allot for art. I have not ever used Brushes but I use a similar app called Procreate. Here you can see my ipad made stuff here

http://pinterest.com/jsaundersstudio/my-artwork/

Lots of options like layers and layer styles and the brushes are really good and customizable with options to buy art packs of really well developed brushes. I also use photoshop touch to do photo editing after its done and I used Pixlromantic for fun to see what would happen, like throwing paint on a finished piece.

I also had fun with autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Sketch book ink also looks real good for line art, but I have not tried it.

As for fingers, I don't use them, always used a stylus and now I have the Pogo Conect, wich is awesome, not as good as Wacom for the computer, but being mobile helps off set that restriction. I look forward to the death of computers and working lounged on a couch.
Keep showing us your stuff, and I promise to start a few projects that I can post hear.
Really cool diverse range of work. I like the portraits best. The one of the girl smoking is really resonant. I have been thinking about Procreate as it's been recommended to be before.

Thanks for all the tips. I will try that stylus next time I get paid!

Quote:
An iPad is a compromise and your finger does get sore after a while. How long did it take to draw the above pic?
That one, I did on and off when I was in bed with the flu. Probably four or five hours over two days.

I just did another one of me and my bandmate Jennie (based on the back cover image of our recent album) - this one was probably a couple of hours just sat and working solidly - mostly in brushes then "fucked up" in Snapseed to give it a bit of grunge. Two colour variants:

Pink Deathline

Blue Deathline

I'm aware that this is an erotica forum and I do have an idea for such a piece, which will be my next one, I promise!

Last edited by theDragnet : 01-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
theDragnet
Virgin

I've done another self portrait using Brushes. Hope you all like it!

http://thedragnet.tumblr.com/post/42...rtrait-v2-2013

Click the image to see it enlarged

Comments are most welcome!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
2hoi
Virgin

Thats pretty hot Dragnet... I like how you played around with negative space. Don't be afraid to crop more the layout of an image.
Thank you for the props