Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Green_Knight
Literotica Guru

Spelling out the sounds of Orgasms

I know that there have been threads in the past which have discussed how we might write up the act of sex both in terms of the actions involved and the sort of sounds that people make during the act - moans, groans, whimpers, screams, yells, etc. All good stuff. But what about the actual utterances that people make?

Some authors insist on adding sound effects, which largely seem to rely on repeated letters, symbols, etc, such as:
  • “Ohhhhhhh yesssssssss…….cum in me…….. cummminmeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!”
  • “UUGGgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!”
  • “OOHHhhhhhhh, ccchhrrriisssttt!!!!”
  • "Uh, uh, uh, UH!!"
  • "OhhhmmmyyyyyGooodddd!"
  • "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH"
Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I cringe at most of these, especially those of the final form.

However, assuming that we do need to try to reproduce the sounds of orgasm, how should they be reproduced in text. To give you a hand, I heartily recommend this video in the hope that someone will want to try to set down in text the various sounds heard in it. Who'd like to have a try at creating an official Lit dictionary of sex and orgasm sounds?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

The problem is, I think, that the Reader needs to know that she's experiencing Something Good.
A lover will know because his partner is almost attached to him and he can get the whole impression, but it's not possible to write it down!

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
HandsInTheDark
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Knight View Post
Some authors insist on adding sound effects, which largely seem to rely on repeated letters, symbols, etc, ...
I just about never do anything like that, simply because it seems so lame. I'm fond of using increasingly broken sentences leading up to an orgasm, to indicate the fog and distraction of arousal, but once a character is completely incoherent I'd rather note that and move onto physical description, or just close the scene. Orgasm is just a final product; erotica is about what leads up to it.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
TheFirmHand80
Really Experienced

sploosh.

THE END

Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
KindofHere
No title.

Last edited by KindofHere : 02-08-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirmHand80 View Post
sploosh.

THE END

I don't use any of those things and I don't like reading them. It's a waste of my time. I skip them and if there's a lot of them then I skip the rest of the story. Instead I describe movements and reactions.

My recent favorite from my stories is, "Claudia closed her eyes and opened her mouth as if to scream, but she could only manage garbled moans and gasps."

Hopefully the reader can tell from that how Claudia is blinded by her climax.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Hey, I love writing the sound effects but its hard to be original. Staccato dialog kind of works as well. I far prefer trying to show and getting the reader right into the characters head than telling.

Last edited by ChloeTzang : 02-08-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
werdsmith
Literotica Guru

everything you need to know in life can be found in this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzIN3EgBIHg

http://www.literotica.com/s/weekend-for-a-friend

You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability..

Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
KindofHere
No title.

Last edited by KindofHere : 02-08-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
werdsmith
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindofHere View Post
God damn it Werd, not I have to watch it.

Edit: I based my life off this movie. Didn't get me very far. Damn it.

'PC load letter, what the fuck does that mean ... so you want to be a gangsta?'

I hate you werd.
we need to talk about your TPS reports

http://www.literotica.com/s/weekend-for-a-friend

You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability..

Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
KindofHere
No title.

Last edited by KindofHere : 02-08-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Depends on your target audience. There are readers who find written sound effects arousing and explanatory. If you don't want them, don't use them--that probably will help form your target audience. Same thing if you do want/use them. Saying to use them or not isn't universal guidance; it's a matter of choosing target audiences. Making fun of authors doing it another way doesn't make your own writing any better to that author's target audience.

Last edited by sr71plt : 02-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Depends on your target audience. There are readers who find written sound effects arousing and explanatory. If you don't want them, don't use them--that probably will help form your target audience. Same thing if you do want/use them. Saying to use them or not isn't universal guidance; it's a matter of choosing target audiences. Making fun of authors doing it another way doesn't make your own writing any better to that author's target audience.
Are you in that group? I'm totally not, but I realize that I'm also not a representative Lit reader.

Are there really people who would distinguish between "AAAAAhhhhhhmmmmmm" and "Gah gah gah gha"?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
KindofHere
No title.

Last edited by KindofHere : 02-08-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #15
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
Are you in that group? I'm totally not, but I realize that I'm also not a representative Lit reader.

Are there really people who would distinguish between "AAAAAhhhhhhmmmmmm" and "Gah gah gah gha"?
The answer I'm going for to that is that it's not any other author's business whether another author was or wasn't in that group and that good authors aren't pinned down to one "group" to begin with. "Do as I do" is anathema in creative writing. And we have a lot of "do as I do" and "this is the way the reader wants it" going on in this forum--and that's counterproductive in the world of creative writing.

I don't use the technique to extreme (either in frequency or elongation of the sounds), but I use it for some target audiences and in some contexts. I try to write with a wide variety and to more than the "universal reader" it seems many in this forum think exists or should exist.

I think folks here need to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what "everyone's" goals of writing are or should be--and should spend more time creating their own unique writing voice and style than either telling others what to write or asking committees how to write pablum to get praise and red Hs from what, on the whole, is a pretty basic "show me the sex" audience here.

Last edited by sr71plt : 02-07-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #16
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
I think folks here need to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what the goals of writing are--and should spend more time creating their unique voice than either telling others what to write or asking committees how to write pablum.
Nice thought.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #17
KindofHere
No title.

Last edited by KindofHere : 02-08-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
jehoram
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I don't use any of those things and I don't like reading them. It's a waste of my time.
Same with me. It takes me right out of the story. But then again, I doubt if I'm your average reader of erotica, any more than I'm the average writer.

It does get me wondering, though. If the story is translated into another language, do these passages have to be translated, too? What is "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH" in French?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
Areala-chan
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehoram View Post
Same with me. It takes me right out of the story. But then again, I doubt if I'm your average reader of erotica, any more than I'm the average writer.

It does get me wondering, though. If the story is translated into another language, do these passages have to be translated, too? What is "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH" in French?
Considering the French have their own words for animal sounds that are different from their English counterparts ('grogne grogne' as opposed to 'oink oink', for instance), there probably is some French translation for "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH".

Personally I'm not a fan of spelling out all the orgasmic sounds because it feels lazy when I do it. If all I do is write a lot of "Uhh...unnf...ooo!" noises, I look back on it and think, "Was this really the best I could do?" The answer to that question is always "no".

I think it's far more effective to let the reader fill in their own details, and focus on more than just the audible part of the climax. If the best you can wring out of your character is an elongated "Oooooooooooooooooooooh--!", then maybe you don't know your character as well as you should.

Crash Into Me - Two sisters find love in the aftermath of tragedy. 8 LIT pages, heavy on the romance and build-up.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #20
JaxRhapsody
Literotica Guru

Quote:
The answer I'm going for to that is that it's not any other author's business whether another author was or wasn't in that group and that good authors aren't pinned down to one "group" to begin with. "Do as I do" is anathema in creative writing. And we have a lot of "do as I do" and "this is the way the reader wants it" going on in this forum--and that's counterproductive in the world of creative writing.

I don't use the technique to extreme (either in frequency or elongation of the sounds), but I use it for some target audiences and in some contexts. I try to write with a wide variety and to more than the "universal reader" it seems many in this forum think exists or should exist.

I think folks here need to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what "everyone's" goals of writing are or should be--and should spend more time creating their own unique writing voice and style than either telling others what to write or asking committees how to write pablum to get praise and red Hs from what, on the whole, is a pretty basic "show me the sex" audience here.
It's why I stopped caring so much about what somebody doesn't like to see. I might use all three in one scene.

"Uh! This is....mmmm...your pussy," she exclaimed through preclimax body palipatations.

Her body shaking, breathing heavy as she comes closer and closer, her legs stiffen.

"Oh fu-mmmmph...fuck! Ya really know h- hah hah hah shit yes, I'm...getting...claaahhhhh..."

Shit like that.

The Rhapsodic LaviathanThese are the stories.
Stories of Velocity C'mon and stay a spell!
My AH profile

Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #21
OmnislashXX
Really Experienced

If I ever get around to writing it, the scene will actually downright require those sounds.
I envision it going something like:

"Her smile vanished, replaced by an intentional focus on the fingertips that kept nudging against the perimeters of her entrance. Where there was once a tickling sensation, now Kelly sensed a more intense itching.

The fingers kept touching her there. She tried to squirm, to keep the rough fingers from tapping against her pussy. His middle finger curved inwardly, stroking atop the lips of her entrance.
"Uh", Kelly's mouth softly emitted.
Frank smiled when he heard the suggestive breath, knowing that her will was starting to break. He continued to work his right fingertips, trapping bits of intimate hair between the digits. A moist warmness slipped underneath them- "

Well. you get the idea. I think it really depends on how you write it. Dang, I'm gonna have to save this now so I can use it later.

Last edited by OmnislashXX : 02-08-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Which leads into the telling vs. showing discussion. Guess which one is showing?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #23
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Which leads into the telling vs. showing discussion. Guess which one is showing?
I imagine that trying to write out the garbled noises we make during orgasm could be considered more to the "showing" side. Still, it's meaningless to me, so showing vs telling isn't the question as far as I'm concerned.

I ran across an audio loop once of the sounds that men make during sex. You could probably Google it. Those noises don't actually translate to English particularly well.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #24
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Fine, and it doesn't mean all that much to me either. But, tragically (Ohhhh, Ahhh), neither you nor I are the only reader or writer on earth nor am I under the delusion that all writers should write to my personal preferences. Maybe that's why I don't bother to start threads here giving my personal preferences in reading.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #25
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Maybe that's why I don't bother to start threads here giving my personal preferences in reading.
It might be interesting if you did--interesting compared to more of such from JBJ, anyway.