Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
tomlitilia
Really Experienced

Thesaurus alternatives

I (like presumably many more here do) use http://www.thesaurus.com/ and https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/ as thesauruses. Are there other online sources worth considering?

Old 03-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
jsmiam
Literotica Guru

Shift-F7 if you use Microsoft Word, always instantly there, the built in thesaurus. Other programs probably have a keyboard shortcut for their thesaurus too.

It's instantaneous.. Whatever perceived criticisms you might come up with are overcome by it always being a fraction of a second away.
My story on lit -- Personal blog and other stories - https://j2two.wordpress.com -- Accepting pics for my signature so i can say in a squeaky voice, "I'm squeezing your boooob, I'm squeezing your boooob!" (or booty) - L-R, Tiamo15, LauraWilling (recognition by their permission)

Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
HectorBidon
Experienced

For a lot of words, if you just type the word into Google it gives you the definition and synonyms. You can force this by typing "define" before your word.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Haulover
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiam View Post
Shift-F7 if you use Microsoft Word, always instantly there, the built in thesaurus. Other programs probably have a keyboard shortcut for their thesaurus too.

It's instantaneous.. Whatever perceived criticisms you might come up with are overcome by it always being a fraction of a second away.
^^This

I rarely use any of the suggestions from^F7, but it gets you thinking...

Neil

The stories so far

Old 03-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulover View Post
^^This

I rarely use any of the suggestions from^F7, but it gets you thinking...
Synonyms and full thesaurus are available in LibreWriter with a click on the right button. I just realized that it gave a number of convenient synonyms for "cock."

My personal favorite is Oscar's Place.
My most recent is The Third Ring.
Up next is probably part 3 of "A Valentine's Day Mess"

Old 03-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
visioneer
Literotica Guru

Artha (based on WordNet) works on Linux and Windows platforms, and runs off-line.

Stories and Poems

Old 03-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

A good education can go a long way to replacing the need for a thesaurus for writing use (especially as the thesaurus can easily be overused in writing).

Old 03-05-2017, 04:29 AM   #8
tomlitilia
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
A good education can go a long way to replacing the need for a thesaurus for writing use (especially as the thesaurus can easily be overused in writing).
Thanks I'll get one.
I actually think the one I have is OK. It's just that English isn't my first language, so it takes a bit longer to find the right word sometimes. And a thesaurus helps.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #9
RubenR
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlitilia View Post
Thanks I'll get one.
I actually think the one I have is OK. It's just that English isn't my first language, so it takes a bit longer to find the right word sometimes. And a thesaurus helps.
Right. There are a few other countries that provide proper education, although perhaps they may not spend 'enough' time on these topics, or the difference between American or English grammar

These days, 'Googling', and other methods to find your way around Internet should be a major topic on schools.

For most people, practice makes acceptable but rarely perfect.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
CarlusMagnus
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiam View Post

Dictionary and Thesaurus are built into Macs.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 03-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I don't really like using a thesaurus, but every now and then I get a brain block and the word on the tip of my literary tongue won't come through. That's when I use the thesaurus.

We used to have an employee who wrote so poorly that my employer made me review and edit his writing before he even looked at it. We eventually found it better if he didn't write at all.

He didn't have much of a vocabulary, and that showed in his normal writing, but he did have a thesaurus. If I found a 10-dollar word embedded in the text with a definition close to what he wanted, but not quite there, I knew he used his thesaurus.

My personal favorite is Oscar's Place.
My most recent is The Third Ring.
Up next is probably part 3 of "A Valentine's Day Mess"

Old 03-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I don't really like using a thesaurus, but every now and then I get a brain block and the word on the tip of my literary tongue won't come through. That's when I use the thesaurus.
I have a Roget's and a Rodale's "Word Finder" on a bookshelf within reach, and I may use it once or twice a year--often knowing what word I want but not a spelling of it that spellcheck is satisfied with or that I can find in the dictionary (on a rolling stand at my left hand side). More and more, though, I just plug a word in google and go from there for either a synonym or a spelling. I do still use the print dictionary and a geographic dictionary. These days I have to use a magnifying glass to read them, though. I have a computer in front of me for composing and one at my right hand for fact checking.

Basically, if an action word isn't in my vocabulary already it's questionable whether it should be used in an erotica story.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Elloelle
Really Experienced

I don't know what a theosaurus is but I like the ones with three horns and the ones with the really long necks and stuff cause I think they're cute and stuff but they're really big and stuff and I can't keep one in my apartment so I don't have any.

Debbie

Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #14
CarlusMagnus
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elloelle View Post
I don't know what a theosaurus is but I like the ones with three horns and the ones with the really long necks and stuff cause I think they're cute and stuff but they're really big and stuff and I can't keep one in my apartment so I don't have any.

Debbie
"Theosaurus" is the Greek for "Godzilla."

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlusMagnus View Post
"Theosaurus" is the Greek for "Godzilla."
...comes lumbering from the steaming swamp, eyeballs flaring, breath coagulating, mud and slime dripping, massive thump-thump-thump footsteps...

Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 AM   #16
RubenR
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
...comes lumbering from the steaming swamp, eyeballs flaring, breath coagulating, mud and slime dripping, massive thump-thump-thump footsteps...
I will destroy, consume, crush, damage, dismantle, end, eradicate, gut, impair, kill, maim, ravage, raze, ruin, sabotage, shatter, smash, wipe out, wreck this city, metropolis, municipality, township!!!

Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 AM   #17
Morwen
Après moi, le déluge.

WordWeb is better than the shit alternatives proposed here. Like Mac or Microsoft gives a fuck. These corporations see you as cattle.

WordWeb, open source, here.