Old 04-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
centrum1000
Really Experienced

Burner phone for FetLife

Does any use a burner phone?

I tried signing up for FetLife but they require a phone number for SMS verification. I'm not comfort using my cell phone for that...

While I'm at it I guess I'm curious if anyone has tried FetLife.

Am I crazy? Is there an easy workaround? Anyone willing to let me use there burner number for an SMS?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Christobal
Mostly I'm comfortable

Don't know about the phone but I met some people on fetlife. It worked out well.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
centrum1000
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christobal View Post
Don't know about the phone but I met some people on fetlife. It worked out well.
How did you sign up without using a phone?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Christobal
Mostly I'm comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrum1000 View Post
How did you sign up without using a phone?
Hell i figure all that information is out there. I used my cellphone #. Nothing has happen since I did it and it had been over three years.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
centrum1000
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christobal View Post
Hell i figure all that information is out there. I used my cellphone #. Nothing has happen since I did it and it had been over three years.
I know I'm just being paranoid... I just don't like the idea of connecting my real life and my kink life ;-)

Old 04-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
UnderMyKilt
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
I know I'm just being paranoid... I just don't like the idea of connecting my real life and my kink life ;-)
Interesting concept. Is the implication that your "kink life" is not real? Mine is part of me and about as real as it gets.

My true stories.

What can I say? After all these years, and a diverse variety of sexual experiences, kinks, and fetishes, I'm still trying to figure out this "nature vs nurture" thing.

In any event, I yam what I yam and dat's all what I yam .

Old 04-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Ricky_Champagne
Flirtatious

I signed up a long time ago, and they didn't require it then. You're not missing out, IMO.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
centrum1000
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderMyKilt View Post
Interesting concept. Is the implication that your "kink life" is not real? Mine is part of me and about as real as it gets.
Nothing like that at all. I just don't need my two half meeting ;-) I like having the outward appearance of being a vanilla upstanding citizen while exploring and reveling in my kinks on my terms.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
tryn2Bgood
Really Experienced

Quote:
So just go buy a burner phone...they're really inexpensive, and if it gives you peace of mind, then it's well worth it. It would be sad if that was the thing keeping you from exploring and having fun. You also might want the burner phone if you find you want to text or talk to someone you meet but want to keep separate from your personal life. I'm pretty paranoid myself, but I did use my cell # to sign up.

As for FetLife, I created an account. When you do this you have to choose a location for where you are. If it's USA you pick city and state. That also made me paranoid; it wouldn't create an account without doing this. Now, of course you can lie, but that kind of limits some of your resources. You can look up info on any location to find events, munches, and members in that area. When I searched my area, I discovered that they had meetings at a local pub I frequent. There were over 500 people in my area, which surprised me. I went through the list of locals, saw pictures and read bios. And found out there were way too many people I knew on the site...people I work with, neighbors, and even family members. Out of curiosity I looked through them all. Saw and read way more than I wanted to know about people I knew. And immediately deleted my account. It was all too close to home and 'open' for me, although you don't have to include pics of yourself or even bio info but all I could imagine was getting contacted or hit on by an unknowing relative or coworker and having a really awkward situation, even if I was the only one who knew who the other was. So, that's my 2 cents.

Get a burner phone just for any number of purposes...then check out FetLife if you're interested. At least you have some kind of idea what to expect. I think it's a good place to meet people, and I would probably have utilized the services there if I hadn't been so freaked out...Have fun and enjoy your exploration!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
tryn2Bgood
Really Experienced

Quote:
Nothing like that at all. I just don't need my two half meeting ;-) I like having the outward appearance of being a vanilla upstanding citizen while exploring and reveling in my kinks on my terms.
I can understand that. My issue is more of a public persona thing. There are reasons why I have to protect my public reputation...