Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Editor's Forum

Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #101
datedsoul
Experienced

Use/Utilize

sr71plt, thank you for bringing up "use" and "utilize". I think I actually even saw "Utilize the use of..." somewhere on this site. To me, utilize is a systematic, repeated use of a concept or method.

I use a truck to deliver goods. I utilize traffic data, previous purchase amounts, and other business metrics to ensure my delivery business is as efficient as possible.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #102
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressLynn View Post
It doesn't seem like a word as short as OK/okay would be that difficult to get right. But I think back to my first stories and cringe because I didn't know this stuff either.
So true, but isn't the great problem the lack of etymology?

No-one knows where OK came from, so that framing grammar round it is a bit silly. OK cannot have full stops unless someone explains why and OK is onomatopecic so, surely, 'okay' (with or without an opening capital) or 'OK' are equally acceptable.

One can quote editors' preferences, but this hides behind the mystery of this ubiquitous word and, yet again, defines the difference between the spoken and written language.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #103
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin_odalisque View Post
So true, but isn't the great problem the lack of etymology?

No-one knows where OK came from, so that framing grammar round it is a bit silly. OK cannot have full stops unless someone explains why and OK is onomatopecic so, surely, 'okay' (with or without an opening capital) or 'OK' are equally acceptable.

One can quote editors' preferences, but this hides behind the mystery of this ubiquitous word and, yet again, defines the difference between the spoken and written language.
Etymology might tell you what the correct usage would have been when an expression first entered the language. But correct modern usage is a matter of convention, and you don't need etymology for that.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #104
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Using "okay" is fine in writing to your Aunt Hazel and it's certainly fine for posting to Literotica (as long as you are consistent). If you're writing for publishing in the U.S. market, the "okay" will get changed to "OK," because "OK" is the first-listed spelling in Webster's ("okay" isn't even listed on its own in Webster's). That's just the way it is in publishing. They take as much guesswork and style variation out of the mix as possible. When I provide guidance on Literotica, I'll maybe note the acceptible variations in general writing, but I'll usually urge following the U.S. publishing standards for U.S. writers (because what writer wouldn't like to be published in the marketplace--and with as little hassle as possible?).

Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #105
ReiDeBastos
Virgin

I'm waay late to this party, and haven't read through the whole thread, so pardon me if I am repeating some things already mentioned:

One I see time after time on LitE is "shuttered" when "shuddered" is what was meant. Lots of talk of people "shuttering" when they have an orgasm.

Someone already mentioned the waste/waist thing. Phrases like "he grabbed her by the waste" are just wrong on so many levels.

Is there a thread/topic here about OVERUSED expressions? LitE cliches, perhaps?

The eight-inch penis being...a big one, so to speak.

"Her nipples were like pencil erasers" is another.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #106
ReiDeBastos
Virgin

Another things which seems rampant on LitE is... well, the earlier-mentioned "altogether/all together" problem is an example. Others would include "door way" instead of doorway, sometime/some time, etc.

Is there a name for that type of error?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #107
WickedWendyDru
Virgin

Smile

I'm compelled to add "alright/all right" to the list. While I know that in Britain "alright" is gaining in popularity and is generally accepted as being proper, it isn't standard English. I've gone round and round on this with my authors (professionally and volunteer-wise) citing several different sources. I did relent with one who insisted it be used in dialogue because it scanned better, but I'm still not feeling quite right about that. In the end, "alright" is not "all right."

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #108
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWendyDru View Post
I'm compelled to add "alright/all right" to the list. While I know that in Britain "alright" is gaining in popularity and is generally accepted as being proper, it isn't standard English. I've gone round and round on this with my authors (professionally and volunteer-wise) citing several different sources. I did relent with one who insisted it be used in dialogue because it scanned better, but I'm still not feeling quite right about that. In the end, "alright" is not "all right."
SR mentioned all right/alright in the thread titled "Some Spelling Demons" found here.

Pay It Forward ~ by JaeLynn Topper (begins halfway down the page)

My Page
My Blog
FAWC 2 Winner

Kink Bingo
Romance Bingo

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #109
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru

Bump!

Pay It Forward ~ by JaeLynn Topper (begins halfway down the page)

My Page
My Blog
FAWC 2 Winner

Kink Bingo
Romance Bingo

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #110
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Discrete vs discreet

"Discreet" = quiet, surreptitious. "Discrete" = separate, distinct.
Came to check if this one had been covered because I just encountered this in an edit. I have to look it up each time.

Anyone being hit with other unusual ones of late? I had soar/sore the other day.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #111
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Ran into two more of these in edits today: rendering "wares" (goods) when what was intended was "wears" (puts on) and rendering "weary" (tired) when what was intended was "wary" (watch carefully).

Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #112
rexbrookdale
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Came to check if this one had been covered because I just encountered this in an edit. I have to look it up each time.

Anyone being hit with other unusual ones of late? I had soar/sore the other day.

Still getting stuck on 'further' versus 'farther'.

I'm going to make a list, I guess. 'Discrete' vs. 'discreet' will be on it, too.

It's good to have a chance to discuss these foibles.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #113
AsylumSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbrookdale View Post
Still getting stuck on 'further' versus 'farther'.

I'm going to make a list, I guess. 'Discrete' vs. 'discreet' will be on it, too.

It's good to have a chance to discuss these foibles.

How about dialog versus dialogue.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #114
AsylumSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumSeeker View Post
How about dialog versus dialogue.
Never mind. Doesn't matter. Sorry for adding to this thread. Going away now.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #115
rexbrookdale
Experienced

Further on

His thoughts went no further, as by now she was kneeling by his shoulder.

Should the above have instead been written:
His thoughts went no farther, as by now she was kneeling by his shoulder.

And then there's this 'further':
His dick was lodged in the uppermost part of her throat and she tried to push it in further [....]

Should have been:
His dick was lodged in the uppermost part of her throat and she tried to push it in farther [....]

Any thoughts? Maybe in the first sentence, it is okay to have it stay as 'further'?
Dang it. This stuff's not easy.

Last edited by rexbrookdale : 06-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #116
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

"farther" is for measurable distance. So, in these examples, "thoughts/further" and "Dick/farther."

Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #117
AsylumSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressLynn View Post
Bump!
Sorry, don't understand "bump".

Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #118
driphoney
tittivator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumSeeker View Post
You are finally editing a STORY ???????
Ummmm . . . . You still question this?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #119
driphoney
tittivator

Quote:
Using "okay" is fine in writing to your Aunt Hazel and it's certainly fine for posting to Literotica (as long as you are consistent). If you're writing for publishing in the U.S. market, the "okay" will get changed to "OK," because "OK" is the first-listed spelling in Webster's ("okay" isn't even listed on its own in Webster's). That's just the way it is in publishing. They take as much guesswork and style variation out of the mix as possible. When I provide guidance on Literotica, I'll maybe note the acceptible variations in general writing, but I'll usually urge following the U.S. publishing standards for U.S. writers (because what writer wouldn't like to be published in the marketplace--and with as little hassle as possible?).
Wow. Just wow. Feeling so ignorant here. I spent my life writing OK, but after coming here, I thought I must have had it all wrong (with many other grammar mistakes!) and through okay was the acceptable spelling. Im pretty sure Ive had that edited incorrectly.

Live and learn.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #120
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Editors correct my military useage all the time; an AEROPORT is a military airport, MATERIEL is military stuff not in use but available, MESS is a military dining facility, etc. The KITCHEN POLICE are not concerned about china and silverware designs or poor table etiquette.

Copy editors routinely try and make writers look like idgits with the erroneous 'corrections.'

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #121
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

tout: to promote (among other, more remote meanings)

taut: tightly drawn

taunt: ridicule

taught: past and past participle of "teach": educated

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #122
rexbrookdale
Experienced

OK and tv

Quote:
Great to know. Thanks. How about the spelling and capitalization of the word 'tv' in sentences. I've been editing capitalized 'TV' to 'tv'.

I hope that's OK.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #123
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbrookdale View Post
Great to know. Thanks. How about the spelling and capitalization of the word 'tv' in sentences. I've been editing capitalized 'TV' to 'tv'.

I hope that's OK.
Full caps: TV (it's listed in Webster's)

Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #124
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

since: later than

sense: perceive/meaning

And, I guess if you're not really careful, scents: something you smell

Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #125
Ironiclaconic
Really Really Experienced

Using "since" in place of "because" is now one of my worst habits, at least since I laid the lay/lie problem to rest. I usually have to do a find on "since" during the editing process to stamp them all out.