Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #251
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

"She told me that she had a family, are there others like Bookworm with families? Do you think I...er..maybe...we could have that? You don't have to answer that right now..sorry." he stammered out questions unsure if he could ask such a personal question.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #252
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit felt her cheeks redden at Scraps's question. He certainly had no issues with speaking his mind. She smiled nevertheless, even though they hadn't known each other for too long it was really nice to know that he cared for her that way.

"There aren't heaps of ex-derivates down here really. Just a few.... And how much they've done varies. A couple of others do have families, but some weren't interested in relationships. What you get will depend on what you want." She said.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #253
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps could only smile in response it wasn't like him to get nervous asking a question but it just blurted out.

"I did want to ask you why you some like you and your family have to go to the surface and others don't." he asked

Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #254
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

"Ah, I was wondering when you would ask that one." Flit said with a knowing smile. "You are right, not everyone has to go back to the Hub like my parents and I do. Now you are officially one of us I can actually answer this question." Flit was pleased that he hadn't asked earlier, it would have been horrible to have to refuse to answer him.
"The Underground likes to keep tabs on what is going on up there." Flit said, gesturing above their heads. "So there are some of us that stay around up there to sense the mood, to look for clues of what The Government is planning. Before I came along my parents held jobs that were quite deep within the Government, but then they decided to play it safe and now we just work for a large company that is known to play a key role in the military operations of The Government. I work for a different company, somewhere a lot more boring, all we do is organise various materials that ship back and forth between Government production plants. I can get my hands on some useful information, but it really is terribly boring.
"The reason we go up and down each day is so that we can appear to be normal Citizens. We work, we mind our own business, and Intelligence down here fudge some pretty average financial transactions to make it look legitimate."
Flit stopped when they reached Scraps's door, waited for him to open it, then walked across the room without invitation and settled into the chair in front of his desk.
"I hate it. To be perfectly honest I'd rather spend my time down here, and maybe work for the Retrieval or Covert Ops team... The only way that is going to happen, though, is if we fake my death. If we do that I will not be able to go back up again without another alias. So for the moment I am stuck, really." Flit explained.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #255
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

"I see, well maybe you'll get what you want. I know its boring up there Flit but be careful I've witnessed many operations involving the discovery of spies, I would hate if they found out about you." he said with concern. His hand came to the side of her face and he gave her a quick kiss.

Last edited by DungeonsOfDread : 12-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #256
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit smiled and her cheeks flushed at his concern.

"I know all too well what happens when they discover spies." She said, unable to keep the sadness from her voice. "But don't worry, hopefully it wont be long until I get a chance to fake my death. I was thinking a hovercraft crash into some vacant land... I can jump out before it goes down, and then they have an excuse for not being able to find my body. Less mess for everyone."

Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #257
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps couldn't be too sure how serious she was. Knowing her streak for doing crazy things he couldn't put it past her.

"Hopefully nothing quite so dramatic. I'll just be happy as long as you are." he commented.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #258
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit shrugged, the nature of her fake death didn't bother her that much. She just wanted to make sure that there would be no reason for The Government to be suspicious and look into it further. In the end she figured it would be someone from intelligence that decided anyway.

"So Scraps, I was thinking that for tomorrow it might be good if you get a chance to take a look at the east, north-east and north tunnels in the Residence zone. Those will be the ones we'll be patrolling together... Now, I'm not sure if we'll be taking tomorrow night or if the others will be, but I am sure Post-hoc will let you know tomorrow!" Flit explained animatedly, excited by the prospect of doing patrols with him

Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #259
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps shrugged when she mentioned studying, in truth he was sick of studying and with Flit here, alone with him, there was only one thing on his mind.

"I think that can wait till tomorrow." he said dismissively and leaned forward for a gentle yet inviting kiss.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #260
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit melted into Scraps's kiss and wrapped her arms around him gently. It was nice to be kissing him, it made her entire body feel warm and her heart flutter. Before Flit had a chance to really enjoy the contact, there was a knock at Scraps's door. Flit jumped back like a wild animal and ran her fingers through her hair guiltily.

When Scraps opened the door Flit's jaw dropped open.

"What are you doing here?" Tinker asked, giving her daughter a look of disdain as she ignored the tall man in front of her.

"I could ask you the same thing." Flit snapped, eyes narrowing. Tinker merely rolled her eyes.

"You are supposed to be meeting myself and your Father at the exit tunnel in five minutes." Her mother said exasperatedly. Flit made several small jumps around Scraps's clinically clean room and smiled.

"It doesn't take me that long, remember?" Flit asked.

"Scraps!" Tinker ignored her daughter and turned to the ex registered with a look midway between anger and concern that was interesting to see. "I just came here to tell you that you will have a full medical with me tomorrow afternoon before you go about your evening training."

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #261
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps had to stop himself from laughing out loud when Flit displayed her teleportation stunt around the room for her mother. The tone in her mother's voice held a strong tension that ripped through the air like a dagger through the flesh.

"Umm.. thank you Tinker I will be there." he replied nervously even though she didn't seem angry at him he still felt like he was being reprimanded.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #262
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

"Good." Tinker said sharply, nodding at Scraps curtly before glaring at Flit. "Are you coming with me or were you planning on being late?" She asked.

"Well in all honesty I was planning on being just the tiniest bit late, but now you're here I suppose I'd better go." Flit said. She crossed the room and made sure to give Scraps a lingering kiss on the cheek before she followed her mother reluctantly into the tunnels beyond.

~*~

The next three weeks flew by. After the initial dressing down from her mother after she saw Flit in Scraps's room, Flit's parents soon had no choice but to accept their relationship. Every now and again they would still make comments and voice their concerns, but as time went on Flit realised that their concerns, and any she might have had, were unfounded. After Flit had grabbed Scraps's hand in the Mess Room the news that they were together spread around the underground faster than wild fire. The reactions were mixed; some people supported their happiness, others were quick to warn her to be careful, and a handful of people believed that they had the right to openly convey their distaste. Scraps and Flit, however, were quite happy with how things were going.

Just as Post-hoc had suggested, Flit and Scraps were doing alternate nights on patrol. On her off nights Flit would study and read up on everything to do with covert ops and retrievals, as well as information on The Hub and the world beyond, and if she got bored of that she would join in on Scraps's training sessions. Post-hoc had been very tight lipped about the new assignment she would be receiving soon, but Flit didn't mind too much. At the moment she was enjoying the time she was spending with Scraps and was secretly concerned that any change in her duties would take her away from him. She tried not to think too much on it, gathering that it would be better to deal with it when it came up.

Flit and Scrap's relationship had evolved quickly, as most things tended to do in the Underground. The sometimes claustrophobic social atmosphere and the near-constant sense of danger meant that they got to know each other very quickly, and were figuring out their intentions just as fast. Their sexual relationship was doing very well, much to Flit's pleasure. Scraps was a very quick learner, and was now very eager and capable in their liaisons. Scraps was even learning to take control, and to let Flit know what he wanted and liked. There were a few times though, where Flit had to put a stopper on things. There were several occassions where they had gotten carried away in the heat of the moment, their bodies poised and ready to cross the threshold that would truly make them lovers. With Scraps's eager manhood so close to her core, Flit had become distracted by the depth of their situation. Her mind had unwittingly flickered back to what happened when she had gotten this close to Rook, and her body had reared at the thought.

Scraps never seemed to mind her gentle requests to take things a little slower, and Flit was thankful for this. She knew that the time would come when she would feel comfortable to grant him entry into her inner sanctum, but that time was not now.

Hawkeye had been gone the entire three weeks as well, and this had been a source of stress from Flit. Acumen and Post-hoc had been giving her regular updates on the progress of his mission, and she was pleased to know that he was expected back at any time now. It had been good for her to get some space from him though. She didn't even want to imagine what it would be like trying to juggle the early stages of her relationship with Scraps with Hawkeye's long standing friendship.

Flit and Scraps were seated in the Mess Hall when Hawkeye and his group finally returned. Flit could hardly contain her excitement as he came into the room, freshly washed and shaven, but with his hair longer and more unkempt than she had ever seen it.

"Hawkeye!" Flit called out, jumping out of her seat and waving at him enthusiastically. When he saw her his eyes lit up and he raced across the room.

"Flit!" He said, scooping her into a bone-breaking hug and spinning her around.

"Think you were gone long enough?" She asked with a crooked smile. He looked down at her then, a peculiar emotion sparkling in his eyes.

"Too long." He replied. His eyebrows furrowed for a moment, and he seemed confused, but then a sharp sense of clarity blazed deep in his eyes and he grinned at her. "Far too long."

The next thing Flit knew, Hawkeye's lips were pressed against hers and he was holding her tightly against his body. For a second Flit's entire body was frozen in shock. The next moment she jumped free of his arms so that she was standing next to him. His eyes found her quicker than anyone else's would have and he looked hurt and surprised.

"Hawk, you've been gone for around a month...." She begun, trying to ignore the curious looks that all of the people in the Mess were now giving her. She glanced over at Scraps quickly, wanting to see how he was taking the situation.

Last edited by SinisterSpiders : 12-20-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #263
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps very much enjoyed the lingering kiss Flit planted on his lips before she departed. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted her mother glaring at them distastefully. After they departed, Scraps decided that perhaps it was time to get back to that study.

The next day Scraps spent time relaxing until his afternoon appointment with Flit's mother. For some unknown reason he was nervous about the check up, but not because he felt unwell, more because the way her mother felt about him. When he arrived she greeted him as usual and touched his head to assess his condition.

"Well, everything seems to be in order. There is something to note though, we don't get a lot of registered Derivates in our care but I was able to study your control chip a bit further this time. Not only was it designed to limit your abilities but also some of your emotional responses. Nothing to dramatic, but extreme emotional triggers like rage and enjoyment were probably inaccessible to you until now. Other emotions like lust and empathy I believe also fall under this category." she explained. He felt his face flush slightly at the mention of the latter.

"Have you felt any of these feelings lately Scraps." she asked inquisitively.

"Ah, yes, I believe so but I think I have it all under control." he replied as reassuringly as possible. The look on Tinker's expression showed that she was reluctant to believe him.

"Are you sure?" she asked again, this time more forcefully.

"Yes I'm sure." Scraps replied with more confidence. "You don't have to worry about me, or your daughter for that matter." he added. At the mention of her daughter, Tinkers face flashed with anger, then annoyance and finally resignation.

"Well." she said with a sigh. "If you have any problems, any at all you come straight to me. Okay?" she ordered. Scraps could only nod in response, Tinker dismissed him immediately after.

That evening he was summoned by Post-Hoc to conduct his first group training mission. He was introduced to his team members. Patch a post-cognitive, Cogs a microkinetic and Blinky a teleporter. Post-Hoc led them to one of the lower levels into a humungous training room. It was easily the size of a sports stadium with a roof almost as high, how they managed such a feat with their limited resources astounded him.

"Pretty impressive isn't it?" Post-Hoc commented.

"Now for today your task will be retrieval. In the middle of this room will be a small pedestal." Post-Hoc began. He then pushed a series of buttons on a control panel console near the wall. A door on the floor opened and sure enough a small pedestal slowly rose into position.

"The lid of this pedestal will be locked and it will be up to your team to acquire the goods inside. The boundary of today exercise is as marked." he continued. After pressing another set of keys a luminous green grid of lighting illuminated the floor forming a large square at the base of the room. Several more sections of the floor changed and shaped until an area resembling a building florr with separate rooms now stood in front of them. Scraps was not able to follow the positioning of the rooms and so their team would now have to navigate through the maze almost blindly.

"Automated sentries will be set up with weapons on stun. They won't kill you but if you do get hit, it'll sting like hell." He explained.

"You have thirty minutes to complete your task, no weapons or equipment except what you have up here; he gestured toward his head. I expect to see efficiency and teamwork, but most of all teamwork." he reminded them.

"Everyone, as you know this is Scrap's first team mission, he's not used to our procedures and techniques so just be patient with him." Post-Hoc explained.

"Your time starts now." he pressed another button on the console and the exercise began. His team members rushed ahead of him and he had to sprint to keep up, they were certainly fit. Their first obstacle was a gun turret in the entrance hallway, it detected their presence immediately and began firing on their position. Patch, seeing the event before it happened quickly led them into a nearby room with perfect timing to prevent any of them getting hit.

"Okay team." Patch began. First things first we need to get past that gun and then find out how to get to the middle." he spoke authoritatively.

"I can try to knock the turret off to disable it." Scraps suggested.

"No. Too messy." Patch replied "Blinky I want you to teleport Cogs over there to shut that thing down." he ordered. Both Blinky and Cogs nodded. Patch went into his post cognitive haze.

"Now!" he shouted. Blinky quickly grabbed Cogs and teleported her away. Moments later the sounds of the gun fire stopped. Patch and Scraps peered out to see Blinky and Cogs standing next to the sentry with large grins on their face.

"That's how we do it down here surface boy." Patch commented to Scraps.

They continued down the next corridor when Patch stopped them again. His eyes went wide and he charged forward. Scraps stood in his position dumb founded by the sudden change in pace but the other two rushed after him, hot on his heels. Just as they came to the next corner a mobile sentry appeared. They approached it from multiple angles with Blinky distracting it with a quick teleport and Cogs disabling it during that time.

This happened for the next three sentries, Patch guided them to a control panel that indicated the layout of the building floor, in all that time Scraps had done nothing. He felt less like a team member and more of an observer. Still though, he was learning alot along the way. This form of training was completely unlike what he had previously experienced. He was used to one on one Derivate dueling or leading a team of non-Derivate's, but never had he seen the coordination and team work that could be achieved with so many Derivates working together.

It wasn't until they had reach their final goal that trouble arose. They were pinned down in an adjacent room next to the pedestal, they were so close in fact, that they could see the lock box situated on top of it. Despite his previously successful leadership Patch it seemed, could not think their way out.

"Every scenario I go over in my head turns out badly. Sorry guys, this ones a bust." Patch resigned.

"Aww.. we were so close."Cog commented.

"Don't worry guys at least we're all fine, that's important. Lets just get out of here Patch." Blink suggested.

"Yeah you're right guys." Patch agreed. Scraps couldn't believe how easily they were about to give up. Even though their training differed from his own surely they didn't strive to at least try to complete the task. Scraps wasn't a post-cog and couldn't see scenarios in his head like Patch, but he would bet that Patch hadn't taken Scraps's presence into account when he was formulating his plans. Scraps stole a glance around the corner during the break in fire, he took careful note of all the sentries and constructed a mental image in his mind.

When patch gave the order break out and retreat, Scraps instead rushed forward toward the pedestal. He avoided the gun fire and dispatched of the sentries one by one with his telekinetic abilities. Sentry debris went flying around the room haphazardly as Scraps left a path of destruction in his wake. Only once did a stray stun dart almost hit him. When he reached the pedestal not one of the sentries remained standing. He smiled to himself and looked back and the awe struck patch. That's how we do it on the surface he thought to himself. Scraps reached for the lock.

"Wait, Stop!" Patch called out, but it was too late. A large cylindrical shield appeared around Scraps trapping him with the pedestal. The ground below him glowed brightly and he felt a large shock rush through his system.

The electrical current knocked him out and when he came to his team members along with Post-Hoc were standing in a circle around him.

"What were you thinking Scraps. You can't go solo on this anymore, this isn't like how they train you up there, down here we work as a team." Post-Hoc reprimanded him. Scraps could see in the corner of his eye Patch snigger slightly. "And you Patch, I told you to be patient with Scraps not exclude him. Every part of the team is important no matter what their skills, abilities or experience is." Post-Hoc stared directly at Patch. Scraps was happy that he wasn't the only one in trouble although he could now see the danger of his actions. Had that been a real scenario the trapping device would have most likely killed him. "Also I don't care if we are retrieving the most important piece of information that could shut down The Government forever. We do not risk the life of one just for an inanimate object. If we did that, then we would be no better than The Government we seek to overthrow. Remember that." he added disdainfully.

"That's enough for today, I hope you all learned a valuable lesson. Back again tomorrow for more training." Post-Hoc dismissed them.

The next few training missions progressed a lot smoother than the first, Patch apologised for his behavior but Scraps still couldn't shake the feeling that he just didn't like him. Even though they had only completed one task, they had at least survived each one with no casualties. On occasion Flit managed to stop by and assist them which Scraps appreciated greatly, she was experienced and a well versed to lead, even Patch paid attention. Scraps however found it difficult sometimes to focus on what she was saying instead of eyeing her other delectable assets. On many occasions he found himself picturing her naked as she explained in detail their plan of attack.

It wasn't entirely his fault though, for the next three weeks Flit and himself had been spending more and more quality time together. In each of their sexual encounters he found himself becoming more bold and was even suggesting they try new things. Flit had to halt their progress at times because they were coming to close to the final sexual experience. Although Scraps longed to be inside her he understood her need for restraint, she had no intention of rushing their relationship, wanting them to explore each other more before taking the final plunge, so to speak.

Also over the next few weeks Scraps was becoming very familiar with their patrol route and despite a few minor incidents, they went quite well. Everything it seemed was all fitting into place for him. Scraps was making friends and for the first time he was actually enjoying his life. He was enjoying it at least until the dinner of Hawkeye's return

It was an evening like any other, they were all around the table. Scraps and Flit were holding hands and the rest of the group had gotten used to their public displays of affection. When Hawkeye burst in and announced his presence Flit ran to him for a running and jumping hug. Scraps no longer felt jealousy toward the rival male, especially now that he knew Flit was his to keep. That was until Hawkeye kissed her, Scraps nearly burst out of his seat to rescue her but stilled himself quickly. He knew that Flit was more than capable of handling herself in any situation and his was no different. Flit looked to him for guidance but Scraps could only stare angrily at the very confused Hawkeye. Hushed whispers could be heard all around the room but it was Acumen that broke the awkward silence.

"Okay, wow, what a reunion. I'm sure everyone is keen to catch up with Hawkeye but in all seriousness buddy you look like you need another bath and a hair cut." he exclaimed loudly. Hawkeye simply nodded without saying anything further and allowed Acumen to escort him back out. Scraps noted that Hawkeye's eyes never left Flit as he left the room.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #264
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit barely even registered what Acumen said as he put his arm around Hawkeye and led him out of the Mess Hall. For the entire painful trip Hawkeye kept his eyes locked on her and she felt her cheeks going quite red. Her heart was still a flutter and the confusion was still overwhelming. When the door shut behind him and the room filled with the soft buzz of gossip a hundred memories she'd brushed aside flickered through her mind and an overwhelming sense of realisation dawned on her. When she looked around she noticed that there were at least a dozen sets of eyes watching her to see what her next move would be.

"Hey Scraps," Flit said quietly, turning to her red-eyed lover. "Are you finished eating? For some reason I'm not hungry any more." She scanned the crowd and gave the watchers a dirty look.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #265
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps could see that Flit had become quite embarrassed by the whole situation. In truth Scraps really did like Hawkeye, he was cheerful most of the time and one could not help but laugh at his well placed jokes. The situation between him and Flit however was causing a complication that Scraps had never prepared for in his life. Lucky for him, he knew that Flit had already confessed her commit to him and it would be up to her to tell Hawkeye.

"No, I seemed to have lost my appetite as well." he responded. Catching her hint, Scraps stood up from the table and bid the others farewell joining Flit on the other side of the room.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #266
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit waited until she and Scraps were almost half way back to his room before she spoke. That short walk had felt like an eternity in her racing mind. At first she had been shocked that Hawkeye had kissed her, but now she felt just plain foolish. She had just assumed that his naturally flirtatious and good natured personality meant that he was just being friendly. Now, however, she noticed that he had stopped his constant flirting with other women a fair time ago.

Flit did plan to tell Hawkeye about her relationship with Scraps. She would have told him that night after dinner, in fact. However, that idea went out the window when he kissed her. The fact that he had left the room with Acumen meant that he might just hear the news from someone else. It wasn't the way she wanted him to find out and it only made her feel worse. She would have to go and talk to him before she left for the night. She couldn't leave it without at least a quick chat.

Flit shook her head and tried to pull herself out of her musing. She had Scraps walking alongside her silently, and she hadn't been paying him any attention.

"Sorry you had to see that Scraps, I honestly wasn't expecting it." Flit said, turning and giving him what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #267
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

They walked in awkward silence back to his room. Scraps knew that Flit was probably going through a lot in her mind and she probably didn't need him to assess the situation.

When she stopped and apoligised to him he couldn't help but return her reassuring smile.

"I know you weren't Flit, it's okay, I'm okay. I'm certainly no expert on relationships. Everything I have experienced with you since meeting you is all so new. I trust you implicitly, you don't have to worry about me." he soothed.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #268
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Scraps's words warmed Flit and chased away some of the anger that was building at her own stupidity. The fact that he was not angry and that he was willing to trust her made everything just the littlest bit easier.

"I am going to need to talk to him, Scraps. I was going to tell him about us as soon as I got the chance, but I just didn't think he would do that. Now he is probably going to find out from Acumen, I just want to go and apologise. This isn't how things were supposed to happen." Flit said.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #269
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Even though every part of him longed for her to stay with him tonight just to reinforce their commitment to each other. Logic told him that she was right, Hawkeye wasn't just a comrade or a collegue, he was as close to her as family. Even though he never had such a thing he could at least appreciate the sentiment behind caring for another beyond yourself.

"You're right, go to him. He needs to know and he needs to hear it from you. " he replied placing a hand on her face gently.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #270
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit sighed as she leant into his hand. The feel of his skin upon hers was reassuring beyond words.

"Thank you." She whispered, turning to brush her lips against the rough skin of his palm. "Tomorrow after our patrol we can spend some time together properly. Maybe I can sneak to the kitchens and get some dinner so we can take it back to your room and eat it in privacy?" Flit asked. She pressed her lips against, sincerely regretting that she would have to leave him.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #271
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps returned her kiss and watched her jump away. He was most certainly looking forward to tomorrow. With a final sigh Scraps retired to his room and fell into a deep slumber.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #272
SinisterSpiders
Meow

Leah "Flit" Cross

Flit started to teleport towards Hawkeye's room before thinking better of it.He would probably still be talking to Acumen. She realised that it would probably best to see her parents and give them a heads up; she was meant to be meeting them in an hour, and she didn't want them to go and bash down poor Scraps's door if she wasn't going to be there.

When Flit arrived just outside her mother's treatment room, Tinker was just finishing up with one of the others who had been on the mission with Hawkeye. When the woman left, her mother gave her a questioning look.

"Everything okay?" She asked. Flit shook her head.

"Not really, I'm afraid. I am going to need to have a chat to Hawkeye, he just got back." Flit explained, her mother looked at her for a moment before nodding.

"Your Father and I will be in the Mess Hall when you're ready. Please try not to be too late, we have to be up early for work." Her mother said.

The Mess? Flit sighed internally.

"Fine... and just so you don't hear it second hand; Hawkeye kissed my in the Mess hall in front of everyone." Flit said. She didn't give her mother a chance to break through her open-mouthed surprise before teleporting away and towards Hawkeye's room.

~*~

Acumen was gone when Hawkeye opened the door to his room. The look of hurt and anger in his eyes made Flit flinch and made her stomach drop nervously.

"Can I come in please?" She asked quietly, breaking eye contact to escape his intense stare. It took him few tense moments, but eventually Hawkeye stepped back to allow her room.

Flit walked over to his desk and then turned, leaning against it and crossing her arms over her chest as Hawkeye's green eyes settled on her.

"Scraps and I are together." She said. No use beating around the bush. Now that she knew that Hawkeye was interested in her there is nothing that would soften the blow anyway.

"Acumen told me." Hawkeye snapped, looking as though he wanted to say more but restraining himself nevertheless.

"Well, I am sorry you found out that way. I wanted to tell you myself." Flit said, her voice clipped as she tried to deal with the myriad of emotions colliding in her mind.

"Well you have now. Happy?" Hawkeye asked, turning his back on her and walking over to his bed to continue unpacking his clothes.

"Hawkeye, please..." Flit sighed, watching as Hawkeye pretended to be busy. He was taking out his folded clothes and refolding them, then piling them beside the pack.

"Please what, Flit?"

"Don't be like this Hawk, you are my best friend! I didn't know that..." Flit trailed off awkwardly, remembering the way his hot lips had felt against her own.

"Know what, hmm?" Hawkeye asked, throwing a pair of shoes onto the ground a little harder than necessary.

"I didn't know that you..." Trying to say it out loud was even more awkward than thinking it. "Hawkeye you never told me! You just disappear for three weeks and then come back and kiss me like it is the most natural thing in the world!"

"I never told you?" Hawkeye asked. "What, all of the flirting wasn't enough for you to get the hint? All of the time we spent together?"

"Hawkeye we are friends!" Flit stressed. "We are supposed to spend time together. That is what friends do! We've been inseparable since we were in our early teens. You've had your fair share of girlfriends since. I am not telepathic, I don't know what you're feeling."

"Well you are apparently the only one who doesn't know." He told her, "Me, and hell- everyone else down here, were just waiting for you to cotton on."

"Everyone knows we're friends." Flit said.

"No, everyone knows that you're my friend and I am interested in you. Except for you apparently." Hawkeye returned bitterly.

"But you've had other girlfriends, you flirt with other women all the time. How was I to know?" Flit asked defensively.

"Who was my last girlfriend then?" He asked, eyebrows raised, eyes challenging her.

"Quarry." Flit said automatically, she remembered the relationship between the two well. It had gone on for a while, but it met a grizzly end when they realised that they were too similar to be compatible. They were both remote viewers, and their natural competitive natures had become bad for their relationship.

"And how long ago was that?"

"You ended it what... a year ago?" Flit asked, trying to remember when their spectacular end-of-relationship row had occurred.

"Yes. A year ago. And how many people have I turned down since?" He asked her.

"I don't freaking know!" Flit cried, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Two. And I can tell you how many times you've declined the offer of a date since Rook was killed. Four times. Do you want their names or do you get my point?" Hawkeye asked.

Flit wanted to yell at him. She wanted to launch herself across the room and shake some sense into him.

"I didn't ask for you to waltz into the Mess and kiss me!" She said, unable to keep the anger from her voice.

"And you never asked me not to." Hakweye replied.

"Yes, and I've never asked you not to kiss my mother but I don't see you doing that!" Flit snapped.

"Did Scraps have to ask you before he kissed you?" Hawkeye asked.

"That is out of line Hawk and you know it." Flit said, her voice soft with warning; barely above a whisper.

"And what about you hooking up with someone else the minute I am gone? Is that our of line as well?" Hawkeye asked.

"No, not even close to being out of line. We are friends Hawkeye, I can hook up with whoever I want to hook up with!" Flit stood up and began to pace, unable to stand being still any longer, her body was shaking with anger and she had to work it out.

"Why Flit? Why him and not me?" Hawkeye asked, his tone tinged with bitterness.

"I don't know!" Flit said, throwing her arms up in the air as she paced. "You're better of asking me what for the meaning of life."

"Well if you don't know how do you know why you picked him how can you be with him?" Hawkeye asked, green eyes boring into her own.

"Because he makes me so happy Hawk!" Flit said. "Because, for the first time since Rook, I feel like I can be myself again. I feel like I have a future again. Scraps isn't like everyone else down here who knows everything about me and thinks they know what is best for me. He trusts me, he listens to me, he doesn't pretend to know everything about me." As the words poured out of her mouth she realised that she really did know why she wanted Scraps.

"And what do you know about him, then? How do you know you can trust him? You rescued him while he was down her to abduct one of us and you treat him like your knight in shining armor!"

"Maybe I don't know everything about him, and maybe that is a good thing. What I do know is that he is honest; almost to a fault. He is kind, smart and he is an incredibly fast learner."

"And what does that leave for me?" Hawkeye asked, unable to hide the hurt that her words were causing.

"Hawkeye, this isn't a competition." Flit said slowly, trying to make it clear to him. "I am with Scraps. I am sorry that it is so hard for you to understand, and I am sorry that you feel like you need to change that. You are my best friend, and I still want you in my life, but if that is going to happen you're going to need to accept that I am happy now."

Hawkeye turned away from her and she longed to reach out and put her hand on his shoulder. However, she feared that this comfort would complicate things further and put her hands down beside her side.

"When you are ready to talk come and find me. Right now I have to go and I have nothing more to say." Flit said before striding over and tearing his door open.

Flit left Hawkeye behind with a series of rapid blinks that were almost as fast as her racing pulse. By the time she reached her parents she managed to push back the tears that threatened to fall and face them with a nonchalant smile.

"Lets get out of here." She told her mother and father. For once, she was eager to leave the Underground behind. She needed some space.

Last edited by SinisterSpiders : 12-22-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #273
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

The next day Scraps spent time training by himself. He was conducting a defense and avoid scenario with an automated sentry when Acumen walked in. The events of yesterday reentered Scraps's mind and it was enough to distract him from the task. A stray stun dart hit him squarely on the chest stunning him and knocking him to the ground. Acumen stood over his prone form smiling.

"Bit distracted ah?" Acumen asked happily reaching out with his hand. Scraps groaned with the pain and with Acumen's help he slowly eased himself off the floor.

"Something like that." Scraps grudgingly replied.

"Look, I know the whole situation seems crazy and out of control but I spoke to Hawkeye last night. He's not exactly happy about you and Flit especially since he was the last to find out but he needs time to think it over. I think it best to avoid him for the moment." Acumen explained.

"That sounds logical to me. In truth I have no desire to risk any kind of negative interactions." Scraps thought knowing Acumen was reading him.

"It won't be forever. Like I told him, Flit was never with Hawkeye in that way ever. They've always been friends but never lovers." Acumen confirmed.

"Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest I can tell you the real reason I came to see you. Post-Hoc is very pleased with your progress with learning the tunnel system on your patrol route. For tonight he's asked Flit to take you to some of the tunnels further from the residence. In particular the tunnels closer to the surface." Acumen explained. Scraps nodded and inwardly sighed, as much as he was excited by the prospect of furthering his knowledge, it did mean more time studying the tediously boring sewer maps.

"Well I think I'll leave you to it." Acumen bid him farewell, leaving him to finalise his training. Scraps spent the rest of the day training and studying, when Flit arrived back home from the surface he made his way over to her room to greet her.

Last edited by DungeonsOfDread : 12-23-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #274
SinisterSpiders
Meow

The extra time and space hadn't made Flit feel any better. As she and her parents arrived at the Residence to check in for the evening she tried to put the sadness from the previous evening away so that she could look forward to spending some time with Scraps.

"Flit?" Post-hoc's voice was a welcome distraction and she smiled at him.

"I was just about to go and get Scraps for our patrol." She told Post-hoc.

"There's been a change of plans. Cogs and Swipe will take your patrol for the evening and I want you and Scraps to cover theirs. He is getting the hang of everything really quickly. I thought it was about time he got to see some more of where the real action happens. You'll both be on Zone X tonight." He said.

Flit was pleasantly surprised. Zone X was one of their hot zone, a place where everyone knew that meeting some Government agents was more a real risk. Flit hadn't been to X for a while though, and wanted to make sure that she remembered the patrol route correctly. Flit bid Post-hoc farewell and made for her room. She would do a quick bit of study before getting Scraps. Surely he would understand.

~*~

It wasn't long before Flit heard a knock on her door.

"Come in! It's open!" She called out, quickly swiping through various zoomed-in maps. When the door opened to reveal Scraps she put her handheld device down and jumped off the bed eagerly. She crossed the room quickly and gave him a tight hug.

"How are you?" She asked, grabbing his hand and pulling him into her room.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #275
DungeonsOfDread
Dungeon Master

Scraps was very glad to see Flit in such good spirits. He could only imagine the emotional strain of telling her best friend about them. He gratefully received her hug and allowed her to guide him into her room carefully avoiding the land mines of belongings.

"I'm doing very well, Acumen informed me of the change in schedule. " he told her

"I can see he's already told you as well though" Scraps noted looking over her shoulder at the map strewn across her already messy bed.

"Do you mind if i join you?" he asked politely. Getting through their study without touching each other intimately would be a challenge tonight, but surely between the two of them, something was bound to be productive.