Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Story Discussion Circle

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
csmsmith
Virgin
 
csmsmith is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mid-South
Posts: 3
Author's Ripping off Others from this site

"joenchristine's" first two posts have been largely just lifted from one of my stories; "Charlene". WTF! When did the "Report problems with this story" bug dissappear? Webmaster, we should have a way to knock down these troglodites. Smitty, out.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Figment of Darkniciad's imagination
Posts: 727
You're absolutely right. Blatant rip-off with only the names and paragraphing changed.

I just tried the report button, and it seemed to work fine, so I sent in the report from the first story, stating that they all appear to be ripped off, along with a link to your original from '04.

If that doesn't do the trick, you might consider sending a PM to Laurel.

http://forum.literotica.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=7
__________________


Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Pink Slip-pery Slope

02/18/14
*
Nude Day
Beholding Dawn

07/10/14
*
Send in the Clone

08/26/14
*
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,112
Stealing is bad enough, but reposting on the same site is beyond ballsy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Figment of Darkniciad's imagination
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
Stealing is bad enough, but reposting on the same site is beyond ballsy.
May not be the case here, but often the stories are lifted from another site where the author has also posted it, and the jerk thinks they're pulling a fast one, not realizing that the author has different pen names on different sites.
__________________


Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Pink Slip-pery Slope

02/18/14
*
Nude Day
Beholding Dawn

07/10/14
*
Send in the Clone

08/26/14
*
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,970
I've had stolen stories of mine reposted here. Chances are that they pulled them from another story site where I was posting under a different name.

I didn't chance the "report" button, though. I directly PMd Laurel about it and they were taken down and the poster's account was zeroed out.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
rippitydoo
Really Really Experienced
 
rippitydoo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NE OH USA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I've had stolen stories of mine reposted here. Chances are that they pulled them from another story site where I was posting under a different name.

I didn't chance the "report" button, though. I directly PMd Laurel about it and they were taken down and the poster's account was zeroed out.
SOMEBODY STICKY THIS!!!

Maybe it's because it's CHYOO & not the main Lit. site, but I'm shocked either Lau or Man took the proper action with rule-violators. (I have E-mailed & PMed Lau a thousand times about violations by the CHYOO site & Forum Mods, & nothing is ever done... By the Mods; The same people that remove my posts & lie-about/attack me in the CHYOO area then do it in contact with Lau & Man, as well as whatever threads I mention it in.

Nothing special; Someone finally made new site & Forums, but kept same staff, & same lies & punishment OF ME took place!)
__________________
"AND THE TRUTH SHALL...." GET YOUR POSTS DELETED BY THE RULE-VIOLATING MODERATORS

"Why the fuck am I still a moderator?!" -- Torg, every time he signs-in on CHYOO/CHYOA
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Figment of Darkniciad's imagination
Posts: 727
If I don't see the account go down by the morning, I'll drop a PM.
__________________


Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Pink Slip-pery Slope

02/18/14
*
Nude Day
Beholding Dawn

07/10/14
*
Send in the Clone

08/26/14
*
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,112
There was someone last year who was caught doing that. He was a little more creative changing a little bit around, but it was obviously the same story.

The author stolen from started a thread about it and it was apparent the guy was stealing, but for whatever reason he not only kept his account, at least for awhile because I stopped looking and now I can't remember his damn name.

But what was worse was I saw him posting as available to edit for a couple of months after that and let Lynn know(and she was on the original thread about the theft) and said yes it was concerning, but nothing happened.

Maybe I will try to look through old editing threads. Pisses me off I can't come up with the name. Had some type of horror connotation to it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Figment of Darkniciad's imagination
Posts: 727
The stories are down and the account is banned.

The way I read the OP, the "report story" button wasn't even visible. If he/she would like to clarify whether that's accurate, as well as which browser was in use, it could help in tracking down the problem.
__________________


Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Pink Slip-pery Slope

02/18/14
*
Nude Day
Beholding Dawn

07/10/14
*
Send in the Clone

08/26/14
*
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
csmsmith
Virgin
 
csmsmith is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mid-South
Posts: 3
I appreciate the support.

This really had me upset. I only post on Lit, however, the story may have been reposted as others have implied. Thanks again, Smitty
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Mello_SixtyNine
Literotica Guru
 
Mello_SixtyNine's Avatar
 
Mello_SixtyNine is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 2,378
I had my 3 stories stolen by some nimrod on xhamster. Got them to take down my stories but he is still on their site. I did a search on some of his recent story postings and found multiple stolen stories from literotica & other sites. I placed a post on each of the stolen stories informing readers that this was stolen along with a link to the original story. I also emailed xhamster & gave them the links to the other stories but they still have not taken down those other stories.

I have also sent a PM to every friend of his that gave him a positive comment about his stories. I informed them that the author stole most if not all of his stories from other sites.

Here are the links to other literotica stories that were stolen by the douchebag:

http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox
http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox
http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox
http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox
http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox
http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox
http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini...enC#commentBox

Here's the link to the asshole's xhamster page:

http://xhamster.com/user/fotisampini#commentBox

I recommend that you do google searches of your stories to see if they are on other sites.
__________________
____________________________________________________
Check out my Stories (Links Below): The Accidental Text - NEW

Baxter's Plan - Mariella's Secret - 5th Anniversary to Remember
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Figment of Darkniciad's imagination
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello_SixtyNine View Post
I recommend that you do google searches of your stories to see if they are on other sites.
Only if you want to have a heart attack from stress.

And unless your machine has some serious iron-clad malware protection, I wouldn't recommend following those links in Google. A lot of the sites where erotica ends up at are infested with all sorts of nasties.

Your stuff is going to get lifted and posted elsewhere. It's inevitable. Some of those sites don't give a rat's ass what's on there, so long as they make a few pennies of ad revenue off it. Others know damn good and well that what they have is stolen, and also don't care if you call them out on it.

Some few do give a crap, and when they find out stolen material is on their site, or discover that the authors don't appreciate their work being posted without permission, they take it down. That's the exception, rather than the rule.

As I've said a hundred times, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be pissed about it. It doesn't mean that the catharsis of whacking a few moles successfully isn't worth it. Just don't let it become an obsession.
__________________


Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Pink Slip-pery Slope

02/18/14
*
Nude Day
Beholding Dawn

07/10/14
*
Send in the Clone

08/26/14
*
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #13
Mello_SixtyNine
Literotica Guru
 
Mello_SixtyNine's Avatar
 
Mello_SixtyNine is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
Only if you want to have a heart attack from stress.

And unless your machine has some serious iron-clad malware protection, I wouldn't recommend following those links in Google. A lot of the sites where erotica ends up at are infested with all sorts of nasties.

Your stuff is going to get lifted and posted elsewhere. It's inevitable. Some of those sites don't give a rat's ass what's on there, so long as they make a few pennies of ad revenue off it. Others know damn good and well that what they have is stolen, and also don't care if you call them out on it.

Some few do give a crap, and when they find out stolen material is on their site, or discover that the authors don't appreciate their work being posted without permission, they take it down. That's the exception, rather than the rule.

As I've said a hundred times, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be pissed about it. It doesn't mean that the catharsis of whacking a few moles successfully isn't worth it. Just don't let it become an obsession.
I use a mac so I don't have to worry about all that malware crap. Occasionally, I will click that I thought was a pic but instead an exe file will download but since you can't install anything on a mac (especially exe files) without first entering your password, I would just toss the exe file in the trash.

I've only found my stories on xhamster & the site took them down after I emailed them.
__________________
____________________________________________________
Check out my Stories (Links Below): The Accidental Text - NEW

Baxter's Plan - Mariella's Secret - 5th Anniversary to Remember

Last edited by Mello_SixtyNine : 08-12-2014 at 12:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
BettyPoop
Really Really Experienced
 
BettyPoop is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsmith View Post
"joenchristine's" first two posts have been largely just lifted from one of my stories; "Charlene". WTF! When did the "Report problems with this story" bug dissappear? Webmaster, we should have a way to knock down these troglodites. Smitty, out.
The plural of "author" is "authors." "Disappear" is not spelled "dissappear." Good luck with your "writing."
__________________
I'd be more inclined to chat with you if you had some sort of profile up.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Zeb_Carter
...
 
Zeb_Carter's Avatar
 
Zeb_Carter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a state...
Posts: 10,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyPoop View Post
The plural of "author" is "authors." "Disappear" is not spelled "dissappear." Good luck with your "writing."
There's always one grammar/spelling nazi around when you don't really need them.

Hey, just because his browser doesn't have a spell check installed, doesn't mean he can't write, right.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
There's always one grammar/spelling nazi around when you don't really need them.

Hey, just because his browser doesn't have a spell check installed, doesn't mean he can't write, right.
And one with no stories here of their own to show the rest of us how its done. I love when that happens.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
BettyPoop
Really Really Experienced
 
BettyPoop is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 486
[quote=Zeb_Carter;59523386]There's always one grammar/spelling nazi around when you don't really need them.

Hey, just because his browser doesn't have a spell check installed, doesn't mean he can't write, right.[/QUOTE

You guys can't write correctly unless you have spellcheck?
__________________
I'd be more inclined to chat with you if you had some sort of profile up.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #18
BettyPoop
Really Really Experienced
 
BettyPoop is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
There's always one grammar/spelling nazi around when you don't really need them.

Hey, just because his browser doesn't have a spell check installed, doesn't mean he can't write, right.
I think you asked a question. Where's the question mark?
__________________
I'd be more inclined to chat with you if you had some sort of profile up.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
rippitydoo
Really Really Experienced
 
rippitydoo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NE OH USA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyPoop View Post
I think you asked a question. Where's the question mark?
Taking-up space next to the end of your quote in the prior post.
__________________
"AND THE TRUTH SHALL...." GET YOUR POSTS DELETED BY THE RULE-VIOLATING MODERATORS

"Why the fuck am I still a moderator?!" -- Torg, every time he signs-in on CHYOO/CHYOA
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television
 
Hypoxia's Avatar
 
Hypoxia is offline
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: behind the door
Posts: 2,737
Dare I intrude? I think we have different standards for forum posts vs published works. Some forum posters seem to never review their text before posting, leading to weird orthography errors and just plain incomprehensibility. Live with it.
__________________
.
Hypoxia's Literotica postings - "You write well, so STFU and do more writing. Wimp." -JAMESBJOHNSON, bullshitter

A Fall of Stardust (Nude Day / SF) - "Hagh. cha' qab entries vaj contest. 'ej batlh cha' tlhIH suck, ghewmey, jaj Qu'lIj'e' bup chaH." -Anon
Jenny Be Fair 02 (incest-humor) - "Total shit - smug, shit-eating, stupid and up-your-own ass... No stars." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon
Under His Eyes (LW / satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anon

NEW: Like A Hole In The Head (Fetish)
(Summer Lovin' contest) Prickly Pairs (LW)
A Taste of Incest: Lemonade (Incest)
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
Sonichu
Really Experienced
 
Sonichu's Avatar
 
Sonichu is offline
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ruckersville, VA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippitydoo View Post
Taking-up space next to the end of your quote in the prior post.
i see it
__________________
zap To the exTReMe and Just watCH oUt foR tHe Bad man in the piCkLe sUit!

"You cannot only tell I think I'm smart; You can all tell I'm smart." - TJChurch
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
FantasyXY
Really Experienced
 
FantasyXY is offline
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 195
Just how much would one have to change a story that a reasonable reviewer would consider it a new work?

I know as authors we can get pretty sensitive about our work being stolen.

One example I can think of off the top of my head is to compare Under The Dome to The Simpson's Movie. They are different, but largely the same. So much the same that while my wife was watching Under the Dome, I asked her if the guy on the screen was named Cargill...

I'm not saying that stories aren't ripped off regularly on Lit. I'm just saying that there is a point where a rework could be considered a new work.

Also, if Lit wanted to help keep stories from being ripped off they could protect the story content and not allow it to be highlighted or copied (disable right click). I for one wouldn't care for that option very much as I sometimes take parts of stories that I find are really well written and use them as reference material in my own stories. And no, I don't just paste someone's work into my stories. I typically use the cadence of their wording to help pace my own words.
__________________
Real men have X and Y chromosomes - FantasyXY

Link to my stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyXY View Post
Just how much would one have to change a story that a reasonable reviewer would consider it a new work?

I know as authors we can get pretty sensitive about our work being stolen.

One example I can think of off the top of my head is to compare Under The Dome to The Simpson's Movie. They are different, but largely the same. So much the same that while my wife was watching Under the Dome, I asked her if the guy on the screen was named Cargill...

I'm not saying that stories aren't ripped off regularly on Lit. I'm just saying that there is a point where a rework could be considered a new work.

Also, if Lit wanted to help keep stories from being ripped off they could protect the story content and not allow it to be highlighted or copied (disable right click). I for one wouldn't care for that option very much as I sometimes take parts of stories that I find are really well written and use them as reference material in my own stories. And no, I don't just paste someone's work into my stories. I typically use the cadence of their wording to help pace my own words.
You can't copyright concepts and ideas (you can trademark them if you can demonstrate they have commercial value), so the less duplicative it is, the less of a rip off it would be. (Although it's in the view of the beholder whether anything rips off anything else.) You don't get into legal risk until actual plagiarism (duplication of actual image and/or written phrases) shows up.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #24
Zeb_Carter
...
 
Zeb_Carter's Avatar
 
Zeb_Carter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a state...
Posts: 10,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyPoop View Post
You guys can't write correctly unless you have spellcheck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyPoop View Post
I think you asked a question. Where's the question mark?
You're funny. You spelled "spell-check/spell check" ( these are the correct way to spell the word(s)) wrong. Get a life.


I was going to ask whether you ever made typos, but seeing as you can't spell...or was that a typo?...it's irrelevant now.

Last edited by Zeb_Carter : 08-13-2014 at 03:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #25
rippitydoo
Really Really Experienced
 
rippitydoo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NE OH USA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
You're funny. You spelled "spell-check/spell check" ( these are the correct way to spell the word(s)) wrong. Get a life.


I was going to ask whether you ever made typos, but seeing as you can't spell...or was that a typo?...it's irrelevant now.
He/She/They did that intentionally in this thread.

I (who have never even started something I planned to submit to this site) have been in contact with several publishers about getting non-erotic fiction published, & have been printed several times in the local paper (to the point they E-mailed me specifically, asking me to write a piece on local news I didn't even know was going on... I wrote it & they oriented it within a week.)

Online, I have offered to be an editor to several writers in comments to their stories (on the rare occasions I was able to get all the way to the end through the literally zillions of mistakes), & one writer has actually E-mailed me, asking how much of his work I was volunteering to edit.

Point of this?

If you know someone is ripping-off another person's work (& posting it a second time, also here or anywhere else),who cares?! Leave it alone. Even if you are the plagiarizer or the one having it done to them, the response is the same: WC?! LIA. None of you would ever be offered financial gain for this type of work, & even if you were, the quality of the work that does get submitted (& posted) by anyone would likely never leave the office of the person making the offer, & regardless, the paid author would immediately be charged with something for receiving unearned money.
__________________
"AND THE TRUTH SHALL...." GET YOUR POSTS DELETED BY THE RULE-VIOLATING MODERATORS

"Why the fuck am I still a moderator?!" -- Torg, every time he signs-in on CHYOO/CHYOA
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.