Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > General Board

Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #101
_prudence_
knitphomaniac

D'ya know? The first strike of the digger hit right over his body, they found him and then covered him up again. They then carried on digging outwards from the body to find the walls of the Grey Friars monastery, for evidence!

Another thing...this is in Leicester city centre a built up area. To cut a long story, where he was buried somehow managed to kept as a garden to buildings surrounding it and then tarmaced over to make a car park.

He was a very short distance away from never being found.

Last edited by _prudence_ : 02-09-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: bad at judging distance

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #102
deehere
Really Experienced

I am but one of millions of his descendents. Remember, he was the mean English king at the time of Scotland's William Wallace. What an inglorious end for the poor cruel bastard. There'll soon be a ceremony to inter him at Leister Cathedral.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #103
torchthebitch
Soothing jacuzzi bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehere View Post
I am but one of millions of his descendents. Remember, he was the mean English king at the time of Scotland's William Wallace. What an inglorious end for the poor cruel bastard. There'll soon be a ceremony to inter him at Leister Cathedral.
Fuck me! William Wallace died 1305. Richard of Gloucester died 1485 age 32.

I'll bet Longshanks would be surprised.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #104
shoulderblade
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _prudence_ View Post
But was also found right away.

Strange stuff.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #105
Fata Morgana
Deckel Edged

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOrfeo View Post
Is a Fat Rascal a drink, a sandwich, or a lay?
It's an exceptionally fabulous type of scone.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #106
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _prudence_ View Post
D'ya know? The first strike of the digger hit right over his body, they found him and then covered him up again. They then carried on digging outwards from the body to find the walls of the Grey Friars monastery, for evidence!

Another thing...this is in Leicester city centre a built up area. To cut a long story, where he was buried somehow managed to kept as a garden to buildings surrounding it and then tarmaced over to make a car park.

His feet were lost when they built a brick toilet in the 19th Century. A slightly different position for the toilet and he would have been lost forever.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #107
shoulderblade
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
His feet were lost when they built a brick toilet in the 19th Century. A slightly different position for the toilet and he would have been lost forever.
No more of this! It is getting really spooky.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #108
JohnnySavage
scapolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchthebitch View Post
Fuck me! William Wallace died 1305. Richard of Gloucester died 1485 age 32.

I'll bet Longshanks would be surprised.
Edward III was born ~ 7 years after the death of Wallace. Perhaps the descendant above was speaking of reincarnation.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #109
kotori
Fool of Fortune

Why is he being rebut ride in the CofE Leicester Cathedral when he was most assuredly RC? Having died two generations before the schism, he had no connection to the currently established church, he should be burried according to the rites of his faith.

[Really this is just to set Hobbit off on an anti-papist rant.]
"Öthe secret of the Great Stories is they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They donít deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They donít surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your loverís skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as though you donít. In the way that although you know that one day you will die, you live as though you wonít. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesnít. And yet you want to know again."
óArundhati Roy, The God of Small Things, (1997)

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #110
torchthebitch
Soothing jacuzzi bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotori View Post
Why is he being rebut ride in the CofE Leicester Cathedral when he was most assuredly RC? Having died two generations before the schism, he had no connection to the currently established church, he should be burried according to the rites of his faith.

[Really this is just to set Hobbit off on an anti-papist rant.]
You should see the hoops they are going through over this. It was suggested that he should be buried in the Catholic rites but in the CoE cathedral by an Anglican priest.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #111
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
You should see the hoops they are going through over this. It was suggested that he should be buried in the Catholic rites but in the CoE cathedral by an Anglican priest.
He was buried very effectively according to the Church ritual of his time, in an honoured place.

His reburial? It doesn't matter what rites are used as long as the event is appropriately respectful.

Jeanne D'Artois' few

Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #112
KingOrfeo
Literotica Guru

Quote:
He was buried very effectively according to the Church ritual of his time, in an honoured place.
But none too ceremoniously.

-- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

"I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable, but the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. . . . Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there are in any country uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right."

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #113
torchthebitch
Soothing jacuzzi bath

Quote:

His reburial? It doesn't matter what rites are used as long as the event is appropriately respectful.
For him, I believe it would matter. As a rabid right wing Unionist Protestant Ulsterman I think he should be re-interred in the rites of the faith he embraced. We, today don't really appreciate the part their Church played in the lives of the people of the medieval ages.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #114
shoulderblade
Literotica Guru

Quote:
For him, I believe it would matter. As a rabid right wing Unionist Protestant Ulsterman I think he should be re-interred in the rites of the faith he embraced. We, today don't really appreciate the part their Church played in the lives of the people of the medieval ages.
It would be nice to see an "authentic" burial which could probably be done without undue extra cost. It would educational as well as I for one would have almost no idea what would be involved.

Actually I think the grave site is likely to become a tourist attraction so some significant effort may be put into the funeral ceremony.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #115
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOrfeo View Post
But none too ceremoniously.
His body was found in the choir of the church. Whatever the treatment of the body before burial, the grave was in an honoured place.

Also in the link it says that Henry VII paid for a monument over the grave. Whether that was to make people sure that Richard was really dead and gone, or a tribute to the loser? Who knows? What is known is that Henry VIII and his agents destroyed it.

The Catholic Church in England, at Leicester, York, or Westminster, or all three could hold a mass in memory of Richard III. Most monarchs and noblemen of his time had chantry priests whose task it was to hold frequent masses for the souls of departed members of the family.

Jeanne D'Artois' few

Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #116
torchthebitch
Soothing jacuzzi bath

Quote:
His body was found in the choir of the church. Whatever the treatment of the body before burial, the grave was in an honoured place.

Also in the link it says that Henry VII paid for a monument over the grave. Whether that was to make people sure that Richard was really dead and gone, or a tribute to the loser? Who knows? What is known is that Henry VIII and his agents destroyed it.

The Catholic Church in England, at Leicester, York, or Westminster, or all three could hold a mass in memory of Richard III. Most monarchs and noblemen of his time had chantry priests whose task it was to hold frequent masses for the souls of departed members of the family.
I think perhaps Henry VII may have also been buying his entry to heaven by marking Richard's grave. Atoning for sins played a big part in peoples lives. Paying the Church for the chantry priests you mention was a part of the same belief.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #117
hobbit.
Gods rep on Earth.

Quote:
I think perhaps Henry VII may have also been buying his entry to heaven by marking Richard's grave. Atoning for sins played a big part in peoples lives. Paying the Church for the chantry priests you mention was a part of the same belief.
so building a pay and display over a sworn enemies head is a rightious act? fucking awesome

"Hobbit.....the poor man's P_Pman." catfish.

"The Labour Party used to represent millions, now it represents millionaires" - Bob Crow RMT

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND!!!!

PUTING THE ERROR INTO INTERNET tERRORism

http://www.seizetheday.org/music.cfm...D=1&trackID=11

Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #118
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit. View Post
so building a pay and display over a sworn enemies head is a rightious act? fucking awesome
No. That wasn't Henry VII. That was Henry VIII.

As Head of the Church of England whatever he said was right, was right.

(Or the Headsman's axe was waiting)

Jeanne D'Artois' few

Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #119
hobbit.
Gods rep on Earth.

Quote:
No. That wasn't Henry VII. That was Henry VIII.

As Head of the Church of England whatever he said was right, was right.

(Or the Headsman's axe was waiting)
Just to clarify any confussion here comrade, is you dissin henry viii ?

"The Labour Party used to represent millions, now it represents millionaires" - Bob Crow RMT

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND!!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #120
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Just to clarify any confussion here comrade, is you dissin henry viii ?
Last time I played Henry VIII in public, there was a junior school class attending the event. As I passed I was booed for being "a very bad man".

I think they were right.

Jeanne D'Artois' few

Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #121
hobbit.
Gods rep on Earth.

Quote:
Last time I played Henry VIII in public, there was a junior school class attending the event. As I passed I was booed for being "a very bad man".

I think they were right.
not really. you let them live. weak fucker that you are.

That word is ENGLAND!!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #122
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
not really. you let them live. weak fucker that you are.
Unfortunately the headsman following behind me only had a plastic axe. I could have done the job myself, having qualified as a First Class Axeman in the Scouts, but Kings don't perform their own executions.

PS. In my day Boy Scouts carried lethal knives, used felling axes, cut down trees, trapped animals for cooking over an open fire...

O Tempora, O Mores!

Jeanne D'Artois' few

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #123
hobbit.
Gods rep on Earth.

Quote:
Unfortunately the headsman following behind me only had a plastic axe. I could have done the job myself, having qualified as a First Class Axeman in the Scouts, but Kings don't perform their own executions.

PS. In my day Boy Scouts carried lethal knives, used felling axes, cut down trees, trapped animals for cooking over an open fire...

O Tempora, O Mores!
excuses excuses...

since Richard turned up last week his horse has been appearing all over the place aswell.

That word is ENGLAND!!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #124
torchthebitch
Soothing jacuzzi bath

Quote:

O Tempora, O Mores!
So that's where Richard III went wrong. Trying to execute Henry's army for treason.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #125
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
So that's where Richard III went wrong. Trying to execute Henry's army for treason.
Where he went wrong was trying to kill Henry by himself. He should have acted like a general and sent others to do it.

He took a calculated gamble to settle the dispute by removing Henry. If he had succeeded the defection of part of his forces would have been irrelevant. Richard would have been the only King or contender for the crown.

But he lost a battle that started with all the odds in his favour. He had superior numbers, a better position on the battlefield and his opponent had tired troops.

Jeanne D'Artois' few