Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To...

Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
twister947
Literotica Guru

How to Wash Clothes

Various women in my life have prevailed on me to change my ways. To wit: stop washing all of my clothes in one load. This has worked pretty well for 50 years or so, but I'm nothing, if not open-minded.

I just bought a new washer, so in a departure from the norm, and as a signal of my good intentions, I read the manual.

This is impossible. First, sort by color. Sort again by wash temp. Once more by wash cycle. I'm left with many small piles of clothes/loads of wash. After all of that, the sorting begins anew, by desired drying temp and method.

I was right, all along.

John Waters

Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
southern_gal
I HATE cold weather

Ok mister, you ever find yourself at MY house and feel compelled to do my laundry, please don't. We'll fight ya here?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
nfrrdscnnr1
Really Really Experienced

one of those

Clothes washing is one of those tasks MOST difficult for we humans to grasp with any degree of reality. It is somehow wired into our brains that we have to make simple procedures complicated and arcane. As one who repaired washing machines large and small for years, my take is to wash any item whose color is likely to bleed separately the first two or three times. After that, wash everything together, except perhaps VERY greasy and grimey items, in cold water and use about half the recommended amount of soap. Experiment and find what works for you. Or not.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
MeekMe
!(◎_◎;)

I separate by color. Remember, some whites actually can't be bleached so pay attention to that.

After that by water temp.

I don't usually care to separate cycles like gentle and regular. I prefer a full load and just wash the regular with the gentle cycle that way it's all one load but isn't going to mess up the gentle cycle clothes. Also, be careful not to overload your washer or things won't get the agitation needed and you run the risk of messing up your machine.

Take note that some of your clothes may need to avoid fabric softener. Think sports materials.

Don't get me started on the hand wash only stuff. >.< Caring for different fabrics is tough work. Those labels are there so you can get the most out of your clothing.

There are a lot of ways to do it. How does your relationship work?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
twister947
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_gal View Post
Ok mister, you ever find yourself at MY house and feel compelled to do my laundry, please don't. We'll fight ya here?
Okay, just for you, I'll sort the laundry. Top half, first. 'K?

John Waters

Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
southern_gal
I HATE cold weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister947 View Post
Okay, just for you, I'll sort the laundry. Top half, first. 'K?
What makes you think I'm wearing a blouse hmmmm? Maybe I gave up clothes for Lent??

Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Although I was taught to first sort by color, and then by water temp, I pretty much gave that up once I found Shout Color Catchers. With the exception of delicate items that must be separated, whites that must be bleached, or kitchen dishrags/dish towels that I prefer to wash on their own, everything else gets tossed in all together, and the washer is set on normal cycle, with a cold water wash and rinse.

It's a process that saves me quite a bit of time, with the added bonus of being it easy to teach to older elementary/middle school kids, meaning they can take over that chore for themselves!

What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling. ~ Lionel, Maid in Manhattan

Experience is what you get when you didnt get what you wanted. ~ Dr. Randy Pausch

This is LIT-erotica, where the size of your polysyllable matters. - swiped from Velvet Darkness

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who do not believe, no proof is possible.~ Stuart Chase

Swiped from Fire Breeze: my johari window. Curiosity and all that jazz...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding Dirty PMs: Don't bother. Your orgasm is not my problem.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
midwestyankee
Wordy perv

Quote:
What makes you think I'm wearing a blouse hmmmm? Maybe I gave up clothes for Lent??
Pics or it didn't happen.

Please visit Yank's Free Range Turkey Trot Warming Hut and Bondage Barn.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
southern_gal
I HATE cold weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestyankee View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Yeah, me naked on a public forum.......there is only so much humiliation a person can take yanno?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
Jelly
Fifteen!!

I wash towels in one load, and pretty much anything else is fair game to end up together. Maybe really dark items get washed alone the first couple washes. Otherwise, meh.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
talikat
Fan of the HUGE :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrrdscnnr1 View Post
Clothes washing is one of those tasks MOST difficult for we humans to grasp with any degree of reality. It is somehow wired into our brains that we have to make simple procedures complicated and arcane. As one who repaired washing machines large and small for years, my take is to wash any item whose color is likely to bleed separately the first two or three times. After that, wash everything together, except perhaps VERY greasy and grimey items, in cold water and use about half the recommended amount of soap. Experiment and find what works for you. Or not.
^^^ This is me. I've never separated clothing by color. I wash in cold water. Mostly everything is 'pre-washed' these days so I've never had anything bleed. I've never felt the need to use bleach either. Baking soda is easier on garments.

Hubbys shitty plumbing clothes do get washed separately though, blech.

index

Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
southern_gal
I HATE cold weather

Some things I never really expect to talk about on Lit. Laundry is right up there on that list.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
twister947
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Some things I never really expect to talk about on Lit. Laundry is right up there on that list.
The thread on Rainshine's dirty feet should have prepped you for this, and worse. And who could forget her thread on snot?

John Waters

Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
MaryanneB
Experienced

Just want to let you know that I have spent the day being bored and cold (10F outside) and then I found this. Best chuckle I've had in days. Thank you one and all.
And I agree, it is not on the list of subjects I expect on Lit....

Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: soaking in a hot spring in a spruce forest with moose and caribou wandering past under a full moon while Japanese tourists, trying to fulfill the legend of procreating the next Emperor, screw in the underbrush as the Aurora Borealis flicker overhead
Easy solution: All fabrics the same color. Bath and bed linens, clothes, whatever -- simplicity makes life much easier. (That's why Johnny Cash was The Man In Black, so he wouldn't waste time on wardrobe decisions.) If your color is white, wash in hot water. Otherwise, wash in warm water.

Other easy solution: Go naturist. Throw away all those needless clothes. Free yourself.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 AM   #16
query
Literotica Guru

Cotton whites, towels, dishcloths, socks and if applicable underwear all get bleach and hot water. This wears them out faster but they look much better for the time I do get out of them. Plus hygiene.

The rest you sort not by the washing but by the putting away.

Jeans if I have enough are their own batch but can fill in with towels, t-shirts, colored socks (round them ALL up) and colored "draws." When that batch is done, the dry cycle will be short because the jeans are going on the line so that they last longer and shrink less so as to leave ample room for my endowment. The T-shirts and socks and draws all finish in the drier quickly because it is now a 1/2 a load. I lay the shirts flat in a stack while hot so they are less wrinkled. Fold them once they are cool.

Dress pants and button-downs get washed next and will be in the dryer for 1/2 a cycle or so. I catch them as they dry. If the wrinkles are out regardless of whether they are dry they go on a hanger, if not they get tossed back in... so the lightest fabrics get hung first and are least worn by the dryer and heavier come out last. all are hung and spaced in the closet to finish drying. No ironing ever. I was in charge of ironing for nine people growing up. I used to employ that method, then crease the sleeves and the pants.

Done.

*Anything with a stain going in the washer does not go in the dryer. It is hung to dry and inspected before it ever goes in a dryer. I pretreat with some laundry detergent from the portion about to be thrown into the load.

Those laundry detergent caps are designed to make you use twice the recommended amount. Look for the line. I have hard water, I use too much, probably.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
subwannabe
Literotica Guru

I never understood this either. With few exceptions you can get buy with just a few loads. I actually do my own laundry because I can't stand the way the women in my life do it. I do a load of all pants, one of all shirts, and one of everything else. This makes it much easier to hang and put away also. My first wife was ridiculous. She would wait until absolutely everything was dirty and then she would separate out about 20 loads, one white, one red, one brown, one black, one blue, one green, one yellow, one purple, well you get the picture. Then should would complain about how much she hated doing laundry. No dah.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
GiggLeGasm
June Cleaver Wannabe

Location: Clevelandish, Ohio... A great place to live; I wouldn't want to vacation here.
I'll admit that laundry can be a deal breaker.
Wash like fabrics together.
Anything where the color may run gets washed first in vinegar.
As a general rule, I use wool balls in the dryer instead of fabric softener.
I'll sometimes use liquid fabric softener for khakis or jeans.
No fabric softener in towels ever (or they won't absorb well)

If this makes it so I am not bed worthy, so be it. These are my terms.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
stickygirl
Smile..it confuses people

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister947 View Post
I just bought a new washer, so in a departure from the norm, and as a signal of my good intentions, I read the manual.
^^^ What kind of man are you??

I'd recommend buying by wash type. Nearly everything I own is cotton or polycotton = 40c ( 100F in old money ). If whites look like they need it they'll get a hotter wash. Non-bio detergent, no softener but occasionally white vinegar in final rinse.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #20
desertslave
Amateur Painslut

Underwear, bras and socks...warm/cold load, 2nd rinse

Light load, stuff that won't bleed, cold/cold load

Dark load, stuff that might bleed, cold/cold load

Anything that might shrink in the dryer (Imported cotton, rayon) in a lingerie bag, no dryer. Everything else in the dryer on permanent press. Easy peasy!

Sexiness wears thin after a while, and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a treat! ~~Joanne Woodward

Please enjoy my stories