Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

The Doorbell Rang

THE DOORBELL RANG by Rex Stout

I'm not a Nero Wolfe fan and expected to diss this effort tho almost every reader scores it 5 stars.

The story: A writer investigating the FBI is murdered and his material is stolen. The FBI then stalks and harasses the writer's most loyal fan and patron. She then hires Nero Wolfe to learn what's up with the murder and the FBI, the NYC Police haven't a clue, and Washington twists arms and titties against Wolfe; Hoover wants Wolfe's PI license and head.

Wolfe puts Archie Goodwin to work. Archie soon learns 3 FBI agents paid the victim a visit about the time he was shot, they took the book manuscript and notes, and they took the bullet that killed him. No pistol was found in the victim's apartment, and he had a permit.

Most of the book is about FBI harassment and Hoover's illicit pressure on all who mattered. President Johnson used Hoover to change hearts and minds.

The plot is perfect and flawless and works like a watch from start to finish. Wolfe is tireless and smarter than the average bear but no magic miracle worker. Some of his ideas and guesses work, some don't. To solve the murder and resolve the problem with Hoover he has to tiptoe down a path of criminal acts, snares, and traps like when Archie finds the pistol in a place he and it shouldn't be. What to do! Lotsa risk taking. The story is fulla puzzles and mysteries and suspense and tight corners. All under the eyes of the police and FBI. It's truly excellent and impressive, and the fruit doesn't fall off the tree.

What I dislike is what I always dislike about Nero Wolfe. His orchids and epicurean cuisine. And Archie Goodwin is a fool for milk and carrots. Given a choice of cold milk and hot pussy the milk wins every time. Its incredible when a police detective uses a quart of milk to get a confession and deal from Archie. I score it 4 stars for the bullshit.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
49greg
Literotica Guru

I've read a few Wolfe short stories, but not "The Doorbell Rang". However, I have watched the A&E production of it. In fact my wife got the DVD set for us for Christmas.

I enjoy all of the stories A&E did in this series and the Doorbell is the best. A great story, don't know how close they stuck to the original plot, but this series has great writing and great casting. It's good enough that we re-watch it every few months.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49greg View Post
I've read a few Wolfe short stories, but not "The Doorbell Rang". However, I have watched the A&E production of it. In fact my wife got the DVD set for us for Christmas.

I enjoy all of the stories A&E did in this series and the Doorbell is the best. A great story, don't know how close they stuck to the original plot, but this series has great writing and great casting. It's good enough that we re-watch it every few months.
I enjoyed the book tho I don't generally like Rex Stout. Like I posted, most readers rate it high.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
49greg
Literotica Guru

Another thing about 'Doorbell' was in the A&E TV movie is when the woman who did the murder is in Wolfe's basement and asks for a Sidecar. "I'll have a sidecar please."

Just based on that I looked up what a sidecar is, and it has since become my wife's favorite when we mix cocktails at home. I like them too. Nice, especially when good VSOP cognac is used. Expensive but good.

Not many places in small town prairie America know what they are or make them.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49greg View Post
Another thing about 'Doorbell' was in the A&E TV movie is when the woman who did the murder is in Wolfe's basement and asks for a Sidecar. "I'll have a sidecar please."

Just based on that I looked up what a sidecar is, and it has since become my wife's favorite when we mix cocktails at home. I like them too. Nice, especially when good VSOP cognac is used. Expensive but good.

Not many places in small town prairie America know what they are or make them.
Its not in the book. Raymond Burr woulda made a good Nero Wolfe.