Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
LaRascasse
I dream, therefore I am
 
LaRascasse's Avatar
 
LaRascasse is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wasteland
Posts: 1,288
Lit writer's agony

Is it a trend with readers to favorite a story but not vote on it?

I have a story which receives a couple of favorites every week (currently over a 100 favs), but the damn score hasn't changed in ages! It's infinitely more frustrating because the story, as it stands, is on the cusp of the Hall of Fame for its category. If that damn score increases the tiniest bit (even 0.01) I will be in the middle of the Hall of Fame (where I was briefly before falling off).

Also, I can't find the story if I expand the Hall of Fame list. So it's either on the list published on the main hub page or not at all apparently.

[/rant]
__________________
My stories in case you are interested. Offbeat, unconventional and just a bit dark. Just a bit, I swear


In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,011
I have observed that too. Evidently readers aren't as invested in voting and rating as the authors are. They likely see favoriting or sending a nice private e-mail as more supportive than voting without realizing they can do both.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Daniel_Matthews
Experienced
 
Daniel_Matthews is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: None of your business
Posts: 45
The 5* fairy is here!

Just gimme the link to your story.
__________________
D'uh
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia (occasionally USA)
Posts: 2,954
I had one reader left glowing comments on all three of my stories and said they were voting 5 stars, but there was no change in the number of votes - not sure what happened there.

The top-25 list on the main hub seems to be updated regularly. At least for Lesbian, the top-50 list you get when you click through to "more Hall of Fame" has not updated in a long time (ask me how I know...) so several of mine are languishing in invisibility waiting for that extra .01 to make it back onto the category hub.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,243
There is always the chance that not everyone who favs it reads it. They bookmark a bunch of stories then never get around to them.

But the voting thing bugs me a little as well, It takes a second. Takes us however long to write a story for free to entertain them, but many won't vote.

I have one poem here and it has a handful of votes(so easy to tell if it gets a new one) I had someone PM me last night raving about how well I captured what the poem is about, no vote.

As for the top list? I don't know what category your in, but incest has been broke awhile and Lesbian is partially broken. I do notice the part of the top list they show on the category hub does not match the full list when you click "see more hall of fame stories"

And you may be better off with it not there, because when it gets there your next frustration will be it getting trolled because you took the spot of some trolls favorite author. Happened to me all the time with SWB, I would creep into the top three then get bombed back down. Now the list does not work at all.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,998
Readers vote.

I notice how my scores creep up long after you assholes ding and forget about them.

So fuck you.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 28,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
Readers vote.

I notice how my scores creep up long after you assholes ding and forget about them.

So fuck you.
NO one here is dinging your stories. Like me, most people in the AH have never read one of your stories. Most people really don't care what you write. So get over it.
__________________
New Story: A Hot Summer Night 08/21/14 Text with Audio Summer Lovin' Contest

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
NO one here is dinging your stories. Like me, most people in the AH have never read one of your stories. Most people really don't care what you write. So get over it.
Trolls ding stories.

I caught the attention of someone who in the span of a few minutes left nasty comments on a dozen stories calling ke a talentless faggot and sick sack of shit. I reported one and lauel wiped them out and said this was a seriel troll she has to deal with every week
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
NO one here is dinging your stories. Like me, most people in the AH have never read one of your stories. Most people really don't care what you write. So get over it.
You know what your Muslim pals say? THROW A ROCK INTO A PACK OF AH FAGGOTS AND THE ONE THAT GETS HIT, HOWLS.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
litmlove
Experienced
 
litmlove is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRascasse View Post
Is it a trend with readers to favorite a story but not vote on it?

I have a story which receives a couple of favorites every week (currently over a 100 favs), but the damn score hasn't changed in ages! It's infinitely more frustrating because the story, as it stands, is on the cusp of the Hall of Fame for its category. If that damn score increases the tiniest bit (even 0.01) I will be in the middle of the Hall of Fame (where I was briefly before falling off).

Also, I can't find the story if I expand the Hall of Fame list. So it's either on the list published on the main hub page or not at all apparently.

[/rant]
I have a few theories. Did I mention they are only theories?

1 - The Hall of Fame list is bugged and doesn't update as it should.

2 - The score of the story has been archived. Meaning the score of your story will be fixed after a certain period of time to save server space. The server discards all polling information, ie. everyone who voted on the story, leaving only a static score. All subsequent voting is illusionary in effect.

3 - Your story has already approached the long-term expected score from Literotica readers. The few extra votes you have received, besides being insignificant to the vast amount of votes you have already received, only tend to confirm the score you have already received.

4 - There is a conspiracy to deny LaRascasse recognition. The plan is for LaRascasse to only gain post-humous recognition so that LaRascasse will continue toiling away unspoilt by fame.

Last edited by litmlove : 09-29-2014 at 09:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by litmlove View Post
I have a few theories. Did I mention they are only theories?

1 - The Hall of Fame list is bugged and doesn't update as it should.

2 - The score of the story has been archived. Meaning the score of your story will be fixed after a certain period of time to save server space. The server discards all polling information, ie. everyone who voted on the story, leaving only a static score. All subsequent voting is illusionary in effect.

3 - Your story has already approached the long-term expected score from Literotica readers. The few extra votes you have received, besides being insignificant to the vast amount of votes you have already received, only tend to confirm the score you have already received.

4 - There is a conspiracy to deny LaRascasse recognition. The plan is for LaRascasse to only gain post-humous recognition so that LaRascasse will continue toiling away unspoilt by fame.
You confuse THEORY with HYPOTHESIS.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
Trolls ding stories.

I caught the attention of someone who in the span of a few minutes left nasty comments on a dozen stories calling ke a talentless faggot and sick sack of shit. I reported one and lauel wiped them out and said this was a seriel troll she has to deal with every week
But . . . but . . . I thought you prided yourself in not erasing any of these comments. And yet not just erasing the comments yourself, you went to Laurel to, I guess, get the votes erased too?

What irritates me, although I understand it's just what the readers are going to do, is the favoriting just as a form of indexing the stories to maybe read--and then later unfavoriting them all.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
But . . . but . . . I thought you prided yourself in not erasing any of these comments. And yet not just erasing the comments yourself, you went to Laurel to, I guess, get the votes erased too?

What irritates me, although I understand it's just what the readers are going to do, is the favoriting just as a form of indexing the stories to maybe read--and then later unfavoriting them all.
Jack Daniels does all of LCs dirty work.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
But . . . but . . . I thought you prided yourself in not erasing any of these comments. And yet not just erasing the comments yourself, you went to Laurel to, I guess, get the votes erased too?

What irritates me, although I understand it's just what the readers are going to do, is the favoriting just as a form of indexing the stories to maybe read--and then later unfavoriting them all.
I reported them because the site has been removing them on their own anyway. Anything with faggot and nigger have been targeted.

And the reason I pmd her was to tell her who I felt it was. She said it wasn't but I don't see how as supposedly they don't store ip addresses.

Eta in my pm I told her I was leaving them there and she could delete them if she chose. I didn't remove them and wouldn't have.

Last edited by lovecraft68 : 09-29-2014 at 12:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
HeyAll
Literotica Guru
 
HeyAll is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,925
I think it's perfectly understandable for reader's not to vote.

I listen to music on youtube all the time, and watch videos, and I've never voted or left a comment.

But at the same time, I think it could be like a habbit. I think if more authors left a small comment saying "please vote below," and the reader who has never voted loved the story, then votes, then that reader will likely continue voting on a regular basis.

Also, I've also seen a new story of mine get favorited, but when I checked the vote total, there was no change. As mentioned, it could have been someone bookmarking the story. Or it could be that the person voted earlier and decided to come back and favorite it. Or, of course, the person doesn't vote.
__________________
Corporate Whore- Abbey becomes anally submissive to her boss.
Object of Mom's Affection- Jill gives her son a unique gift.

In a Room Full of People- Catherine is hired to appear nude for an upscale party.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,998
I agree with PILOT, readers FAV to bookmark.

But my scores do creep up with time. A lot depends on when he works.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
loquere
I'm Batman
 
loquere is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Gotham City, Gotham State USA
Posts: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I have observed that too. Evidently readers aren't as invested in voting and rating as the authors are. They likely see favoriting or sending a nice private e-mail as more supportive than voting without realizing they can do both.
I'm more likely to vote than comment. If I see a story I don't like I'd rather not vote or comment.

If it's a really good story I sing it's praises hard.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
loquere
I'm Batman
 
loquere is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Gotham City, Gotham State USA
Posts: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRascasse View Post
Is it a trend with readers to favorite a story but not vote on it?

I have a story which receives a couple of favorites every week (currently over a 100 favs), but the damn score hasn't changed in ages! It's infinitely more frustrating because the story, as it stands, is on the cusp of the Hall of Fame for its category. If that damn score increases the tiniest bit (even 0.01) I will be in the middle of the Hall of Fame (where I was briefly before falling off).

Also, I can't find the story if I expand the Hall of Fame list. So it's either on the list published on the main hub page or not at all apparently.

[/rant]
Post the link.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
redzinger
Really Experienced
 
redzinger is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 260
There's a few stories I've favourited as bookmarks, as I liked the premise but wasn't overly fond of the execution. Some have subsequently been edited and improved.

I try to vote as a rule, but if I'm torn between two ratings, I may not. I've returned to stories in a different mood and been less or more able to appreciate them, so voted.
__________________
I like rugby, and rugby men. Can you tell? http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

My début novel, Playing for Keeps: ***CURRENTLY FREE FROM 24th Sept to 28th Sept***
http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Keeps-.../dp/B00N85LP8K
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Keep.../dp/B00N85LP8K

Twitter: @Toria_Lyons
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzinger View Post
There's a few stories I've favourited as bookmarks, as I liked the premise but wasn't overly fond of the execution. Some have subsequently been edited and improved.

I try to vote as a rule, but if I'm torn between two ratings, I may not. I've returned to stories in a different mood and been less or more able to appreciate them, so voted.
So mostly you stay confused.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #21
redzinger
Really Experienced
 
redzinger is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
So mostly you stay confused.
Yep, that's a semi-permanent state of affairs for me.
__________________
I like rugby, and rugby men. Can you tell? http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

My début novel, Playing for Keeps: ***CURRENTLY FREE FROM 24th Sept to 28th Sept***
http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Keeps-.../dp/B00N85LP8K
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Keep.../dp/B00N85LP8K

Twitter: @Toria_Lyons
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #22
TimothyM
Really Really Experienced
 
TimothyM is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 405
I see people favorite my stories or even me as an author and not leave a single vote. And I know they don't, because the number of votes doesn't change (nor does the score of course). I don't care about hall of fame and so on, but I do wonder about the lack of voting. It's frustrating and discourages me from posting more stories here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,243
Something that's always seemed strange-and I'm sure its happened to all of us-is you'll check your page and see a bunch of hearts and then note one person faved a dozen of your stories, at that point why not just bookmark the author?

I once had someone go through the trouble of bookmarking SWB 1-39. They clicked on every story and clicked fav. they could have faved me in a couple of seconds.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
karaline
Experienced
 
karaline is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 31
personally I favourite stories for one of two reasons, either i want to book mark a story to return to later, i sometimes find this easier than favouriting a writer. i often look at the list of my faves and think Who are all these people? if i see a story title i can usually recall what the story's about. i never bother favouring more than one story by the same author, i;d just favourite the author. so if i favourite a story for this reason i usually don't vote because i haven't usually read it at that point.

my other reason is if i want to support a new author I do it to 'signal boost' a new story. if i read a story i like thats only just been published and its still on the new stories list the another reader scanning down the list may base their choice of what to read on the number of favourites. (I don't think you can see how many favourites a story has had on any other of the other lists) I normally vote too when I do this.

I hope that makes sense, its kind of past my bedtime

Last edited by karaline : 09-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #25
stlgoddessfreya
Really Experienced
 
stlgoddessfreya's Avatar
 
stlgoddessfreya is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: In Her Heaven
Posts: 210
It may also be that someone who leaves a positive comment, faves a story, or faves you as an author votes you five stars more than once from the same IP address and all of them get wiped.

I tried an experiment with my latest story on voting. All of me previous stories, no matter which category, and having anywhere from 2,700 views to 87,000 views, have a rate of votes to views very close to .5%. Now, I have a small sample size, comparatively, so I'd be curious to see what someone with a greater number of stories sees in theirs. In the last FAWC, Tx_Tall_Tales said he thought the reason his stories got so many votes was not that he has a legendary following or that he's a really classy guy, but because he includes a note at the end of all his stories asking people to vote if they liked it. I tried it with my most recent story and have consistently had a 2.5-3% voting rate since it posted on Friday. That may be a function of the category, but as far as I can tell that's an outlier for number of votes on a story for the category for that week and I've never written in that category before. I'm also not going to delude myself into thinking I have a loyal pack of readers looking out for my stuff, to either love it or dog it.
__________________
New Stories!

A Southern belle and a Yankee soldier save each other:

"An Account for A Bullet"
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.