Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 01-29-2015, 03:05 AM   #1
redzinger
Literotica Guru

Making notes while on the move

So, you're out food shopping in town and inspiration hits.

Or you overhear a great line from a random stranger in a bar.

Not having your preferred writing tools (PC, laptop, etc) available, how do you remember/write down those nuggets?

I used to use pen & paper when I carried a handbag. Nowadays, I'm more minimal so was thinking of installing an app on my phone. I've tried a couple in the past though and not continued to use them. I've even used the text facility, then forgotten the notes were there (alcohol, unsurprisingly, was involved) until months later.

Is there anything that you'd recommend which works for you?

My début novel, Playing for Keeps on Amazon
FREE Harford Scarlet Prologue, Playing Up - on Smashwords or Playing Up - on Amazon

Twitter: @Toria_Lyons Blog: www.torialyons.co.uk

Old 01-29-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
Ardent1
Really Experienced

You likely have a voice recorder app on your phone already. Just don't use it while driving. They'll still bust you for using your phone while driving.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #3
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

These days I spend most of my time within 100 feet of my home office and computers. If I'm out, I just have to try to remember snatches of it and my subconscious manages to hang on to most of the rest.

I can weave a pretty intricate erotic story in my mind and retain most of it in the space of a sermon in church.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

I carry a small digital voice recorder. One click, talk, and the notes are there. Ya get some funny looks on occasions though.

New Story: Vera 01/22/15 Group Valentines Day Contest

New Story: The Photographer 12/06/14 Romance

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
I carry a small digital voice recorder. One click, talk, and the notes are there. Ya get some funny looks on occasions though.
Ditto that. I started using a Sony reporter's cassette recorder, roughly the size of a fat cig pack, about 20 years ago, specifically for recording brainbombs and evesdropping while on a cross-continent drive. I wore out two of those before I switched to a smaller Olympus microcassette unit, then a couple of MP3 players that doubled as digital voice recorders, and now an Olympus audio recorder not much bigger than a fat pen. Walking or biking or riding or biking, my one-handed idea machine is there for songs, stories, essays, letters, shopping/death lists, etc. I tried using voice recognition software but I end up transcribing everything anyway.

Of course, if I've got to be quiet, there's always pencil and notepad.

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Recent incestuous tastes: Pumpkin & Candy, Spirits, Turkey (Dad) (Mom), Kumquat
The Book of Ruth: Doing Ruth 03 finishes the episode. Just one episode more, I hope.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
CharleneBarr
Really Experienced

Many of my ideas come just before falling asleep at night - I guess that's when your brain starts to go off at all kinds of tangents, and I've thought, 'wow, that's marvelous' - but then the option is either to get out of bed and type it in or say to myself, 'tomorrow...zzzzzzz' and then buggered if I can think what the idea was next morning.
So any ideas are welcome?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
shutterpsb
Virgin

I keep telling myself to buy a voice recorder, but for the time being I just rely on my very unreliable memory.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
PennLady
Literotica Guru

If you have a cell phone, a lot of them have some kind of note or memo function, under the tool menu, even if you don't have a smart phone.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

I write things down at work sometimes. There's always paper hanging around, and a pen in my pocket. My handwriting is hard to read anyway, ( Left handed, and teachers tried until the 4th grade to make me write right handed, so I lost all those crucial years of developing penmanship. I'm also impatient and write at Doctor speed ) but if there's something I don't want anyone else to see over my shoulder, I write it out in a pictographic code I came up with eons ago.

Most of the time when an idea hits me there, I end up mulling it over all day long. I usually don't lose anything before getting home to my normal tools.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Nude Day
Beholding Dawn

07/10/14
Send in the Clone

08/26/14
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14
One Incredible Costume

10/30/14

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
These days I spend most of my time within 100 feet of my home office and computers. If I'm out, I just have to try to remember the advice my doctor gave me, take the medicaments and my subconscious manages to hang on to most of the rest.

I can weave a pretty intricate erotic story in my mind and retain most of it in the space of a sermon in church.
Religion clearly isn't your bag.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleneBarr View Post
Many of my ideas come just before falling asleep at night - I guess that's when your brain starts to go off at all kinds of tangents, and I've thought, 'wow, that's marvelous' - but then the option is either to get out of bed and type it in or say to myself, 'tomorrow...zzzzzzz' and then buggered if I can think what the idea was next morning.
More often than not, I get up and type it in. Ideas like that usually are on stories I'm currently writing or reviewing. Most of my new ideas come while I'm waking up--then it's "too the computer" when I get up.

I don't really think of a lost plot point as a lost baby or anything. Others will come along. If it doesn't resonate enough to stick by the time I get it in a file (and most often with me, it's not an isolated thought; it keeps building until I can get to the computer), it's no great loss.

As far as cell phones, mine only makes calls, and I don't think I've made a call on it in over a year.

Last edited by sr71plt : 01-29-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin_odalisque View Post
Religion clearly isn't your bag.
I prefer to think of it as the current minister's sermons aren't a revelation.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
49greg
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleneBarr View Post
That's been my experience as well. Sometimes I'm in a similar zone as I wake up, and just lay there going in and out of dreams that seem to be continuations of what I was thinking about. I used to think I was awake the whole time, but on several occasions my wife has told me I've been snoring the whole time.

Sometimes I've even retained some of the waking ideas.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
soflabbwlvr
Prescription Strength

If I don't write it down, I'll probably lose it. When possible, I use the memo app on my phone to save them. If I can get to a computer other than my own, I'll send an email to myself. If those options aren't available, the ideas are usually forgotten. I don't get upset, but if it relates to a story I'm already writing, then I do get frustrated.

Black Cock Friday

Deep Undercover

Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

I email myself. (Failing that, is it possible to text yourself? I've never tried.)
New for the 2014 Halloween contest: Red Callum, Sweet Cate. Cate promises to sleep with Callum if he'll prove his courage by spending Halloween in the old crypt... how could this possibly be a bad idea? Please read and vote!

Stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
E-books: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Bramblethorn
Blog: http://bramblethorn.dreamwidth.org/
Avatar pic borrowed from http://www.oglaf.com with permission.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #16
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
I email myself. (Failing that, is it possible to text yourself? I've never tried.)
I just tried it. Yes you can.

But if you have a phone that can text, you likely have a note or memo app which would be just as easy to use.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

I use no phone smarter than me because 1) my ego won't allow it and 2) cell coverage sucks in my remote mountain locale, and my cheap, dumb Tracfone works well enough the rare times I'm downhill in what passes for civilization.

Even if the Tracfone had a recording button/app, I'd still use my standalone Olympus VN-7200 digital voice recorder because 1) battery life is 86 hours (recording capacity up to 1100 hours) and 2) it's literally a one-hand two-button jig to operate. It's also quite stealthy and useful for recording conversations with nobody else knowing, heh heh.

I have a Vizio 8-inch Android tablet and a thin Bluetooth keyboard, and I just don't do text with them. That combo is more a backup than anything else; I do my writing on a 12.5-inch ThinkPad compact that only bulks slightly greater than the tablet+keyboard combo. I *can* use the tablet's soft keyboard but it's a bloody nuisance because I really am a fast touch-typist and anything but a real keyboard is just so fucking *tedious*. I hate tedium; it makes me want to get drunk.

So I dictate notes to myself when I'm on the move, and scribble in my notepad when I need be quiet (and shred those pages later), and mostly work on my ThinkPad with my LIT files stored in the DropBox cloud, and know that I can use the tablet+keyboard if everything else goes to shit. That's about enough for me.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #18
desertslave
Amateur Painslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
If you have a cell phone, a lot of them have some kind of note or memo function, under the tool menu, even if you don't have a smart phone.
Yup, depending on how much I need to tell myself I either use my sticky note app or a voice memo, or Evernote. I don't think I could survive without Evernote! It's where most of my brain lives, these days (the rest is in Dropbox).