Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old Today, 03:30 PM   #1
tomlitilia
Virgin

Using "slut" and "slutty" in a positive way?

I've fairly recently published a couple of stories about a woman who discovers and explores her slutty side, particularly with a fascination with facials. In this, my aim has been to stay clear of any type of degradation because I find that an extreme turn-off myself. I know it's a fine line to stay within given the topic, which is pretty much why I wanted to write it. Whether I've completely succeeded or not, I can't tell, but I've tried to make it very clear that the actions and the use of such words are all happening on the heroine's own terms.

But as I'm writing the third part, I get a bit curios about how readers feel about the word “slut”. I've tried to use it as kind of positive yet naughty word, as in the sense of a girl who likes the sultry side of sex, which most certainly is not a a bad thing. But words can be powerful and have different connotations to different people.

So what do you think, can “slut” and “slutty” be used in a fun way, or does it immediately evoke an association with degrading things?

Old Today, 04:00 PM   #2
allamagione
Really Experienced

Sure, it can be used in a fun way without being degrading. And it can be used in a degrading way and still be fun.

As long as everyone is portrayed as consenting and enjoying themselves, it's a positive thing, right?

Old Today, 04:18 PM   #3
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie

As long as the woman has no issue with being called that, then its fun and not degrading, a playful "You love it because you're my little slut" or if the woman is into degradation then a "Look at you, you dirty fucking slut" can be fun too.

Only if she is not "into" the term is it truly degrading.

Old Today, 05:34 PM   #4
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Are these parallel?

A: Black people can call other blacks 'nigger' but white people shouldn't.
B: Women can call other women 'slut' but men shouldn't.

Substitute other groups and slurs (ethnic, sexual). Are they comparable?

A Fall of Stardust (Nude Day) - "Hagh. cha' qab entries vaj contest. 'ej batlh cha' tlhIH suck, ghewmey, jaj Qu'lIj'e' bup chaH." -Anon
Jenny Be Fair 02 (incest-humor) - "Total shit - smug, shit-eating, stupid and up-your-own ass... No stars." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon
Under His Eyes (satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anon

Old Today, 05:49 PM   #5
49greg
Really Really Experienced

Seems like I've read several stories where the women wanted to be known as sluts, and where it wasn't known as an insult.

Old Today, 06:03 PM   #6
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

"She deliberately chose the slutty-looking outfit; after all, it was by Louis Vuitton and it was amazingly expensive. What else could she possibly wear onto Joan Rivers' fashion police? It fitted perfectly around her god-given body, didn't it?"

Old Today, 06:19 PM   #7
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

"Of course, it was a touch sluttier than the time she had gone on Letterman, but then, Letterman was a push-over, and the fashion police were not, but they were such suckers for 'slutty.'"

Old Today, 06:44 PM   #8
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
Are these parallel?

A: Black people can call other blacks 'nigger' but white people shouldn't.
B: Women can call other women 'slut' but men shouldn't.
Similar issues but I'm not sure they're exact parallels. Somebody who's Black gets exposed to the word "n----r" from birth simply by the colour of their skin; "slut" is at least ostensibly about behaviour. So when a woman calls another woman "slutty" as an insult she isn't focusing on a shared trait; she's saying "you are sexually immoral", with implied "and I am not".

In practice, I think the answer for both is "nobody should call anybody either of those names unless they know the audience is cool with it" but the degree of offensiveness will vary depending on context.

Last edited by Bramblethorn : Today at 06:47 PM.

Old Today, 07:13 PM   #9
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Similar issues but I'm not sure they're exact parallels. Somebody who's Black gets exposed to the word "n----r" from birth simply by the colour of their skin; "slut" is at least ostensibly about behaviour. So when a woman calls another woman "slutty" as an insult she isn't focusing on a shared trait; she's saying "you are sexually immoral", with implied "and I am not".

In practice, I think the answer for both is "nobody should call anybody either of those names unless they know the audience is cool with it" but the degree of offensiveness will vary depending on context.
I agree here, especially with the last part.

My first thought when reading the OP was, "Why does this have to have a positive spin?" Some things are simply negative, or have negative connotations to people, and that's not always a bad thing. Now, some people can use the negative thing in a joking way, and as long as everyone's in on the joke, no problem.

But I can't really imagine too many women wanting to be called "slut" or "slutty," unless it's a) a joke, or b) part of a scenario like LC mentioned. However, even in b), the term itself isn't positive. The woman is getting off on being called something negative. And again in that scenario, presuming it's all consensual, no problem.

The real problem is, I think most can agree, is that when a woman is called a "slut," the person calling her that is making a negative moral judgment that is none of their business in the first place.

Old Today, 08:25 PM   #10
Montanos
Really Experienced

I always enjoy when a MAN is called a slut by a gorgeous woman that wants to enjoy his sexual promiscuous tendencies.

Then again, I'm the sort of guy who loves dominant females that can't keep their knickers on around the geeky short guy with the 9.35 inch dick.

Montanos

-Montanos