Old 11-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Aurelius_PG
Experienced

Torture Museums

Just got back from a jaunt to Amsterdam. I was not surprised to see that they had a 'torture museum' being advertised, as every other self-respecting tourist city does. I didn't visit, and haven't been to one for many years despite (or because of) some of my BDSM predilections.

Anyway, just wondering what the folks here think of them? These museums always seem quite successful in visitor numbers. Perhaps you think it's strange that I should ask, but what's the popular appeal of seeing man's inhumanity to man?

With deference to Amsterdam's wonderful attractions, I visited the Rijksmuseum this morning and have now seen enough men in ruffs to last me a lifetime!
Literotica story list: www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=2191175
My blog with stories etc: pgaurelius.blogspot.com
Mainly BDSM, damsels-in-distress stories, non-cons, M/f, F/f

Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
NickiC
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius_PG View Post
Just got back from a jaunt to Amsterdam. I was not surprised to see that they had a 'torture museum' being advertised, as every other self-respecting tourist city does. I didn't visit, and haven't been to one for many years despite (or because of) some of my BDSM predilections.

Anyway, just wondering what the folks here think of them? These museums always seem quite successful in visitor numbers. Perhaps you think it's strange that I should ask, but what's the popular appeal of seeing man's inhumanity to man?

With deference to Amsterdam's wonderful attractions, I visited the Rijksmuseum this morning and have now seen enough men in ruffs to last me a lifetime!
Love your name. I think so much is sheer fascination. It is like Robert Mapplethorpe who made such beautiful photography of scenes that most people found offensive. To see your fantasy in front of you in a visual form is very powerful.
I am dyslexic and words play hide and seek with me. A little patience would be greatly appreciated from the community. I see the words and letters but my eyes do not see it actually. I am also snarklexic but that is a different quirk altogether.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
ecstaticsub
Literotica Guru

The Rothenburg Criminal Museum in Germany is a truly fascinating museum.

http://www.kriminalmuseum.rothenburg...h/engframe.htm

I can't tell you why I find it so interesting, I just do.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."~~~Frieda Norris The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
desertslave
Amateur Painslut

Quote:

It's not ALL men in ruffs, but there certainly are a bunch! Try the Van Gogh Museum or the Tropenmuseum for a change of pace. If you like architecture, the Oude Kerk is wonderful.

The only torture 'museum' I've been to as a small dungeon collection at Warwick Castle in the UK. It had the obligatory pear, iron maiden, and a few decrepit looking whips. Meh!

Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
IrisAlthea
Literotica Guru

I've only been to the one in Prague, right by the Karluv bridge.
I thought it would be a bit like the old dungeons in castles, but there was so much horror.
I think it fascinates people like scary movies do but for me, the Prague museum didn't give me that kind of experience.
I came out with much the same horror and sadness as I have felt visiting concentration camps.

I think it is a good thing that these kinds of places exist, because we need to remember what human being are able to do to each other. We are so prone to being theoretical about these things when we think we are doing something for a good cause.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
1AliceWonder
Experienced

Quote:

...I thought this was a thread about my mother-in-laws house.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
KoPilot
Obscene Epicene

I like em because of the macabre factor more than anything else.

Hey grammar snobs: none of you actually know what grammar is. lol pleebs.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman

I hate them and won't go into them because the intent on display is so completely opposite any intent of mine in any way whatsoever.

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Allyourbase
Polder Boi

I work in Amsterdam, and haven't been to the torture museum. I fear it'll ruin my sex life.

I write dark stories. Like something with encountering a gang of four in a dark alleyway.

And then there's: Kinky genderqueer meets veiled beauty.

Also: some dark D/s, some switchy bdsm, some noncon/reluctance, more of those things but genderqueer. And some Daddy/boi play, with a happy ending for a change.

"We are all freaks to someone. Maybe even - if we’re honest - to ourselves."
— Kate Bornstein, Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation

Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
bhndblueyes88
Literotica Guru

from some articles I've read, there's actually a fair number of "torture devices" out there that are entirely fabricated in regards to their historical existence. Kind of spoiled the whole idea for me.

I think people enjoy them out of a macabre interest and fascination with "evil". Even if one disagrees, I find most people find such horrible acts of man to be intriguing for any number of reasons.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #11
Endless_Night
Nope. Just Nope.

I've been to the London dungeons and a similar place in Scotland. Attendance to the exhibits was impressive, but I have to admit I left me rather queasy. Admittedly, I'm not really a fan of gore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhndblueyes88 View Post
< from some articles I've read, there's actually a fair number of "torture devices" out there that are entirely fabricated in regards to their historical existence. Kind of spoiled the whole idea for me. >
Interesting. I had no idea....

Old 11-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
KoPilot
Obscene Epicene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless_Night View Post
Interesting. I had no idea....
I think the Iron Maidrn is probably the most infamous example of this?

Hey grammar snobs: none of you actually know what grammar is. lol pleebs.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
Allyourbase
Polder Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoPilot View Post
I think the Iron Maidrn is probably the most infamous example of this?
Yknow I didn't know that until recently. I was actually relieved. Now just to find a way not to think of all those other horrible devices.

My sister, who has worked in various musea, once applied for a job in the dungeons of The Hague (if I remember correctly). She'd be the tour guide of school classes (!). She would be telling them about the torture techniques for the inmates there. She didn't take the job. Not just because her stomach turned taking the tour herself. One of the things she didn't think she could take was annoying kids making total jokes out of the horror.

I write dark stories. Like something with encountering a gang of four in a dark alleyway.

And then there's: Kinky genderqueer meets veiled beauty.

Also: some dark D/s, some switchy bdsm, some noncon/reluctance, more of those things but genderqueer. And some Daddy/boi play, with a happy ending for a change.

"We are all freaks to someone. Maybe even - if we’re honest - to ourselves."
— Kate Bornstein, Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation

Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
PattyPDX
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecstaticsub View Post
The Rothenburg Criminal Museum in Germany is a truly fascinating museum.

http://www.kriminalmuseum.rothenburg...h/engframe.htm

I can't tell you why I find it so interesting, I just do.
I'm new here but would like to second the museum of torture implements in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

http://www.kriminalmuseum.rothenburg.../whatframe.htm

Rothenburg is well worth a day trip on any visit to Germany. Its a wonderfully preserved medieval town. Very beautiful.