Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Seanathon
Really Experienced
 
Seanathon's Avatar
 
Seanathon is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 176
Question Most/Least read categories?

When I joined Literotica last month, I stumbled across a post (or maybe it was an article?) that ranked each of the categories from most to least read.

I've unsuccessfully tried to use the Search function to find it again but haven't had any luck, and I'm hoping someone can remember (or paste a link) to this post.

I assume the top categories are Incest and Loving Wives, just trying to get an idea on where the rest of the categories fall in terms of readership/views.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
LaRascasse
I dream, therefore I am
 
LaRascasse's Avatar
 
LaRascasse is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wasteland
Posts: 1,280
You're right - Incest is indeed the most viewed category here. I'd say 3/4th of the total views come from that category alone. LW is a distant second. I'd say BDSM is third, given the number of stories there.

I would assume Lesbian is next, given the readership of the site is mostly straight male *wink*. Erotic Couplings is another category which gets less views than it should, simply because the average reader comes with a type of story they want to read in mind and go straight there. Erotic Couplings is kinda vague in that regard

Gay, Romance, SciFi and NonHuman have their fixed readership. These readers don't usually overlap and appreciate longer plot driven stories (and vote and comment well).

Erotic Horror, Anal, TS/CD, Novels/Novellas have a smaller readership than the above.

Letters/Transcripts and Chain stories languish at the bottom. Chain stories are usually only read by the writers of the chain.
__________________
My stories in case you are interested. Offbeat, unconventional and just a bit dark. Just a bit, I swear


In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, thatů
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Darkniciad
Back in the saddle
 
Darkniciad's Avatar
 
Darkniciad is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,759
Incest and Loving Wives top the charts.

Below that I would put Anal, Exhibitionist & Voyeur, Mature, Group Sex, Mind Control, and Non-Con & Reluctance.

At the bottom I would have two groups consisting first of Erotic Horror, Humor & Satire, Celebrities, Novels & Novellas, and Non-Erotic.

The second and bottom of the barrel I would say are Chain Stories, Reviews and Essays, How-To, and Letters and Transcripts.

I excluded Audio and Illustrated, but everything else falls somewhere in the middle.

This is all off the top of my head, rather than directly mining the data for actual numbers.

I have a fairly broad range of categories amongst my work, so you can use that for at least some comparison. This is the most recent track from this month:

http://www.darkniciad.com/hotlink_pi...s_11_02_13.htm
__________________



*


Lowborn Ch. 07

06/20/13
*
Lowborn Ch. 08

06/25/13
*
Lowborn Ch. 09

06/28/13
*
Lowborn Ch. 10

07/03/13


  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
HeyAll
Literotica Guru
 
HeyAll is online now
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,918
Quick Question:

Which category, would any of you estimate, has the most amount of female readers? (besides nonhuman or sci fi)


And try looking through the Top List if you haven't already:

http://www.literotica.com/top/

You can look at the total reads (30 days, 12 months, all time) and you can click on the individual categories to get an idea of how many votes the stories are doing.
__________________
Corporate Whore- Abbey becomes anally submissive to her boss.
Object of Mom's Affection- Jill gives her son a unique gift.

In a Room Full of People- Catherine is hired to appear nude for an upscale party.

Last edited by HeyAll : 11-14-2013 at 06:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,978
Quick answer. There's no telling here who is a female reader and who isn't.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyAll View Post
Quick Question:

Which category, would any of you estimate, has the most amount of female readers? (besides nonhuman or sci fi)


And try looking through the Top List if you haven't already:

http://www.literotica.com/top/

You can look at the total reads (30 days, 12 months, all time) and you can click on the individual categories to get an idea of how many votes the stories are doing.
Hard to say. I agree with what Pilot says as in who knows who is pretending to be what, but I am taking that you are curious as to what category is read by the most true females.

Again hard to say. When I started my perception of incest was it would be Male dominated, but it seems there are just as many women and that's because daddy fantasies are as much female as male driven and bro/sis is probably a split

And that is where the problem is in determining an answer. Every category has different facets to it that can appeal to either.

My guess for men would be LW and non con(I am aware many women like to read rape fantasies as well, but many stories there are a little to rape driven to attract that many)

My guess for female would be your guess NH. I have heard there a lot of female readers in GM, but my second pick would be romance, specifically HEA romance.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is online now
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia (occasionally USA)
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Quick answer. There's no telling here who is a female reader and who isn't.
Indeed. I've had more than one PM that came across as "guy doing a really bad job at pretending to be female" and I'm sure some are better at concealing it.

That said, I think a significant percentage of readers in Lesbian are women IRL, because I and others get a fair bit of feedback on story aspects that probably wouldn't matter to somebody who's just trying to get their rocks off under false pretenses.

(Also, because some people give feedback that's linkable to their RL ID.)
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Seanathon
Really Experienced
 
Seanathon's Avatar
 
Seanathon is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 176
Thanks for the replies and information!

I like your spreadsheet Dark, I'm OC for numbers in the same way. I would be curious to see what it looks like sorted by views.

Which of the stats do you take the most pride in: scores, votes, views or faves?
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Darkniciad
Back in the saddle
 
Darkniciad's Avatar
 
Darkniciad is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanathon View Post
Thanks for the replies and information!

I like your spreadsheet Dark, I'm OC for numbers in the same way. I would be curious to see what it looks like sorted by views.

Which of the stats do you take the most pride in: scores, votes, views or faves?
To me, it's a cumulative thing out of all the stats. No one is any specific source of pride or real information about how well the story was received.

You should be able to copy/paste from the page into a spreadsheet and sort by views. Just tried it, and it works in Excel, at least. Of course, you'll have to copy each pen name section and paste them together, eliminating the wrap-up for each pen name.
__________________



*


Lowborn Ch. 07

06/20/13
*
Lowborn Ch. 08

06/25/13
*
Lowborn Ch. 09

06/28/13
*
Lowborn Ch. 10

07/03/13


  Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
carlieplum
Really Really Experienced
 
carlieplum's Avatar
 
carlieplum is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 354
Most = Best ?

There are positives to writing in a less-busy category. Your story stays on the top list longer, and, because they aren't inundated with new stories every few minutes, readers, I think, appreciate the contribution to their category of choice.

I wrote my first mind-control story for the Halloween costume and it got a lot of readership because there just isn't that much in that category.
__________________
This space intentionally left blank.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #11
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..
 
StrangeLife's Avatar
 
StrangeLife is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: All over the place
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlieplum View Post
There are positives to writing in a less-busy category. Your story stays on the top list longer, and, because they aren't inundated with new stories every few minutes, readers, I think, appreciate the contribution to their category of choice.
I agree.

I wrote a story for Erotic Horror and I got notably fewer views than I get in my usual stomping grounds Loving Wives, but the score was higher and the feedback has been consistently positive. In Loving Wives the feedback indicates a more polarised reader base (some love it while others tell me to crawl under a rock and die).

I suspect it has to do with Loving Wife being a very broad category - it covers all types of marital play which could be cuckolding, infidelity, revenge, threesomes, risky sex in public places, relationship crisis and lots of other stuff. A person who starts reading a story in Loving Wives never knows for sure what he or she is getting, and if you happen to hate gay sex and the protagonist in the story suddenly turns out to be gay you'll get pissed and slam the story in the scores and comments.

Dissatisfaction happen's when theres a discrepancy between what you expect and what you get. In Erotic Horror you're more likely to know exactly what you're in for and thus be more satisfied with the result, I think...
__________________
.

My stories on Literotica.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #12
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,689
Non-erotic gets about as much traffic as Mayberry.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..
 
StrangeLife's Avatar
 
StrangeLife is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: All over the place
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
Non-erotic gets about as much traffic as Mayberry.
On the other hand, going to a site named Literotica looking for non-erotic stories is probably not a common thing to do for most people...
__________________
.

My stories on Literotica.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLife View Post
On the other hand, going to a site named Literotica looking for non-erotic stories is probably not a common thing to do for most people...
Excellent point.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Cruel2BKind
20% cooler
 
Cruel2BKind's Avatar
 
Cruel2BKind is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyAll View Post
Quick Question:

Which category, would any of you estimate, has the most amount of female readers? (besides nonhuman or sci fi)
I would have to guess out of sheer numbers that there would be the most female readers in one of the mega-categories, like incest or LW. But if you are looking at percentages, I would have to guess (perhaps) gay male.

There are fewer female authors, but those tend to be more prolific. And only a few of the really big names are completely and non-ambiguously male. Like Robcub32, Pilot, and DW_Simon.
__________________
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions


These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..
 
StrangeLife's Avatar
 
StrangeLife is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: All over the place
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel2BKind View Post
And only a few of the really big names are completely and non-ambiguously male. Like Robcub32, Pilot, and DW_Simon.
And you know that how? Cause they say so?

I know a few girls in real life who are posing as guys on the internet because they want to interact with the community without having to fend off sex-hungry geeks on a constant basis...
__________________
.

My stories on Literotica.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Cruel2BKind
20% cooler
 
Cruel2BKind's Avatar
 
Cruel2BKind is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLife View Post
And you know that how? Cause they say so?

I know a few girls in real life who are posing as guys on the internet because they want to interact with the community without having to fend off sex-hungry geeks on a constant basis...
I know for sure that Pilot and Robcub are dudes... I'm not so sure about DW.

You're right, there is no way we can tell for real...

But on a site like this, I find that there is a slightly different mentality than say, 4chan, or reddit, or porn sites. This site isn't about anonymity, it's about finding someone (anyone) to acknowledge your work. People here are looking for recognition.

So other than the whole pen-name, secret-identity thing, a lot of people are just here, mostly telling the truth.

I write in GM, so other than the random perv who finds some of my ancient posts from the personals board, I don't really have the smexy PM problem.
__________________
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions


These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel2BKind View Post
I know for sure that Pilot and Robcub are dudes... I'm not so sure about DW.

You're right, there is no way we can tell for real...

But on a site like this, I find that there is a slightly different mentality than say, 4chan, or reddit, or porn sites. This site isn't about anonymity, it's about finding someone (anyone) to acknowledge your work. People here are looking for recognition.

So other than the whole pen-name, secret-identity thing, a lot of people are just here, mostly telling the truth.

I write in GM, so other than the random perv who finds some of my ancient posts from the personals board, I don't really have the smexy PM problem.
David Mamet says artists crave truth and communion at the same time resisting it as much as possible. He says writers don't wanna know that there is no communion and real excellence. All the best have to offer is a slightly improved McDonalds menu.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 28,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
Non-erotic gets about as much traffic as Mayberry.
That may be true but you also might be surprised who does read there.
__________________
New Story: A Hot Summer Night 08/21/14 Text with Audio Summer Lovin' Contest

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.
 
JAMESBJOHNSON's Avatar
 
JAMESBJOHNSON is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 44,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
That may be true but you also might be surprised who does read there.
I assume non-erotic readers are a slice or two more particular than most.
__________________
Never show up at a gun fight with just a fat ass and big mouth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
soflabbwlvr
Prescription Strength
 
soflabbwlvr's Avatar
 
soflabbwlvr is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twenty minutes away
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyAll View Post
Quick Question:

Which category, would any of you estimate, has the most amount of female readers? (besides nonhuman or sci fi)


And try looking through the Top List if you haven't already:

http://www.literotica.com/top/

You can look at the total reads (30 days, 12 months, all time) and you can click on the individual categories to get an idea of how many votes the stories are doing.
After those two categories, I would say Noncon/Reluctance. I'm finding that there is a huge female readership there, but they are interested in a certain type of story. They like a young female; an older, handsome, and very experienced male with a dark side; romantic entanglements; and an HEA ending.

That same readership also goes for Noncon/Reluctance stories with a sci-fi or fantasy theme.

It's the same audience that made 50 Shades a huge success.
__________________
Too much is still not enough

Deep Undercover

Pussy Rules
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Cruel2BKind
20% cooler
 
Cruel2BKind's Avatar
 
Cruel2BKind is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflabbwlvr View Post
After those two categories, I would say Noncon/Reluctance. I'm finding that there is a huge female readership there, but they are interested in a certain type of story. They like a young female; an older, handsome, and very experienced male with a dark side; romantic entanglements; and an HEA ending.

That same readership also goes for Noncon/Reluctance stories with a sci-fi or fantasy theme.

It's the same audience that made 50 Shades a huge success.
I know that an older experienced man who actually knows a thing or two about sex and seduction is literally the exact opposite of what most women my age are getting.

Which might be why it's a fantasy.
__________________
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions


These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 28,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel2BKind View Post
I know that an older experienced man who actually knows a thing or two about sex and seduction is literally the exact opposite of what most women my age are getting.

Which might be why it's a fantasy.
Wham, Bam, and not even a thank you, ma'am, is not good. Youth is so wasted on the young and inexperienced.
__________________
New Story: A Hot Summer Night 08/21/14 Text with Audio Summer Lovin' Contest

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
nomoretears00
Really Experienced
 
nomoretears00 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel2BKind View Post
I would have to guess out of sheer numbers that there would be the most female readers in one of the mega-categories, like incest or LW. But if you are looking at percentages, I would have to guess (perhaps) gay male.

There are fewer female authors, but those tend to be more prolific. And only a few of the really big names are completely and non-ambiguously male. Like Robcub32, Pilot, and DW_Simon.

Well, Rob is a guy. I know him in real life. Plus, he was at GRL this past October. Now, having said that, there are so many professional writers in M/M who are female and have male pen names. Won't be seeing them at places like GRL.
__________________
My Stories
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #25
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 33,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretears00 View Post
Well, Rob is a guy. I know him in real life. Plus, he was at GRL this past October. Now, having said that, there are so many professional writers in M/M who are female and have male pen names. Won't be seeing them at places like GRL.
"Pilot"/sr71plt confirms as male, but, to the point of the thread, I'll note that I write under nearly as many female-name accounts (and perspectives/genres) here as male. So I'll stand pat on there being no way of identifying, statistically, male vs. female writers or readers on this Web site. All attempts to do so are just conjecture constructed on sand.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.