Old 04-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
legerdemer
sailing on the seven seas

Finding the right title

Finding just the right title for poems seems even more important than finding them for stories - when they're right, they contribute immensely. When they're wrong, well... gm (not to put him on the spot) made a comment on one of mine recently that kind of lays it out there and made me think:

"2 infrequently used words juxtaposed together in the title, however, is a little like fingernails on a blackboard to me."

Afterwards, he changed his mind but I actually thought he has a point about titles that may be out of sync with the poem, or say too much (as Angeline suggested on the same poem), or too little.

In one case, I am holding back from posting a poem because I can't for the life of me come up with a title.

So, what's your take on the whole title issue? ... do you have an easy time with titles? Hard? Change your mind a lot, or never?

AH profile

My stuff and nonsense

Gone fishing...

Old 04-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
Magnetron
Deep Under Groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by legerdemer View Post
Finding just the right title for poems seems even more important than finding them for stories - when they're right, they contribute immensely. When they're wrong, well... gm (not to put him on the spot) made a comment on one of mine recently that kind of lays it out there and made me think:

"2 infrequently used words juxtaposed together in the title, however, is a little like fingernails on a blackboard to me."

Afterwards, he changed his mind but I actually thought he has a point about titles that may be out of sync with the poem, or say too much (as Angeline suggested on the same poem), or too little.

In one case, I am holding back from posting a poem because I can't for the life of me come up with a title.

So, what's your take on the whole title issue? ... do you have an easy time with titles? Hard? Change your mind a lot, or never?
Perhaps you should post the poem you are holding back and let everyone take stabs at titling it.

Like the band naming thread.

Genius!

* he declared in a high pitched flaming homosexual voice *

Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Neonurotic
raining

A lot of times, I start with the title, it being the inspiration for the poem itself. If I didn't start with the title, I try not to choose one that repeats any line I used in the poem as I feel 1) repetitive and 2) acts as a "spoiler" to the poem. Often, my poem defines or is the theme of the the title. Or other times, the title as a play on words or just out of left field so to speak.

I "think" I'm pretty good at titling my poems.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
legerdemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetron View Post
Perhaps you should post the poem you are holding back and let everyone take stabs at titling it.

Like the band naming thread.

Genius!

* he declared in a high pitched flaming homosexual voice *

LOL - Not on your life!!!

But thanks for the suggestion. Not that I don't have a sense of humor or anything...but that one turned into a word game.

AH profile

My stuff and nonsense

Gone fishing...

Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
Angeline
Poet Chick

I have a friend who is (by my standards) a success as a poet in that he has many publications (including books). He always writes the title first and lets the poem flow from it. Whenever he reads a line or phrase he thinks has possibilities, he writes it down and saves it. Thus, he has a huge file of potential titles and poems.

I can't do that. I find it difficult to choose a title and usually change it after I've had some time to reflect on the poem. I think I'm better at it that I used to be, but not great. I'm looking forward to reading more tips and techniques, like Neo's.

Poems

Old 04-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #6
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
LOL - Not on your life!!!

But thanks for the suggestion. Not that I don't have a sense of humor or anything...but that one turned into a word game.
Aww, I like word games! Titles are sometimes a bane for me as well. I feel that good titles are often the essence of a piece, a hint at what's to come even if you can't see it until after you've read the piece.

Maybe I'll toss one of my untitled out there to be stabbed at

Last edited by Trixareforkids : 04-11-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
GuiltyPleasure
kinda experienced

Most often the poem dictates the title, only rarely do I start with the title - unless it's a S. T. challenge of course.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

I find the title is the hardest part of all!

Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #9
legerdemer

I generally start with a line or two of the poem. Very occasionally I think of a title to which I try to write a poem, but it doesn't tend to work like that for me. I have a title in need of a poem at the moment, as well. Lonely little thing it is, too...

AH profile

My stuff and nonsense

Gone fishing...

Old 04-12-2016, 01:05 AM   #10
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

I just wrote a piece Title first a couple of days ago but it's a rare occurrence for me. It can take days or weeks for a title to present itself and sometimes even longer. When I'm not in a hurry it's no big deal but when I have to come up with a title before the piece has had a chance to confer with itself and whisper it to me, it's usually some piece of obvious crap

Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 AM   #11
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

Didn't Senna start a thread ages ago offering titles to anyone who wanted to use them?
I think Magnetron should do the same, he's inspired!

Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old 04-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #12
Magnetron
Deep Under Groundhog

I'm more Idiot than Savant when it comes to naming stuff.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #13
Sinseria
Really Really Experienced

hehe usually use the last line of the poem as the title ..think that's more force of habit ...but I never have the title until the poem is done ...as its always in a constant state of change ...ill be writing one thing and by the time I am half way finished the poem has turned into something entirely different :P ...very rare occasion when I make the title something different ...but at lass it has happened

I asked her if she
believed in love, and she
smiled and said it was her
most elaborate method
of self-harm.

Benedict Smith

Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #14
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinseria View Post
hehe usually use the last line of the poem as the title ..think that's more force of habit ...but I never have the title until the poem is done ...as its always in a constant state of change ...ill be writing one thing and by the time I am half way finished the poem has turned into something entirely different :P ...very rare occasion when I make the title something different ...but at lass it has happened
This happens all the time when I write, which is one reason I can't do a title till the poem is done!

Poems

Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #15
Lyricalli
Strange little bug

Quote:

I have a ridiculously difficult time with titles. I think they're important, and I rarely come up with one I'm completely happy with. I've spent more time pondering titles than I have writing, I think.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
Magnetron
Deep Under Groundhog

I title your poem. Send $20 PayPal to MagnetRon@literotica.com