Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
BarondeSade
Experienced
 
BarondeSade is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Locked away with Mom in my castle
Posts: 84
What gives with the tops lists

So now they go by the number of votes and not the quality of the votes...How can a 2.09 story be better than a 4.81 story regardless how long it's been hanging around...ridiculous...just another way to keep the new guys off the lists...I guess perservence does pay off...
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 50,069
I don't follow. They are screwing around with the top lists, but I don't see what you see. There is a list for "Votes," but this is based on rate. The one based on number of "Views" is the only one I see that doesn't graduate on the basis of ratings--and it shouldn't, as it's standard in number of view, not votes.

I see that the top lists are being broken down now in "30 days," "120 days" and "all"--and it looks like that "all" list has a entry threshold of 100 votes now rather than the previous 10 votes (although I don't see that keyed anywhere).
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
TheeGoatPig
There is no R in my name
 
TheeGoatPig's Avatar
 
TheeGoatPig is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey USA
Posts: 13,000
Way cool, I have the #99, and #244 most read stories on the site
__________________
I'm not paying cash for sex.
My Stories
Kick the Sun, Martial Arts Movie Reviews
My LiveJournal
My Love Life
My Life Story
My Myspace (that double "My" sounds so stupid...)
Pics Of Me (lots of them)
I'm not just a goat pig, or even The Goat Pig, I'm THEE Goat Pig!
A.H. Directory
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I don't follow. They are screwing around with the top lists, but I don't see what you see. There is a list for "Votes," but this is based on rate. The one based on number of "Views" is the only one I see that doesn't graduate on the basis of ratings--and it shouldn't, as it's standard in number of view, not votes.

I see that the top lists are being broken down now in "30 days," "120 days" and "all"--and it looks like that "all" list has a entry threshold of 100 votes now rather than the previous 10 votes (although I don't see that keyed anywhere).
Yes. I had a few up there with between 50 and a 100 votes that are now gone. Oh well.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell

  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
BarondeSade
Experienced
 
BarondeSade is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Locked away with Mom in my castle
Posts: 84
Don't know what you mean...

I have three humor/satire stories (4.81/4.79/4.75) (10/17/07-10/23/07-10/22/07)...the all have over fifteen votes, yet they don't appear on any of the lists (30 days/12 months/all time). So I still draw the same conclusion. It is based on number of votes, not the quality of the votes. So if you write a 1.0 story and everyone comes by to see what a klutz of a writer you are, you'll make it on the top list...
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 50,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
Yes. I had a few up there with between 50 and a 100 votes that are now gone. Oh well.
It pretty much wipes out anything less than five years old on the GM list--GM readers don't tend either to comment or to vote, so it takes ages to add up to anything over 100 votes.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 50,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarondeSade View Post
I have three humor/satire stories (4.81/4.79/4.75) (10/17/07-10/23/07-10/22/07)...the all have over fifteen votes, yet they don't appear on any of the lists (30 days/12 months/all time). So I still draw the same conclusion. It is based on number of votes, not the quality of the votes. So if you write a 1.0 story and everyone comes by to see what a klutz of a writer you are, you'll make it on the top list...
You might take a closer look--or e-mail someone--because in a check of three different categories, I found the 30-day list going down to 6 votes and the 12-month list going down to 12 votes. My guess is that now there is no minimum to be put on the 30-day list, 10 votes for the 12-month list, and 100 votes for the "all" list. Just what the new pattern looks like--as I noted, I couldn't find an explanation.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
It pretty much wipes out anything less than five years old on the GM list--GM readers don't tend either to comment or to vote, so it takes ages to add up to anything over 100 votes.
The poetry is still 10 votes - otherwise it would be a short list!
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell

  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
BOSTONFICTIONWRITER
The Wizard Of Literotica
 
BOSTONFICTIONWRITER's Avatar
 
BOSTONFICTIONWRITER is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGoatPig View Post
Way cool, I have the #99, and #244 most read stories on the site
Congratulations.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.
 
Zeb_Carter's Avatar
 
Zeb_Carter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a state...
Posts: 15,020
One thing I noticed, also...

If a story is on the 30 day list on the 12 month list it won't appear on the all time list.

I have one in the Sci-Fi cat on the 12 month list so it doesn't appear on the all time list. There is also a story with a 4.93(266) score/votes on the 12 month list that doesn't show up on the all time list.

So I guess...until it drops off the 12 month list it won't show on all time list.

Just a guess you understand.

It looks like the selection criteria is score, votes, date approved - any in another list for the category.

And the lists go to 500 now instead of only 100 except for the all time which stops when the votes go below 100.

ETA: I see a potential hole in the process. Those stories that have a high score but less than 100 votes will never be listed once they drop of the 12 month list, until they get the 100 votes to be put in the all time list. A large raft of stories may be being neglected by readers because they don't appear on a top list anywhere even though the could have more than 10 vote and a 4.99 score.

Last edited by Zeb_Carter : 05-27-2009 at 09:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 50,069
With luck, maybe someday Manu will get around to telling us how the new listings work.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Elianna
Winged Tiki Idol
 
Elianna's Avatar
 
Elianna is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: With an annoying cat in my lap keeping me from typing.
Posts: 2,958
Why bother?

At one point I had nearly 1000 votes on a story. That number has significantly decreased to... about 200. I don't really know if any of the figures were correct.

Once Manu explains how things work, someone (I shall not name anyone) will try to mess with it so things play in their favor. I guess there are a lot of lying, cheating, egotistical creeps on a porn site. Shocking.

Maybe I'm just hating the whole "change" thing. But here is a valid question:

Who the hell chose which quotes to put up as the "teasers" in the tops list?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 50,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna View Post
Who the hell chose which quotes to put up as the "teasers" in the tops list?
I haven't had the courage to look at any of those yet. I still get the vapors at seeing some of the suggestions of other "similar" stories to mine.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #14
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere, USA
Posts: 47,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna View Post
Why bother?

At one point I had nearly 1000 votes on a story. That number has significantly decreased to... about 200. I don't really know if any of the figures were correct.

Once Manu explains how things work, someone (I shall not name anyone) will try to mess with it so things play in their favor. I guess there are a lot of lying, cheating, egotistical creeps on a porn site. Shocking.

Maybe I'm just hating the whole "change" thing. But here is a valid question:

Who the hell chose which quotes to put up as the "teasers" in the tops list?
I wondered about those 'teasers' as well. If they remain the same all the time, that gives an unfair advantage to those authors over anyone that doesn't get their story chosen, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I haven't had the courage to look at any of those yet. I still get the vapors at seeing some of the suggestions of other "similar" stories to mine.
Some of them make no sense to me at all.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
loganforester
Back in purple
 
loganforester's Avatar
 
loganforester is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in Canada
Posts: 2,433
The problem with the 100 vote threshold is that certain categories it takes a miracle to get that many votes while others you can get that in a single day. It doesn't exactly create a level playing field for the different categories. The all time letters list has 7 stories because that's all the ones that have achieved that many votes. A few others can't even fill a page of 50 stories. I'm not sure how the top list is doing a service to readers trying to find good stories in these categories.
__________________
MY STORIES & POEMS
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
driphoney
tittivator
 
driphoney's Avatar
 
driphoney is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
One thing I noticed, also...

So I guess...until it drops off the 12 month list it won't show on all time list.

Just a guess you understand.


ETA: I see a potential hole in the process. Those stories that have a high score but less than 100 votes will never be listed once they drop of the 12 month list, until they get the 100 votes to be put in the all time list. A large raft of stories may be being neglected by readers because they don't appear on a top list anywhere even though the could have more than 10 vote and a 4.99 score.
Regarding your thoughts on the dropping off the 12 month list to show on the all time list. That isn't the case on the interracial board. Check out Soular.

Regarding your ETA thought, I noticed that, too, as I'll be a goner, if my votes can manage to hang in there but more people don't vote for my stories. I only have one thing with over 100, and not with a good score, at least until the next sweep or two or three!

So, I plan to enjoy it while it lasts.

BTW, my votes have been increasing over the last few days (and scores shifting like it's new material just posted.) I couldn't figure out why as they are usually steady until I saw this thread.

Last edited by driphoney : 06-10-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typos and accuracy
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
driphoney
tittivator
 
driphoney's Avatar
 
driphoney is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna View Post
Who the hell chose which quotes to put up as the "teasers" in the tops list?
They appear to be the first few lines of the top 3 on each page. But maybe it was just when I was looking, regarding those top 3. I was mortified to open one page and see my own stuff highlighted and all that was quoted was my pre-story comments! That will teach me.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
driphoney
tittivator
 
driphoney's Avatar
 
driphoney is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressLynn View Post
I wondered about those 'teasers' as well. If they remain the same all the time, that gives an unfair advantage to those authors over anyone that doesn't get their story chosen, wouldn't it?

Some of them make no sense to me at all.
Absolutely! I'm still disturbed about seeing my own pre-story comments. Think my story has fallen since looking just a bit ago, so it's replaced by some other riveting opening line from the top poster on that page.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #19
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere, USA
Posts: 47,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by driphoney View Post
Absolutely! I'm still disturbed about seeing my own pre-story comments. Think my story has fallen since looking just a bit ago, so it's replaced by some other riveting opening line from the top poster on that page.
Edit the piece and take those out, unless it needs them.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
driphoney
tittivator
 
driphoney's Avatar
 
driphoney is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressLynn View Post
Edit the piece and take those out, unless it needs them.
Been having that thought! But it seems the numbers are shifting daily right now, so it might not matter. I need to do some edits anyway, but have a fear I'll mess things up worse.

Hope you're doing well, MistressLynn.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #21
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere, USA
Posts: 47,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by driphoney View Post
Been having that thought! But it seems the numbers are shifting daily right now, so it might not matter. I need to do some edits anyway, but have a fear I'll mess things up worse.

Hope you're doing well, MistressLynn.
Editing is fun.

I'm doing fine thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #22
The_Fool
smiling for the camera
 
The_Fool's Avatar
 
The_Fool is offline
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressLynn View Post
Editing is fun.

I'm doing fine thanks.
You are a sicko...


__________________
Foolish Rants Redux

saying something foolish


Writing poetry is kind of like being a husband. You have to learn when to shut up and call it done.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #23
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere, USA
Posts: 47,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fool View Post
You are a sicko...


Thanks, I love you too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #24
manyeyedhydra
Literotica Guru
 
manyeyedhydra's Avatar
 
manyeyedhydra is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,008
Looks good to me.

I like how it's broken into effectively the 'all time', 'this year' and 'this month' sections.

The 100 vote cutoff seems a little arbitrary. Some categories struggle to make that, in others it's barely a drop in the ocean.

Maybe vary the threshold depending on the mean/median vote numbers for the category?

The quote thing looks a little random - especially if it picks up author introductions at the start of the story. It would be nice if the author could select a (small) representative passage or even if it just took a random chunk out of the middle of a story. More chance of drawing a new reader in.

My tuppence anyway
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #25
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 50,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressLynn View Post
Editing is fun.

I'm doing fine thanks.
Editing isn't fun if you spent four weeks editing a book manuscript to authorities provided by the Press and the author didn't pay any attention to them and has slashed every edit with a "No!" and he's best friends with the Press director.

Ugh. Tomorrow starts all of the uncorrecting.

My only happy thought is that his book will be a mess and it's very likely I'll make more for editing and undoing then he will in royalties.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.