Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
innocencebegone
Experienced

Smile best way to come up with character names?

Norweigen? Scandinavian heritage..any suggestions?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Tx Tall Tales
Literotica Guru

Google top 100 norwegian names. Here's one I found.

http://www.babynamestats.com/top-names-norway-2009.html

If you have a certain age in mind, you can often google the name and birth year. I used the phrase 'most popular norwegian baby names 1994'

http://www.baby2see.com/names/boysnames_norway.html
http://www.baby2see.com/names/girlsnames_norway.html

These lists have the 10 most popular names for boy and girls, in Norway, since 1880.

Hope that helps

#1 Horror

Contest Winner
#1 Romance

#1 Exhib/Voy

#1 Group Sex

#1 Lov. Wives

Contest Winner
#1 How-To

* rankings snapshot 10/25/2013 *

Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
hylas_
Experienced

All Scandinavian characters should always be called "Gunnar".

Old 11-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
nightlola
Experienced

The best way to come up with a character name is to finish writing the story. It'll come to you.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
MSTarot
Literotica Guru

I use the phone book to look for names. just leaf through till you find something you like. Also there are always Jones and Smiths in most countries of Europe.

While it looks a bit out of place to have someone named Yorin Smith, it is accurate.

The lower the score the more likely the story is rather dark. Enjoy what you like and please feel free to comment.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru

This link has a category for Norwegian and Scandinavian names. Scroll down the page. Click the one you like and another page opens filled with options.

A Little Girl's Legacy ~ by JaeLynn Topper

Pay It Forward ~ by JaeLynn Topper

My Page
My Blog
FAWC 2 Winner

Kink Bingo
Romance Bingo

Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
NymphWriter
Experienced

Character Names

If I don't already have a name in my head, then I'll do a search for baby name and look over the list until I see one that catches my eye. I know some say the name is supposed to mean something... but sometimes... the name is just the one that pops into my head.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Lady_Riane
Virgin

What about taking a name you know you like and then looking to see if there is an equivalent one in the language of choice.

Michael - Miguel
Alexander - Aleksandr
Jacob - Yacob

You get the idea.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
MausAss
I'm not a dog

One female swedish name is Fanny. Use that one.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Aurantica
Beloved and Devoted Pet

I often use a random identity generator. All you do if put in a few details like gender and country of origin, and it gives you a full profile.

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=783652

Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
LustreMunky
Loves Spam

literotica sign up captchas

Old 06-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: sitting on my mountain cabin porch looking across the meadow at wandering chickens and wild turkeys busily converting bugs into eggs whilst squirrels frolic, deer fornicate, helicopters swarm overhead, and the regional drought intensifies beyond hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurantica View Post
I often use a random identity generator. All you do if put in a few details like gender and country of origin, and it gives you a full profile.
A "random identity generator" ?? Oh shit. Now I'll have to use those.

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
FyreHarpie
Virgin

Lightbulb OH so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
A "random identity generator" ?? Oh shit. Now I'll have to use those.
I definitely agree with that! I am already looking it up and seeing what sites I can find to do this with!
Feel free to e-mail me:
glitzandglamour@workmail.com

Old 08-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #14
TamLin01
Really Experienced

Randomly selected names always feel flimsy and disposable to me, and sometimes so too do the characters they're attached to. I say pick a word, a theme, or an idea that's relevant to the character and then search for a name of the appropriate extraction with a relationship to that theme. It's a little work, but I find names will "stick" a lot better this way.

American Gothic: A family reunion to die for.

The Wolves of Berlin: Love, war, monsters, and a dire inheritance in occupied Paris.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Sammael Bard
Hers to hold

When I was a kid, we used to play a PC game called '7 Kingdoms'.

9 races (earlier it was 7)- Norman, Viking, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Persian, Egyptian, Mughal and Mayan.

Each and every person's name is randomly generated, according to their nationality, by an inbuilt programme.

Now, I use it to name the side characters in my story.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: sitting on my mountain cabin porch looking across the meadow at wandering chickens and wild turkeys busily converting bugs into eggs whilst squirrels frolic, deer fornicate, helicopters swarm overhead, and the regional drought intensifies beyond hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoulfulBard View Post
When I was a kid, we used to play a PC game called '7 Kingdoms'.

9 races (earlier it was 7)- Norman, Viking, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Persian, Egyptian, Mughal and Mayan.

Each and every person's name is randomly generated, according to their nationality, by an inbuilt programme.

Now, I use it to name the side characters in my story.
Sounds like an excellent tool. Hmmm, some clever programmer could/should write a name/identity-generating app that resides besides word procs. Hit CTRL+F2 to pop it up.

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Sammael Bard
Hers to hold

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent tool. Hmmm, some clever programmer could/should write a name/identity-generating app that resides besides word procs. Hit CTRL+F2 to pop it up.
I'm not a comp wiz so can you please elaborate on where I should press that and what should I expect on my screen?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Scrivener has this. I can press a button and get a list of fifty randomly-generated names; I can set what lists to include (e.g. "Common US first names"), allow or disallow double-barreled surnames and I can even tweak the obscurity settings - e.g. low obscurity gives me some pretty bland names:

Sarah Marshall
Kevin Smith
John Roberts
Michael Parry
Emily Berry
Laura Ross
Melissa Mitchell
Julie Armstrong
Thomas MacDonald

Max obscurity gives me something more adventurous:

Jim Lawal
Karie Neill
Errol Sharrocks
Shana Willington
Margarita Lawton
Shawanda Sawden
Nathan Saville
William Jeffries
Natasha Bently
Carlos Churne

I'd be cautious of using it for unfamiliar cultures; some elements might be common on their own but implausible when combined. For example, "Kaur" is a common last name for Indian women (in particular Sikh) but unusual for men. And some names may have unintended religious/social implications.

Stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
E-books: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Bramblethorn
Blog: http://bramblethorn.dreamwidth.org/
Avatar pic borrowed from http://www.oglaf.com with permission.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #19
49greg
Literotica Guru

I did a huge list of names not long after I started posting stories here, a column of first names on one side and a column of last names on the other side. Just all the names I could think of. Mostly just plain anglo-american names. The plan was to randomly chose a last name and a first name and go with that.

I haven't used it once.

Many of the name's I use are from friends and acquaintances in my childhood, high school, army and later. Usually I use one person's first name with another's last name. Names in my story (that shall never see the light of day) I wrote for last November's NaNoWriMo were nearly all taken from a site with Cornish names.

A series of stories, some posted, that take place in a mythical Northern Iowa town full of the descendants of Norwegian settles are from the phone book. Which worked because I happen to live in Northern Iowa in an area full of the descendants of settlers who originally came mostly from Norway, with some Swedes and Danes.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
Walnut7218
Virgin

I'd try babynames.com or babynameguide.com. I always use these sites to find character names. Nameberry.com might work as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:54 AM   #21
spellslave
Really Experienced

I use Behindthename/Behindthesurname. I also look into the root origins of the words, and occasionally use Wikitionary as well.