Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #351
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

I just finished (for the nth time) Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett. I'm not sure what to start next. Probably Operation Mincemeat by Ben McIntyre though I really ought to finish Half the Sky so I can send it on to Stella.

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

<div align=left><a href=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519ZReMcO1L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-51,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg target=_blank>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg</a></div>

Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #352
ms.read
Literotica Guru

I am reading the lines of his body...

Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #353
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

'Monkey Business: The Lives and Legends of the Marx Brothers' by Simon Louvish.

Published in 1999, it's exhaustively researched and is quite interesting. I enjoy the Marx Bros. movies, so this adds another dimension to them. A lot of what they wrote about themselves is untrue, but that's their MO...they learned from the master, their mother.

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #354
trysail
Catch Me Who Can

Ibn Sa'ud and his conquest of what is now Sa'udi Arabia is a fascinating story— and it wasn't all that long ago. His 1902 storming of Riyadh was the capstone of that campaign. Robert Lacey's The Kingdom ( New York, NY. 1981. ) is a fascinating account of the country's history and serves as proof that non-fiction can be every bit as gripping as fiction.

Quote:

Ibn Saud Wed 200 Virgins, Found Huge Oil Reserves

by Lewis Lapham

July 3 (Bloomberg) -- In 1932, the fierce warrior Ibn Saud united the lands he conquered as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. To refute rumors that he’d been made impotent in battle, Ibn Saud would pick a village virgin, marry her on the spot and take her into the royal tent.

The royal family eventually had more than 200 wives, 125 daughters and at least 45 sons. It was not a rich kingdom, producing dates, wheat, barley and livestock, supplemented by revenue from pilgrims who journeyed to the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

Envious of the oil boom in Iran, Kuwait and Iraq, the king hired American mining engineer Karl Twitchell and Standard Oil of California to explore his lands. They found commercial quantities of the black gold in 1938, and by the following year the Saudis were earning more than $1 million in fees and royalties.

One royal adviser exclaimed, “The oil story was a veritable romance, surpassing the most improbable tales of the Arabian Nights!”

It had taken Americans nearly 100 years to find 30 billion barrels in the U.S., while the Saudis found more than that in a decade. The discovery of massive oil reserves was just the beginning of a close American-Saudi relationship.

... Geoffrey Wawro [ is the ] author of “Quicksand: America’s Pursuit of Power in the Middle East” (Penguin)...

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...d=aRN0zCgO5HfY

Last edited by trysail : 07-03-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #355
Miss_Pixie
Literotica Guru

I'm reading, Bad Women feeling good: The blues and the women who sing them

If You're Gonna Ride My Ass, At Least Pull My Hair!-Bumper Sticker

I had the vague impression that I was falling, so I let go and hoped it was the fall that killed me, and not the stop...

Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #356
Corbal
Cereal Killer

Laurell K Hamilton - Anita Blake's 'Flirt'

Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #357
driphoney
tittivator

a stack of Spanish 'ar' verb flashcards

mirar - to watch . . . dibujar - to draw . . . gustar - to want . . .

Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #358
Tio_Narratore
Studies

Stiff by Mary Roach

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #359
trysail
Catch Me Who Can

... a German visitor described his trip to America as late as 1857, "Ten years in America are like a century elsewhere."

This view was echoed by a British parliamentary commission that visited the United States in the 1850s. The group was especially impressed with how American workers accepted progress instead of resisting it as they "hailed with satisfaction all mechanical improvements [ that were ] releasing them from the drudgery of unskilled labour, [ which ] they are enabled by education to understand and appreciate." Coming from a British group, this was an exceptionally high compliment. But the commission went on to emphasize the contrast with their own labour force, which stubbornly resisted "mechanical improvements" for fear of losing their jobs.

-Peter L. Bernstein
Wedding of the Waters: The Erie Canal and the Making of a Great Nation
New York, New York 2005.

The profound importance of the Erie Canal to the development of the early U.S. economy has been completely forgotten. The audacity required to propose and construct a 363 mile-long canal across the forested wilderness of New York state largely by hand is nearly unbelievable and the story fascinating. It is perfectly understandable that people though DeWitt Clinton mad.

Peter Bernstein's earlier book Against The Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk was very popular amongst a certain segment of investors ( that segment being of the brighter variety ). I will wager that those who read, understood and enjoyed the book likely avoided most of the landmines in the great mortgage-backed securities and collaterallized debt obligation fiasco.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #360
litfan10
owner of slave_

Half way through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Anybody seen the movie yet? Any good?

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You sir, have a mucky mind" - Dianthus 7/26/10
"Yes, it's official. You are cute!" - slave_ 09/09/10
"Now, you are a cute smart ass" - slave_ 10/21/10
"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #361
Dianthus
Belle

Of Human Bondage
W. Somerset Maugham

One of the hundred classics included with my e-reader.

If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

How well do you know me? Click here and tell me what you see.

My Stories

Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #362
djserani
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfan10 View Post
Half way through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Anybody seen the movie yet? Any good?
I'd really like to read this. I've heard fantastic things about it. EW did a article about him and the mess surrounding his estate when he passed away.

I'm not reading anything right now. I've got a number of books waiting for me, including Stephen King's Under the Dome, John Flanagan's Rangers Apprentice 8, the rest of Red Pyramid (Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson author) and the entire Bride Quartet from Nora Roberts...

And I can't get my head out of my own story long enough to give anyone else's a fair amount of attention.
This is real simple: I don't do live. I don't chat. I won't cam for you, I don't watch others' cams. And you're much more likely to get a reply from me if you know what capitalization and punctuation is. I'm a writer (*points at the bottom of her sig*), want to impress me? Understand English.

English: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #363
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by djserani View Post
I'd really like to read this. I've heard fantastic things about it. EW did a article about him and the mess surrounding his estate when he passed away.

I'm not reading anything right now. I've got a number of books waiting for me, including Stephen King's Under the Dome, John Flanagan's Rangers Apprentice 8, the rest of Red Pyramid (Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson author) and the entire Bride Quartet from Nora Roberts...

And I can't get my head out of my own story long enough to give anyone else's a fair amount of attention.
Red Pyramid Rocked!

Let me know how Under the Dome is

Dragon is very good

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #364
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Elizabeth George's What Came Before He Shot Her--and I'm reallly finding it a hard go. I don't really like reading about people this much down and out. And the book is quite long.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #365
MagicaPractica
Dreamer

Bird by Bird: Some instructions on writing and life by Anne Lamott - I'm finding it very inspirational and instructive.
Playgrounder #426

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #366
DorlaMoorehouse
Really Experienced

I'm currently reading my review copy of Alison's Wonderland, Alison Tyler's collection of fairy tale themed erotica. It's quite good, and I look forward to writing a review on my blog.

Like my work enough to pay for it? Consider buying one of these:

Eat Me: Seven Sexy Stories of Gluttony

Cocktales: Sex on the Beach

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #367
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicaPractica View Post
Bird by Bird: Some instructions on writing and life by Anne Lamott - I'm finding it very inspirational and instructive.
I use that in my college class. I think it is one of the finest book on the craft of writing!

Her Faith/Grace series is great as well

product of my mucky mind

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #368
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

I've just finished Abracadaver (A Sgt. Cribb story by Peter Lovesy).

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #369
Trinique_Fire
Mrs. D

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
Life As We Knew It - Susan Pfeffer

AmeriCorps Service Member 2009-2010

"Part of being a minority is living with the majorities will no matter how it may be imposed on you. With that comes having to 'take what you can get' in order to make any advancement. Advancement to the exact same rights and personal freedoms you've had since birth and which are still to this day denied to us because we love differently."

Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #370
4glory6
Really Experienced

Pretty much Literotica stories tonight. Trying a smattering of the top fifty favorite authors. Mixed results.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #371
trysail
Catch Me Who Can

On the day of Anne's miscarriage, Chapuys— not yet having heard of it, for he does not mention it in his dispatch, and was not to report it until February 10— was told by the King's cousin, Henry Courtenay, Marquess of Exeter, and the Marchioness, Gertrude Blount, how they had been "informed by one of the principal persons at court" that the King "said to someone in great confidence and, as it were, in confession, that he had made this marriage seduced and constrained by sortileges [ i.e., divination or sorcery ], and for this reason he considered it null, and that this was evident because God did not permit them to have any male issue, and that he believed he might take another wife, which he gave to understand that he had some wish to do."

-Alison Weir
The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn
New York, New York 2010.

I've ne'er had the pleasure of Alison Weir before as the majority of the biographies I've read about the Tudors has been the handiwork of Antonia Fraser.

The more I read about court life— be it Plantagenet, Habsburg, Capet, Saxe-Coburg Gotha, Bourbon, Ming or Romanov— the more I agree with Shakespeare: "Uneasy the head that wears a crown." It was every bit as unpleasant as the life of a U.S. Congressman. Humans in pursuit of money and power are downright nasty. If that's the life you seek, be certain to read and comprehend the original instruction manual of politics— that authored by Niccolò Machiavelli.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #372
Lady_Guenivere
Sex is a two-way treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinique_Fire View Post
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
Life As We Knew It - Susan Pfeffer
Loved The Poisonwood Bible...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My writing...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #373
Lady_Guenivere
Sex is a two-way treat.

I am reading High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

As I am reading it the main character Rob reminds me of a guy I dated years ago. The similarities are uncanny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My writing...

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #374
Austin8
Literotica Guru

Im finishing up The Man Who Walked Through Time: Colin Fletcher

Next is Into The Wild: Jon Krakauer

Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #375
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

The Dragons of Pern by Anne McCafferey

A very pleasant, light, read by a skilled story-teller.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259