Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 05-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
ImperatorMentus
Virgin

Is Fan Fiction Allowed?

I have a story that is fanfiction, but otherwise fits the site. I see nothing in the rules against it, but I also haven't noticed many getting posted.

Are they allowed here?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
beachbum1958
Really Really Experienced

Location: Mostly on the Island of Ramandu, seated at the stone table where the three Lords sleep...
There is a Celebrity & Fan-Fiction category, you could read some of those to give yourself a flavour of what is acceptable on the site, and how far you can push the envelope.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
lovecraft68
Kill em all

They are, but the category is called "Celebrities" here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3QX2aMdeI0

Old 05-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
ImperatorMentus
Virgin

How firm is the requirement to post in that category, assuming the story would otherwise be a good fit in another section?

Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
lovecraft68
Kill em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperatorMentus View Post
How firm is the requirement to post in that category, assuming the story would otherwise be a good fit in another section?
First, keep in mind the site owner can move it where she thinks it fits best. Fan fic generally goes in Celebs.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
First, keep in mind the site owner can move it where she thinks it fits best. Fan fic generally goes in Celebs.
If it's related to a specific RL celeb, yeah.

On the other hand, stuff like World of Warcraft fanfic seems to end up in Sci-Fi/Fantasy; Celebs wouldn't be a good fit for that stuff since there's no RL celeb involved.

edit: oh, and Lovecraftian fic usually ends up in Erotic Horror.

Last edited by Bramblethorn : 05-15-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
lovecraft68
Kill em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
If it's related to a specific RL celeb, yeah.

On the other hand, stuff like World of Warcraft fanfic seems to end up in Sci-Fi/Fantasy; Celebs wouldn't be a good fit for that stuff since there's no RL celeb involved.

edit: oh, and Lovecraftian fic usually ends up in Erotic Horror.
I'm always flattered when people write fan fic about me

Old 05-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

The Celebs category was renamed "Celebrities and Fan Fiction" quite some time ago.

Regardless of genre, that's where all fanfic is supposed to go. Exceptions are sometimes made, but official exceptions are rare and require having the category disclaimer attached to the top of the story.

Fanfic appearing in other categories is probably as much a matter of Laurel not knowing the source material as anything else.

The Celeb and Fanfic category doesn't allow non-consent, so that's something you need to consider.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

A Fine Substitute

04/30/17

Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
The Celebs category was renamed "Celebrities and Fan Fiction" quite some time ago.

Regardless of genre, that's where all fanfic is supposed to go.
The category description says "Parodies & erotic fan fiction about famous people". Is there some other guidance that says all fanfic is supposed to go there? Or can non-celeb fanfic that also qualifies for some other category go there instead, should the author prefer?

Quote:
Exceptions are sometimes made, but official exceptions are rare and require having the category disclaimer attached to the top of the story.
Speaking of which - am I missing something, or has that disclaimer disappeared? I remember seeing it at the beginning of every story in that category when I looked a few years back, but when I check today it's not showing up.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

Not in the FAQs or anything, but when we were doing the Virtual Reality chain, Laurel gave us permission put the stories in the Chain Stories category if we added the disclaimer from the Celebs category to the beginning of every story in the chain.

It's been discussed a few times since, and it's always come down that fanfic belongs in that category. It was further cemented by renaming the category to include the word Fanfic a while back.

A Fine Substitute

04/30/17

Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
SFCTaleSpinner
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperatorMentus View Post
Some factors automatically take precedence when it comes to categorizing a story. For example, I believe that if a story involves incest, that automatically categorizes it as an incest story, regardless of whether or not it leans more towards another category.

In other words, if you plan to write a story about Ron Weasley's wild one night stand with Ginny, that story will end up in the incest board, even though it could equally be claimed to be a Fanfic or even a Sci-Fi/Fantasy story.

At least, that's my understanding of how the system works...

Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

No, some of the categories are more or less immune from squick switching. Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Novels and Novellas, Non Human, Erotic Horror, Celebrities and Fanfic, and Chain Stories, off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCTaleSpinner View Post
Some factors automatically take precedence when it comes to categorizing a story. For example, I believe that if a story involves incest, that automatically categorizes it as an incest story, regardless of whether or not it leans more towards another category.

In other words, if you plan to write a story about Ron Weasley's wild one night stand with Ginny, that story will end up in the incest board, even though it could equally be claimed to be a Fanfic or even a Sci-Fi/Fantasy story.

At least, that's my understanding of how the system works...

A Fine Substitute

04/30/17

Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
SFCTaleSpinner
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
No, some of the categories are more or less immune from squick switching. Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Novels and Novellas, Non Human, Erotic Horror, Celebrities and Fanfic, and Chain Stories, off the top of my head.
My mistake.