It's a day for lovers - and for writers! To celebrate Valentine's Day, here comes the annual Valentine's Day Contest - where you can heart your way to fame, fun, and prizes.
You may begin submitting your entries on January 20
. The last day to submit contest entries is February 5
. We will announce the 3 winners on February 12
. This contest will coexist with the usual monthly contest. Stories may only win one or the other, not both contests simultaneously. The prizes for the top 3 stories will be the same as those awarded in the monthly contests:
First Place: $150 Cash Prize
Second Place: $100 Cash Prize
Third Place: $75 Cash Prize
You can discuss this special contest at Ogg's Special Contest Support Thread(TM)
for the monthly contests are in place. The only exceptions to the rules are:
- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission.
- We will allow authors who have won in our monthly contests within the last 6 months to win in this special contest. However, if you have won a prize in another theme contest within the last 6 months, you are not eligible to win in this one.
- A story has only to accrue 25 votes to be eligible, rather than the 50 required for the monthly contest.
The following guidelines also apply:
- All contest stories must be submitted via our online form. If you are a WebTV user or have difficulty with the form, follow the instructions here.
- Author must put the phrase "VALENTINE'S DAY STORY CONTEST 2009" in the "Notes" field of the submission. Please do not forget to put this phrase IN THE NOTES FIELD - NOT the description field or anywhere else. If it is not in the NOTES field, we cannot easily find your story and it may not be approved in a timely manner and entered into the contest!!
- Story must have a Valentine's Day theme: Cupid, chocolates, gifts, romantic love, the day itself, etc. Be creative! Please don't just submit a normal story, throwing in a few truffles and a red g-string. That would not be in the spirit of the contest, and readers & voters would probably punish you for your trickiness.
Any story that meets the above criteria will be automatically entered into the contest, and winners will be decided by reader input (aka votes). The prizes for the top 3 stories will be the same as those awarded in the monthly contests.
: Once your story is submitted, it may take over 72 hours for it to be posted. We strongly
suggest that you do not wait till the last day of the contest to submit your story. The sooner you submit, the better chance your story has of accruing the votes necessary to be eligible.
The full 2009 Special Contest schedule can be found here
Good luck, and have fun!