Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
anonintexas1999
Virgin
 
anonintexas1999 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2
why can't Literotica send out notification emails

When one of your favorite authors publish? I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum. I was not sure where to post.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 38,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonintexas1999 View Post
When one of your favorite authors publish? I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum. I was not sure where to post.
This is a question to go directly to the site editor, Laurel, via the Private Message (PM) system at the upper right of this page.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #3
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru
 
elfin_odalisque's Avatar
 
elfin_odalisque is offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: if I'm not all there, I must be here.
Posts: 6,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonintexas1999 View Post
When one of your favorite authors publish? I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum. I was not sure where to post.
Hang on a moment. Lit gives a platform for amateur writers to post free erotica. How and why should the site spend time and money tracing and following every reader's erotic proclivities?

Keep a list of your favorite writers and follow the new lists and search their sites here.
__________________
Elfin's Emissions
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #4
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.
 
Zeb_Carter's Avatar
 
Zeb_Carter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a state...
Posts: 11,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin_odalisque View Post
Hang on a moment. Lit gives a platform for amateur writers to post free erotica. How and why should the site spend time and money tracing and following every reader's erotic proclivities?

Keep a list of your favorite writers and follow the new lists and search their sites here.
Because todays people want it now, they don't want to look it up, search for it, or even think about it...they want everyone else to notify them.

Bookmark your favorite authors and click on the bookmark once in awhile. Any new stories published by them will have a "New" tag, black on yellow, behind them.
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #5
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
This is a question to go directly to the site editor, Laurel, via the Private Message (PM) system at the upper right of this page.
I think the location of the PM system depends on what skin you're using. I use aria chocolate-liquid and PM is under a quick links drop down list in a row of drop downs and about in the middle of the top of the page.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #6
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru
 
elfin_odalisque's Avatar
 
elfin_odalisque is offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: if I'm not all there, I must be here.
Posts: 6,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
Because todays people want it now, they don't want to look it up, search for it, or even think about it...they want everyone else to notify them.

Bookmark your favorite authors and click on the bookmark once in awhile. Any new stories published by them will have a "New" tag, black on yellow, behind them.
Isn't it more the author's job to keep a file or have a facebook page of fans that can be mailed?
__________________
Elfin's Emissions
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #7
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.
 
Zeb_Carter's Avatar
 
Zeb_Carter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a state...
Posts: 11,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin_odalisque View Post
Isn't it more the author's job to keep a file or have a facebook page of fans that can be mailed?
Sure if I'm making them pay for my stuff...but the free stuff?

If they want to read it, come look for it.
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #8
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 38,708
I'll agree with Zeb on this. I don't ambulance chase readers. I don't like receiving such push promotion myself. If they want to read me again, they know where to find my list.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #9
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru
 
Handley_Page's Avatar
 
Handley_Page is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 41,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonintexas1999 View Post
When one of your favorite authors publish? I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum. I was not sure where to post.
I think the short answer is:
"The machine is not (/can not be) set up for such a function."
__________________
.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #10
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is online now
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 29,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
I think the short answer is:
"The machine is not (/can not be) set up for such a function."
More along the lines of the machine has better things to do than hold a readers hand. Somethings you just have to do for yourself.
__________________
"Summer Lovin Contest" New Story: Cherrie 8/26/2015 E&V

"Summer Lovin Contest" New Story: Hilary 08/21/2015 E&V

New Story: Musing on the Age 08/20/2015 L&T

New Story: Early Morning Inspiration 8/19/2015 E&V


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #11
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin_odalisque View Post
Isn't it more the author's job to keep a file or have a facebook page of fans that can be mailed?
It's no one's job, or everyone's depending on how you look at it. The author could keep a list and alert those who want to know about new stories. I did this for a while. Or the reader could keep track of the authors, if it's important to them.

But it's true, people like to be notified. Notice how every app you install asks about that? People prefer to have the link, etc., given to them. They're probably more likely to follow it than if they have to search it out. Right now I'd say Lit is probably just behind the times on that, but I imagine it's not hurting them.
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 38,708
I'm from an earlier, more independent, less babysat generation.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #13
HeyAll
Literotica Guru
 
HeyAll is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,143
Here's the problem:

Readers would be BOMBARDED with notifications from different authors.
__________________
Bondage Wife- Maureen learns submissive pleasures from a dominatrix.
Bondage Professor- Sabrina is taught the pleasure of bondage submission.

In a Room Full of People- Catherine is hired to appear nude for an upscale party.
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #14
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I'm from an earlier, more independent, less babysat generation.
It's not about babysitting.

I worked for a newsletter publishing company as they added online content to the existing print content. We publish on a regular schedule, weekly or biweekly depending on the issue, and some stuff is sent out daily. I still create these files to send to various subscribers. They want it, and they are the customers, so they get it, although we perhaps had the advantage of building that in from the beginning. (Of course, they were also paying customers, which is different from Lit.)

I don't think it's unusual for people to want this feature. It's a pretty common thing. Fanfiction.net does it, for one, and I imagine other writing sites do as well. If Lit doesn't want to, or can't yet, no problem.

It's like various features in cars -- they became standard. This is fairly standard and people inquiring about it are not wanting to be babysat, they're just asking about a common feature.
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #15
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 38,708
Oh, I think it is largely about babysitting. Technology is such now that users assume there's a technical fix for everything to give them the exact tailored service they want to have--without weighing the expense and effort of that against how much effort they would have to expend themselves to do it for themselves--or how much they really need to have it at all. Like not taking responsibility for themselves that we see much of around here, they expect someone else to tailor everything to their perceived "need" (which often isn't a need at all).
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #16
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is online now
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 29,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
It's not about babysitting.

I worked for a newsletter publishing company as they added online content to the existing print content. We publish on a regular schedule, weekly or biweekly depending on the issue, and some stuff is sent out daily. I still create these files to send to various subscribers. They want it, and they are the customers, so they get it, although we perhaps had the advantage of building that in from the beginning. (Of course, they were also paying customers, which is different from Lit.)

I don't think it's unusual for people to want this feature. It's a pretty common thing. Fanfiction.net does it, for one, and I imagine other writing sites do as well. If Lit doesn't want to, or can't yet, no problem.

It's like various features in cars -- they became standard. This is fairly standard and people inquiring about it are not wanting to be babysat, they're just asking about a common feature.
With the size and traffic across this site, trying something like notifications would bog the system down to no end. It would take servers dedicated to just that, not to mention the bandwidth it would take up.

A smaller site set up that way from the start maybe but here and now... Not much hope of it happening.
__________________
"Summer Lovin Contest" New Story: Cherrie 8/26/2015 E&V

"Summer Lovin Contest" New Story: Hilary 08/21/2015 E&V

New Story: Musing on the Age 08/20/2015 L&T

New Story: Early Morning Inspiration 8/19/2015 E&V


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM   #17
SikFuk
Really Experienced
 
SikFuk is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 268
Couldn't the OP PM the author with an email addy and request notifications?
__________________
My sick stories:
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #18
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru
 
Handley_Page's Avatar
 
Handley_Page is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 41,923
A thought

If there was a "New stories" thread, an Author could easily put up a notice to say "Hey - I've got another up" or similar. Then the readers interested merely need to have a look for themselves.

Ah well, perhaps not, then.
__________________
.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #19
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is online now
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 29,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
A thought

If there was a "New stories" thread, an Author could easily put up a notice to say "Hey - I've got another up" or similar. Then the readers interested merely need to have a look for themselves.

Ah well, perhaps not, then.
Two problems with that. Fist off, the reader would have to check the thread. Why not just check the authors list. Second of all, the thread would get huge in a hurry. The favorite authors list would be easier to scan.

Anyway, they seem to want to be notified in person.
__________________
"Summer Lovin Contest" New Story: Cherrie 8/26/2015 E&V

"Summer Lovin Contest" New Story: Hilary 08/21/2015 E&V

New Story: Musing on the Age 08/20/2015 L&T

New Story: Early Morning Inspiration 8/19/2015 E&V


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #20
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 38,708
A New Stories thread already exists: http://forum.literotica.com/showthre...81349&page=125
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #21
Manu
Loser, Baby
 
Manu's Avatar
 
Manu is offline
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: CA
Posts: 738
Notifications are coming.

There are a couple of concerns with notifications for a site the size of Literotica, especially one with adult content.

With on-site notifications, the concerns are just resources. We can overcome that with more (or faster) servers. That costs money, but in general, with hardware getting cheaper and faster, it is probably something that we can handle. We won't know for sure how the system will work until we start testing with real users.

Email notifications are a little more complicated because some large ISPs automatically block emails from any site (especially those with adult content) that is sending a large volume of daily emails to their users. We have been pretty successful at working with these ISPs to remove bans over the years, but there are cases where ISPs are not too friendly to websites with adult content.

We have been doing closed testing of on-site notifications (along with a number of other new features that will be part of the Literotica redesign) and we are hoping to open that system up to BETA testing before too long.

All feedback, suggestions, and concerns are appreciated.
__________________
test
etee
t
ee1
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #22
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 23,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Notifications are coming.

There are a couple of concerns with notifications for a site the size of Literotica, especially one with adult content.

With on-site notifications, the concerns are just resources. We can overcome that with more (or faster) servers. That costs money, but in general, with hardware getting cheaper and faster, it is probably something that we can handle. We won't know for sure how the system will work until we start testing with real users.

Email notifications are a little more complicated because some large ISPs automatically block emails from any site (especially those with adult content) that is sending a large volume of daily emails to their users. We have been pretty successful at working with these ISPs to remove bans over the years, but there are cases where ISPs are not too friendly to websites with adult content.

We have been doing closed testing of on-site notifications (along with a number of other new features that will be part of the Literotica redesign) and we are hoping to open that system up to BETA testing before too long.

All feedback, suggestions, and concerns are appreciated.
Just pointing out that a downside for authors-as obviously this is something readers want-is that if they start getting e-mails every time an author they like has a story out then they are most likely not going to favorite authors as much.

Also as far as lit itself goes, if these people are fed links to stories they will read them and possibly not come here and look around as much.

Personally....I think this is an example of how damn lazy and impatient people are and that laziness doesn't always need to be catered to and enabled. They have searched for stories for years, they can keep doing it.
__________________
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #23
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru
 
Handley_Page's Avatar
 
Handley_Page is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 41,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Notifications are coming.

There are a couple of concerns with notifications for a site the size of Literotica, especially one with adult content.

With on-site notifications, the concerns are just resources. We can overcome that with more (or faster) servers. That costs money, but in general, with hardware getting cheaper and faster, it is probably something that we can handle. We won't know for sure how the system will work until we start testing with real users.

Email notifications are a little more complicated because some large ISPs automatically block emails from any site (especially those with adult content) that is sending a large volume of daily emails to their users. We have been pretty successful at working with these ISPs to remove bans over the years, but there are cases where ISPs are not too friendly to websites with adult content.

We have been doing closed testing of on-site notifications (along with a number of other new features that will be part of the Literotica redesign) and we are hoping to open that system up to BETA testing before too long.

All feedback, suggestions, and concerns are appreciated.

Thank you, Manu.
__________________
.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #24
theravenfox
Aural Sex Goddess
 
theravenfox's Avatar
 
theravenfox is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 5,116
It WOULD be a handy feature for Literotica to have. In the meantime, maybe you could ask if your favorite author(s) has a mailing list to which you can subscribe. That's how I notify my listeners of my latest activities.
__________________
I'm in the AH Directory

For personalized audio erotica, contact me at RavenFoxAudio@gmail.com

check out these sample stories:
Cupid's Third Arrow new 02-04-2015
A Special Valentine Cherry - Lesbian
She Needs A Montage
Zen Love Everlasting
Adriano's Creation
The Officer And The Naked Girl
LINK TO MY SUBMISSION PAGE. Check it out, more stories there!

CHECK OUT THE NEW WEBSITE!!!
RavenFoxAudio.NET Join now for steamy updates!

RavenFox Audio Facebook Fan Page
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #25
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,424
Huh, I was just about to post about not holding your breath since the stories are free (meaning if we were paying they'd have been all over it) when I saw Manu's post.

That makes sense to do it if it's reasonably cost effective since it enhances the freebie experience, drawing/keeping more folk here where they will, hopefully, spend some money and keep the advertisers happy, which is usually where the real money is.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.