Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
SandraMustard
Literotica Guru

Dialogue question.

In dialogue, I want to express a person saying only the first syllable of the name Suzie. I don't know whether to spell a shortened 'Suz' or phonetically like 'Sooze'. The first looks right but I'm afraid a reader will give it a short 'u' sound. I have the full 'Suzie' outside the dialogue just two sentences before so it should be clear.

Forgive my over analyzing, but what do y'all think?

My novel (personal sexual awakening): Waiting To Be His

My Author's Hangout profile: AH Profile

Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Tio_Narratore
Everybody Party!

I think the first syllable of /suziy/ is /su/; the second syllable is /ziy/. If I wanted to write the "Suz" nickname, I'd likely try "Sooz" if I thought "Suz" would be misheard.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
PennLady
Literotica Guru

I'd go with "Suze," myself; I think that's what I've seen written before but I couldn't provide a link to anything. But "Sooz" is also good. Either one gets the right sound across.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
shutterpsb
Experienced

I agree with PL. I tend to have characters use nicknames in dialogue, but the full name in narration. Most readers catch on pretty quick.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
SandraMustard
Literotica Guru

You're right Tio. I want the nickname, more than the first syllable. But 'Sooz' just looks too odd. Here is the context:
Quote:
Suzie turned to catch me staring. "You want some of me?"

Lisa's rebuke was stern. "Back off, Suz."

Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
SandraMustard
Literotica Guru

I like your idea, PL

Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
legerdemer
still a wistful optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMustard View Post
I like your idea, PL
I'd also go with Suze. Definitely not Sooz - just looks wrong!

(I'm very visual. And audial, and... )

Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Tio_Narratore
Everybody Party!

Yes. I'll have to agree. Audiovisually Suze looks best. I also think it is the standard English version of that nickname. Sorry for having overlooked it.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: soaking in a hot spring in a spruce forest with moose and caribou wandering past under a full moon while Japanese tourists, trying to fulfill the legend of procreating the next Emperor, screw in the underbrush as the Aurora Borealis flicker overhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterpsb View Post
I agree with PL. I tend to have characters use nicknames in dialogue, but the full name in narration. Most readers catch on pretty quick.
That's my approach too, same as with contractions. <rant> IMHO narrative is clearest when it's formal and grammatical. Dialogue is, well, flawed and human. And even though we don't write dialogue the way people actually speak, we get a closer approximation. </rant> And yes, go with Suze. As it happens, I'm writing a period Western piece containing this setup:
Conor was taken in by two Hopi sisters with a rough and tidy home outside Walpi pueblo on First Mesa. The cowboy called them Sue and Lue because he lacked patience and accent to say Suyala'Ngwa (Winter Deer) and Lumahongva (Beautiful Clouds).
I'm torn. Do I write their vocalized nicknames as Sue and Lue, or Soo and Loo, or Su and Lu, or (to be ironic) Sü and Lü (with umlauts)?

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Recent incestuous tastes: Pumpkin & Candy, Spirits, Turkey (Dad) (Mom), Kumquat
Valentine Contest entry: Ghost of a Chance. Wait for my April Fool's Contest entry, okay?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
I'm torn. Do I write their vocalized nicknames as Sue and Lue, or Soo and Loo, or Su and Lu, or (to be ironic) Sü and Lü (with umlauts)?
I'd write "Sue" and "Lou." He's Americanizing the names, right? That's how they'd be written for American names.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
jomar
chillin

If the reader already knows her name you can go with Suz.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
rjordan
Really Experienced

Give all your characters one syllable names. Problem solved!

rj

Old 02-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
QuietLibrarian
Too sexy for my socks.

I personally know someone who gets called the shortened version of Susan. In email her friend types "Sooz." I asked her about this when I read your post. She said she thought "Suze" reads to her like "Excuse" or "use."

I'm not a writer and don't know if this has any bearing on your situation but thought I'd throw it into the ring.

"Brevity is the soul of wit." - William Shakespeare
(If that's the case I might just be one of the daftest people I know.)

Old 02-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
QuietLibrarian
Too sexy for my socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietLibrarian View Post
I personally know someone who gets called the shortened version of Susan. In email her friend types "Sooz." I asked her about this when I read your post. She said she thought "Suze" reads to her like "Excuse" or "use."

I'm not a writer and don't know if this has any bearing on your situation but thought I'd throw it into the ring.
ETA: She hates being called Sooz. lol

"Brevity is the soul of wit." - William Shakespeare
(If that's the case I might just be one of the daftest people I know.)

Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
If the reader already knows her name you can go with Suz.
True, but as a reader, if I saw that my initial reaction would be to read it with a short u, as "suhz." I guess because we're taught to use the long vowel sound when we see the silent e at the end of a word.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Add the 'E' and make it "Suze".
I think it's absolutely clear, then.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 02-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: soaking in a hot spring in a spruce forest with moose and caribou wandering past under a full moon while Japanese tourists, trying to fulfill the legend of procreating the next Emperor, screw in the underbrush as the Aurora Borealis flicker overhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
I'd write "Sue" and "Lou." He's Americanizing the names, right? That's how they'd be written for American names.
I thought about that but Lou just strikes me wrong. (Reminds me of the joke: "Yey, fella, what's your name?" "They call me Tex." "You from Texas, then?" "No, I'm from Louisiana." "Then how come your name is Tex?" "Because I don't like to be called Louise." Okay, shoot me now.)

Anyway, the story context: Conor (white trash from Tennessee) is a cowboy in 1890's Arizona -- think of a Zane Grey setting. The Hopi names aren't so much Americanized as Dixiefied. I'd go with Soo and Loo except for the implications of the latter.

[/me smacks forehead, leaves big dent] Wait, I have a solution. I'll find a Hopi name other than Lumahongva (Beautiful Clouds). A name that starts with Ru- and can be Dixified as Rue. Sue and Rue. Yeah, that'll work. [/me pats self on back, strains arm] [/me looks up Hopi names -- oh bugger --ain't none that start with R -- guess I'll have to fake it -- I know, Lue/Lou/Lu has a lisp and pronounces her name Rumahongva so he calls her Rue. Whew.]

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Recent incestuous tastes: Pumpkin & Candy, Spirits, Turkey (Dad) (Mom), Kumquat
Valentine Contest entry: Ghost of a Chance. Wait for my April Fool's Contest entry, okay?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #18
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

What's the motivation of just taking one letter off of it in dialogue just to save one letter? Seems just confusing to the reader for me. A shortened name for Suzie, though, would be Suz. In either case I would know that the "u" would be said with an "ooo" sound.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #19
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.

Or you could go with "Sue". Do you really need the "z"?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #20
FantasyXY
Really Experienced

When I read either one of these I get a slightly different vibe. It's all about the way people read into how "proper" the writing is.

Because it is so loose and informal, Sooz seems close and endearing. It's as if the person saying this is very close and friendly with Susan.

Suz and Suze feel more like someone is just repeating what others call Susan.

Link to my stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #21
SandraMustard
Literotica Guru

This is getting out of hand. I had named her Suzie for no particular reason. These are girlfriend/roommates so when I came to a short dialogue exchange, I opted to try a typical nickname but agonized over how to spell it.

Fuck it. I'm changing the whole tenor of the sentence. Since Suzie was flirting with Lisa's latest boyfriend, "Back off, Suze." becomes "Back off, bitch." Problem solved.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #22
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

Quote:
Fuck it. I'm changing the whole tenor of the sentence. Since Suzie was flirting with Lisa's latest boyfriend, "Back off, Suze." becomes "Back off, bitch." Problem solved.
And they all lived happily ever after.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #23
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Not really if I was the reader. I wouldn't know why you just took out the "i." I see that final "e" as confusing and wondering what different it's trying to tell me from either "Suzie" or "Suz." But it's yours to do as you like with, and it's sort of a really small detail to be getting hung up on.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie

Just tossing in that Suzie is usually a nick name for Susan-I'm pretty sure- so her nick name has a nick name...

The queen is the most powerful piece in the game of chess and frequently has to protect the rather weak king.

Just like in real life.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #25
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Not really if I was the reader. I wouldn't know why you just took out the "i." I see that final "e" as confusing and wondering what different it's trying to tell me from either "Suzie" or "Suz." But it's yours to do as you like with, and it's sort of a really small detail to be getting hung up on.
It is a detail, and not worth too much trouble, but I think it's interesting how different people would pronounce things as they see them written. If I saw "Suz," like I said, my first reaction would be to hear "Suhz" in my head. "Suze," to me, would be "Sooz" and not "Sooz-ee." If I wanted that, I'd write "Suzie" or "Susie" (I've seen both). Perhaps just going with "Sue" is easier if the author is really concerned.

It reminds me a bit of an older thread about names like Sean/Shawn. If I see "Sean," I think of a guy, whereas "Shawn" to me would indicate a woman. But that wouldn't work for everyone.