Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > General Board

Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Tart As Fuck
Deckel Edged

What are you fuckers reading?

Anything blown your socks off lately?

I know there's a thread for this somewhere but can't find it.

Tell me.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
chillywilly2
AKA Bean

Latest Jack reacher to come into paperback will be started while I'm sitting in a tree Saturday

Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
JohnnySavage
scapolo

Vernor Vinge is my current author.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Tart As Fuck
Deckel Edged

I've recently finished an Oliver Reed biog - What Fresh Lunacy Is This - Robert Sellers, which was bloody fab.

I've got some old fashioned ghost story/haunting ones but am saving them to read over the Christmas fortnight.

I'm just about to start The White Hotel by D M Thomas because Mariella Frostrup has been singing it's praises.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Peregrinator
Hooded On A Hill

Currently part way through:

The Gun
Pursuit Of Honor
The Vikings
Winter World
Best Science Writing 2010 (so sue me, I'm a few years behind)
History Of Necrotizing Enterocolitis Investigation
Acute Necrotizing Enterocolitis In Infancy: A Review Of 64 Cases
The Walking Dead Volume 2

"Your amiable slut makes the best of cooks."
~Dr. Steven Maturin, in The Surgeon's Mate, by Patrick O'Brian

"I saw you earlier, on the Discovery channel. You were terrorizing the nesting seabirds on the cliffs. You were totally awesome when you caught one of those somebitches in midair."
~StonedFox, to me.

There are some whose words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)
"You're confident but kind, articulate and slightly bent."
~SheRem, to me.

This is what some of me looks like. Some twat's tits!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Ulaven_Demorte
Non-Prophet Organization

I'm reading (well listening to) "The Infernal Devices book 1: Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare at the moment.

After that I'll do my annual reading of "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
Men are expendable; women and children are not. A tribe or a nation can lose a high percentage of its men and still pick up the pieces and go on… as long as the women and children are saved. But if you fail to save the women and children, you've had it, you're done, you're through! You join Tyrannosaurus Rex, one more breed that bilged its final test. - Robert Heinlein, "The Pragmatics of Patriotism"

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
dolf
Taking a break

maths. it's not really sock blowing.

If the sky falls I can dance on the stars.
And if the stars fall then the darkness is ours.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
trysail
Catch Me Who Can

The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Defender Of The Realm (1940-1965) by William Manchester and Paul Reid. New York, NY 2012.

The Years of Lyndon Johnson: The Passage of Power by Robert A. Caro. New York, NY 2012.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Farrah
Fluffy

I discovered Mo Hayder, read everything she's written and am now stuck waiting for a new release. If anyone's read her, and can recommend a similar writer, I would be grateful.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Tart As Fuck
Deckel Edged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
I discovered Mo Hayder, read everything she's written and am now stuck waiting for a new release. If anyone's read her, and can recommend a similar writer, I would be grateful.
I read one of hers a few years back that was strange and compelling. I think it was called Pig Island.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
JohnnySavage
scapolo

Quote:
Karin Slaughter

Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
yossi
Scout

Smut recently. Not very decent smut I guess since I can't even think of titles. I read the Beekeeper's Apprentice and really enjoyed it! And I'm partially through the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali. I think that's how his name is spelled. I can't be bothered to look it up.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Presently reading

THE CHOIRBOYS by Joseph Wambaugh
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN by Cormac McCarthy
COGANS TRADE by George V. Higgins
MR. PARADISE by Elmore Leonard
GODS POCKET by Pete Dexter

Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Farrah
Fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata Morgana View Post
I read one of hers a few years back that was strange and compelling. I think it was called Pig Island.
I discovered her with Pig Island, too. It was really creepy and plot twisty. Her other books are just as good. I'm kind of obsessed with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySavage View Post
Karin Slaughter
Ah, there we go. I've read a few of hers, but Google tells me not nearly all. Thanks, Johnny.

Also, I think it was you who mentioned NOS482 in another thread. I was really surprised by that one. Really pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Tart As Fuck
Deckel Edged

Quote:
I can't remember if that one was crime or horror, or a bit of both?

S J Bolton has written some good ones - check her out. But you MUST read them in sequence. They are crime but ghosty/creepy thrown in. Her last three (I think) have all been about the same female detective but all her books are sorta connected.

If you like horror Adam Nevill is aces. His The Ritual creeped me the fuck out. F G Cottam is another British author I love, his are ghost stories usually based around celtic myths and figures in history.

One I devoured recently was called Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It was that good I was tempted to ring in sick at work to continue reading. Gripping stuff.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
KingOrfeo
Literotica Guru

The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate, by Robert D. Kaplan.
"Short of walking into a conversation, sandblasting the brick and installing track lighting, there is no surer way to announce one is from the 1980s than to mount an assault on 'political correctness,' the contemporary phrase for which is 'not being a jackass.'"

—Tabatha Southey

"I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable, but the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property . . . Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there are in any country uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right."

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Tart As Fuck
Deckel Edged

Quote:
I discovered her with Pig Island, too. It was really creepy and plot twisty. Her other books are just as good. I'm kind of obsessed with her.
I've not read any others so I might have to now! Which of her others are creepy? I love creepy.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
remy_lebeau8
double canister

Recently its been the game of thrones series. Read the first four. Before that was Keith Richards, buddy guy, and Eric Clapton bios

Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
Peregrinator
Hooded On A Hill

Oh, yeah, I forgot about The Natural Navigator.

"Your amiable slut makes the best of cooks."
~Dr. Steven Maturin, in The Surgeon's Mate, by Patrick O'Brian

"I saw you earlier, on the Discovery channel. You were terrorizing the nesting seabirds on the cliffs. You were totally awesome when you caught one of those somebitches in midair."
~StonedFox, to me.

There are some whose words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)
"You're confident but kind, articulate and slightly bent."
~SheRem, to me.

This is what some of me looks like. Some twat's tits!

Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
4est_4est_Gump
Run Forrest! RUN!

While you're ordering "The True Believer," order "The Ordeal of Change."

It should take no more than an afternoon.

Maybe longer if, as I suspect, your lips move when you read...

Old 11-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
Adre
Never explain

AJ can't even contribute to a reading reco thread without hurling an insult. Do I detect an inferiority complex behind the bravado?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Farrah
Fluffy

Quote:
I can't remember if that one was crime or horror, or a bit of both?

S J Bolton has written some good ones - check her out. But you MUST read them in sequence. They are crime but ghosty/creepy thrown in. Her last three (I think) have all been about the same female detective but all her books are sorta connected.

If you like horror Adam Nevill is aces. His The Ritual creeped me the fuck out. F G Cottam is another British author I love, his are ghost stories usually based around celtic myths and figures in history.

One I devoured recently was called Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It was that good I was tempted to ring in sick at work to continue reading. Gripping stuff.
Quote:
I've not read any others so I might have to now! Which of her others are creepy? I love creepy.
Now I'm all itchy to get to the library. I LOVE creepy. The creepier, the better.
And after reading Hayder and a few others, I've decided British writers do creepy better than American writers. Especially when it comes to ghosts and whodunnits.

I really don't know how to classify Mo Hayder. Creepy thriller crime? There are tiny threads of supernatural woven throughout. I'll quote Pig Island's wiki page...The novel is nominally a thriller which mixes elements of the detective novel with more overt horror influences. I would say the rest of her novels are written in the same style. The bulk of them follow a detective inspector named Jack Caffery. He first appears in Birdman. The most recent Caffery novel is called Poppet, and it was pee-my-pants creepy. Her most critically acclaimed novel is probably Tokyo, one of 3 books outside of the Caffery series. All of her books are graphic. And they're all fantastic.

And now I sound like a weirdo super fan.

I mentioned NOS4A2. Have you read that? It's by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill. It's mega creepy. IMO, it's as good (though definitely different) as a lot of King's works.

Can you tell it's been forever since I had the opportunity to talk books?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
4est_4est_Gump
Run Forrest! RUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adre View Post
AJ can't even contribute to a reading reco thread without hurling an insult. Do I detect an inferiority complex behind the bravado?
Personal trolls are such a sweet flattery...

Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
Tart As Fuck
Deckel Edged

Quote:
Now I'm all itchy to get to the library. I LOVE creepy. The creepier, the better.
And after reading Hayder and a few others, I've decided British writers do creepy better than American writers. Especially when it comes to ghosts and whodunnits.

I really don't know how to classify Mo Hayder. Creepy thriller crime? There are tiny threads of supernatural woven throughout. I'll quote Pig Island's wiki page...The novel is nominally a thriller which mixes elements of the detective novel with more overt horror influences. I would say the rest of her novels are written in the same style. The bulk of them follow a detective inspector named Jack Caffery. He first appears in Birdman. The most recent Caffery novel is called Poppet, and it was pee-my-pants creepy. Her most critically acclaimed novel is probably Tokyo, one of 3 books outside of the Caffery series. All of her books are graphic. And they're all fantastic.

And now I sound like a weirdo super fan.

I mentioned NOS4A2. Have you read that? It's by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill. It's mega creepy. IMO, it's as good (though definitely different) as a lot of King's works.

Can you tell it's been forever since I had the opportunity to talk books?
Ooh. I looked at Poppet but put it back because I must have seen it was a follow-on. I must try these then. Yes I think British writers do creepy better. Adam Nevill's stuff is insidious. Try The Ritual (I remember the first half really got under my skin) and Apartment 16 (might be wrong number there but you'll find it). I have his new one about a haunted house full of spooky antique dolls but am saving that for Christmas reading. He's strictly spook where as S J Bolton is creepy-thriller-crime as you say!

I've not read Joe Hill's new one. I liked his others though and writes very much like his Dad. Recently finished Doctor Sleep by King and loved that and was prepared to be disappointed but was pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Wat_Tyler
Spambivalent

I'm reading . . . words.

Yeah, that's it.

Words . . . .