A serious discussion about BDSM and weight

BeachGurl2

Sarcastic Smart Sexyass
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Posts
4,919
First, I feel the need to preface this post with a disclaimer because I know that there will be many here who will see my post as insulting to larger people. That is NOT my intent at all. My intent is to have a serious discussion about weight in the lifestyle. I am not flaming anyone based on their weight. That is not at all what this is about. I even considered creating an alt for this post, but realized that people who know me would know my writing style anyway. This is a topic that I have been curious about for a very long time, and have finally decided to just post it. If you feel hurt by what I am posting, I apologize in advance because I do not intend in any way for what I say here to be hurtful to anyone. So please take this thread as it is intended, as a serious discussion item and not as an insult in any way, shape or form.

I am what I consider to be of average size for my age. I am within a healthy weight range for my height and bone structure. I weight about 125 pounds, I’m 5’2” tall, and wear a size 6-8 US. I am a physically active person. I don’t work out regularly at the gym, but I hike, swim, and do other outdoor activities. I don’t watch TV, but I do sit around and read a lot. I don’t always eat healthily, but I allow myself whatever I want to have in moderation. If I splurge a bit one day, I watch more carefully what I eat the next day or two. Nothing is off my list of things I allow myself, I just eat everything in moderation. I rarely have second helpings of anything, even at Thanksgiving dinner. And I hate feeling physically uncomfortable when I’ve eaten too much. I could probably lose another 10 pounds, which would still be within my healthy weight range, but I don’t allow myself to obsess about it.

I have struggled with an eating disorder pretty much since I was a teenager. I have a very skewed image of my own body. While I was married, I gained quite a bit of weight. My largest size was 14-16, which on my very petite frame made me look like a giant oompa loompa. I was physically uncomfortable. I had no stamina for anything and overheated easily. If I over exerted, it was painful. I had little energy and struggled to do normal activities, much less the activities I enjoyed. Even though I’ve lost most of the weight I gained then, I still feel that my body is unattractive. I’ll probably always feel that way about myself. But I have a better handle on behaving in healthy ways than I did in my 20s and even into my 30s. I just bought the first scale I’ve owned in probably 15 years and have to remind myself not to weigh more than once a day or I’ll weigh every time I enter the bathroom.

I have noticed both in online forums and in the local BDSM community that the majority of people I meet are, if not clinically obese, severely overweight. At first, it seemed it was mostly female submissives who were overweight, mostly when visiting the dungeon a few years ago, but I’ve recently noticed a pretty equal number of male Dominants as well. I often see ads and threads extolling the virtues of BBW. Men who seek larger women, as well as women who seek larger men.

I think partly because I am physically active and partly just because of what I personally find attractive, I am not physically attracted to men who are very overweight. I prefer a man who takes care of himself and who is physically active. Someone who can keep up with me in physical activities. I also have seen first hand what excessive weight gain can do to a person’s physical health because my mother is seriously overweight, so the idea of having weight-related health issues frightens me. It also frightens me to think of tying myself to someone who may develop weight-related health issues. (Because those are the most easily avoided by controlling weight.)

So all of that said, if you’re still with me on this, I do have a few questions for the group.

Is it just my own perception, or does this lifestyle seem to have an unusually high percentage of overweight individuals who are active within it? Or do you think that those within the lifestyle mirror those in society as a whole?

If you are in a D/s or M/s dynamic, is your partner in the same physical state (meaning physically fit or overweight) that you are in or are you physically opposites?

As a Dominant/Master, do you encourage your submissive/slave to be health conscious? If not, is it because it is not important to you or because you are attracted to someone who is BBW?

If you are overweight, do you find that you have difficulty being as physically active as you would like to be? Are you comfortable being partially or fully unclothed if you play in public or at private parties with others?

I have heard it said on more than one occasion that most Dominants prefer larger submissives because they aren’t as afraid that they will ‘break’. I’ve found that to be an unfair statement toward submissives who aren’t large. But then again, I would imagine that a very strong male Dominant would wrap his hand around my wrist or my neck and probably wonder if I’m physically up to accepting whatever he wants to dish out. So maybe it’s not such an unfair statement after all.

What has precipitated the posting of these thoughts and questions at this point? I guess since I’m asking for honesty here, I should share some of my own. I have found over the last few years of online and real life dating that many of the men I meet who are in the lifestyle have been very overweight. I’ve actually stopped dating completely, largely because of this. While I am physically attracted to large men, I prefer them to be physically fit, or at least height/weight proportionate. And a part of me wonders about the level of control a Dominant has over his own life if he is overweight. (Yes, let the flames begin.) When I think of volunteering to give my power up to someone else, while I don’t expect perfection because that’s just plain silly, I do expect that I’m giving my power to someone who has the ability to control not only himself, but me as well. And weight or physical fitness is one thing that I would expect someone who is in control to actually be in control of.

Is that a naïve viewpoint? I’m sure some here will think so. And I’m sure it’s one that has kept and will continue to keep me single.

I attended a munch today. There were probably about 2 dozen people there. I was the only female in the room that I would imagine did not wear a plus size. There were probably 2 or 3 men in the room who weren’t overweight, 2 of them submissives to 2 of the larger women. The restaurant we were in served overly large portions of standard diner food – deep fried and smothered in gravy. It took everything I could muster to look at people when they spoke because of the food they were eating. All of the people in the room were exceptionally nice people and I enjoyed myself immensely. But I won’t attend a munch again that includes eating.

Yes, as I said, this post has a point. I wonder how many in D/s or M/s relationships have Dominants who are in control enough and care enough to help motivate their submissive/slave to get and stay healthy. My post is not so much about weight (although I’m sure many here will think it is) but is about physical health. We do a lot of physically draining activities. If you aren’t in decent physical shape, how much enjoyment are you able to get out of them?

As the Dominant, shouldn’t the physical well-being of all parties be up to you? I’m curious as to how you may see your role in the physical well-being of not only yourself, but those under your care.

As the submissive, I’m curious as to how you see your own physical health in relation to your position in the dynamic.

So, as I said, I’d really like this to be a serious discussion. If you feel the need to flame me, I’d prefer if you do it via PM so that maybe we can keep it off the thread. Unless everyone wants to flame, and then I guess, have at it.
 
I'm a big girl, I have been all of my life. At my smallest I was a size 10 and weighed 165lbs at 5'3". When I got married, I had a nervous breakdown and ended up gaining a LOT of weight. At my heaviest I was a size 24 (or at least I stopped buying clothes that didn't have stretch bands at size 24) and weighed almost 400lbs. Life was hard then, I had to ease back into the activites that I loved so much. Now I'm a size 15 misses and 220-30lbs. ( I carry my weight well)

I am fairly careful with what I eat. I don't eat a lot of fried food, I've cut soda out of my diet opting insted for lots of water, I don't eat large meals but insted eat 4 small meals and two snacks, I'm on a doctor perscribed diet (because I'm hypoglycemic not for weight loss) and I exercise regularly. I don't kill myself doing it, but I have a set of exercises that both my former primary play partner (who was a trainer) and my Jounar have set for me. Plus when the weather is nice I have a 1.5 mile walk I like to do. I'm not as active as I could be, but I am active.

Neither one of those important men in my life started me on the exercise, nor did they insist on changing my diet or the switch to water. However, when I expressed that this was something that I would like their help on, they were very willing to step in and provide the motivation and outside disclipine that I need to keep me on track.

As you can see by my av, I'm not ashamed of how I look. There are some days I get out of bed, look in the mirror and go "damn I'm hot". It didn't happen overnight, but I'm comfortable with who I am. Now ultimitly I would like to get back down to a 10, but I'm not going to stress over it. As long as I'm maintaining my weight (not gaining) and sliming down then I'm happy.

Now, I'll admit, I'm kind of shallow when it comes to the men I choose. I like healthy looking men. A small belly is okay, but over all fit and firm. I'm not all jiggly, I expect them to not be as well. I'm not sure that it has as much to do with the idea that if you can't take care of yourself you can't take care of me (tho I'll admit that has crossed my mind, as well as how can one assert control over me when they can't contol their eating habbits) so much as I know what I'm attracted to and sex is a huge part of who I am. If the attraction isn't there, the sex isn't going to be, and things just aren't going to work.

I really don't think it has a lot to do with being in the lifestyle. I can go to one gathering and see a ton of heavy kinky people, and go to the same gathering a week later and see only a few. When I go north of me there tends to be fewer, when I go south there tends to be more. I think it has more to do with where you live than with kink, tho you will most likely find more weight fetishists in our crowd than in the nilla world, just because of the magic BDSM umbrella.

Ultimitly I look at it this way, I feel good about me (like I said, I pretty much feel like I'm hot), and I know what I like in a partner (which shallow as it sounds does have a lot to do with looks) and I'm okay with that, so why should I care what others think about it, or if they don't fit into what I consider attractive. If they are not bothering me, let them be as happy or as misserable as they like.
 
In my opinion it has less to do with kink than the fact that we live in America, which as a whole, is pretty overweight. Like the Captains Wench said, I think it also might depend on where you live. The munches that I've been attending at home in NYC only had one regular atendee who I would consider overweight. On top of that, it was all younger (30 and under) people, and maybe that has something to do with it as well. Not just where you live, but the age ranges.
 
Thank you for that post, wenchie. I appreciate your honest response. You sound a lot like one of my best friends. She weighs about 190, is 5'3", and rides her bike on mountainous roads 14 miles a day, 4 days a week. She eats a very healthy diet, but she can't lose weight to save her life. And when she complains about it and talks down about herself, I remind her that I couldn't ride a bike 14 miles ever. I'm physically active, but not that active. She's just naturally a big girl. And it sounds like you have a similar body and metabolism. And you ladies are both great examples of women who struggle with their weight/size but are still physically active and healthy. My sister-in-law has the same body type as well, and my brother calls her his fat bottomed girl, too. But the big difference between you 3 and what I'm talking about is the fact that you are physically active and you do eat a healthy diet. There are a lot of people who have that issue because of body type and metabolism. But they aren't the ones I'm really talking about.

PS. As far as I'm concerned, you have nothing to be ashamed about and I would never expect you or anyone else to be, no matter their size. Because while I am talking about weight, I'm really mostly talking about health.
 
In my opinion it has less to do with kink than the fact that we live in America, which as a whole, is pretty overweight. Like the Captains Wench said, I think it also might depend on where you live. The munches that I've been attending at home in NYC only had one regular atendee who I would consider overweight. On top of that, it was all younger (30 and under) people, and maybe that has something to do with it as well. Not just where you live, but the age ranges.

I think that may be true as well, Syd. Most of the people I have encountered locally have been from 40 well into their 60s, although there have been some in their 30s as well. And that was one of the things I am curious about. Is it primarily a US phenomenom? Is it something that is area-specific within the US as well?
 
In my opinion it has less to do with kink than the fact that we live in America, which as a whole, is pretty overweight. Like the Captains Wench said, I think it also might depend on where you live. The munches that I've been attending at home in NYC only had one regular atendee who I would consider overweight. On top of that, it was all younger (30 and under) people, and maybe that has something to do with it as well. Not just where you live, but the age ranges.

Yep.

I've varied from size 8-16 currently back up to 14. My SM participation has nothing to do with this, rather my love of shit I shouldn't eat.
 
I think it has to do with society, more so than kink, but do feel weight issues impact kink, so I've always been kind of surprised that there doesn't seem to be a greater percentage of kink minded people concerned about the health issues related to obesity.

I'm 5'8", size 8, average 140 - 145# on a small boned frame (depending on various factors), and try really hard to hit the gym for 20-30 minutes most days. And ya know what? I'm constantly getting nagged by the women I work with for being too thin/not eating enough. :rolleyes:
 
I am very fit, I wont say I am healthy as that is something I can’t control, and for that very reason I must compromise with fitness to have any quality of life.

Hence exercise is very important to me, especially cardio and endurance type things. I am not a martial artist, I am not interested in aesthetics or perfect movement, I just keep my body in pristine working order.

Any women I chose to have a serious relationship with must also be fit because she must be able to understand what I do as well as be able to keep up with the lifestyle.

As far as eating, I am not really concerned with that, with the exception of fast food. That stuff grosses me out. Most of what I eat I cook myself because I love cooking.

The few munches I have been too have been older, overweight people, not people I am remotely interested in sexually. This is in California, but its not true when they say everyone here is a health nut. Fast food was invented here, it also doesn’t help that nobody walk in LA.

I think obesity politics are similar to global warming politics, it’s a long-term problem, but people can’t quite it cause of convenients. After all, as a college student I know that taco tuesdays are far cheaper then raw ingredients.
 
Is it just my own perception, or does this lifestyle seem to have an unusually high percentage of overweight individuals who are active within it? Or do you think that those within the lifestyle mirror those in society as a whole?

I think it's simply there are a lot of overweight people out there in general. I also think that the lifestyle is, as a whole, more accepting of people as they are rather than what society thinks they should be (ie: thin, gorgeous and perfect). If the BDSM lifestyle was as harsh as society overall tends to be, I doubt you would see as many overweight or even disabled people attending events and munches because they wouldn't likely feel comfortable.

You rarely see overweight people at high class social events because upperclass society tends to not be very accepting of those that don't display as well as them :)

If you are in a D/s or M/s dynamic, is your partner in the same physical state (meaning physically fit or overweight) that you are in or are you physically opposites?

Ma'am would consider herself overweight. I consider her perfect. She is equally accepting of my weight.
As a Dominant/Master, do you encourage your submissive/slave to be health conscious? If not, is it because it is not important to you or because you are attracted to someone who is BBW?

Ma'am is attracted to me for who I am, not what I look like, although she often tells me I am beautiful. However, since our relationship is not romantic, I'm not sure if my weight or looks would make a difference in that regard. As her slave, it doesn't affect her attraction to me.

I myself am attracted to women that are curvy. I don't find thin attractive. Doesn't mean I wouldn't date a thin woman, I just would need to be attracted to something else. I'm also not generally attracted to blondes but I don't rule out anyone that is blonde or any such thing.

To say weight isn't important in regards to health would not be accurate. We both wish to be healthier and pursue that wish, just not always with success. We try. As far as attraction goes though, it is not an issue. I'd much rather be with someone I'm intellectually attracted to than someone I find perfectly proportioned. If I find both in one package? All the better!

If you are overweight, do you find that you have difficulty being as physically active as you would like to be? Are you comfortable being partially or fully unclothed if you play in public or at private parties with others?

Of course. Not to insult you, but that question seems a bit absurd. I don't imagine most overweight people strive to be overweight.

Am I comfortable being unclothed at play parties or whatnot? No. But I DO enjoy knowing Ma'am is pleased by my obedience, and I don't worry about it overmuch. If someone is not going to be attracted to be because of my weight, that is just fine. If someone is not going to wish to even befriend me or know me because of my weight, I'm very glad to find out early on how little we have in common, like acceptance and common courtesy, or lack thereof.
 
Ma'am is attracted to me for who I am, not what I look like, although she often tells me I am beautiful. However, since our relationship is not romantic, I'm not sure if my weight or looks would make a difference in that regard. As her slave, it doesn't affect her attraction to me.

I myself am attracted to women that are curvy. I don't find thin attractive. Doesn't mean I wouldn't date a thin woman, I just would need to be attracted to something else. I'm also not generally attracted to blondes but I don't rule out anyone that is blonde or any such thing.

To say weight isn't important in regards to health would not be accurate. We both wish to be healthier and pursue that wish, just not always with success. We try. As far as attraction goes though, it is not an issue. I'd much rather be with someone I'm intellectually attracted to than someone I find perfectly proportioned. If I find both in one package? All the better!
I really was posting more about the health aspect than the physical attractiveness aspect. I only spoke about that to explain my own position in relation to what I was posting. Yes, I prefer my partner to be height/weight proportionate. However, that won't keep me from becoming involved with someone who may be a little overweight. I won't date someone who is a lot overweight because first, he wouldn't be physically active enough for me to have much in common with him interest-wise, and second, because we differ in our view of control and being healthy. Even outside of the physical attractiveness, there are very specific reasons that it is important to me.

Of course. Not to insult you, but that question seems a bit absurd. I don't imagine most overweight people strive to be overweight.

Am I comfortable being unclothed at play parties or whatnot? No. But I DO enjoy knowing Ma'am is pleased by my obedience, and I don't worry about it overmuch. If someone is not going to be attracted to be because of my weight, that is just fine. If someone is not going to wish to even befriend me or know me because of my weight, I'm very glad to find out early on how little we have in common, like acceptance and common courtesy, or lack thereof.
Of course, I didn't mean to imply that people were overweight by choice, although I understand there are some for whom that is a specific kink. I was asking the question because I truly want to know how that may affect them. I am an exhibitionist, but I am still uncomfortable with my body. And it always takes me a little while when playing in public to not feel self-conscious. So I was curious about people who were overweight felt about it.

I think it has to do with society, more so than kink, but do feel weight issues impact kink, so I've always been kind of surprised that there doesn't seem to be a greater percentage of kink minded people concerned about the health issues related to obesity.
I agree, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with BDSM, but it seems to me that it would impact a person's level of play. And affect their play when one partner or the other may develop physical limitations.
And ya know what? I'm constantly getting nagged by the women I work with for being too thin/not eating enough. :rolleyes:
I often get the same thing at work. We have birthday treats for co-workers and my boss' wife is constantly cutting me a huge piece of cake or pie when I ask for something smaller and commenting that I need it more than she does.
 
Ma'am would consider herself overweight. I consider her perfect. She is equally accepting of my weight.
That's exactly my situation. My wife thinks she is overweight, I think she is perfect. She accepts my weight. The problem is that I don't accept my weight. :\
 
I think it has to do with society, more so than kink, but do feel weight issues impact kink, so I've always been kind of surprised that there doesn't seem to be a greater percentage of kink minded people concerned about the health issues related to obesity.

I'm 5'8", size 8, average 140 - 145# on a small boned frame (depending on various factors), and try really hard to hit the gym for 20-30 minutes most days. And ya know what? I'm constantly getting nagged by the women I work with for being too thin/not eating enough. :rolleyes:

....damn

look what the cat drug in
when did you get back

(sorry for the derail just excited to see CM)

pet
 
I really was posting more about the health aspect than the physical attractiveness aspect. I only spoke about that to explain my own position in relation to what I was posting. Yes, I prefer my partner to be height/weight proportionate. However, that won't keep me from becoming involved with someone who may be a little overweight. I won't date someone who is a lot overweight because first, he wouldn't be physically active enough for me to have much in common with him interest-wise, and second, because we differ in our view of control and being healthy. Even outside of the physical attractiveness, there are very specific reasons that it is important to me.

I understand. However, there are many reasons why a persons' physical activity level would not match your needs. Some overweight people are very athletically fit. Some thin people are very weak and unhealthy. So besides the extremely obese, I don't really see appearance as being a huge indicator of health. I do understand though...I would be very leery of dating someone who was obviously very fit and healthy because I would not have the same interests in activity as they would. I have health issues that prevent me from being in the sun or getting overheated in any way. This REALLY limits the physical activities I can do. I would be a disappointment to someone who loves to hike or bike or something.

Of course, I didn't mean to imply that people were overweight by choice, although I understand there are some for whom that is a specific kink. I was asking the question because I truly want to know how that may affect them. I am an exhibitionist, but I am still uncomfortable with my body. And it always takes me a little while when playing in public to not feel self-conscious. So I was curious about people who were overweight felt about it.

Honestly, I find it a bit of a thrill to be doing something I am so extremely uncomfortable with (being naked in front of others). In a way, it boosts my self-confidence. I CAN do this, I CAN survive this, that kind of mindframe. The thought there may be people standing there thinking "god what a fat ass" bothers me, but the realization that the only person who's opinion matters at ALL is my owner and she is pleased with my obedience more than makes up for those that are unimpressed with my appearance.

It's tough, but thrilling too. If I were thin, I would be one of those people with cleavage showing all the time and shedding clothes at first chance. I love naked bodies. I do wish I were more comfortable with my own and I never stop trying to achieve that.
I agree, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with BDSM, but it seems to me that it would impact a person's level of play. And affect their play when one partner or the other may develop physical limitations.

Actually, my weight is low on the list of things that affect our play. My deafness is high up there. My over-sensitive emotions ranks rather high, hah. My inability to handle heat (nothing to do with my weight) is the largest. My allergies. Probably the thing my weight affects the most is not being able to kneel for long periods of time.
 
I have struggled with an eating disorder pretty much since I was a teenager. I have a very skewed image of my own body. While I was married, I gained quite a bit of weight. My largest size was 14-16, which on my very petite frame made me look like a giant oompa loompa. I was physically uncomfortable. I had no stamina for anything and overheated easily. If I over exerted, it was painful. I had little energy and struggled to do normal activities, much less the activities I enjoyed. Even though I’ve lost most of the weight I gained then, I still feel that my body is unattractive. I’ll probably always feel that way about myself. But I have a better handle on behaving in healthy ways than I did in my 20s and even into my 30s. I just bought the first scale I’ve owned in probably 15 years and have to remind myself not to weigh more than once a day or I’ll weigh every time I enter the bathroom.

<SNIP>



Is that a naïve viewpoint? I’m sure some here will think so. And I’m sure it’s one that has kept and will continue to keep me single.
<SNIP>
I attended a munch today. There were probably about 2 dozen people there. I was the only female in the room that I would imagine did not wear a plus size. There were probably 2 or 3 men in the room who weren’t overweight, 2 of them submissives to 2 of the larger women. The restaurant we were in served overly large portions of standard diner food – deep fried and smothered in gravy. It took everything I could muster to look at people when they spoke because of the food they were eating. All of the people in the room were exceptionally nice people and I enjoyed myself immensely. But I won’t attend a munch again that includes eating.



I weigh myself once/day. As much as I joke about binge eating soy cheese, I count my calories etc etc. I'm not dating right now because I'm being hard on myself for being overweight (had a baby + sedentary job), and not having finished my degree. I feel as though I have nothing to offer someone, and I'm unhappy with myself, and when I'm in school I won't have time to cultivate a relationship, and balance school, work and motherhood - so those are the the main reasons as to why I do not date.

I eat in moderation. I alot myself an appropriate amount of calories, but I could incorporate more cardio into my day. I'm constantly kicking my own ass. I need to lose weight, but I'm still capable of doing all of the physical things that I always did.

My most healthy, was not my thinnest. At my healthiest I was very much into sports, but I was bulky and muscular. I ate whatever I wanted, and I could run and row all day.

At my thinnest I was weak, and physically ill, but I did not appear to be emaciated. Physical appearance is not always a quality indicator of overall health. (Nod to Serijules)

I do size people up when I meet them. I look at what they're wearing, I may even guess their weight, but I don't hold my assumptions against them. I merely observe.

What I wonder about mostly, is that last bolded part above. If you were enjoying yourself, and the company of others, why does it matter to you that they were overweight and eating? If they were thin folks and eating gravy and mashed potatoes would you feel the same way?

In my opinion it has less to do with kink than the fact that we live in America, which as a whole, is pretty overweight. Like the Captains Wench said, I think it also might depend on where you live. The munches that I've been attending at home in NYC only had one regular atendee who I would consider overweight. On top of that, it was all younger (30 and under) people, and maybe that has something to do with it as well. Not just where you live, but the age ranges.

I agree.
 
Last edited:
As the Dominant, shouldn’t the physical well-being of all parties be up to you?


Substitute "mental."

Still sound absurd? More, less?

I'm supposed to cook for us, count calories, put a boot on the car so he doesn't augment my cooking with late night snack runs, and also take over his metabolism. I guess I can cut his nic addiction too, while I'm at it.

Beat him more? Less? Leave him for someone slimmer since I'm off the wagon myself?

As for self control or lack thereof, it's a funny thing. I have amazing self control or none. I spent a year sticking to a diet so strict that most people would run screaming in terror. Nothing I ate was processed, came from out of my house. No grain of any kind, no sugar. A drink? Ha. Not even a salad dressing - oil and vinegar at the table.

Of course, once I heard the "remission" word, I figured once a week, I could reintroduce those things I missed. A little bread. A potato once in a while.

It's either on or off, I've discovered. I know I can turn it back on again. It's very hard to go into moderation mode when you crave everything that will probably kill you unchecked. Food addictions aren't some kind of willy nilly thing - I don't consider myself a "weak" person because my taste buds want to catch up on 1.5 years of ciabatta.
 
Last edited:
Substitute "mental."

Still sound absurd? More, less?

I'm supposed to cook for us, count calories, put a boot on the car so he doesn't augment my cooking with late night snack runs, and also take over his metabolism. I guess I can cut his nic addiction too, while I'm at it.

Beat him more? Less? Leave him for someone slimmer since I'm off the wagon myself?

Actually, neither sound absurd to me. If you are in any kind of permanent relationship dynamic, whether you live together or not, in my mind, each should be concerned about this in the other(s). Maybe I worded it poorly by saying 'up to you' instead of using terminology like 'of concern to you'. Seems to me if you care about the person you're in a relationship with, ALL aspects of health would be of significant concern. If you're the Dominant in a D/s relationship, then you also have the ability to exert control over that aspect that concerns you.

ETA: I wasn't trying to imply that you should chain him down or boot him out. Each relationship has its own dynamic. If it's not within your dynamic, it's not up to me to call it right or wrong. But absurd? No, I don't think the question is at all absurd.
 
Last edited:
Actually, neither sound absurd to me. If you are in any kind of permanent relationship dynamic, whether you live together or not, in my mind, each should be concerned about this in the other(s). Maybe I worded it poorly by saying 'up to you' instead of using terminology like 'of concern to you'. Seems to me if you care about the person you're in a relationship with, ALL aspects of health would be of significant concern. If you're the Dominant in a D/s relationship, then you also have the ability to exert control over that aspect that concerns you.

ETA: I wasn't trying to imply that you should chain him down or boot him out. Each relationship has its own dynamic. If it's not within your dynamic, it's not up to me to call it right or wrong. But absurd? No, I don't think the question is at all absurd.

Concerned yes. Engaged, yes. Influential, yes.

If you think that being sexually dominant puts you in charge of anyone else's addictions that way lies madness. There's one person whose mouth I put the food in. As for the other, the things I put on a plate for him are the right size and the right thing. I set him up with 300 cal premade curries and cans of soup for lunch. The rest is up to him.

You cannot, well, maybe someone can, but I cannot legislate health. I can study it, recommend it, cheerlead for it, set the example (the best way) - but every person has the *right* to their body and their own challenges with it. What wenchie talked about makes sense to me. If M comes to me for help, I help. But trying to mandate "health" from the top down - I've seen couples do this. I've never seen it work when there's a hitch in the relationship. It's the first "acting out" to happen.
 
Last edited:
Being someone who has had eating disorders in the past, what I read from your post is a few astute observations about the state of society as a whole, but I'm also reading a lot of *insert whatever makes you tick and think this way* (anxiety, control issues, compulsiveness, etc..?) that you have about yourself that is translating into how you view others.
I don't think that it has to do with any of those issues. But of course, I'm not objective about it since I'm talking about myself, am I? I actually don't have the anxiety over control issues that I had when I was in the midst of my eating disorder. My issues now only surround the way I view my body, not about what I eat or weigh. I've developed healthy ways to keep myself within a range - and until just the last week when I bought a new scale for the first time in 15 years, judged my 'weight' by how my clothes felt. As I said above, I no longer deny myself anything I want, I don't count calories ever, and if I over indulge one day, I just eat more healthily the next. I haven't obsessed about food in a very, very long time. (Or I should say, I haven't starved myself.)

I do size people up when I meet them. I look at what they're wearing, I may even guess their weight, but I don't hold my assumptions against them. I merely observe.

What I wonder about mostly, is that last bolded part above. If you were enjoying yourself, and the company of others, why does it matter to you that they were overweight and eating? If they were thin folks and eating gravy and mashed potatoes would you feel the same way?

Actually, my not being able to be there when food is involved had to do with the queasiness I felt by the amount and type of food that was served. It wouldn't have mattered if they were fat or thin or blue or purple. Have you ever sat across from someone who was eating something that grossed you out? It was the food, not the people, that made me feel ill. And since most of the local munches are at similar types of restaurants, with the same types and amounts of food, I just don't think I'd be comfortable.
 
Concerned yes. Engaged, yes. Influential, yes.

If you think that being sexually dominant puts you in charge of anyone else's addictions that way lies madness. There's one person whose mouth I put the food in. As for the other, the things I put on a plate for him are the right size and the right thing. I set him up with 300 cal premade curries and cans of soup for lunch. The rest is up to him.

You cannot, well, maybe someone can, but I cannot legislate health. I can study it, recommend it, cheerlead for it, set the example (the best way) - but every person has the *right* to their body and their own challenges with it. What wenchie talked about makes sense to me. If M comes to me for help, I help. But trying to mandate "health" from the top down - I've seen couples do this. I've never seen it work when there's a hitch in the relationship. It's the first "acting out" to happen.

And as someone who used starving as a way to control that aspect myself from about 16 until well into my 20s, I agree fully with that. But I'm also not talking about it from just a sexually dominant standpoint. My questions were more geared to those who are in a D/s relationship outside the bedroom as well, because that aspect would be more under the auspices of the Dominant. However, your point is valid. The submissive has the ability to act out, and will do so if s/he desires. Which could make the situation even worse.


ETA: My mother is an insulin-dependent diabetic. When we meet for lunch, it's usually at a Denny's in her town - her choice, not mine. She always orders a breaded chicken sandwich and seasoned fries. Anyone who has eaten at a Denny's knows that the fries cover the plate. My mother would eat all of them, plus her breaded chicken and the bun. And then wonder why her sugar was so high when she tested later. I can't make her make healthy food choices to save her life. Only she can do that. But I can refuse to have lunch with her if she's going to eat like that because I refuse to watch her kill herself. She still gets the breaded chicken sandwich, but removes the bun and has a salad instead of fries. Yes, she still eats them when I'm not there, but at least I don't have to watch.
 
Last edited:
Then there is the level of M/s in which I determine the animal's feed.

For better or for worse, that's not what I'm doing at this time or with M, probably ever.

It does have its appeal, on paper. I could actually do this, as I have the time, a lot of people don't.
 
I don't think that it has to do with any of those issues. But of course, I'm not objective about it since I'm talking about myself, am I? I actually don't have the anxiety over control issues that I had when I was in the midst of my eating disorder. My issues now only surround the way I view my body, not about what I eat or weigh. I've developed healthy ways to keep myself within a range - and until just the last week when I bought a new scale for the first time in 15 years, judged my 'weight' by how my clothes felt. As I said above, I no longer deny myself anything I want, I don't count calories ever, and if I over indulge one day, I just eat more healthily the next. I haven't obsessed about food in a very, very long time. (Or I should say, I haven't starved myself.)

I'm not saying that you're in the thick of it as you once were, from what I've read you seem to have a good handle on it, but I do think that it still affects your thinking. I do think that your own uneasiness about "specific types of food" in general may be holding you back, or making you more judgemental of others. As in, maybe you're projecting just a bit.

I'm not saying this to get your back up, or get you upset. It isn't said with malice, it's just the vibe I'm getting from your post.

BeachGurl2 said:
Actually, my not being able to be there when food is involved had to do with the queasiness I felt by the amount and type of food that was served. It wouldn't have mattered if they were fat or thin or blue or purple. Have you ever sat across from someone who was eating something that grossed you out? It was the food, not the people, that made me feel ill. And since most of the local munches are at similar types of restaurants, with the same types and amounts of food, I just don't think I'd be comfortable.

You said that you wouldn't involve yourself in a munch where eating was taking place.

Yes, other people eat food that I would not. They eat food that I would be nauseated by if I was asked to partake in it, but the fact that they're eating it does not make me nauseus or queasy. I suppose that's just me though. My stance is that what they eat is their decision regardless of the outcome. I have no control over that, and my lack of control does not bother me.

I don't want to get into a quibble with you over this. I was hoping that you'd address the other parts of my post as well.
 
Last edited:
I'm not saying that you're in the thick of it as you once were, from what I've read you seem to have a good handle on it, but I do think that it still affects your thinking. I do think that your own uneasiness about "specific types of food" in general may be holding you back, or making you more judgemental of others. As in, maybe you're projecting just a bit.

I'm not saying this to get your back up, or get you upset. It isn't said with malice, it's just the vibe I'm getting from your post.
I'm not at all upset. I took your comments seriously and responded as such. My original post wasn't about people who are moderately overweight. I am specifically talking about people who would be considered clinically obese. I can understand why you might view what I have to say as being judgmental and projecting. You're certainly welcome to that opinion. I disagree. No worries.
You said that you wouldn't involve yourself in a munch where eating was taking place.

Yes, other people eat food that I would not. They eat food that I would be nauseated by if I was asked to partake in it, but the fact that they're eating it does not make me nauseus or queasy. I suppose that's just me though.

I don't want to get into a quibble with you over this. I was hoping that you'd address the other parts of my post as well.
I'm not at all upset by what you said. My statement about the eating was specifically about the food not the people. That's all. If they held the munch at someplace other than a diner type place, I'd be more comfortable. There was little on the menu that interested me. As it was, I had a bowl of fruit and a glass of tea. Even their salads were way too huge for me. It was one of those places whose wagon wheel pancakes actually are the size of a wagon wheel. It wasn't the kind of place I would normally choose to eat.

I was hoping that you'd address the other parts of my post as well.
And so I shall . . .

What I feel as though I encounter a lot in the community is a lot of male Doms and subs who are gorgeous, and often times I feel unworthy of playing with them. I even see a lot of Doms mentioning that they're physically fit and expect that of their sub. Maybe we should swap notes or something. Where are all the husky Doms? Know of any in New England? LOL
I have had others tell me that on the East Coast this isn't as prevalent. So maybe I should come there for a visit and you should come to Phoenix.

But seriously, I don't think much about the physical attractiveness when I am in the local scene. It is the physical health that gets me. But why would you feel unworthy if they want to play with you? I guess my feeling is that if a Dominant likes me enough to play or to have a relationship, that in and of itself makes me worthy of him. No matter how much prettier he may be than I am.

Okay, not to hijack, but I've been wondering myself about D/s and eating disorders in general. Whether it be Anorexia, Bulemia, or over eating, does this apply more specifically to BDSM folks.

I've wondered this as well. In fact, it is one of the things that lead me to finally post this after several years of thinking about it. I've just noticed over time that number of larger individuals locally in the scene as increased. I don't know if it's BDSM specific or the US as a whole. But I know in my own extended family of 7 grandchildren, 2 of us had eating disorders. I was anorexic and my cousin was bulemic. Both of us also had issues with depression and anxiety disorder. Related? Probably.
 
Munches where I am were always at a place with atrocious food. I had a beer. I never went for the food, so the food never kept me away. I ate before or after.

There are so many other factors in terms of a person's health rather than size. I'd be a lot more worried about the sexual attiudes of the people I was scoping out in terms of sexual safety, condoms, you know, that stuff, rather than if they're having some cheese fries.

One of the food healthiest people I ever played with was an ex-user who was basically a cokehead without the coke lying creep. I'll take the cheese fries.
 
I'm tired and I don't feel well, so I'm not going to go into my normal rant.

Some people, due to health reasons, can't lose weight. Like people who've been off and on prednisone for years, are borderline diabetic, and have arthritis so can't do anything high impact. (See how quick I got my rant out?)

Is it just my own perception, or does this lifestyle seem to have an unusually high percentage of overweight individuals who are active within it? Or do you think that those within the lifestyle mirror those in society as a whole?

I don't know - we don't do play parties and stuff and truthfully I don't sit at munches and pay any attention to how much the other people there weigh. I really could care less, since whether I'm attracted to them or not is moot point - we aren't having sex.

If you are in a D/s or M/s dynamic, is your partner in the same physical state (meaning physically fit or overweight) that you are in or are you physically opposites?

K is a lot healthier and slim than I am. He's currently packing an extra 15 pounds that he gained while he had that hernia and wasn't allowed to work. I'm sure he'll lose the weight. Of course if ask him, he'll tell you he's hugely overweight and yaddayaddayadda. He's careful not to complain around me, I have NO PATIENCE for skinny people bitching about their weight. I'd LOVE to only be 15 pounds overweight. I'm currently about 100 pounds overweight and considering talking to someone about a gastric bypass.

As a Dominant/Master, do you encourage your submissive/slave to be health conscious? If not, is it because it is not important to you or because you are attracted to someone who is BBW?

K's my food nazi. I barely eat, but he makes sure that I don't go more than a day without eating SOMETHING. He also helps me stay out of chocolate and other stuff that irritates the lining to my colon. I have very little self control when it comes to chocolate.

If you are overweight, do you find that you have difficulty being as physically active as you would like to be? Are you comfortable being partially or fully unclothed if you play in public or at private parties with others?

Yes, it's hard to be physically active. I'm a freaken 100 pounds overweight! I looked it up and my bmi is 47. :eek: (Well, 41 if I do the height I WOULD BE if my back was straight.) Of course I'm not as physically active as I'd like to be. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what I do, cause it's NEVER going to come off. :mad:

As for being clothed or not, that's why I close my eyes. It's funny - some women close their eyes during sex cause they're pretending they're with someone else. I close my eyes cause I'm pretending I'M someone else. And if I see myself it kills the mood. Ew, just ew. But I'm not uncomfortable nude, just uncomfortable seeing myself have sex while I'm nude. Luckily, I'm VERY nearsighted, so even with the lights on and a full length mirror on the closet next to our bed I can't see myself.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top