Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
OmnislashXX
Really Experienced

A little Long...

The short story that I started writing ended up with the first scene being a twenty page introduction. It wasn't really supposed to be that long, but the whole thing ended up being a drawn out affair.

The worst thing about it is, I really haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. Sure there's Erotica.. like describing the intentions of the male and the sexual tension the female is experiencing, it'll be awhile before the real stuff starts.

Anyway, I suppose I should think of dividing it up into parts or chapters. Or I dunno, If I really do submit it as once piece, should I think people would want to read it all?

Last edited by OmnislashXX : 01-13-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmnislashXX View Post
The short story that I started writing ended up with the first scene being a twenty page introduction. It wasn't really supposed to be that long, but the whole thing ended up being a drawn out affair.

The worst thing about it is, I really haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. Sure there's Erotica.. like describing the intentions of the male and the sexual tension the female is experiencing, it'll be awhile before the real stuff starts.

Anyway, I suppose I should think of dividing it up into parts or chapters. Or I dunno, If I really do submit it as once piece, should I think people would want to read it all?
20 LIT pages or 20 word pages? Big difference. Better to use word count. My current work in progress is 50k words and I'm going to submit it as one story.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Haulover
Literotica Guru

Could you find a way to introduce an erotic scene during the 20-page intro?

Perhaps a flashback or something?

Neil

The stories so far

Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
OmnislashXX
Really Experienced

20 page word at the moment. I still haven't even completed the whole event. There is a whole lot of visual fantasizing going on, as well as descriptions of horniness, so maybe those bits and pieces will keep people interested.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

There are enough people out there (me included) who enjoy the setup/prelude to a fling as much as the fling itself. There are only so many ways to knot and shove human anatomy, and the right context or setting can make even the simple missionary a scorching adventure.

Don't worry about reader expectations and implied posting conventions. Write the story, polish it to a decent sheen and post it. People will read it.

More Than Video Games
My Winter 2016 contesst entry

My stuff on Lit

Old 01-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Quote:
20 page word at the moment. I still haven't even completed the whole event. There is a whole lot of visual fantasizing going on, as well as descriptions of horniness, so maybe those bits and pieces will keep people interested.
A very wise man once told me:

"Sit down and start typing. Let the words flow through your fingers without editing until you run down. Then delete the two-thirds that is total crap and edit the rest into a proper story."

Don't worry about length or anything else until you've completed the first draft. Until you do complete the first draft, you won't really know how much sex is lacking or how tedious the setup might be.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

Old 01-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

I dunno Word pages (never touch the stuff) but LIT pages are about 3750 words long. One LIT page is short. Many stories here are 2-3 LIT pages or 7k-10k words. How much is setup depends on what you're writing. As suggested, write your story and then cut the crap. (I try to avoid crap in the first place.)

Old 01-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Word count is still a better indicator. Word pages will vary depending on font, margin, spacings, all that stuff (I write in Times Roman 10 point with no spacing so I probably have a lot more words per MS Word page than you do for example. So if we go with a word count of 500-750 words per MS Word page, your story's at about 10,000 - 15,000 words. That's maybe 3 to 5 LIT pages which is about good size wise. Not too long at all.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
SusanJillParker
I'm 100% woman

Quote:

I'm writing a story now that's nearly 200 Word for Windows pages, 23 Literotica pages, that I'm thinking of submitting as one complete story rather than breaking it up in chapters as I usually do with a story this long.

I have one suggestion though. Being that I write erotica, I found that unless you write an obligatory sex scene in the beginning of the story and then write your character development, something to grab readers' interest, few will read it.

It's been a bitch to edit the thing. I hope it was worth the trouble. Yet, even though we write for free, we write because we must.

Go with your gut. Good luck with your story.
A three time winner of Literotica's year long, Survivor Contests, the writer with the most stories in the most categories wins. I finished 2nd three times and 3rd twice. More than twice as much, I've won more contest money than any other writer on Literotica.
As well as other secret names, I write under the names of AndTheEnd, BostonFictionWriter, CarBuffStuff, PositiveThinker, SuperHeroRalph and WmForrester. Now I write under my real name, my birth name, SusanJillParker.
I've written more than 2,000 stories and poems and more thany 10 million words, all posted on literotica. My story, I love you, Mommy, written under my WmForrester name was the most read story in all of 2010 and is #59 on the all-time most read list with 2 million hits.
I deleted 350 stories from my BostonFictionWriter name due to theft and have won three Green E's. Oh, and I'm modest too.