Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
JackLuis
Literotica Guru

Thumbs up "We're All Perverts":

Quote:
Christopher Ryan sits down with Reason contributor Thaddeus Russell to discuss his book, Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality. Together with Cacilda Jethá, Ryan has written about the history of human sexuality and why we should fight against "socially imposed restrictions." By looking at archaeology, primate biology, human physiology, and anthropological studies of pre-agricultural tribes from around the world, Ryan says we aren't meant to be in life-long monogamous unions.

Here My Stories

Creative Copulation - Gods do it too!

My New Best Friend, for our VE's

"Fiction writers are just liars with typing skills."

Old 11-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

"We're All Perverts":

What was your first clue.

Talk about preaching to the... Oh wait, we're perverts they don't allow us in.... Well, actually they do but we have to be covert about it.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 11-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
HandsInTheDark
Literotica Guru

Um... every society I know of, ancient and modern, has has some conception of marriage. In a few places it's supported one man and several women, and in a couple (ancient greece, 1700's france) it's been extended to allow for an extra partner on the side, but the concept of a closed unit family with tightly drawn sexual limits is universal. So is infidelity, but everyone in every culture hates a cheater, so who is he kidding.

"Pre-agricultural tribes"? If the best he's got is that monkeys and cavemen cheat, he's ignoring the thousands of years of human social development that rejected "See girl, mount girl, grunt grunt grunt, move on" as a poor genetic strategy.

I smell trash intended to appeal to everyone who's ever wanted to cheat on a spouse (or has and it looking for justification). That's a large audience and the book should do well, for much the same reason that cheap vodka sells well with alcoholics.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Ye gods, this is heavy stuff, and somewhat controversial.

Still, it might provide a backdrop for something in LW.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: We exaggerate the sexual appetites in ourselves to take the place of the love we inadequately feel. --Graham Greene
A few things come to mind about 'perversions' and fidelity:

A biographer of Gore Vidal, who used to pick up rough trade (boy-toys) around Naples, said Italian boys are raised as perpetual babies by their mamas and have fluid sexuality, available to fuck anything; and that all Italian wives cheat on their husbands.

In 1900 an estimated 25% of the adult women in New York City were prostitutes -- they had no other work available. Much of their trade was with married men. Prostitution has been rampant since forever -- the oldest profession, right? Marriage fidelity? Ha.

I know that in European history the aristos, warriors, merchant sailors, and commercial travelers were, shall we say, not always constrained by vows of matrimony. And certain festival days traditionally featured mass drunken fuckfests. Fun fun fun.

What we think of as the 'normal' nuclear family is an artifact of industrialization, with the workforce broken down into the smallest possible family units as interchangeable cogs. Pre-industrial families tend to extend across generations, with grandparents and their siblings, many of their children, and *their* children, all living in close proximity -- and little privacy. Families often kept servants who were often sexual toys of their masters.

What was there to do with one's spare time before the birth of mass entertainments? The usual amusements were fucking, religious gatherings, fucking, trade fairs, fucking, public executions, fucking, sporting events, fucking, rioting, and fucking. Face it: people have fucking around in many categories for a long, long time.

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Recent: What Is Incest? - FotoFun - Sweet Voodoo - Make Me Scream! - The Botanists

Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
JackLuis
Literotica Guru

I thought the points he made were pretty reasonable, monogamy is common, but should not be viewed as the only/right way to live.

Cheating and 'a bit of strange' are two different issues.

Ask Hillary.

Here My Stories

Old 11-11-2015, 02:13 AM   #7
JackLuis
Literotica Guru

How Drunkards, Whores & 'The Immoral' Shaped the Nation (w/ Thaddeus Russell)

Quote:
Thaddeus Russell is the author of A Renegade History of the United States. He takes a brash, maybe even borderline blasphemous look at the American bourgeoisie and puritans of the past. How did weekends come to be, and how did the mafia, brothel madams, minorities, homosexuals, and others considered "deviant" by the ruling puritanical culture help shape the nation? And is it possible to criticize the suffrage movement and even Martin Luther King Jr.?! Cenk Uygur hashes it all out in this probing interview with Thaddeus Russell.
Interesting viewpoint.

Here My Stories

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLuis View Post
Very interesting.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Location: We exaggerate the sexual appetites in ourselves to take the place of the love we inadequately feel. --Graham Greene
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLuis View Post
I thought the points he made were pretty reasonable, monogamy is common, but should not be viewed as the only/right way to live.

Cheating and 'a bit of strange' are two different issues.

Ask Hillary.
Hillary, right.

Anyway, I object to linking cheating with perversion. Infidelity is normal. Perversion is merely any socially non-standard sex act. Who said the worst perversion is chastity?

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "you had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write" -Anon
Story of my Fucking Life (LW) - "change you name from Hypoxia to DOA, you died on acid moron. borrow a gun and do the world a favor. I'll give you 5 stars after you commit suicide." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon

Recent: What Is Incest? - FotoFun - Sweet Voodoo - Make Me Scream! - The Botanists

Old 11-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
loquere
The Unmoved Mover

I've been told that there's a section of Lit dedicated to non-erotic works of art.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquere View Post
I've been told that there's a section of Lit dedicated to non-erotic works of art.
That's pretty pervy here.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
That's pretty pervy here.
A lot of the perverts around here graduated to proverts a while ago.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 11-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #13
LucidLucifer
Experienced

Well there's perverts and there's jaded degenerates.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #14
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
A lot of the perverts around here graduated to proverts a while ago.
Reminds me of that graphito joke, written [scribed] on a wall:

Original: I like grils

Someone with a sense of spelling crossed out grils and inserted 'girls'.

A third line read: "What's wrong with us grils, then?"

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 11-13-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
Reminds me of that graphito joke, written [scribed] on a wall:
My favorites are two I observed long ago in the same stall in a restaurant at Hollywood & Vine. One read:
Here I sit
On the pooper
Giving birth to
A state trooper
The other was a two-parter. In one hand was written:
My mother made me a homosexual
Just underneath, in another hand, was:
If I give her the yarn
Will she make me one too?
Each a classic in its genre, IMHO.