Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 11-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

Newsflash: Incest readers have no sense of humour

I read two or three incest stories – just to see what all of the fuss was about. I couldn’t believe how badly written they were. And yet how highly they scored.

So I wrote (well, dashed off) a bit of a satire. Absolute rubbish. But well-crafted rubbish. And, in two days, something like 30k readers seem to have taken it seriously.

I think I need a cup of tea and lie down in a darkened room.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Some of us try to craftily pen incestuous tales with non-stereotypical elements. But I can look at new submissions in almost any category and be immediately repulsed by the flood of illiterate shit sweeping past my eyes. Remember Sturgeon's Law: 95% of everything is crap. (As distinct from Sturgeon's Creed: In the winter I'm a Buddhist, in the summer I'm a nudist.)

Old 11-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
ChloeTzang
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamScribble View Post
I read two or three incest stories – just to see what all of the fuss was about. I couldn’t believe how badly written they were. And yet how highly they scored.

So I wrote (well, dashed off) a bit of a satire. Absolute rubbish. But well-crafted rubbish. And, in two days, something like 30k readers seem to have taken it seriously.

LOL. A lot of it's awfully bad, but then you get the odd moving tale of incest unleashed on an unwitting audience. There's gems in there, and not my own. It just takes a long time to find them, but the numbers of views .... incredible. Don't see the fascination, myself, but then I guess we all have our own little kinks.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:

I can't defend the quality of the stories in I/T. They're even talking to each other about which horrible, clichéd story line they're using now.

But to be even-handed, now you should write a satire of Romance and see what kind of reception you get.

Edit: i take that back. To be fair, maybe I should write a romance satire and we can compare the results. (Not likely to happen. I don't have the time.)

Last edited by NotWise : 11-27-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
Sammael Bard
Suit Up

Quote:

Welcome to Literotica.

AH Profile
My Stories and Erotic Art

Bard's Hideout [Construction in full swing]
My Fav Theme Song

Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
NicoleZ
Really Experienced

Quote:
I couldn’t believe how badly written they were. And yet how highly they scored.

So I wrote (well, dashed off) a bit of a satire. Absolute rubbish. But well-crafted rubbish.
Again, it comes down to that ever-present choice: Do you prostitute yourself and deliver the kind of rubbish Jane and Joe Public lurve or do you pursue your art? Writer, painter, sculptor - you name it. The choice is still the same.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:05 AM   #7
Nezhul
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleZ View Post
Again, it comes down to that ever-present choice: Do you prostitute yourself and deliver the kind of rubbish Jane and Joe Public lurve or do you pursue your art? Writer, painter, sculptor - you name it. The choice is still the same.
Well, this site doesn't PAY you anything for you to prostitute yourself. So I say just pursue your art.
I do it for myself, for my own enjoyment and to see my own fetishes and fantasies brought to life. No one will do it better than myself! Sharing it here is just a small bonus, not the goal. If you start to bend to public opinion and try to produce something that people will like but you yourself don't - well, than what's the point?

The only exception to bend to public tastes somewhat is if you write to sell. In that case you can make some concessions. While you are writing for other purposes, be it training or shameless self-gratification - you should write what you want and let those who dislike it fuck themselves =)

Old 11-28-2016, 01:29 AM   #8
MamasChastityBoy
Virgin

Quote:
Far easier to pursue your art when it's basically rubbish anyway! If only mine was the right kind of rubbish for mass appeal.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #9
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezhul View Post
Well, this site doesn't PAY you anything for you to prostitute yourself. So I say just pursue your art.
Dr Johnson said, "Only a fool writes, if not for money." Are many fools here, myself included. But it beats watching television.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:52 AM   #10
NOIRTRASH
Literotica Guru

SAM? Youre trying to sell veggies at a crack house.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
Dr Johnson said, "Only a fool writes, if not for money." Are many fools here, myself included. But it beats watching television.

How true.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 11-28-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
Nezhul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
thing is, you can't write for money right away, especially not erotica. If your last name is Rowling or Hamilton, you can get away with awful writing skills but the story that people like.
In erotic literature? I don't think you can.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
rawsilk

Quote:

Loved it to bits. Last thing in the world I would have read but for this thread. Thank you for such delightful lightheartedness. It felt like William growing up. The comments at the end were a hoot.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezhul View Post
thing is, you can't write for money right away, especially not erotica. If your last name is Rowling or Hamilton, you can get away with awful writing skills but the story that people like.
In erotic literature? I don't think you can.
Then why is there so much writing available here that's all about the scene, not the writing and there are so many folks writing it? I think the site itself refutes your statement. I also think that you seem to be denying what most of the story file here constitutes.

Similarly, if you think you can't sell poorly written erotica, you haven't delved into what is on sale at Amazon very deeply, I must say.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Nezhul

Quote:
Then why is there so much writing available here that's all about the scene, not the writing and there are so many folks writing it? I think the site itself refutes your statement. I also think that you seem to be denying what most of the story file here constitutes.
Exactly, the scene.
You need to be able to write good to write the scene down.

Mainstream readers can excuse you bad writing skills if your plot is good enough or if it fills the niche. You can be unable to express yourself in a good way, but you can still write a bestseller.

In erotic it's all about expression. If you compare literature to painting, then in mainstream there are people who can appreciate the message of the picture, the thought the author put behind it - even if it's drawn awkwardly or poorly.
But erotic readers need an eye candy to enjoy

Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #16
NicoleZ
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
If you think you can't sell poorly written erotica, you haven't delved into what is on sale at Amazon very deeply, I must say.
With well over 900 stories published here you must be kicking yourself. Hard.

Last edited by NicoleZ : 11-28-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #17
CyranoJ
Ustuzou

Your story was funny stuff, @SamScribble. Thanks for brightening my day.

(Avatar image used by permission from www.darkdad.com.)

"Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

- Frank

"These crab cakes are good as a mug. I fucks with these crab cakes."

- "Ann Coulter", The Boondocks

"[Fifty Shades of Grey] is an erotic coming-of-age story that's familiar to all of us from our own lives, and that honestly depicts realistic sex in a place where it actually happens: strapped into a harness in a sex chamber. Not in some... bed."

- Peter K. Rosenthal

Old 11-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
NicoleZ
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawsilk View Post
Loved it to bits. Last thing in the world I would have read but for this thread. Thank you for such delightful lightheartedness. It felt like William growing up. The comments at the end were a hoot.
Seconded!

It's such a scatterbrained delight it deserves to be 5-bombed. (It's one of those things that happens to Literotica stories.)

I won't spoil it for everyone else by posting quotes of the best lines, they really are priceless!

Old 11-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #19
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
I won't spoil it for everyone else by posting quotes of the best lines, they really are priceless!
I'm ridiculously inconsiderate.

"pulsating pork sword"

Old 11-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
NicoleZ
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I'm ridiculously inconsiderate.
Good for you!

Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #21
Jay321
Really Experienced

I had already read it, mainly because when I am looking through the list, I will read stuff from people in here. I saw it for what it was.

When it comes to incest stories I have decided that crap like this would get at minimum 3.5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidshit
"Hey, sis, what you doin'?"

"Nothin' im bored," She said yawning over her perkey 38III tits.

"Show me dem funbags." She stood pulling her shirt from around her trim waste.

"Cum over her and suck my dick," unbuttoning his pants to let out his 16" cock.

she moaned and took all of it in her mouth.
However, don't insult anyone that reads there. 1-bombs from everyone.

Don't fuck a stepsister either...

Old 11-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #22
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay321 View Post
I had already read it, mainly because when I am looking through the list, I will read stuff from people in here. I saw it for what it was.

When it comes to incest stories I have decided that crap like this would get at minimum 3.5 stars.
I would never last in a story long enough to get to that point if that's the way it's written. I have to finish a story to vote on it, so that story would never get a vote from me. If I actually slogged through it, then 3 would probably be the best it could get from me.

Quote:
My first I/T post was husband/sister-in-law. I floated the story idea on the feedback forum and was warned that it might not go well. The first comment was "That's not incest" and the second was "It's taboo, you idiot."

The story's rating isn't great because of the "not incest" thing, but also because it's less than a Lit page long -- somewhere around 2000 words, if I remember right.

Despite that, it's probably my most favorited story.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #23
Jay321
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I would never last in a story long enough to get to that point if that's the way it's written. I have to finish a story to vote on it, so that story would never get a vote from me. If I actually slogged through it, then 3 would probably be the best it could get from me.
I worked really hard to put in bad grammar and spelling into that. Short as it was, it was hard.

I had one that I wrote years ago that ended up a pretty high score, I read it now and think its real garbage. It was less than a Lit page.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 AM   #24
rawsilk

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidshit
"Hey, sis, what you doin'?"

"Nothin' im bored," She said yawning over her perkey 38III tits.

"Show me dem funbags." She stood pulling her shirt from around her trim waste.

"Cum over her and suck my dick," unbuttoning his pants to let out his 16" cock.

she moaned and took all of it in her mouth.
However, don't insult anyone that reads there. 1-bombs from everyone.

I reckon they just cut and pasted a session in LitChat for this quoted story, and added 'she said' later on