Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To... > HT Cafe

Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
bailadora
We create the dreams.

A cooking question

I ran across a great sale today and ended up bringing home 10lbs of pork loin ribs. I'm going to freeze some of it (along with a marinade) for future use, but I'd also like to try out a couple of different kinds of seasoning rub. Do I have to wait until the day I cook the ribs to add the rub, or can I add it and then freeze? Oh - and if anyone has any great marinade/rub recipes they'd like to share, please feel free - . Thanks!

What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling. ~ Lionel, Maid in Manhattan

Experience is what you get when you didnít get what you wanted. ~ Dr. Randy Pausch

This is LIT-erotica, where the size of your polysyllable matters. - swiped from Velvet Darkness

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who do not believe, no proof is possible.~ Stuart Chase

Swiped from Fire Breeze: my johari window. Curiosity and all that jazz...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding Dirty PMs: Don't bother. Your orgasm is not my problem.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
done_got_old
Mysterious Lady Undressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailadora View Post
I ran across a great sale today and ended up bringing home 10lbs of pork loin ribs. I'm going to freeze some of it (along with a marinade) for future use, but I'd also like to try out a couple of different kinds of seasoning rub. Do I have to wait until the day I cook the ribs to add the rub, or can I add it and then freeze? Oh - and if anyone has any great marinade/rub recipes they'd like to share, please feel free - . Thanks!
Some experts say you're not supposed to season meat then freeze it. My grandmother always seasoned her chicken before freezing it with Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. It was the best in the world. I use hickory smoked salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder for my ribs. It's simple, but it's what I like.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

In dog years I'm dead!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Thanks, DGO. I've never heard of hickory salt. I'll have to go searching for it.

What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling. ~ Lionel, Maid in Manhattan

Experience is what you get when you didnít get what you wanted. ~ Dr. Randy Pausch

This is LIT-erotica, where the size of your polysyllable matters. - swiped from Velvet Darkness

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who do not believe, no proof is possible.~ Stuart Chase

Old 05-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Opendoors
Virgin

do you have a smoker or maybe an old school weber kettle grill?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Opendoors: at the moment, we have no grill of any kind, except the grill pan that goes on top of the stove and I don't think that counts. I think the husband is going to be buying one within the next month or so. Honestly, I don't know how he's held out this long since our previous one went kaput.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
bettigirl
Experienced

I freeze meats in spice rubs on occasion, it actually seems to infuse the flavor, at least that is my opinion. It doesnt sounds so good but a good glaze for pork ribs or roast, if you like spicy is a dry rub of garlic powder, cracked red pepper, cyan peeper and light brown sugar. In the last 10 minutes of cookin mix orange marmalade and chipolte paste (as much as you like) and brush it on like a BBQ sauce.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Bettigirl: that sounds delish! I've never worked with chipotle paste. In terms of heat factor, is there a mild version? I've got young 'uns who's taste buds are a might sensitive.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
silverwhisper
just this guy, you know?

bailadora: first, nice score on the ribs!

i have a few thoughts--will return to this thread when time permits. but first: what are your preferences in ribs?

ed

exemplar of youthful snark: "does it hurt little boy? are you going to cry now? well suck it up and be a man."

psst! hey, wanna see a blog?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
cyikac1986
heartless bitch

Here's one I like

1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 pounds baby back ribs, cut into 2-rib portions

In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients except the ribs. Rub spice mixture all over the ribs. Cover and refrigerate ribs for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the ribs in a roasting pan. Bake for 1 to 2 hours, until meat easily pulls off the bones.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

All of our young lives we search for someone to love, someone who makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering if somewhere and somehow there is someone searching for us

Heartbreak brings us immense pain and suffering but in reality we must realize that it brings us one step closer to the one we are destined to be with

Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Cy: that sounds really good and I think I have all the ingredients in stock. Plus, I like the fact that you can make these in the oven. Hmm.. ribs on the menu for dinner tomorrow night.

Ed: These aren't really the traditional rack of ribs. The package says "Half Loin Ribs - Sliced. They really look more like pork steaks. But at $1/lb, I wasn't going to turn up my nose, either . Regarding traditional ribs: I prefer them dry. I don't mind a little mopping sauce, but once they're out of the pit/off the grill, you won't see me reaching for additional sauce. I like to taste the meat, not have it overwhelmed by the spices and seasonings. As far as heat factor, I'm not opposed to a little bit; however, I tend to keep it toned down because of the young un's. Any ideas you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know of this hickory salt DGO mentioned. I've been to three different stores, but no one knows what it is. Garlic salt, yes - hickory salt, no.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
cyikac1986
heartless bitch

It is usually in the gourmet section or I think McCormicks makes it as well in the spice aisle. Depending on where you live and the stores there, Safeway, Wegmans, and Harris Teeter have it.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

All of our young lives we search for someone to love, someone who makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering if somewhere and somehow there is someone searching for us

Heartbreak brings us immense pain and suffering but in reality we must realize that it brings us one step closer to the one we are destined to be with

Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Cathleen
Summer breeze...

I'm hungry!

I don't see why you can't but the rub on and then freeze, I see it at the store with the marinade and freeze those, not sure if it's the packaging that allows for that or not.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
done_got_old
Mysterious Lady Undressed

Quote:
Cy: that sounds really good and I think I have all the ingredients in stock. Plus, I like the fact that you can make these in the oven. Hmm.. ribs on the menu for dinner tomorrow night.

Ed: These aren't really the traditional rack of ribs. The package says "Half Loin Ribs - Sliced. They really look more like pork steaks. But at $1/lb, I wasn't going to turn up my nose, either . Regarding traditional ribs: I prefer them dry. I don't mind a little mopping sauce, but once they're out of the pit/off the grill, you won't see me reaching for additional sauce. I like to taste the meat, not have it overwhelmed by the spices and seasonings. As far as heat factor, I'm not opposed to a little bit; however, I tend to keep it toned down because of the young un's. Any ideas you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know of this hickory salt DGO mentioned. I've been to three different stores, but no one knows what it is. Garlic salt, yes - hickory salt, no.
I have Durkee New Orleans Old Hickory salt. It was in the regular spice aisle

I found this on their website:
For Durkee Products not available at your local store, please call Diversified Distributing at 1-877-453-1638 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday, to place your order. (Outside the U.S.: 515-986-9307).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by done_got_old View Post
I have Durkee New Orleans Old Hickory salt. It was in the regular spice aisle

I found this on their website:
For Durkee Products not available at your local store, please call Diversified Distributing at 1-877-453-1638 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday, to place your order. (Outside the U.S.: 515-986-9307).
Thanks, DGO. I struck out at Kroger's, Randall's, and Walmart (even the butchers had never heard of it), so it may not be carried in my region.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
Cathleen
Summer breeze...

I have a question about deglazing a pan. I really don't like the flavors of pretty much any alcohol which many use to deglaze. Tonight I cooked chicken and used a little cranberry with a bit of water, I liked it but need more ideas.

Any suggestions, please?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #16
TBKahuna123
Back in the Sunshine

You can deglaze with anything, really, it doesn't have to be wine or such. Heck I've used wine, water, fruit juice, broth, anythign but milk(very bad idea).

The point of deglazing is to make a sauce of some kind, so I tend to use stocks. I make my own stocks and freeze them periodically, but you can use canned broth too. If you are cooking chicken and want to make a sauce, use a little chicken broth to beglaze the pan, as it makes a perfect base for your sauce.

This is actually a pretty advanced concept you're wrapping your head around here. Most people I know thing the brown bits stuck to the pan are icky! They have no idea...

Tales of Love and Lust by my alter ego, xxistential.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
Cathleen
Summer breeze...

That's the flavor in those ickies! I have some veggie stock and didn't think of it and they're about a half cup size which is perfect for smaller meals.

I used ginger ale once and couldn't take it -- ginger is way strong for me, I'm very wussy with flavor.

Do you make veggie stock and if so, how? I can't seem to do chicken and be satisfied with it, it seems too cloudy and off tasting.

Thanks for your suggestions, Kahuna.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #18
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathleen View Post
That's the flavor in those ickies!
Your aren't lying! I can't believe people throw them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catheleen View Post
Do you make veggie stock and if so, how?
I've used this recipe and been pretty satisfied. I tend to save most of my scraps (celery tops, carrot and asparagus ends, mushroom stems) in the freezer until I accumulate enough to make a batch. The nice thing is that you can vary the flavor of the stock, depending on the herbs you use.

I've also used lemon and lime juice to deglaze a pan when I want a citrus type sauce. I did a lime based sauce over sauteed shrimp earlier in the week that really went over well. I imagine it might work well with chicken, so let me know if you're interested and I'll either post it here or PM you - whichever you prefer.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #19
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Cy: the ribs (ok - rib steaks), came out great! Thanks for sharing that recipe.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #20
cyikac1986
heartless bitch

Quote:
Cy: the ribs (ok - rib steaks), came out great! Thanks for sharing that recipe.
Glad I could help. Have to put this culinary education to some use

Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #21
TBKahuna123
Back in the Sunshine

Quote:
That's the flavor in those ickies! I have some veggie stock and didn't think of it and they're about a half cup size which is perfect for smaller meals.
That woudl work great!

Quote:
I used ginger ale once and couldn't take it -- ginger is way strong for me, I'm very wussy with flavor.
Too sweet. The sugar in it will carmelize instantly and make the ginger flavor not only stronger, but off.

Quote:
Do you make veggie stock and if so, how?
Never made veggie stock. I have a freezer full of tops and parts jsut for that, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quote:
I can't seem to do chicken and be satisfied with it, it seems too cloudy and off tasting.
Do you stir it? If so this is a primary cause of cloudiness. Also be sure to remove the skin. Here's my stock recipe:

6 quarts cold water
1 whole chicken, cut into about 6 pieces. Be sure you cut through the bones to expose the marrow.

1 lb. Mirepoix: 8 oz onions, 4 oz celery,4 oz carrots, all chopped (This is the traditional french base for stocks and sauces. This will also help with the clarification and gives a lot of flavor.

2 HEADS of garlic (cut horizontally in half)

Remove the skin! Cover chicken with cold water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 4 HOURS. Periodically skim off any scum that forms. You can skim the fat, but not neccesary yet.

After 4 hours, add the Mirepoix, garlic and a Sachet d'epices, a listed below. Simmer for 1-1 1/2 more hours.

Sachet d'epices:
1 teaspoon or so black peppercorns, cracked
8 parsley stems, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves
The above ingredients are placed into a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a tight ball.

Now strain the stock through a few layers of damp cheese cloth. I use a mech strainer lined with cheese cloth. Chill the stock in a ice water bath. This is very important because it's the safest way to cool it without growing bacteria. Once it's cooled, I usually say a little warmer than lukewarm, I pour it into 9x13 gladware pans and put int he freezer overnight. This will make the fat rise to the top and turn to gel.

the next day I skim off the fat, and you should be left with a pretty clear stock. I then freeze it in two ways. the first half I use freezer bags adn do em 1 cup at a shot. Next, I do the other half in ice cube trays. Comes out to about 2 tbsp. per cube. I put these cubes in big freezer bags and they are great for when I need just a small amount to add some flavor or saute somethign up quick. I save the bigger bags for soups and sauces.

Yeah this takes a lot of tiem, but it is totally worth it. Even compared to quicker stock recipes or canned broths, there is no comparison to the flavors of a good stock. But it's a commitment, to be sure. I usually take a whole saturday and make both chicken and beef stock. You can freeze it for about 6 months without worrying about it tasting off.

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions, Kahuna.
My pleasure. This board just merged my two favorite things: sex and gourmet cooking!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Quote:
This board just merged my two favorite things: sex and gourmet cooking!
TBK, care to talk about fish? I love it but for some reason, I can't cook it to save my life (well, at least can't cook it and be satisfied with the taste). I tend to like the mild/medium varieties like tilapia, red snapper, red onaga, mahi mahi and amberjack. I can't stand salmon as it's too strong of a taste for me, but the kids and husband like it.

Any ideas? I'd love to incorporate more fish into our diet.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #23
JustSkye
Gatinha

You should be posting in the foodgasms thread on the GB. Lots of yummy stuff there!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #24
bailadora
We create the dreams.

Oooo- thanks for the heads up. Yes indeed. Lots of yummy stuff over there.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #25
TBKahuna123
Back in the Sunshine

Quote:
TBK, care to talk about fish? I love it but for some reason, I can't cook it to save my life (well, at least can't cook it and be satisfied with the taste). I tend to like the mild/medium varieties like tilapia, red snapper, red onaga, mahi mahi and amberjack. I can't stand salmon as it's too strong of a taste for me, but the kids and husband like it.

Any ideas? I'd love to incorporate more fish into our diet.
Alas, fish is not my forte. I grew up eating fresh caught walleye and perch in Montana, so I have a hard time with most fist I can get out here, and I have no time anymore to fish. I'm also like you though, I prefer more mild, white flesh fish to things like Salmon.

Now we eat a lot of shellfish, but not so much regular filet fish. When we do I'm usually making sushi. It's wierd, but I like raw tuna, but dont really care for it cooked, probably because most places overcook it.

I'm really not much of a fish person, but that's mainly because I always thought the only good way to cook it was to fry it. Now that I'm trying to eat a more healthy diet, I'm really trying to work it in an learn to cook it.

That said, Sunday I'm planning on trying out my first original fish recipe. If it works, I'll post it for ya. Not sure what kinda fish I'm gonna use yet, it depends on what I can find. With I could get snapper out here. God I miss Pike's Market in Seattle.

Now if you want a nice seafood aphrodisiac, I got a killer oyster soup recipe. And it works.

EDIT: One thing I meant to mention, don't overcook your fish. I grew up with a mother who cooked the crap out of EVERYTHING, and it really turned me off to most unfried fish. If you have good fresh fish you don't need to cook it too long, as this will just dry it out. This is especially true with most lean white fish. That's why they just sear the outside of a Tuna steak.

Last edited by TBKahuna123 : 05-09-2008 at 01:55 AM.