Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Saxon_Hart
WWJD for a Klondike Bar?

A question for my fellow perveyers of filth.

I have a simple question for my fellow authors. Do you ever get turned on by what you are writing? As for myself, I am usually working ahead of what I am writing and rarely do. I did however when I wrote the first portion of my new one due to be published soon. I was curious whether anyone else ever get worked up by their own work.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Why else would I write it?

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
luvthedesserts
luvherdesserts

If I don’t, I consider it poorly written and start over. I have the characters in my head going at it and have no choice but get aroused. I simply write down what they’re doing as they interact with each other. If they’re poorly conceived or their personalities are not to my taste, I toss them in the wastebasket.

The outline system doesn’t work for me. I have to simply let the character do whatever the hell he/she wants to do. Sometimes even to my surprise. (Maybe I’m strange. I don’t know.)

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
D_Lynn
Really Really Experienced

Absolutely.

I'm a method writer, so I don't know in advance exactly what is going to transpire between the characters. I have some inkling where the story will go and roughly how it might end. I know this sounds absurd, but sometimes the characters surprise me. (Or more accurately, what I write while in character catches me off-guard.)

And as Pilot succinctly put it...Why else would I write?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
lovecraft68
Not one of the cool kids

First time around and on the fly, hell yes. There's a seen in SWB that had me so wound up I had to stop halfway through and go hunt down the wife. Normally stopping in "mid-sex" is not a good idea, but this scene had got me to the point that I picked right back up where I left off.

However, after the third or fourth run through it loses its shine.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

The Best 3 minutes of news I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdmtJCEWPA

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Cruel2BKind
Things Fall Apart

It becomes a problem.

I work very well when I am aroused. As soon as it becomes too much and I 'take the edge off' I lose my spark. I usually stop writing.

These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
luvthedesserts
luvherdesserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel2BKind View Post
It becomes a problem.

I work very well when I am aroused. As soon as it becomes too much and I 'take the edge off' I lose my spark. I usually stop writing.
I have to wander through the forums or read someone else’s work when that happens. Sometimes even switching stories to get two new characters in my brain. Clear the palette, so to speak. Though, going to sleep thinking of my character’s adventures is how I come up with some of my best stuff. Not saying my stuff is all that good, but it seems to work.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
GinaeEvans
Literotica Guru

I basically just write down some of my fantasies, so yeah. It arouses me. It's a win win.

I don't dislike you. I nothing you.

I am a cunning linguist.

"Will you step into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
SevenSquared

I do, and I find it annoying. It makes it difficult to concentrate and makes writing sex scenes slow to a crawl and I often need to go back and correct a bunch of stuff where I just wasn't really focused. I find writing the non sex parts so much easier.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Lynn View Post
Absolutely.

I'm a method writer, so I don't know in advance exactly what is going to transpire between the characters. I have some inkling where the story will go and roughly how it might end. I know this sounds absurd, but sometimes the characters surprise me. (Or more accurately, what I write while in character catches me off-guard.)

And as Pilot succinctly put it...Why else would I write?
A method writer! I love that.
(BTW how was London?)

I'm with Lovecraft. I get excited at first but several edits in, it becomes a day job. Sometimes when I'm reviewing stories I get excited but that gets a bit like a day job too. I skim through, thinking: 'where's the condom, OK, no condom, this is just for fun then, Oh dear I need to lie down quietly again'.

Submission. I mean my submissions.

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other nine hundred and ninety-nine follow women. - Groucho Marx.
You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog
My blog reviewing erotica: Feminist Erotica

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Sometimes, but only when I have the first idea for a story.

Not while I'm writing or editing.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
someoneyouknow
Literotica Guru

Just piling on to what others have said. Yes, I can, and do get aroused writing my own stories, but, as several on here have already said, only the first time or two. Once in editing mode, fuggedaboutit.

This is especially annoying when I'm writing at work and I'm getting into a good part and suddenly my job interferes with my writing.

Also, like others on here have already said, I don't have the entire story planned out. I start with an idea and the story flows forth (or has fits and starts, as the case may be).

There's a reason they tell you it's the quiet ones you have to watch for

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
The_shadow_rising
Really Experienced

That's part of the reason it takes me so long to write, and also why two of my series' aren't finished yet. I'm a firm believer that an author should only write what they know/enjoy, and if you aren't at that moment then you shouldn't work on it as it will lack the heat that your own horniness adds to it. It's like the heart of the work is mechanical without any life breathed into it otherwise.

I've found people can tell the difference and enjoy more what you've really enjoyed yourself.

Fucking love the stories I write, and those that I've enjoyed most of others' have been those that did the same.

-The Shadow Consuming-

...All Hail the Princess of Lust, All Hail the Dark Mother...

"I'm a fear from a shadow land, I seduce you all..." W.A.S.P., 'Charisma'

"Be obscene, be be obscene, be obscene baby..." Marilyn Manson, 'mOBSCENE'

"There's no time to discriminate; hate every motherfucker that's in your way" Marilyn Manson, 'The Beautiful People'

"There's a party over here, party over there. Rebels, throw your fists in the air. Bitches, throw your tits in the air" (Hed)P.E., 'Crazy Legs'

Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
iluvitall
Virgin

Yes, I do get turned on by what I write. There are obviously parts of the story that are providing the context, but when it is time to write the erotic passages, I typically write only elements that turn me on. Occasionally I choose a character that is quite unlike me and interested in behaviors not attractive to me, so I am not turned on by those things. I don't outline the stories, and I let the characters go where they wish. However, my libido drives theirs most of the time.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Tx Tall Tales
Literotica Guru

Absolutely. More than most other stuff I read, to be honest. Of course it makes sense, it caters directly to my taste.

I have at least a dozen or more stories of my own and go back and read regularly. Some for the hot parts, some because I just like them. I've probably read The Accidental Nudist Cabin a dozen times. Shame on me.

#1 Horror

Contest Winner
#1 Romance

#1 Exhib/Voy

#1 Group Sex

#1 Lov. Wives

Contest Winner
#1 How-To

* rankings snapshot 10/25/2013 *

Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

Yes, I do. I find it difficult to be clinical when your characters are getting it on. I don't do outlines, I just set down a basic storyline in my mind and let the characters do what they will. I do find the whole story fun to write, though, not just the sex scenes.

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_shadow_rising View Post
That's part of the reason it takes me so long to write, and also why two of my series' aren't finished yet. I'm a firm believer that an author should only write what they know/enjoy, and if you aren't at that moment then you shouldn't work on it as it will lack the heat that your own horniness adds to it. It's like the heart of the work is mechanical without any life breathed into it otherwise.

I've found people can tell the difference and enjoy more what you've really enjoyed yourself.

Fucking love the stories I write, and those that I've enjoyed most of others' have been those that did the same.
Sometimes what I write turns me on although I didn't mean it to. I started writing werewolf stories for other reasons but because I had to write it sexy, I got into it. I felt kinda strange when I went to someone's party and realised I was eyeing up the labrador in a way I never thought I'd look at a dog. (Yuck yuck! not for real, I just thought about it. ROFL.)

TXTallTales, thanks for reminding me about the Accidental Nudist Cabin. I keep meaning to read it, isn't that the one lots of others say is really hot? In which case, no wonder you keep going back to it!

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other nine hundred and ninety-nine follow women. - Groucho Marx.
You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
RuzieD
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Why else would I write it?
Yup. Exactly.

I don't get turned when I edit. I get turned on when I draft though.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #19
D_Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Tall Tales View Post
I've probably read The Accidental Nudist Cabin a dozen times. Shame on me.
That's funny, so have I. Maybe that's why that particular story is on my favorites list.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #20
D_Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaokoSmith View Post
A method writer! I love that.
(BTW how was London?)
Oh, dear...London. I was there the day that all the snow seemed to shut everything down. It was a challenge for sure. But, I will be going back in early March for business and will most certainly add a few days for pleasure.

It didn't even matter that it snowed. I'm hooked.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Quote:
Oh, dear...London. I was there the day that all the snow seemed to shut everything down. It was a challenge for sure. But, I will be going back in early March for business and will most certainly add a few days for pleasure.

Fab! We must find some more excursions for you!

You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog

Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaokoSmith View Post
TXTallTales, thanks for reminding me about the Accidental Nudist Cabin.
It's probably the best story on the board.

Quote:

I should point out that there are other cities and towns in this "Orb'd and Sceptre'd Isle" which also deserve some attention.
After all, you would not want the USA to be judged solely on New York, would you?

After all, history is what is at the heart of England.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
After all, history is what is at the heart of England.
Given whose thread we're on, shall we say, the heart of anglo-Saxonry

You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog

Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
TimothyM

Yep, count me in the tally

Of being aroused by own stories AND liking The Accidental Nudist Cabin

And I'm going to confess to something even more embarrassing:
I'll even think of particular scenes from my stories when I'm getting off at other times and places. I've got a few favorite ones that'll ususally take me over the edge.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyM View Post
Of being aroused by own stories AND liking The Accidental Nudist Cabin

And I'm going to confess to something even more embarrassing:
I'll even think of particular scenes from my stories when I'm getting off at other times and places. I've got a few favorite ones that'll ususally take me over the edge.
OK, I'll 'fess up too. I did base one of my stories on a private fantasy. NOT the werewolves!

I often think of you guys' scenes ....

You can follow me here:
Naoko Smith's Blog