Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To...

Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #1
Delilah_Night
Experienced

Does anyone know anything about sailing (18th century)

Hi all

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone here know about 18 th century sailing? Editing my next novel, and I could use the input (paid) about boats, knots, pirates, etc. I've read a lot of non-fiction about the topic, but I've never sailed on a ship or tired a knot.

XO

Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Amazon Author Page

Capturing the Moment is now available on Amazon , iTunes, Google Books, Kobo, and from my publisher, Totally Bound.

You never forget your first love…

Meg and RJ were passionately in love. But that was six years and a broken engagement ago.

Meg has only one day in Siem Reap, Cambodia, before she must leave for her sister’s wedding in Bali.

RJ's come to Siem Reap to win back the woman he’s never stopped loving. But first he has to convince her to spend the day with him.

Meg is as physically attracted to RJ as she ever was. Maybe the secret to finally getting over him is a one day only, no strings attached fling.

Can RJ win Meg back, or will she love him and leave him?

Excerpt
Free copies for book reviewers
Win a copy on Kindle here

Old 05-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
wanderingwizard
Virgin

I have learned some of the knots before (clove hitch for instance). Wish I could help more

Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Reading the Hornblower books by C S Forester should give you more than you need to know. His seamanship was accurate.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
GrrlFriday
Literotica Guru

+1 for Hornblower - CS Forester is detailled. That level of real world detail and realism (in the same way as you can actually do the math for Larry Niven's Ringworld) is a key appeal of those books.

The International Guild of Knot Tyers (yes, that is a thing...) has a list of knots known in the 18th century: http://www.igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=600.0

Any good knotting book would be able to tell you the general uses of the knots, but here is a list of knots and what they're used for on board a ship: http://www.boatsafe.com/marlinespike/know.htm

Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
albertaboy
Literotica Guru

The Patrick Obrien Master and Commander series was fantastic.

I have no idea what half the terms actually mean, but it's like sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express, I think I do.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
JustaSCOUNDREL
Literotica Guru

I may be able to give you a hand. I spent over 24 years in the U.S. Navy (steel ships)I have read every Hornblower book several times and was reading about the U.S.S. Constitution in the war of 1812 and another from the POV of a young Midshipman serving in a privateer.

I was also on my Boy Scout troops Knot tying team.

Ask what you want and I'll do my best to answer or do the research to find the correct answer.

Mike

There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men.

Always, bring a gun to a knife fight. I suggest an XM-50 so you can reach out and touch that fucker from 2000 meters and he has no idea you are that close.
As a wise man once said "Never give a sucker an even break."

Dear Wine
We had a deal you were suppose to make me sexier, hilarious and a better dancer . I saw the video. We have to talk.

Don’t die a virgin—terrorists are up there waiting for you.
Remedies are available, inquire within.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
patient1
Mr. Cheyenne

That's my favorite sort of fiction. Good Luck!

I offer my services as a Beta Reader.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
Delilah_Night
Experienced

Thanks for all your support and suggestions! I'm dealing with an unexpected health crisis, so I'll be following up with some of you (and definitely checking out the hornblower series) once things settle down.

Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Amazon Author Page

Capturing the Moment is now available on Amazon , iTunes, Google Books, Kobo, and from my publisher, Totally Bound.

You never forget your first love…

Meg and RJ were passionately in love. But that was six years and a broken engagement ago.

Meg has only one day in Siem Reap, Cambodia, before she must leave for her sister’s wedding in Bali.

RJ's come to Siem Reap to win back the woman he’s never stopped loving. But first he has to convince her to spend the day with him.

Meg is as physically attracted to RJ as she ever was. Maybe the secret to finally getting over him is a one day only, no strings attached fling.

Can RJ win Meg back, or will she love him and leave him?

Excerpt
Free copies for book reviewers
Win a copy on Kindle here

Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
patient1
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
Reading the Hornblower books by C S Forester should give you more than you need to know. His seamanship was accurate.
My personal favorite author of historical nautical fiction was his protégé Dudley Pope.